What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting At Aurora, Colorado Movie Theater (1 Viewer)

Anyone remember after 9/11, nobody wanted to fly on airplanes? It killed the airline industry for months. I wonder what this will do for the movie theaters. Amazing how much damage a single person can do.
My guess is expected revenue for all movies will be at least cut in half for a month or so. The Dark Knight may turn out to be a 'flop' revenue wise now.ETA: I know you just woke up so you may not have heard. Paris/WB cancelled the premier of the movie because of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone remember after 9/11, nobody wanted to fly on airplanes? It killed the airline industry for months. I wonder what this will do for the movie theaters. Amazing how much damage a single person can do.
I'm going to the 7pm showing of Batman tonight.

My guess is expected revenue for all movies will be at least cut in half for a month or so. The Dark Knight may turn out to be a 'flop' revenue wise now.
little to no effect at all.eta: ok, maybe opening weekend might not be as big as expected but by next weekend, this will probably not effect moviegoing.

My guess is expected revenue for all movies will be at least cut in half for a month or so. The Dark Knight may turn out to be a 'flop' revenue wise now.
little to no effect at all.
I'll take that bet.

I doubt it seriously. It may affect some folks but the fans are going regardless.

Really? I wonder why that seems to be the only cancellation. NYC seems to be beefing up security, but proceeding. This is probably an isolated incident/nutjob. We are really going to consider shutting down and panicking?
Always one of the 1st things done. Then the cost outweighs continuing to do so and then it happens again somewhere.

I'll take that bet.
May even boost it as bad as that sounds.

Really? I wonder why that seems to be the only cancellation. NYC seems to be beefing up security, but proceeding. This is probably an isolated incident/nutjob. We are really going to consider shutting down and panicking?
Always one of the 1st things done. Then the cost outweighs continuing to do so and then it happens again somewhere.
Why would it happen again? This may be the first Columbine (ironic how close it is to Aurora) style shooting at a theater, but it certainly is not the first time there has been a shooting at the movies.

I'll take that bet.
yeah, this.

Probably not. 9/11 wasn't a single person. That was an organized group. This is a lone nut job. If there were a couple other similar attack last night, then yeah, it would have a huge impact. But not if it's an individual acting on their own and has been caught.

Why would it happen again? This may be the first Columbine (ironic how close it is to Aurora) style shooting at a theater, but it certainly is not the first time there has been a shooting at the movies.
Won't necessarily be a movie theater. I'm talking about another mass shooting somewhere. It's inevitable.

ABC called the killer's mom who hadn't heard yet and she said "you've got the right person. I need to talk to the police. I need to fly out to Colorado."

:( Sounds like she knew he is messed up.
That's ####ed up. How many more known ticking time bombs are out there?
Pretty classless on ABCs part, IMO.
How so?
What good does it do to surprise the mother of the shooter with a phone call? Either she is going to be caught by surprise and had no idea what her son did or she is going to be absolutely heart broken by what she had recently heard about her son.
That's stuff reporters do to out scoop the others. The reporters did the same with my family. And when we initially refused to talk to them they threatened to talk to all the neighbors. Which they ultimately did anyway.They aren't tactful about it. I hadn't heard a thing when I got the calls, "How do you feel about your brother's arrest?" and "Any comments on your brother's suicide?"
That's f-----d up.
Not that the police are much better at breaking news. Years ago I arrived home from school and there was a cop in the drive way. He saw me walking up and asked "Is this Sarah Chandler's house?" I respond "Yes."

The cop says "Tell her, that her ex-husband died in a fire in Wyoming." and backs out of the driveway.

He didn't acknowledge it if he heard me say "That's my father."
Jesus, dude. I promise if I ever have to break any bad news to you, I'll do it gently.

I was planning on it. Now I probably won't.It's not that I'm fearful of something happening; that's just dumb. It's that I'll be thinking about this horror. All the fun of watching this film is gone, for a time.

I'll take that bet.
I say half the expected revenue. Pin it.

Paris has cancelled the movie premiere. How stupid is that?
WTF? :confused:
The cancellation actually came from Warner Bros.
It was one of the official, fancy, red carpet premieres. I'm sure they felt waltzing down the red carpet would be beyond insensitive.

I'll take that bet.
Opening weekend or total?Dark Knight Rises is expected to eclipse the $158.4m made on the last one.

