What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (4 Viewers)

fred_1_15301 said:
Otis said:
Here comes the first weekend. :scared:
Has your wife given in yet?
Still both going strong. I discussed this thread with her last night. We don't believe we are alcoholics because we don't have a physical addition. It's a habit thing. So we're trying to break the habit. We'll see.

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Super Bowl Sunday was spent wrecking myself until 4AM on Monday.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even think of having a drink over the next couple of days.

Putting in a conscious effort to do this seems to have changed the dynamics significantly. I'm sitting on the train, at 7:45 in the morning, thinking about a ### ####ed drink

:wall:
:lmao: I think the focus on it is getting to me a little today, too. I was just thinking I'd really like a glass of wine, and it's 1 p.m. here. This feeling doesn't usually hit until 5ish. Hang in there, GB.
Me too. :bag:

So I got 6 bottles of beer in the fridge. I'm going to go with a modified version and these are the only 6 beers I get this month. Cause you know ones they are cold you can't take them back out. :shrug:

I don't drink everyday but I do enjoy a good beer a few times a week.
Wooderson, you are welcome to stay here but if you don't want to follow the rules I'm sure there are a lot of other threads out there for you.
Can you remind me of the "rules" Seems like everyone has different reasons to take a month off.

If I only have 6 beers this month maybe that is a good goal for me. Be careful not to judge others.

Last edited by a moderator:
fred_1_15301 said:
Otis said:
Still both going strong. I discussed this thread with her last night. We don't believe we are alcoholics because we don't have a physical addition. It's a habit thing. So we're trying to break the habit. We'll see.
Yesterday was really tough because it would have been my nephew's birthday. Mrs. SLB drank a bottle of wine which is really unusual for her.

I held strong though and slept for 11.5 hours. Working 12+ hour days for the last two weeks and partying like a rock star SB weekend killing me.

Got lucky in that it's 55 degrees right now so my 8 mile walk is going to be glorious. Of course I'm missing Mardi Gras downtown, again. Hundreds of thousands of people getting hammered and young wimmens showing their boobs. :(

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even think of having a drink over the next couple of days.

Putting in a conscious effort to do this seems to have changed the dynamics significantly. I'm sitting on the train, at 7:45 in the morning, thinking about a ### ####ed drink

:lmao: I think the focus on it is getting to me a little today, too. I was just thinking I'd really like a glass of wine, and it's 1 p.m. here. This feeling doesn't usually hit until 5ish. Hang in there, GB.

So I got 6 bottles of beer in the fridge. I'm going to go with a modified version and these are the only 6 beers I get this month. Cause you know ones they are cold you can't take them back out. :shrug:

Wooderson, you are welcome to stay here but if you don't want to follow the rules I'm sure there are a lot of other threads out there for you.
Can you remind me of the "rules"Seems like everyone has different reasons to take a month off.

If I only have 6 beers this month maybe that is a good goal for me. Be careful not to judge others.
:lmao: @ the bolded

Hi, I'm Bob.

I don't care if you drink 6 beers an hour, this thread is for people that want to quit alcohol for a month so that their body, particularly their liver, can recover. I'm a drunk, I've been a drunk for over 25 years. I like being a drunk and have no plans of quitting being a drunk. However I realize that enjoying the drunk lifestyle there are other sacrifices that need to be made. I've also aggressively exercised over the last 25+ years for example.

I've read a lot studies online and the majority seem to agree that 4-5 weeks of complete abstinence from alcohol will let the liver heal and recover from too much booze and abuse.

This place (NO) is one long destructuve marathon of physical destruction from Halloween right through Carnival. I can't take it any more, it's beer, oysters, smoothies, cereal, yogurt & cereal for me until Easter at least.

hasn't been very difficult for me thus far, although it's only week 1. my wife said that she'd play along with me but only lasted until tuesday. if this continues to go well for me, i might stay away from the booze until my vacation in april.

hasn't been very difficult for me thus far, although it's only week 1. my wife said that she'd play along with me but only lasted until tuesday. if this continues to go well for me, i might stay away from the booze until my vacation in april.
In years past, most of them I've made it to March, I feel like "this is no big deal, I can go much longer". Then I have a l have my first drink.

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Can you remind me of the "rules"Seems like everyone has different reasons to take a month off.

Hi, I'm Bob.

I don't care if you drink 6 beers an hour, this thread is for people that want to quit alcohol for a month so that their body, particularly their liver, can recover. I'm a drunk, I've been a drunk for over 25 years. I like being a drunk and have no plans of quitting being a drunk. However I realize that enjoying the drunk lifestyle there are other sacrifices that need to be made. I've also aggressively exercised over the last 25+ years for example.

I've read a lot studies online and the majority seem to agree that 4-5 weeks of complete abstinence from alcohol will let the liver heal and recover from too much booze and abuse.
Not sure why that's funny.

