What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sober February (6 Viewers)

There is just no way I can do this.

Super Bowl and the wife and I always take the day after off to go have fun. So that day is off.

Valentines Day--there is always some form of alcohol involved.

President's day is another 3-day weekend.

Walking Dead is back.

Daytona 500...

And then we have Spring Break in March.

I am just going to say I remained sober on 1/29--small victories, small victories I tell you.....
:confused:
Yeah, I know I got off subject there....

I'm in for February 2015. I'm going to go 28-0 and bring home the Dry Young award.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been on a 6 week cleanse and today is the start of week 5. I have a calendar on the fridge where I've X'd off each day to give me a little "atta boy" when I see it's been a few weeks. I'm going to try and push it past the 6 weeks since I don't have anything really on the schedule until March Madness/St Patty's Day. GL to all who are in this one.

(Note: I haven't taken a single tums in a month, my eyes look less puffy to where a couple people have commented on it, I've lost 19 lbs and I'm sleeping straight through the night 10p - 6a. So some good stuff is coming out of this....)

I've been giving my liver and iron lung that work lately. Thinking a month cleanse would be ideal. Not sure I can go the distance tho. Currently single and enjoy women too much (sober dates normally aren't as fun :sadbanana: )

I'm in for this. My liver could use some drying out. Don't believe I've ever gone a full month without a drink since I started. May be a it of a challenge.

In, with a slight mod to allow for yesterday. 2/2-3/1 :banned: :wall:
This is what I'm doing, too.

Given that I usually have some wine every day, I'm not looking forward to 5 or 6 p.m. today when I usually start to get a hankering.
That's my routine too. Get home, pour a glass, throw on some music, make dinner. I have been hitting the eliptical down in the basement instead. Not nearly as fun. Good luck.

In, with a slight mod to allow for yesterday. 2/2-3/1 :banned: :wall:
This is what I'm doing, too.

Given that I usually have some wine every day, I'm not looking forward to 5 or 6 p.m. today when I usually start to get a hankering.
That's my routine too. Get home, pour a glass, throw on some music, make dinner. I have been hitting the eliptical down in the basement instead. Not nearly as fun. Good luck.
Thanks. :thumbup: You're right--need a distraction when that time comes, something active to do instead.

I started yesterday and will plan to go until Feb 26th (when I have an AC trip planned). Not an easy task for a borderline alcoholic.

Just to be clear, is the rule no drinking at all or just staying sober (not being drunk)?
Yes I was actually wondering the same :oldunsure:
Probably defeats the purpose I guess. I'm pretty sure I could have 4-6 beers per night and not be "drunk", but not healthy.
Yup I'm going to try to go 0 alcohol until Feb 26th. I'm really not sure if I can do this but I'm fascinated to see what my body will feel like if I succeed.

day 1 free and clear but I swear to go I feel like my life is mimicing Airplane in that today has been a cluster #### at work and I've picked a horrible time to quit sniffing glue.

day 1 free and clear but I swear to go I feel like my life is mimicing Airplane in that today has been a cluster #### at work and I've picked a horrible time to quit sniffing glue.
I kept thinking of that Airplane line yesterday, too. :lmao:

Day One in the books, though I was sorely tempted due to the news about TU. My first drink on March 2 will be a toast to Sean.

Like fred, I'm curious to see how my body responds. I'm also giving up soda, though I intend that one to be permanent. I average maybe 3/4 of a Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper a day. I've given it up before, one time for several years, but in periods of stress have started up again including periods of drinking 2-3 per day. I've seen positive changes when I don't drink it--oddly enough, the most noticeable is that my fingernails don't chip or break. Nasty stuff, soda.

krista4 said:
CGRdrJoe said:

Day One in the books, though I was sorely tempted due to the news about TU. My first drink on March 2 will be a toast to Sean.

Like fred, I'm curious to see how my body responds. I'm also giving up soda, though I intend that one to be permanent. I average maybe 3/4 of a Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper a day. I've given it up before, one time for several years, but in periods of stress have started up again including periods of drinking 2-3 per day. I've seen positive changes when I don't drink it--oddly enough, the most noticeable is that my fingernails don't chip or break. Nasty stuff, soda.
Doing the soda thing also, but had already cut down from 1/day to 2-3/week.
:hifive:

Something I realized after just one day without wine is that I just like to drink things. I must have had three gallons of water yesterday. I've been using the MiO flavor enhancers that make water almost tasty.

