What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kendre Miller, NO (1 Viewer)

Oh well. Figured it might be a cheap RB (one that I think is already undervalued).

I was just speaking for myself. There might be others in leagues that were counting on him this year, and if you can provide them with immediate help they might think about it.

But largely, people didn't draft him thinking for this particular year. I was pretty sure he was a redshirt year or a phenom that walked in and took jobs. Doesn't seem like that's happened. He hasn't been really been practicing in full with the team due to his knee.

I don't see why Miller can't audition the first 3 weeks of the season.
If he looks explosive or makes some big plays, he would earn playing time and perhaps be a decent chunk of a 2-Back rotation.
Injuries could lead to more playing time but the 1st 3 weeks of the season will have a big impact not just in redraft but also dynasty

Now if he comes out of the box slow and then doesn't get a lot of playing time even the 2nd Half of the season,
that would be cause for concern moving forward and might make '24 look cloudy.

If he looks explosive or makes some big plays, he would earn playing time and perhaps be a decent chunk of a 2-Back rotation.
Injuries could lead to more playing time but the 1st 3 weeks of the season will have a big impact not just in redraft but also dynasty

Now if he comes out of the box slow and then doesn't get a lot of playing time even the 2nd Half of the season,
that would be cause for concern moving forward and might make '24 look cloudy.
This may not be a popular opinion, but I think he will garner more looks as the year goes on and supplants Williams at some point.

It's possible but the financial commitments to the other two RB's are what make me think he has a real uphill battle.

Repeating those financial commitments. Kamara, and CMC, are the only two RB's from the vaunted 2017 RB class who are still getting full pay on their lucrative second contracts. All the other RB's from that class were asked to take a pay cut or get/got cut. Jamaal did not make a truckload or anything but he barely trailed Montgomery as getting third most guarantees of any RB who reached UFA, a legit almost $9M owed him over his first two seasons which is really good RB pay right now again it's guaranteed. Depending on how you look at pay it's the most expensive RB duo in the league.

It's more likely that if Miller looks great he forces his way into a 3 headed RBBC, and IMO that would impact Jamaal as Ak's role is not so easy to duplicate. I would venture to say the best way to be able to split a workload up like that and still remain a viable fantasy RB is if you are heavily involved in the passing game or scoring a lot of TD's and he does not seem like the best back on the roster for the role that provides those opportunities.

I can't say that right now I care a lot about the first 3 weeks he figures to have a usable role so injuries are the primary reason I would take him in a redraft league, which I have done recently. When you own a handcuff of an every down RB you stand to benefit if he goes down. If you own the handcuff of a two man RBBC the payoff may not be so large if one of them goes down but since you only need 1 of 2 to go down instead of 1 of 1 the odds of an injury occurring are enhanced.

The last way he can have value, and I said some of this in the Hunt thread yesterday, was if we had a repeat of 2017 with the Saints. This is admittedly based more on a hope then an expectation but the similarities between the two are vast. First off the coaching and front office turnover between 2017 and now for the Saints is shockingly minimal, almost all of their staff was with the team that year, obviously a different head coach. Kamara went in round 3 at pick 67, Kendre in round 3 at pick 71. In 2017 the Saints had signed Adrian Peterson earlier that off-season and gave him a solid $3.5m guaranteed. It took them a few weeks into the season to decide they were better with Kamara on the field more and traded AP. This is not an impossible scenario to repeat as the Saints may not value Jamaal's services now as much as when they signed him, I referenced the staff by and large being similar just to highlight fact they are not afraid to reverse course, and they'd save almost $4M in guaranteed payout next year if they found a taker and the Saints are always up against the cap. I can't draft planning for this, as it's more of a hope then a plan, but again I don't think it's impossible that if Kendre shines that once AK returns if a RB needy team wants to offer a late day 3 pick a deal could be had.

I'd be shocked if Miller gets meaningful snaps ahead of Jamal Williams during the opening portion of the season without Kamara. The Saints just committed big cap to Derek Carr. No way they risk his health on the blocking of a late-round rookie RB. Unless Miller is WAY ahead of the game in that regard, the brakes should be pumped rapidly on this dude for the 2023 season - notwithstanding, of course, attrition to the RB room.