I am glad this piece of garbage didn't get to take the easy way out (suicide). I hope he's not crazy and every victim/family gets to face him and make him acknowledge what he did. I hope he suffers mentally and physically every second if every day for 50 more years before succumbing to a long a painful death.

Jessica Redfield is a journalist who blogged about the shooting in Toronto. Her tweets end at the start of the movie last night. She was one of the victims. So messed up to read it all.
Do you have a link to the shooting in Toronto? I dont remember that one.
On my phone so tough for me to link stuff. There was a thread here about it. Google Eaton Centre shooting.
Wow, how sad.http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/07/20/denver-shooting-victim-eaton-centre.htmlhttp://news.yahoo.com/deadly-shooting-torontos-eaton-centre-sparks-mass-panic-105159188.htmlhttp://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/1209713--eaton-centre-shooting-second-victim-dies

Brief statement from Obama.

Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my Administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family. All of us must have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends, and neighbors, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come.

Paris has cancelled the movie premiere. How stupid is that?
WTF? :confused:
The cancellation actually came from Warner Bros.
It was one of the official, fancy, red carpet premieres. I'm sure they felt waltzing down the red carpet would be beyond insensitive.
That makes some sense I guess. It would also be an opportunity to speak out against bull#### like this and let people know that their insane actions do not impact society and that the losers who perpetrate these things are still worthless.

I expect screenings will continue. Many will probably have moments of silence before the film starts.
I'm sure WB is probably talking about sending out reels to all the theaters that say "In memory of...." to be played before the movie.

I am glad this piece of garbage didn't get to take the easy way out (suicide). I hope he's not crazy and every victim/family gets to face him and make him acknowledge what he did. I hope he suffers mentally and physically every second if every day for 50 more years before succumbing to a long a painful death.
Of course he's crazy.

I expect screenings will continue. Many will probably have moments of silence before the film starts.
I'm sure WB is probably talking about sending out reels to all the theaters that say "In memory of...." to be played before the movie.
That would be unwise. If I skip tonight, I'll probably go to this movie in a week or so. But I DON'T want to be thinking about Aurora when I go.

F'ed up people do f'ed up things. The technology used to be a maniac is less urgent than the person using that technology.
Yet in this country they almost always use guns. I wonder why that is. I wonder if it's because of the ease and convenience? There is no barrier to stop them and make them go to lengths to build improvised devices. It's curious that they don't use guns AND build improvised devices since they could kill more people that way. But then that would be inconvenient.
I really don't want to get sucked into this, but does the name Tim McVeigh ring a bell?

Of course he's crazy.
Even if he is, it's not a valid reason to keep him alive.

Won't necessarily be a movie theater. I'm talking about another mass shooting somewhere. It's inevitable.
The US has 20 mass shootings a year.

The only extra security that needs to be done is to make sure the damn emergency exit are serving the purpose and people aren't using it as an entrance.

I would also recommend that anybody who is going to the movie as a Batman character should not be allowed. I don't care how much your comic book nerd friends will think it is awesome to dress line Bane act like a human being and don't do it.

I'll take that bet.
Opening weekend or total?Dark Knight Rises is expected to eclipse the $158.4m made on the last one.
Weekend. I say it doesn't make over 79M now. And to be clear, I'm not "hoping" for this to happen. I'm guessing that most people will just wait a bit before they go see it. Not because they're scared (well most), but because what happened has ruined the movie experience for a little while.

F'ed up people do f'ed up things. The technology used to be a maniac is less urgent than the person using that technology.
Yet in this country they almost always use guns. I wonder why that is. I wonder if it's because of the ease and convenience? There is no barrier to stop them and make them go to lengths to build improvised devices. It's curious that they don't use guns AND build improvised devices since they could kill more people that way. But then that would be inconvenient.
I really don't want to get sucked into this, but does the name Tim McVeigh ring a bell?
You realize how laughable it is that the only two responses to this comment have been the Unibomber and Timothy McVeigh, right? Two people in the last how many decades contrasted with the constant parade of gun violence in the news?Anyway, good to see you not getting "sucked into this."

The only extra security that needs to be done is to make sure the damn emergency exit are serving the purpose and people aren't using it as an entrance.

