What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Bush ineligible? (1 Viewer)

It won't affect Bush in the draft, but would not be good for USC.
Why wouldn't it?
NCAA statutes prohibit student-athletes or their families from receiving extra benefits from professional sports agents, marketing companies or their representatives. A breach of these statutes could result in an athlete being ruled ineligible, and games in which they played could be forfeited.
Full disclosure: I have the #1 rookie pick in one of my dynasty leagues.

Why wouldn't it?
NCAA statutes prohibit student-athletes or their families from receiving extra benefits from professional sports agents, marketing companies or their representatives. A breach of these statutes could result in an athlete being ruled ineligible, and games in which they played could be forfeited.
He's not going back to college, so being ineligible is irrelevant. I guess the question is would the Texans pass on him because of this?

Why wouldn't it?
If Bush is declared ineligible, it will totally suck for USC, but it won't affect him at all; he'll only be ineligible to play in the NCAA, so he'll still be eligible to be drafted, and he'll still go #1 overall.

Why wouldn't it?
This has nothing to do with his NFL status. However, it could lead to sanctions against USC. The NFL could care less what he received while at USC. Like the previous poster said, nothing to see here unless you're a USC fan.

This has absoloutely nothing to do with his draft eligibility and EVERYTHING to do with sanctions against USC (if true and wrongdoing exists).

Reggie is set regardless and is looking forward to a BIG payday. Tough for the Trojans and their fans though (if true).

Funny how this stuff always comes out right before the draft, a bowl game, etc.

So the ineligibility wouldn't wipe out his last year, and take with it his draft eligibility?
The NFL rule isn't that you have to play 3 years of college football. You just have to be 3 years out of high school. Many players redshirt and then just play 2 years. Mike Williams was ineligible for a year.

So the ineligibility wouldn't wipe out his last year, and take with it his draft eligibility?
No
Thanks. Good to know. That was the part that stood out the most to me.
Eligibility is based on years removed from high school, not years played in college. At this point he would be eligible even if he had never played a down of college football.

The NFL rule isn't that you have to play 3 years of college football. You just have to be 3 years out of high school. Many players redshirt and then just play 2 years. Mike Williams was ineligible for a year.
I Forgot about MW. Makes sense now :bag:

Yahoo isn't know for their investigative reporting, but what could the consequences of this be? Could it effect Bush in this draft?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-b...=yhoo&type=lgns

Sorry if this has been posted already.
As for people thinking college sports is all about kids playing for the game and not money. This is just another example of why that's not always true. A big :thumbdown: to USC, Bush and his family, and all of the double-named aliases in the world.

No, anyone can declare for the draft three years after they graduate from HS. You don't even have to play college football.

likely right. Although maybe he could get a fine.
If it is true I think he should have to pay USC back for his free ride.
Will it matter? Money won't be an issue with him soon.
I am not talking about his ability to repay. I am talking about the fact if he did receive some assistance then he owes the school an apology the school the money they spent to allow him to go to school. The taxpayers are entitled.

Reggie Bush has made money for USC that goes way beyond the value of his scholarship. Why should he pay them back? If anything, they owe him.
:goodposting: Usc didn't lose money or will they lose money becasue of this.

Reggie Bush has made money for USC that goes way beyond the value of his scholarship. Why should he pay them back? If anything, they owe him.
Team sport. Bush is part of a team. Talent can only do so much. The other 21 guys had a lot to do with his success. The school and the taxpayers fork over a lot of money so he can got to USC (it isn't cheap to go there you know). I just believe he owes the school, not the other way around. Without them he won't be were he is now.

Team sport. Bush is part of a team. Talent can only do so much. The other 21 guys had a lot to do with his success. The school and the taxpayers fork over a lot of money so he can got to USC (it isn't cheap to go there you know). I just believe he owes the school, not the other way around. Without them he won't be were he is now.
Guys, USC is PRIVATE. No taxpayer money is directly involved.

If it were a perfect world, yes, this is how it would work.Trust that Bush did more than his fair share to help put asses in seats; sell programs; sodas; popcorn; jerseys; foam fingers; hot dogs; T-shirts, etc. I do not think the program was getting by on bakesales before he got there or will be doing so after he leaves. Oh, he took home a Heisman too. Lot of money for the USC athletic fund and an almost infinite amount of recruiting publicity for Carroll. At a program that large a successful a player like Bush is part of the team but he is also above the team. Thinking otherwise is naive. That was a mutually beneficial relationship and I am pretty sure the books are even between Bush and USC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuition to USC is about 15k per year. USC football is a multi-million dollar business. His schollie is pocket change compared to what his football performance put in the bank for the Trojans.

That is typical thinking of the ME generation. Reggie Bush agreed to abide by rules when given his scholarship. He broke them. When he accepted the scholarship he also accepted that he and the school would both benefit. He got a free ride and they get the benefits. Without the scholarship he isn't there. So, in your mind players that are given scholarships but aren't well known should pay it back? Stupid.

Tuition to USC is about 15k per year. USC football is a multi-million dollar business. His schollie is pocket change compared to what his football performance put in the bank for the Trojans.
You are missing point. It isn't the school that I am mostly concerned about. It is the taxpayer. We are taking for thousands of dollars each year with a portion giving to education which ends up funding the scholarships for atheletes. I think the athetes owe us.Personally I would prefer to do away with college sports as they distract from the original intent, learning.

The NFL should start a minor league like baseball.