I agree with LawFitz. We'll probably see him in the 2024-2025 NFL season. I expect him to be healthy and making noise, but I'm not sure 2023 is too realistic, especially considering they just brought in Hunt for that visit. 2025 is probably the sell-by date we're looking at here.

I did 3 mock drafts today. And of course they are mock drafts and mean little. But I found it odd that I ended up with all three of Kamara, Williams and Miller in all three drafts.

I’m not sure that’s a good thing, but I sort of just let them all fall to me.

I did 3 mock drafts today. And of course they are mock drafts and mean little. But I found it odd that I ended up with all three of Kamara, Williams and Miller in all three drafts.

Three redraft roster spots are a lot to take up though.

. The Saints just committed big cap to Derek Carr. No way they risk his health on the blocking of a late-round rookie RB. Unless Miller is WAY ahead of the game in that regard, the brakes should be pumped rapidly on this dude for the 2023 season
Admittedly I removed part of your post & I agree with everything else but the bolded portion. “Late round”?
NFL 3rd Round pick #8 is late?
I drafted KMiller 2.02 in 12 Team for the 2024 Dynasty season. I have low expectations of significant touches in 2023 barring serious injuries.
If he is being tested for a 3rd down RB role, then pass protection is crucial and they would not risk it.

Three redraft roster spots are a lot to take up though.
Yeah idk if I want to roster 2/6 of my bench spots and presumably my flex spot with just the saints backfield.

The last way he can have value, and I said some of this in the Hunt thread yesterday, was if we had a repeat of 2017 with the Saints. This is admittedly based more on a hope then an expectation but the similarities between the two are vast. First off the coaching and front office turnover between 2017 and now for the Saints is shockingly minimal, almost all of their staff was with the team that year, obviously a different head coach. Kamara went in round 3 at pick 67, Kendre in round 3 at pick 71. In 2017 the Saints had signed Adrian Peterson earlier that off-season and gave him a solid $3.5m guaranteed. It took them a few weeks into the season to decide they were better with Kamara on the field more and traded AP. This is not an impossible scenario to repeat as the Saints may not value Jamaal's services now as much as when they signed him, I referenced the staff by and large being similar just to highlight fact they are not afraid to reverse course, and they'd save almost $4M in guaranteed payout next year if they found a taker and the Saints are always up against the cap. I can't draft planning for this, as it's more of a hope then a plan, but again I don't think it's impossible that if Kendre shines that once AK returns if a RB needy team wants to offer a late day 3 pick a deal could be had.
Quoting myself from the post above which was in regards to a slim chance that the Saints might trade Jamaal for reasons I indicated.

Was scrolling through my Twitter/X timeline the other day when I saw a Saints beat writer asking for questions so I hit him up with this scenario. He said it was a fair question but did not think it was really possible and that recently he had really seen Jamaal start to come on and he could see his role start to emerge and how he'd help the team.

This may or may not be useful fantasy info but he went on to say he thought it was a pretty good chance that Jamaal would lead the team in carries with Kamara playing a role that looked more like 2018/19(his words, not sure what was different on those years vs 17 and 20).

My takeaway was just reaffirming that Miller has almost no value this year after week 3 unless Jamaal or Kamara are injured.

Looks like he can’t quite get that knee right. Same one he was rehabbing in the offseason was sprained in the preseason game. Sounds like the coach thinks there was no significant damage but don’t like seeing the same knee getting re-injured, especially for a rookie. He will get imaging done.

Oh boy. There went that draft pick. It's dynasty, but still. Nothing but otherwordly running backs in the first for me from now on. They just get hurt or are easily replaced. Weird thing is that I saw Jamaal Williams get stacked up and had visions of Kendre getting hurt. And. . .boom! There you have it.

Last edited:
Oh boy. There went that draft pick. It's dynasty, but still. Nothing but otherwordly running backs in the first for me from now on. They just get hurt or are easily replaced. Weird thing is that I saw Jamaal Williams get stacked up and had visions of Kendre getting hurt. And. . .boom! There you have it.
Yeah with RBs, it’s such a funny game. Doesn’t take much to get a great opportunity and nail a couple good seasons but also doesn’t take much to miss your chance.