I would also recommend that anybody who is going to the movie as a Batman character should not be allowed. I don't care how much your comic book nerd friends will think it is awesome to dress line Bane act like a human being and don't do it.
You'd think they'd be on top of that already since they don't want people sneaking in and seeing the movie for free.

The Unabomber and McVeigh are not good arguments, because practically speaking, it's far easier to obtain a gun and walk into a crowded movie theater (or crowded anywhere for that matter) than to do what those two guys did. But it's a useless discussion, because unless you're willing to pass laws that would remove all guns from private citizens (and enforce those laws with a police force about ten times stronger than we have now) there is no means to prevent mass shootings in this country.

On O&A this morning they were listening to live scanner chatter from the police. Not sure how but anyway it was just basically the police trying to document everything, get their cars cleaned out from the blood in the back (transporting wounded). So it was interesting to hear and then the dispatcher comes on "We have a domestic disturbance at XXXX, we need someone to send over"

You think that officer is going to be a bit annoyed? They still do have to handle their regular duties. Not sure how some of these guys put stuff like this behind them.

police just said the shooter's apartment is booby trapped....crazy!

Sky9 News, watching online

5 building evacuated in area

Pretty unlucky girl @JessicaRedfield was at the Eaton center shooting in Toronto a few months ago and is one of the deceased in this shooting
You can read her post on the Eaton center shooting here: http://jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/late-night-thoughts-on-the-eaton-center-shooting/
[QUOTE='jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/late-night-thoughts-on-the-eaton-center-shooting]I was shown how fragile life was on Saturday. I saw the terror on bystanders’ faces. I saw the victims of a senseless crime. I saw lives change. I was reminded that we don’t know when or where our time on Earth will end. When or where we will breathe our last breath. For one man, it was in the middle of a busy food court on a Saturday evening.

I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given.
[/QUOTE]Unbelieveable :(

The Unabomber and McVeigh are not good arguments, because practically speaking, it's far easier to obtain a gun and walk into a crowded movie theater (or crowded anywhere for that matter) than to do what those two guys did. But it's a useless discussion, because unless you're willing to pass laws that would remove all guns from private citizens (and enforce those laws with a police force about ten times stronger than we have now) there is no means to prevent mass shootings in this country.
The same way they made laws to remove all cocain from private citizens?

Thoughts and prayers to the families of this....

News here is saying they found some explosives in his apartment

It won't be long until we start getting into the gun debate and movie violence debate - but how come no one brings up the real issue and that is the mental illness debate. There are lots of people in this country messed up - the Gabby Giffords guy, Columbine Kids - with real mental issues. And it seems as though people (family and acquaintances) recognized these issues prior to these tragedies. We should consider the value of taking care of these mental issues before hand - to be proactive. The infrastructure and affordable resources around mental illness are sorely lacking - not to mention the 'stigma" to go and ask for help. Heck I bet this guys family knew he needed help and struggled to find him the help he needed. It cost money to deal with this stuff and in today's climate I'm afraid that people really have a difficulty going into community mode to help resolve this.

I was planning on it. Now I probably won't.It's not that I'm fearful of something happening; that's just dumb. It's that I'll be thinking about this horror. All the fun of watching this film is gone, for a time.
Tim, if that works for you, then go for it. :thumbup: However, I live in Colorado and I am taking my wife and kids to see the movie in 2 hours. We are sad for the victims, but I am not going to let one crazy guy change a birthday celebration I have had planned with my kids and family. We have had enough sadness (I live in the Springs) and I am not going to let fires or crazies, bring us down.Not to sound cold, but I am guessing we have a much better chance of being killed in a car accident on the way to the theater, than actually something happening at the theater.

Maybe after, but I doubt seriously before. In fact, I doubt after, too.
The reels are already at the theaters.
I assume you're talking about the movie reels. We're talking about a separate reel (like a trailer reel.)

Assume the police are looking for the person mentioned in bold below?

Corbin Dates and Jennifer Seeger were sitting in the second row of the theater.

During the opening credits, Dates saw someone in the front row answer a phone call and walk to the emergency door in the front of the theater, he said.
From here.

The same way they made laws to remove all cocain from private citizens?
Well, when THOSE laws were passed, most private citizens didn't have cocaine. In any case, we haven't done a great job of enforcing those laws, have we?

Users who are viewing this thread