So this thread is only for real tough guy drunks got it.

What happens if a bigger drunk doesn't come along and tells you that giving it up for a month is no big deal. Then lists the reasons he is even a bigger functioning alcoholic then you.

I hope you find help I truly do. You might think you are just fine for the 11 drunk months you have a year. But good chance your are hurting others.

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Hi, I'm Bob.

Not sure why that's funny. So this thread is only for real tough guy drunks got it.

What happens if a bigger drunk doesn't come along and tells you that giving it up for a month is no big deal. Then lists the reasons he is even a bigger functioning alcoholic then you.

I hope you find help I truly do. You might think you are just fine for the 11 drunk months you have a year. But good chance your are hurting others.
Not that you're judging others. Yeesh

It's Sober Jan-April for me.

Had a rough day at work yesterday and almost stopped for a bottle of Basil Hayden. Recovered with a work out and made it through.

38 days down. 2094395 to go. :kicksrock:

Leaving on a cruise May 2nd. Last year on a similar cruise I drank my way to a hefty bill at the end. Hoping this does wonders for my tolerance level and I can cruise on the cheap.

My energy level is off the charts.

Played guitar for about 45 minutes

Cleaned the main floor for two hours

Made the boy breakfast, and cleaned everything up when done

Exercised for 45 minutes

Played guitar for another 45 minutes

Now I'm pacing around wondering what to do with myself.

Exercised for 45 minutes

Same for me.

The sleep I get is amazing lately. Never wake up in the middle of the night anymore. Wake up, go to the gym for an hour of cardio, actually do chores around the house.

It's around 6 pm or so when I start to think about a nice glass of bourbon. If I check in the FFA drunk thread, just to see what everyone's drinking, I get weak. Quick recover when I force myself to read tim's discussion on the 2nd amendment though.

Exercised for 45 minutes

Sounds like you deserve a drink :)

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Hi, I'm Bob.

When I do drink, it's only on weekends when I do, and it isn't every weekend. Unlike you, I can even go a whole month without drinking. There is a good chance you are hurting others. I hope you find help, I truly do.

Exercised for 45 minutes

You should be funnier or something
:lmao:

I just got done walking 8 miles but then I again I do that almost every day.

these studies legit?
Yeah I'll need to research this. That seems hard to believe.
I welcome that. Some say it takes as long as year or two. I'm just taking a bunch of stuff I read and taking the average time.

Exercised for 45 minutes

You should be funnier or something
:lmao: I just got done walking 8 miles but then I again I do that almost every day.
think the walk is next on the agenda. Bringing the dog, so it will probably only be a mile or so. She doesn't hold up over the long haul like she used to

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Hi, I'm Bob.

Not sure why that's funny.So this thread is only for real tough guy drunks got it.

When I do drink, it's only on weekends when I do, and it isn't every weekend. Unlike you, I can even go a whole month without drinking. There is a good chance you are hurting others. I hope you find help, I truly do.
You lost be here Bob. I thought you said you were a drunk. It doesn't matter lets just move on.

Good luck this month.

fred_1_15301 said:
Otis said:
Yesterday was really tough because it would have been my nephew's birthday. Mrs. SLB drank a bottle of wine which is really unusual for her.

I held strong though and slept for 11.5 hours. Working 12+ hour days for the last two weeks and partying like a rock star SB weekend killing me.

Got lucky in that it's 55 degrees right now so my 8 mile walk is going to be glorious. Of course I'm missing Mardi Gras downtown, again. Hundreds of thousands of people getting hammered and young wimmens showing their boobs. :(
Stay the course, GB

fred_1_15301 said:
Otis said:

Stay the course, GB
You too GB. Of course having children REALLY helps like an anchor around my neck me stay focused.

fred_1_15301 said:
Otis said:

Stay the course, GB
You too GB. Of course having children REALLY helps like an anchor around my neck me stay focused.
:lmao:

Amen.

I actually believe I'm feeling better these days, more energy, I seem to wake up feeling better; actually a bit more groggy in the morning, and I believe that's because I'm coming out of a deeper more restful sleep. I've also generally been eating a little better because I'm not sitting on the couch getting loaded. Almost one week in, I'm curious to see how this goes over time.

It's a brave new world.

I actually believe I'm feeling better these days, more energy, I seem to wake up feeling better; actually a bit more groggy in the morning, and I believe that's because I'm coming out of a deeper more restful sleep. I've also generally been eating a little better because I'm not sitting on the couch getting loaded. Almost one week in, I'm curious to see how this goes over time.

It's a brave new world.
I don't anticipate going past February but I will definitely cut back going forward. It's nice to have all this energy.

5 weeks in and while I've not had a drink the entire time I haven't lost much weight and I haven't been sleeping well at all. I have to start exercising.

