What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB A.J. Dillon, GB (1 Viewer)

They should have drafted a WR, not A J Dillon. 
Agreed.

Receivers who were still available in the third & fourth round after the Packers selected A.J. Dillon late in the second round:

Bryan Edwards

Devin Duvernay

Lynn Bowden

Gabriel Davis

Antonio Gandy-Golden 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

Receivers who were still available when the Packers selected A.J. Dillon who were selected in the third & fourth round:

Bryan Edwards

Devin Duvernay

Lynn Bowden

Gabriel Davis

Antonio Gandy-Golden 
I think Edwards is a good argument, but Dillon > WR wasn't the problem with that draft. They'd have been fine if they stayed put in round 1 and picked either Higgins or Shenault. Then came back with Dillon. Or picked JT. Then came back with Edwards. The problem is/was Jordan Love.

I think Edwards is a good argument, but Dillon > WR wasn't the problem with that draft. They'd have been fine if they stayed put in round 1 and picked either Higgins or Shenault. Then came back with Dillon. Or picked JT. Then came back with Edwards. The problem is/was Jordan Love.
I could think of other RBs I would prefer over Dillon at that spot if they had to have a RB.  I think he has a lot of bust potential. 

I could think of other RBs I would prefer over Dillon at that spot if they had to have a RB.  I think he has a lot of bust potential. 
I probably could too, but I also think every RB after Dobbins fell off the board either came with a low ceiling (i.e. Vaughn and Moss) or increased bust potential (i.e. Dillon and Gibson). That's why they were still available that deep into round two. I'm not going to slam the table for or against Dillon. He doesn't elicit that sorta reaction. 

Jordan Love does though.

Agreed.

Receivers who were still available in the third & fourth round after the Packers selected A.J. Dillon late in the second round:

Bryan Edwards

Devin Duvernay

Lynn Bowden

Gabriel Davis

Antonio Gandy-Golden 
Bryan Edwards would have been a great pick there.  Just brutal.

A.J. Dillon (RB, GB) - Rookie Running Back Draft Values

BALLER MOVE: Target Around ~154 Overall

CURRENT ADP: ~172

ANALYSIS: The rookie out of Boston College is a beast at 6' and 247 lbs, and a snapshot of his "massive legs" (coach Matt LaFleur's words) went viral early in training camp. He rushed for 5.2 yards per carry and totaled 40 touchdowns in college, leading the ACC with 1,685 rushing yards in his final season.

His path to fantasy-relevant playing time hinges on his ability to cut into either A) Jamaal Williams' snaps, because he simply hasn't shown that he deserves the touches he gets at a putrid career average of 3.9 yards per carry (PFF projects Dillon to get 90 opportunities compared to Williams' 140 at this point), or B) cut into starter Aaron Jones' goal-line looks, as Jones had a league-high 16 rushing touchdowns and that's obviously due for a regression to the mean (Jones projects to 9 rushing TDs in 2020).

Whether or not you want to take a flier on Dillon will depend on how much of a bite you think he takes out of the Jamaal Williams and goal-line roles. Also, consider that Jones is on a contract-year and that Dillon cost Green Bay a second-round pick (62nd-overall), which most probably means that he will be the future of the Packers backfield and that could start this year if they want to have the newcomer installed as soon as possible.

Dillon is definitely an intriguing back with upside if he outperforms Williams (nothing too crazy to think can happen) to end as Green Bay's RB2 and rack up some good fantasy points throughout the year. Also, he looks like a great target for handcuff-guns.

The Athletic's Matt Schneidman expects A.J. Dillon to be the Packers' No. 3 running back early in the season.

It's not a big surprise. The second-round athletic freak is still working on his all-around game and was hurt by limited training camp reps. The Packers RB coach reportedly wants to see Dillon improve as a receiver before he jumps Jamaal Williams on the depth chart. This could be a situation where Williams simply gets the veteran nod, but it makes Dillon a pure insurance hold only in deep fantasy leagues. With that said, Dillon never profiled as a three-down player. Instead, his potential upside comes as 247-pound power back. It's to be determined if Dillon gets many goal-line reps in 2020 with Aaron Jones coming off a 16-touchdown 2019 season.

RELATED: 

Aaron Jones

, Jamaal Williams

SOURCE: The Athletic

Sep 7, 2020, 11:12 PM ET

JohnnyU said:
Traded him and Robinson for 2 2021 2nd rd picks this morning.  When I drafted Dillon this year at 2.07 it was BPA, so I wasn't enamored with him.
Nice, I grabbed him at 2.08 myself. I was looking at it as more of a 2021 season play. But that isn't looking too good now.

Nice, I grabbed him at 2.08 myself. I was looking at it as more of a 2021 season play. But that isn't looking too good now.
We will see if that extension comes to fruition.  How the season plays out will likely inform the Packers’ thinking.

Yeah, any time the player says he and his agent are working on an extension it's suspect how close in terms the parties are, if they're close at all. 

There may be something to this, but this is where following this sort of stuff daily should put you. Nobody should be all that concerned when a player in the last year of his deal makes it seems the team wants him by issuing vague -- or even 'definite' -- statements.

You certainly shouldn't move Dillon if you didn't want to upon hearing that. (Not saying JohnnyU did for that reason, but one just shouldn't.)

I have A Jones AND AJ Dillon.  If Dillon truly is 3rd string I'll likely use that slot to grab someone who over performs week 1 with a chance of catching a lucky surprise.