Looks like he can’t quite get that knee right. Same one he was rehabbing in the offseason was sprained in the preseason game. Sounds like the coach thinks there was no significant damage but don’t like seeing the same knee getting re-injured, especially for a rookie. He will get imaging done.
Well crap my pants

Yeah I burned a few Underdog best ball teams with him...best case scenario was already that he balled out weeks 1-3 and carved out a role. Seems unlikely now.

I believe hoping his knee is right before next year is a unnecessary worry. It sounds like his knee will be fine for the start of the season. This is the best possible news IMO.

I'd like to agree with you about the long-term prospects for his knee but don't. I hate that it's the same knee that had the MCL/meniscus surgery and that it acted up again. Sounds like it needs more time than the rosy 1-2 week prognosis we're given. I'm not an MD. Let me see what Twitter docs are saying.

I do agree with you that this is the best possible news given that he left the game with a knee injury.

Starting against the Chargers right now.

2 rushes for about seven yards and a first down. Then a catch for a few. Looks. . .decent. Not necessarily electric and special. Wasn't much there on his runs. One was a nice run where he got stopped but kept his legs moving and pushed the pile for a first.

Starting against the Chargers right now.

2 rushes for about seven yards and a first down. Then a catch for a few. Looks. . .decent. Not necessarily electric and special. Wasn't much there on his runs. One was a nice run where he got stopped but kept his legs moving and pushed the pile for a first.
I would prefer more than ok…but given where we looked a few days ago, this is a nice improvement.

Yeah I just saw those highlights, that looked special.

Considering he was five for seven and hit in the backfield almost every time he touched the ball, that was very encouraging. Like almost serendipitously so, considering he wasn't regarded as a special catcher of the football. But that was sick for an RB.

IMO, the only reason he won’t be the 1b/2 to Kamara’s 1a by mid season is if the Saints feel compelled to keep the vet involved, which will be bad for everyone.

He'll be startable the first few weeks

I don't think he will be. Jamaal Williams and Darrel Williams are going to be there.

Of those three, I think he'll have a nice pass catching role. Could be wrong, I don't have him penciled in to start on any team but I think that's his chance to audition for Kamara's job. He won't get much opportunity after that, so if he wants to make a splash it has to be immediately.

They burnt a 3rd Rounder on him, I think he'll get some run. Darrell Williams is JAG, imo.

Darrell Williams is JAG, imo.

Agreed, but the Saints might go with JAG vs. rook.

I just am skeptical he's going to be the anointed one the first three games. I think that people who think that are mistaken.

Jamaal Williams is an obstacle, but Darrell Williams? I'm falling asleep just thinking about that guy rushing the football. I feel he's just there as an insurance policy.

But we'll see! I feel we will know Week 1 whether or not he is startable and if not, it's off to the glue factory in redraft. Churn and burn, baby!!

Jamaal Williams is an obstacle, but Darrell Williams?

Yeah, I know. Darrel takes one "l," by the way. No matter on that. But he was serviceable in Kansas City. That doesn't mean he'll necessarily be in the game instead of Miller. The coaching staff had to notice that catch and the touchdown run.

We're going to know more in the third quarter. If Williams plays, he's likely behind Miller on the depth chart. If he doesn't, then he's resting for the dress rehearsal.

Of those three, I think he'll have a nice pass catching role. Could be wrong, I don't have him penciled in to start on any team but I think that's his chance to audition for Kamara's job. He won't get much opportunity after that, so if he wants to make a splash it has to be immediately.
This sounds about right, so I went looking to see when Kamara goes bye bye. Let's check the salary cap!!

Annoying as a Kendre owner

That looks like two more years of Kamara, then they cut him in 2025, with ONLY 10 mill in dead cap money, which is not bad, considering this is the Saints we are talking about.

They could cut him next year, and save 1 million, but that would mean Kamara is cooked.

Users who are viewing this thread