What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Snow!!! ***Official 17-18 Winter Storm Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I had a similar "epiphany" but it was when I was living in Salt Lake City. I worked in brokerage ops so I had to work on NYSE time. We had to be at work at 7 AM local time so I typically left the house about 6:30. One night, we got about a foot of snow, so I had to get up at 4:30 to shovel the driveway to get my car out. Half way through shoveling a foot of snow in 20 degree weather in the pitch black, I threw the shovel across the yard, went inside and called out. A month later, I was in Florida. I haven't seen a single snowflake fall since that night. 
Something somewhat similar.  About four or five years ago, we were living in Charlotte.  In early October, it got below 40 degrees and it never got above it until sometime in April.  I had had enough.  Told my wife that I was moving back to Florida.  She gave in and agreed on the condition that we wait until the youngest child graduated (last year).  I agreed and we moved the next year.  I could care less if I ever see another snowflake again in my life.

Just heard this insane WOMMMMMMP sound outside about 10 times, followed by the sky lighting up with a weird green glow, then we lost power. Scared the living #### out of me until I realized it was the transformer going out. And now there are a bunch of them in the distance doing the same. Eerie as hell. This is no longer fun.

Just heard this insane WOMMMMMMP sound outside about 10 times, followed by the sky lighting up with a weird green glow, then we lost power. Scared the living #### out of me until I realized it was the transformer going out. And now there are a bunch of them in the distance doing the same. Eerie as hell. This is no longer fun.
I’ve experienced this a few times.  Definitely no bueno.  

It’s actually slightly cold here in Clearwater this morning with a pretty intense 15-20 mph wind blowing.  Feels like it’s in the 40s.  Overnight lows are actually dipping down into the upper 30s.  Unpossible, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my concern last night - it’s a really wet, heavy snow and it’s weighing trees and power lines down.  We lost signal with our satellite but still have power so far.  Still snowing here - we appear to have about 5-6 inches of snow which is pretty much the most snow my kids have ever seen and definitely this early in the year.  They were saying we might get flurries but little to no accumulations all week - nice job morans!

Really glad we have a fireplace and gas stove. Just had an enormous breakfast with hot coffee, listening to podcasts by the fire. Even in a power outage you don't have to talk to your wife. :)  

Getting a decent flow of snow in DC now. Doesn't look like it's sticking. Stuck in a hospital hoping to get discharged before I get stranded

Go jump in front of a snowplow.
:sadbanana:  

eta: having grown up in ncal where it snowed 1x in my life there (which melted by the time I'd gotten properly dressed to play in it), I get the excitement. even though I'm someplace where it's more regular- I still get excited at the first snow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw something like that when Irma came through. Definitely a strange sight.

eta: having grown up in ncal where it snowed 1x in my life there (which melted by the time I'd gotten properly dressed to play in it), I get the excitement. even though I'm someplace where it's more regular- I still get excited at the first snow.
Just messing with you - us hicks don’t see this much. 

El Floppo said:

Had to go to the upper East side and back in this. 

The thrill is gone.

Jedi Knight said:
Something somewhat similar.  About four or five years ago, we were living in Charlotte.  In early October, it got below 40 degrees and it never got above it until sometime in April.  I had had enough.  Told my wife that I was moving back to Florida.  She gave in and agreed on the condition that we wait until the youngest child graduated (last year).  I agreed and we moved the next year.  I could care less if I ever see another snowflake again in my life.
Dude, the average high temperature here on the coldest day of the year (January 17) is 51 degrees.  The average low temperature in October is well north of 50 degrees.  Unless there's a Charlotte, Alaska or you lived in Charlotte, Maine, this doesn't add up.  I'm not even sure it occurred during the ice age.

Just read this interesting stat...