Most of the rookie RBs who were taken in high draft picks are buried in bit bottom of depth chart.  It's simply matter of time before they earn opportunity for more touches as season progresses.  The RB attrition compels almost every team to have sufficient depth.  Beside, I think Packers will use Dillon much more during latter end of the season especially with the cold climate.

Packers head coach Matt LaFleur said he's confident rookie RB AJ Dillon can take on a larger role if Aaron Jones (calf) is out against the Texans. 

Jones is a game-time decision after tweaking his calf in practice. We'd expected Jamaal Williams to lead the backfield in touches if Jones is inactive. Dillon could approach double-digit touches, depending on game script. Williams this season has played 44 percent of the team's offensive snaps; Dillon has played 9 percent. Both backs should be rostered with Jones iffy to play this week. 

RELATED: 

Aaron Jones

, Jamaal Williams

SOURCE: Tom Silverstein on Twitter 

Oct 23, 2020, 3:06 PM ET

I'll take the under.  Been a Packers fan long enough to know that Jamaal Williams will get the lion's share of the work if Jones is out.  They trust him.
Dillon was a second rounder for a reason, I added him preemptively and I don't think I have to start him anywhere but I kind of wonder if they won't want to know what they have in him so they know how to plot their offseason

I have gio in over him right now. I’m expecting a nuclear type explosion from him. Do what you will with that info. 

Dillon was a second rounder for a reason, I added him preemptively and I don't think I have to start him anywhere but I kind of wonder if they won't want to know what they have in him so they know how to plot their offseason
The first goal is to win. Even if it's a 70/30 breakdown favoring Jamal, they should know what they have in Dillon. He should get most of the short yardage and goal-line work. 

We've been saying that all year long. Packers are one of the worst (if not the worst) teams in the league from the one-yard line, and yet they've refused to use Dillon. That should tell us something.

We've been saying that all year long. Packers are one of the worst (if not the worst) teams in the league from the one-yard line, and yet they've refused to use Dillon. That should tell us something.
Tells me there’s an opportunity they have been missing. All it takes is one or two for the dam to break when it comes to goal line work.

If AJ sits I’m faced with a Fournette or Dillon decision tomorrow.  Leaning Dillon almost solely because of Houston’s run D.  

dkp993 said:
If AJ sits I’m faced with a Fournette or Dillon decision tomorrow.  Leaning Dillon almost solely because of Houston’s run D.  
They are saying GB is keeping Jones out, so I expect a big second half from Dillon. He’s going to feast on that putrid D

dkp993 said:
:excited:

If Jones is out I'll get to start Dillion over Frank Gore :) (yeah my rb2 is that bad)

Dillon has to be able to catch a dump pass screen and pick up the blitz and know when to do which as the play breaks down.

Any curiosity won't supercede keeping Aaron upright. 

Byes...I get it, otherwise I wouldn't start him in FF til he passes the pass pro test

They are saying GB is keeping Jones out, so I expect a big second half from Dillon. He’s going to feast on that putrid D
But its not like Green Bay is a shut down D, Houston should keep scoring, so I'm a little less bullish on him, otherwise I could see this playing out

FWIW I heard DeSean Watson was been playing great football since they fired BOB. While Houstons defense is the worst against the run in the league right now and a good match up for any RB I don't see it being a boat race by GB where they can just give Dillon the ball and close things out in the 2nd half.

I think Dillon has really good burst and power. His change of direction ability isn't bad for a guy his size. He has good footwork and jump cuts to change lanes. I think he is a better RB than Jamal WIlliams but as Bri says it will take awhile for him to master the pro game and earn the trust of the coaches in pass pro and so on.

If you look at his first run in the NFL here he has the burst through the hole to make Jaylyn Holmes miss with an arm tackle. Watching really slow, Holmes beats his block and moves into the lane where Dillon is going. He puts his head down to drive on a tackle on Dillon but the burst of acceleration is so good he misses him, he is behind the target point and he only gets an arm on him as he goes by. Then Kendricks sheds his block and takes on Dillon center mass. Kendricks doesn't suck but Dillon pushes him back at contact and if Kendricks doesnt grab on to his leg Dillon might have been able to get forward lean after the run.

I think he is going to be a good player.

Anyone considering playing him today out of desperation? I am debating between him and Bell. Total mysteries workload wise. 

I've been reading and watching a ton since last night. 

LaFleur (all but one time) says AJ not Jamaal as the replacement over n over. That's significant.

I think Jamaal. I think the Packers missing their LT is another sign for Jamaal.

The Packers (WR injuries and LT) should probably use the Titans two and three TE set and grind with their RB but they haven't done that all year. LaFleur clearly believes in his QB regardless of circumstance and I appreciate that.

It's curious that AJ, LaFleur, and Aaron spoke of him being surprised he had a twenty yard run last week. This makes me think short yardage back.

The Titans lost their LT against JJWatt last week and he moved over to face his replacement. Once his replacement did well, JJ moved around as he does but seemed to be opposite LT a bit more than I'd expect. You have to figure the same with GB missing their LT this week. 

I guess I'd start Dillon if I had to, you can't ignore the coach saying that. I still highly question it. LaFleur has had plenty of sleepless nights trying to deal with Clowney, Watt, and Mercilus. Their D isn't the same but I don't think LaFleur forgot and is gonna risk Aaron

Anyone considering playing him today out of desperation? I am debating between him and Bell. Total mysteries workload wise. 
Yes, yes I am. Not going to say that it is with any degree of confidence, but between Mostert and CMC, Gaskins and Taylor on bye, I'm thin as heck in a couple spots. My only other  choices are other backup RBs that I don't think are going to get the work that this guy does today.

Users who are viewing this thread