What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

State Foods (1 Viewer)

And I love beer cheese but have never heard of it originating in KY. Would’ve guessed the Hot Brown.

I always associate beer cheese with Kentucky. Not sure why. I just see it everywhere in Lexington. But I'd agree, the Hot Brown is more famous.
As a lifelong Kentuckian,

I would definitely have Hot Brown #1. I would assume Kentucky Fried Chicken is top 2 in the minds of most people. But fried chicken from a chain is kind of a lame signature food, so we don't count it haha.

I've had Beer cheese in multiple KY cities, and never knew it originated here. I figured it was a Wisconsin thing that we adopted.

OK, Iowa people: Just heard of this sandwich, and want to know if it is really a 'thing'.

The Iowa skinny

Seems to be a pork tenderloin pounded flat and breaded/fried.
Never heard it called an Iowa Skinny (Been in Iowa my whole life), but yes you can get them anywhere. Most of the places I have been just call it a tenderloin sandwich.

You can even Follow the tenderloin trail

Here are the results for the best Tenderloin last year The restaurant in my town took 2nd.

You ever read the book "Adventures of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson? It's a memoir of his time growing up in Iowa in the 50s/60s and it's really good. Felt like I was in Iowa while reading it. Happy to send it to you (or anybody). Funny as hell, talks about the State Fair a bit.
I have never heard of it, but would definitely be interested. The state of Iowa gets a lot of grief and living in a small town doesn't have near as many options as a larger area, but looking back, growing up here and raising a family here definitely has its positives as well.

Just having general "barbecue" for Missouri and Texas feels lazy. Shrimp and grits is a good choice for SC. Could use some good Brunswick stew on a cold, rainy day like today but I don't know if I've ever had it while in Georgia.
I had never heard of Brunswick stew until last year when I had it in Georgia.

Grew up in Michigan, would not have guessed wet burrito.
Fried chicken is too generic, but Zehnders does it best.
Cherry pie for sure would be on the short list. As would Apple cider and cinnamon donuts.

But the winner for Michigan should have been the Pączki.
I’m just not sure I’ve seen a wet burrito outside of Michigan. It’s a good choice for this list (but not a very good choice for a meal).

Cherry pie for sure would be on the short list. As would Apple cider and cinnamon donuts.

I’m just not sure I’ve seen a wet burrito outside of Michigan. It’s a good choice for this list (but not a very good choice for a meal).
I wouldn't have guessed it was a Michigan creation. Good choice though- you aren't a fan? What is not to like about it?

I would say the paczki is Polish though, right? Also I think other Midwest cities with large Polish populations like Chicago have these. I think Mackinac Island Fudge is what I would go with. Superman ice cream is unique to here as well but it's just for kids really.

I wouldn't have guessed it was a Michigan creation. Good choice though- you aren't a fan? What is not to like about it?
I just don't like enchilada sauce. Make that mole and I'll order it every time.

I would say the paczki is Polish though, right? Also I think other Midwest cities with large Polish populations like Chicago have these. I think Mackinac Island Fudge is what I would go with. Superman ice cream is unique to here as well but it's just for kids really.
I support the fudge. I was expecting to see a Yooper Pasty for Michigan

I just don't like enchilada sauce. Make that mole and I'll order it every time.
Fair, I am the opposite. I could never get into mole.

Users who are viewing this thread