What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Javonte Williams, DEN (1 Viewer)

The usage in the passing game is great and a sweet bonus but the splitting of carries doesn't really seem to help either back get in much of a rhythm. Williams was running fantastic early, why mess about with it? Then Gordon fumbles, and they keep going to him. Then Williams fumbles and MG ends up with nearly twice as many carries. Just weird as a casual observer and frustrating for FF.

This is like when the Titans inexplicably were using D. Lewis a lot and not giving Henry a lot of work. It defies all logic, but Hackett showed tonight that he is a moron, so good luck to all Williams owners. You are gonna need it.

he looked incredible, played well, fumble wasn't his fault but if this moron coach plays the running backs like this all season, Williams will be very limited, this was a nightmare
Pretty sure the weird RBBC being deployed is the plan. Williams is explosive and would be even better if he could settle in to a rhythm. Going to be an interesting year for a;l Bronco players due to an inept coach.

he looked incredible, played well, fumble wasn't his fault but if this moron coach plays the running backs like this all season, Williams will be very limited, this was a nightmare
The fumble was absolutely his fault. Bad blocking? Sure, but he had time to secure the ball — he just did a bad job of it.
That whole play was a mess.

I think that offense will improve significantly as the season wears on.

Don't get this continued take. Melvin Gordon is a talented player. He was solid with his touches. Hackett isn't a moron for using him. His presence was baked into William's ADP. If you drafted Williams you should have done it knowing all of this. There are what, like 5 true bell cow backs in the NFL now? 2 of them often injured. 2+ RBs getting touches is the norm.

I don't see how you could be unhappy with the usage. The play at the goal-line was a mess, but JW should have secured the ball.

Denver likes Boone ...... Gordon is gone at end of season (almost didn't come back this year)

Gordon to the Rams for a 3rd (like always they're all in) ...... Williams/ Boone 70-30 split

Javonte did look good, but I thought his fumble at the goal line was worse than Gordon's.
Plus, it's 2 straight coaching staffs that seem to trust Gordon to not screw up late more than Javonte. It's probably something other than incompetently underusing the guy on your fantasy team.
I'd still be pretty encouraged if I had Javonte. He didn't take negative yardage as much as last year, and he was very active in the dump off game. Hopefully he can earn the coaches trust and get a little more work on the ground.

Denver likes Boone ...... Gordon is gone at end of season (almost didn't come back this year)

Gordon to the Rams for a 3rd (like always they're all in) ...... Williams/ Boone 70-30 split
A nearly 30 year old RB on the last year of his contract is not fetching a 3rd round pick. More like a 6th that could move up to a conditional 5th based on playing time. Up to DEN if they want to give him away for a late round pick.

Don't get this continued take. Melvin Gordon is a talented player. He was solid with his touches. Hackett isn't a moron for using him. His presence was baked into William's ADP. If you drafted Williams you should have done it knowing all of this. There are what, like 5 true bell cow backs in the NFL now? 2 of them often injured. 2+ RBs getting touches is the norm.

I don't see how you could be unhappy with the usage. The play at the goal-line was a mess, but JW should have secured the ball.

7 carries, that says it all. I'm not some guppy that needs Gordon explained to me. if your RB starts the game with 3 carries at 10 yards average, probably a good idea to let him run and see if he stays hot. I am very unhappy with 7 carries, at a minimum if he had 16-18 rushes they win this game going away.

7 carries, that says it all. I'm not some guppy that needs Gordon explained to me. if your RB starts the game with 3 carries at 10 yards average, probably a good idea to let him run and see if he stays hot. I am very unhappy with 7 carries, at a minimum if he had 16-18 rushes they win this game going away.
Not sure how you can say that. If Gordon and Williams both don't fumble then maybe they win going away, but they both did fumble, which put the Broncos in pass mode in the 4th quarter. Hence Williams' 11 catches.

They were down the entire game, playing from behind and often with long “to go” situations because of penalties, specifically holding and false starts - with a few delay of games sprinkled in for good measure. The way the game started I thought they would run it a lot to get the crowd out of it - but that did t happen.

- Javonte Williams: 35 snaps, 7 carries, 21 rr, 12 targets
- Melvin Gordon: 28 snaps, 12 carries, 13 rr, 2 targets
- Mike Boone: 2 snaps, 0 carries, 1 rr, 1 target

It's amazing that we are complaining about Williams getting 18 touches to Gordon's 14.

But I don't understand why Javonte ripped 3 runs for 30 yards and then all of a sudden Gordon comes in. Why not ride the hot hand? The substitutions baffle me.