Celebrated 3 years being clean and sober last Sunday. It's been an ongoing struggle for me my entire life. I've gone from having 10 years clean, to 2 years later not being able to stop for even one day. Just when you think you've got this thing figured out, you don't.

I'll be honest - recovery this time around has been tough. Not a day goes by where I don't long for that temporary escape that used to take the edge off. I've learned to live with the edge and manage it as best I can. At times it's like having an awful itch that you can't scratch, which is really indescribable to those not afflicted with the disease. And then there's the mind games that go on - glorifying the good old days. These I think are the most dangerous moments. I've learned over the years that it's critical to combat these thoughts by immediately redirecting the mind toward the bad memories, and believe me, there were plenty of those.

On the plus side my health is incredibly improved and my key relationships are better than ever. I can honestly say that my #1 priority the last 3 years has been on being a good father. I'm pretty tough on myself, but in this area I can honestly say I've done a great job. I call my son my compass - if I do things with his best interests in mind I know I'll be ok. And so far it has worked.

Good luck to all you guys - whether it be quitting for 1 month, or perhaps even addressing more serious questions. I'm always available for pm's if anyone ever wants to talk offline. All confidential of course.

Celebrated 3 years being clean and sober last Sunday. It's been an ongoing struggle for me my entire life. I've gone from having 10 years clean, to 2 years later not being able to stop for even one day. Just when you think you've got this thing figured out, you don't.

I'll be honest - recovery this time around has been tough. Not a day goes by where I don't long for that temporary escape that used to take the edge off. I've learned to live with the edge and manage it as best I can. At times it's like having an awful itch that you can't scratch, which is really indescribable to those not afflicted with the disease. And then there's the mind games that go on - glorifying the good old days. These I think are the most dangerous moments. I've learned over the years that it's critical to combat these thoughts by immediately redirecting the mind toward the bad memories, and believe me, there were plenty of those.

On the plus side my health is incredibly improved and my key relationships are better than ever. I can honestly say that my #1 priority the last 3 years has been on being a good father. I'm pretty tough on myself, but in this area I can honestly say I've done a great job. I call my son my compass - if I do things with his best interests in mind I know I'll be ok. And so far it has worked.

Good luck to all you guys - whether it be quitting for 1 month, or perhaps even addressing more serious questions. I'm always available for pm's if anyone ever wants to talk offline. All confidential of course.
Congratulations this is what its all about.

What happened to this thread? Petty fights, seriousness, blech. Y'all should have a drink to lighten up. ;)

I had the most miserable hiking day I've ever had. Just really wanted/needed to get out, so despite torrential downpours we insanely did a hike in the North Cascades. A trail that turned into a rushing creek with dozens of waterfalls left us soaked absolutely head to toe--waterproof boots and gaiters don't really work if the water goes knee-high and comes into the boots from the top. Cold, soaked, exhausted, and pissed off I told Mr. krista that if today didn't cause me to drink, nothing would. I didn't.

Heading out for two more hikes tomorrow, rain or...well, rain. Might as well.

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Hi, I'm Bob.

What the ####?

Hi! My name is Limp....

Hi! Limp!
Hi Limp!!!

Hi, I'm Bob.

Not sure why that's funny.So this thread is only for real tough guy drunks got it.

What the ####?
Yeah got kinda dumb. Sorry about all that.

For some reason him trying to control how I could post in the thread bothered me.

Exercised for 45 minutes

So I conquer the world this afternoon. OK, not THE world, but at least mine. Even got the dog walk in, which ended up being about 2 miles.

Then.......

First real test will be Saturday night. Poker night among a few beer aficionados.

Did I happen to mention that I love beer?
Made it through the poker game. Soooo much beer talk. The beer aficionados were out in force, the usual 5 or 6 suspects, plus 2 new ones. They all brought various samples of great beers, even had one guy bring a home brew he made. Now I don't usually drink much when I gamble, lots of bad history there,but lots of temptation.Oh, and I rocked. Focused, had great reads, a few stone cold bluffs. Best I have played I years. Cashed in all 3 tourneys we played, 3rd place in first 2, decided to split top 2 in the last one

Is there anything sober Limp can't do?

What happened to this thread? Petty fights, seriousness, blech. Y'all should have a drink to lighten up. ;)

I had the most miserable hiking day I've ever had. Just really wanted/needed to get out, so despite torrential downpours we insanely did a hike in the North Cascades. A trail that turned into a rushing creek with dozens of waterfalls left us soaked absolutely head to toe--waterproof boots and gaiters don't really work if the water goes knee-high and comes into the boots from the top. Cold, soaked, exhausted, and pissed off I told Mr. krista that if today didn't cause me to drink, nothing would. I didn't.

Heading out for two more hikes tomorrow, rain or...well, rain. Might as well.
You have much stronger willpower than me. If I had done that type of hike, I probably would have caved.

Users who are viewing this thread