For me, soda and alcohol go together. I rarely drink soda on its own but my drink of choice at home is rum and coke. I don't drink every day but usually at least 3 days (sometimes 4) a week. The problem for me is once I get started, it's hard for me to stop. This month will be a nice test for me and I'm pretty sure I will end up feeling reinvigorated. I'm also planning to eat healthier (although I tend to eat fairly healthy) and exercise more frequently (which will really be challenging with a 6 month old). I'm glad I found this thread.

krista4 said:
CGRdrJoe said:

Something I realized after just one day without wine is that I just like to drink things. I must have had three gallons of water yesterday. I've been using the MiO flavor enhancers that make water almost tasty.
generic seltzer water, not club soda(too much salt) is your friend. i put concentrated black cherry juice in mine since shuke gave me The Gout. yummy.

CGRdrJoe said:
Just do it, man. :thumbup:

krista4 said:
CGRdrJoe said:

generic seltzer water, not club soda(too much salt) is your friend. i put concentrated black cherry juice in mine since shuke gave me The Gout. yummy.
I just use tap water; am not fancy like you. :shrug:

WDIK, if you try the MiO, I recommend the lemon (best one), orange, black cherry, and fruit punch. Some of the other flavors aren't so good, especially the one that is green--don't know what flavor it was supposed to be, but it just tasted very green. They also make some with vitamins and/or caffeine in them but I've just used the regular ones.

I have been alcohol-free since the new year began. I was going to allow myself a cheat day for the super bowl and shockingly didn't have the desire. I have now penciled in St. Patty's day as my return to "responsible" alcohol consumption after a long time of daily consumption.

So far, my energy levels have improved greatly and I have lost a fair amount of weight and bloat without exercising. I have increased my sugar usage though (was never a big dessert person, but have been raiding the pantry and freezer for sweets), but the weight continues to come off. I do plan on starting a exercise plan soon.

krista4 said:
CGRdrJoe said:

What's the difference between using MiO and Diet Soda? Both have splenda/fake sugar...is it the no caffeine/carbonation?

krista4 said:
CGRdrJoe said:

I just use tap water; am not fancy like you. :shrug:

WDIK, if you try the MiO, I recommend the lemon (best one), orange, black cherry, and fruit punch. Some of the other flavors aren't so good, especially the one that is green--don't know what flavor it was supposed to be, but it just tasted very green. They also make some with vitamins and/or caffeine in them but I've just used the regular ones.
Not fancy. Bored. I drink close to a gallon of water a day. I start every day with 32 oz right out of bed. Water on its ownI gets old. I don't drink anything else other than booze.

krista4 said:
CGRdrJoe said:

What's the difference between using MiO and Diet Soda? Both have splenda/fake sugar...is it the no caffeine/carbonation?
Lack of carbonation is a big difference, but the bigger is that I use just the tiniest bit (one squirt) of MiO, and the amount of sucralose in that is negligible. Just gives a tiny light flavor.

Super Bowl Sunday was spent wrecking myself until 4AM on Monday.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even think of having a drink over the next couple of days.

Putting in a conscious effort to do this seems to have changed the dynamics significantly. I'm sitting on the train, at 7:45 in the morning, thinking about a ### ####ed drink

:wall:

Limp Ditka said:
Super Bowl Sunday was spent wrecking myself until 4AM on Monday.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't even think of having a drink over the next couple of days.

Putting in a conscious effort to do this seems to have changed the dynamics significantly. I'm sitting on the train, at 7:45 in the morning, thinking about a ### ####ed drink

:wall:
:lmao: I think the focus on it is getting to me a little today, too. I was just thinking I'd really like a glass of wine, and it's 1 p.m. here. This feeling doesn't usually hit until 5ish. Hang in there, GB.

So I got 6 bottles of beer in the fridge. I'm going to go with a modified version and these are the only 6 beers I get this month. Cause you know ones they are cold you can't take them back out. :shrug:

I don't drink everyday but I do enjoy a good beer a few times a week.

Didn't know there was a thread. Mrs. O and I have given up booze since the SB. Plan to go about a month then slowly work in weekends.

Really missing it some nights. But actually feeling better in the mornings. Much as I hate to admit it.

We usually drink at least a bottle of wine a night and that's usually after I have a beer or two on my commute home and I often cap off the night with a scotch. Through this all I eat total garbage while sitting on the couch. Giving up booze seems to be the answer. We'll see if old Oats can drop a few this way.

Users who are viewing this thread