This one always blows peoples minds. Even though we only average around 4″ of snow per year. We have never had a year with ZERO snow reported in Charlotte. These records go back to 1878; that means 139 years of at least some snow. If you think that maybe they were all just a trace. You’d be wrong; they were just 12 years with just a trace, which means less than 0.10″. That also means 91% of the years on record we actually had measurable snow. So while we don’t get a lot of snow here, we always get at least a small taste every

I love that he basically says that if this had been rain instead of snow, you wouldn’t even have known they screwed up. Basically, they’re wrong more often than they admit, normally you just can’t tell.
Snow forecasting is really tough. If you’re off by .5” of liquid that’s 3-6” of snowfall. 

Dude, the average high temperature here on the coldest day of the year (January 17) is 51 degrees.  The average low temperature in October is well north of 50 degrees.  Unless there's a Charlotte, Alaska or you lived in Charlotte, Maine, this doesn't add up.  I'm not even sure it occurred during the ice age.
Ok.  I am probably exaggerating a little, but I do remember that it was particularly cold that year and it seemed to stretch on for months without a typical warm-up.  I remember that it snowed about 4 or 5 different times that winter and even family that lived in Florida were complaining that it was a colder-than-normal winter.

Regardless, I can't stand the cold.  Period.  There were other reasons to leave NC (state income tax, allergies), but winters are reason number 1.  I'm back in FL and couldn't be happier.

AAABatteries said:
This was my concern last night - it’s a really wet, heavy snow and it’s weighing trees and power lines down.  We lost signal with our satellite but still have power so far.  Still snowing here - we appear to have about 5-6 inches of snow which is pretty much the most snow my kids have ever seen and definitely this early in the year.  They were saying we might get flurries but little to no accumulations all week - nice job morans!
mfw

A foot of snow dropped in the Twin Cities yesterday. 

From Nov 1- April 1, we cant park on the street from midnight-5am to allow for plowing. The bastards didn't show up and I got stuck leaving my driveway.  :wall:

A foot of snow dropped in the Twin Cities yesterday. 

From Nov 1- April 1, we cant park on the street from midnight-5am to allow for plowing. The bastards didn't show up and I got stuck leaving my driveway.  :wall:
Probably need a local thread for Minnesotan to appreciate, but i have a few stories from the snow dump from yesterday:

• We live 11 houses from the school my wife works at.  Yet, when she drives our kids to school (they go to high school, not her k-8 school), she drives back to work, instead of dropping the car off at home and just walking.  So, instead of having to just deal with my one car I had to drive to work, I also had to dig her car out and get it home.  Couldn't, because it was on the other side of a hill, so it is parked in a neighbor's driveway until the city decides to ever plow our street.
  • After digging her out and driving home, I saw a Ford Escape stuck at a stop sign and couldn't get moving.  I had my two teenage boys with me, so we jumped out and tried to help push him out.  He had sat and spun his tires for who knows how long so he had created a nice ice bed under his tires and we couldn't budge him.  Thankfully, a guy comes driving by in a mid size Chevy SUV (Trailblazer?).  He was huge and we got the Escape pushed out right away and he goes about his business.  The Chevy driver gets back in his SUV, and I can see he's not going anywhere.  So we jump out of our Sequoia and give him a push to get him going again.  Why do people (particularly in Minnesota) spend the money on an SUV but not get 4WD?  My Sequoia was cutting through the snow like a hot knife through butter.  I just got it last week, and it was awesome fun to drive.
  • This morning, the city hadn't plowed yet, but some private plow truck did one pass down the middle of the street.  It was just enough to create a very wide and hard packed pile of snow at the bottom of our driveway.  My neighbor and I share the bottom of our driveway (they split as they get closer to our houses), and they had a car stuck at the bottom of their side (our driveway is a 45 degree slope, coming off a street of about a 35 degree slope, so it is tricky when it snows).  She tried to move it so her husband could get out and go to work (i was also warming up my Sequoia ready to go).  She just drives straight into the snow pack and gets stuck.  So, her husband and I fully dressed for office jobs are shoveling and pushing her out.  She gets partially out, then driving forward, didn't turn sharp enough and drove back into the pack, getting her car stuck again.  I think if I wasn't there, her husband might have buried her in the snow.  He was livid.

Users who are viewing this thread