I don't care how many touches Gordon gets, as long as Javonte gets at least 14 touches. If it's 9-10 carries and 4-5 receptions, that's great for the floor in PPR.

It's going to be a 55-45 split, better get used to it.

Honest question:
Would you rather 15 carries and 4 passing targets or 7 carries and 12 passing targets?

Honest question:
Would you rather 15 carries and 4 passing targets or 7 carries and 12 passing targets?
Id rather the former because its more sustainable.

Well the latter gives you more fantasy points. In PPR a lot more.
And 7 is going to be his floor. The passing stats were so amazing and encouraging. Russ loves him and is going to look for him a lot this year. Even if (when) he gets up to 12 carries a game, that's huge. I'll take 12-15 carries and 6 catches a week any time from him.

Well the latter gives you more fantasy points. In PPR a lot more.
And 7 is going to be his floor. The passing stats were so amazing and encouraging. Russ loves him and is going to look for him a lot this year. Even if (when) he gets up to 12 carries a game, that's huge. I'll take 12-15 carries and 6 catches a week any time from him.
The catches were an outlier though. He's not getting 6 catches a week. That would put him over 100 for the season. I'd rather rely on his carries. Yeah I know catches are more points.

- Javonte Williams: 35 snaps, 7 carries, 21 rr, 12 targets
- Melvin Gordon: 28 snaps, 12 carries, 13 rr, 2 targets
- Mike Boone: 2 snaps, 0 carries, 1 rr, 1 target
Seems like a bad approach based on that distribution. If I am an opposing team I just play run pretty much every time Gordon checks in.

Edit: Although I get it conceptually. It’s a long season, so use up the grizzled veteran to keep your playmaker fresh for the long run.

I get the Williams hype. But anybody downplaying Gordon is really kidding themselves. He was running powerfully all night. Averaged about 6 a carry. He is going to play and play a lot. Forget age. Guy seems low miles and has plenty in the tank. Williams doesn’t look like a 25 touch workhouse back. Timeshare will remain barring injury and it’ll be closer to 55-45.

I get the Williams hype. But anybody downplaying Gordon is really kidding themselves. He was running powerfully all night. Averaged about 6 a carry. He is going to play and play a lot. Forget age. Guy seems low miles and has plenty in the tank. Williams doesn’t look like a 25 touch workhouse back. Timeshare will remain barring injury and it’ll be closer to 55-45.
I agree Gordon is no slouch but I think you have your stats messed up. Gordon averaged 4.8 ypc while Williams averaged 6.1.

I realize Gordon is going to be involved this season but what about Williams makes you think he doesn’t look like a workhorse back? He’s 5’10, 220 pounds with elite burst and is a very capable receiving option out of the backfield.

Actually, it was Williams who averaged about 6 a carry, and what on earth do you mean Williams doesn't "look like" a 25 touch workhorse back (no one is btw)?

Talking about the second fumble this morning on talk radio. They changed the play. Some of the line was pass blocking because that was the original call couldn't hear the call play change.

They should have never brought Godon back. They will lose more games because they have 2 RBs that they win because of the 2 RBs.
Why do you believe this? Gordon certainly wasn't plodding, 4.8 ypc is impressive by any standard. I don't see how having two above average RBs leads to more losses than wins.

They should have never brought Godon back. They will lose more games because they have 2 RBs that they win because of the 2 RBs.
Why do you believe this? Gordon certainly wasn't plodding, 4.8 ypc is impressive by any standard. I don't see how having two above average RBs leads to more losses than wins.
He means for his magic football team.
He means Hackett should coach to try and get a win for steelcityman's magic football team? That would be neat.

No, not my magical team, the broncos. You can talk a long walk off a short pier, THAT would be neat, goof ball.
I was happy with the misuse of Williams last night.

No, not my magical team, the broncos. You can talk a long walk off a short pier, THAT would be neat, goof ball.
I was happy with the misuse of Williams last night.
Okay, then back to my original question:
:popcorn:

I realize Gordon is going to be involved this season but what about Williams makes you think he doesn’t look like a workhorse back? He’s 5’10, 220 pounds with elite burst and is a very capable receiving option out of the backfield.
Workhorse backs don’t get 7 carries. Ever. So the coaches don’t think he’s a workhorse back - that’s what matters

Workhorse backs don’t get 7 carries. Ever. So the coaches don’t think he’s a workhorse back - that’s what matters
Do they get 18 touches? Does that not matter?

Users who are viewing this thread