You are missing point. It isn't the school that I am mostly concerned about. It is the taxpayer. We are taking for thousands of dollars each year with a portion giving to education which ends up funding the scholarships for atheletes. I think the athetes owe us.Personally I would prefer to do away with college sports as they distract from the original intent, learning.

USC is a private school.

Is that even where the funds for scholarships to private schools come from? I was under the impression that tax dollars only went towards scholarships to public schools. Of course I have little real knowledge of the subject so I could be wrong.And call me crazy, but as a taxpayer the one one-millionth of a cent of my tax dollars that presumably went towards Bush's scholarship doesn't really bother me.

Is that even where the funds for scholarships to private schools come from? I was under the impression that tax dollars only went towards scholarships to public schools. Of course I have little real knowledge of the subject so I could be wrong.And call me crazy, but as a taxpayer the one one-millionth of a cent of my tax dollars that presumably went towards Bush's scholarship doesn't really bother me.
If in fact USC is a private school and no tax dollars go to the school then my taxpayer scenario isn't valid. I was not aware of that. I would be willing to bet our tax dollars do go to the school in some form.Any tax dollar that is used foolish or illegally should bother you a great deal. Bush is just one of may that violate the rules (if he did). We all know it and ignore it but that doesn't make it right.

We wast far too much money. Someone needs to be accountable.

A big  :thumbdown: to USC, Bush and his family, and all of the double-named aliases in the world.
I don't think USC had anything to do with it, or had any knowledge of it.
Doesn't matter. They are suppose to police their own. If Bush is deemed ineligible it could cost them some games and money received for those games. If true, Bush just screwed USC.

If it were a perfect world, yes, this is how it would work.Trust that Bush did more than his fair share to help put asses in seats; sell programs; sodas; popcorn; jerseys; foam fingers; hot dogs; T-shirts, etc. I do not think the program was getting by on bakesales before he got there or will be doing so after he leaves.

Oh, he took home a Heisman too. Lot of money for the USC athletic fund and an almost infinite amount of recruiting publicity for Carroll.

At a program that large a successful a player like Bush is part of the team but he is also above the team. Thinking otherwise is naive. That was a mutually beneficial relationship and I am pretty sure the books are even between Bush and USC.
No player is above the team. That is part of the problem. People think I am the "name" so I can do anything I want. I don't agree. How many yards will he gain without the OL. 0, none, nada!His success if tied directly to the talent around him whether acknowledged or not.

If it were a perfect world, yes, this is how it would work.Trust that Bush did more than his fair share to help put asses in seats; sell programs; sodas; popcorn; jerseys; foam fingers; hot dogs; T-shirts, etc. I do not think the program was getting by on bakesales before he got there or will be doing so after he leaves.

Oh, he took home a Heisman too. Lot of money for the USC athletic fund and an almost infinite amount of recruiting publicity for Carroll.

At a program that large a successful a player like Bush is part of the team but he is also above the team. Thinking otherwise is naive. That was a mutually beneficial relationship and I am pretty sure the books are even between Bush and USC.
No player is above the team. That is part of the problem. People think I am the "name" so I can do anything I want. I don't agree. How many yards will he gain without the OL. 0, none, nada!His success if tied directly to the talent around him whether acknowledged or not.
Trust that a player that good at that program is both with and above the team. That's all you are getting out of me on this trip.

That is typical thinking of the ME generation. Reggie Bush agreed to abide by rules when given his scholarship. He broke them. When he accepted the scholarship he also accepted that he and the school would both benefit. He got a free ride and they get the benefits. Without the scholarship he isn't there. So, in your mind players that are given scholarships but aren't well known should pay it back? Stupid.
The rules are stupid, and Bush didn't really have a choice but to agree to them.College football is a business, and it doesn't pay its employees anywhere near what they're worth. As a result, the schools make money hand over fist and the players who entertain us don't. Fair system? Hardly.

The NFL keeps the system in place with the 3-year rule. The players really don't have a choice but to play college football. The NFL has an antitrust exemption, so there's not much in the way of competing leagues where Bush can take his talent and get paid fair value for it.

Reggie Bush is already one of the world's most entertaining athletes, and all he's got to show for it is a few years of free tuition at USC. He's the one getting screwed here.

And when someone wants to buy his family a mansion, he's supposed to turn it down to protect the NCAA's system of not paying its employees? That's selfish? We're supposed to feel bad for USC here? #### the NCAA and #### USC. Their greed is all that's keeping Reggie Bush from being a millionaire already.

College athletes should be paid. Period.

Trust that a player that good at that program is both with and above the team. That's all you are getting out of me on this trip.
While they may get the most publicity that doesn't make them above the team.

By this logic, the Lions would have to give back Mike Willaims! He only played 2 years in college!Rejoice Lions fans! *lol*

Here's a clue, you don't have to play college football to get drafted in the NFL. Or even be American. Or even speak English. You need to be 3 years removed from your HS graduation.

You can pump gas for 3 years after HS and get drafted. The NCAA/PAC-10 have no effect on a player and the NFL.

This is merely bad for USC. Give back titles, records, fines, probation, cancel the football program. We can only hope. =)

I'm sure the USC football program does not use any public money for football scholarships. I would be surprised if any university in the country does; revenue from football and men's basketball tend to not only pay for the scholarships for those sports, but other sports scholarships as well.

The potential cost to USC is not so much the cost of Bush's salary, but that if they get hit with NCAA sanctions, they could lose the opportunity to go to a bowl (costing millions), as well as lose many of their big-name recruits.

Users who are viewing this thread