What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stormy Daniels scandal thread (3 Viewers)

Renato Mariotti‏Verified account @renato_mariotti

Michael Cohen's attorney just claimed on @OutFrontCNN that Trump was not aware of the Stormy Daniels agreement or the payment, which means that there was no contract between Trump and Daniels, and Daniels can release the materials. Why would he admit this on national television?

Renato Mariotti‏Verified account @renato_mariotti

Michael Cohen's attorney just claimed on @OutFrontCNN that Trump was not aware of the Stormy Daniels agreement or the payment, which means that there was no contract between Trump and Daniels, and Daniels can release the materials. Why would he admit this on national television?
Because they want this story over with, and they figure it’s not hurting Trump? 

Of course to any reasonable person it defies belief that Cohen paid this woman $130,000 without consulting Trump, but who cares? Trump can simply deny everything with a wink and his supporters won’t care. 

Of course to any reasonable person it defies belief that Cohen paid this woman $130,000 without consulting Trump, but who cares? Trump can simply deny everything with a wink and his supporters won’t care. 
If they concede that Trump wasn't a party to the agreement, then they may be more comfortable with the consequences that the NDA isn't valid (i.e., Stormy can disclose whatever pics/texts she has) than the alternative, which would involve Trump being deposed. 

They didnt care when they thought he paid.

As I put into the Trump Years thread... the Trump supporters/Republicans are completely (Christian) TRIBAL at this point.

They revile anyone not in their tribe and they excuse and accept everything about their own tribe. They will change on the fly, even their own morals and ethics, to support this continuation of revile/support of the tribal stance. Even if you show them love or empathy they will still consider you the enemy.

I’d just like to go on record and say I care.  I don’t thinks it too much to ask of the POTUS.  And this goes for all of them - JFK, Clinton, Trump - and any future one.  It’s not in the top 50 list of things I’m asking for but I don’t like the fact that so many people just so easily dismiss it. 
I care about the sex mostly because of the way the right used a BJ to try to turn Bill Clinton into public enemy #1 20 years ago and still obsess on it today. This (these) sex scandals by Trump are a fascinating example of blatant hypocritical partisan hacksmanship. The most horrid thing a person could do (according the Fox News and it's viewers) has suddenly become 'we didn't vote for him to be Mother Theresa'. That's why I care about the sex. It's exposing the right once again.

BigSteelThrill said:
Awesome. There is no agreement between Trump and Daniels.
If they adopt this argument in the actual litigation, one potential result is that Trump can argue that there is no need for Avenatti to depose him.  

BigSteelThrill said:
Awesome. There is no agreement between Trump and Daniels.
The argument, I assume, is that Trump is a named third-party beneficiary of the contract.  The problem with that argument is that the contract imposed obligations on Trump (release of certain claims and an obligation to refrain from further contact).  So read in context, either Tump is meant to be a party or Cohen, acting though the LLC was vested with the authority to bind Trump.  There's really no way to read the contract where Trump could have been unaware of it yet still have the power to enforce it.  

At this point, IMO, the best thing Cohen could do is to find some means of settling where Daniels can tell her story but not release any texts or whatever.  At this point, everybody already assumes the assignation happened.  Cohen could very well get the case into arbitration, but even then I think a lot of this stuff will come up again when he files to enforce the judgment because there are already lots of indications that the arbiter is biased.  

LOL.  I'm not really a fan of his style, but even I can't begrudge Avenatti his right to gloat here.
I would prefer that our colleagues at the bar would conduct themselves with a bit more decorum.  I believe this reflects negatively on the profession.  His self-promotion, his aggrandizement of his ego creates misperceptions in the consumer as to what services they can expect us to provide and the manner in which we can be expected to provide them.  If we as a profession start acting like carnival barkers we can expect to get paid like them and to garner the same respect as they get. 

Hopefully the impressions this guy makes are off set by the impressions made by folks like you, Henry Ford, Big Bottom, .... 

The argument, I assume, is that Trump is a named third-party beneficiary of the contract.  The problem with that argument is that the contract imposed obligations on Trump (release of certain claims and an obligation to refrain from further contact).  So read in context, either Tump is meant to be a party or Cohen, acting though the LLC was vested with the authority to bind Trump.  There's really no way to read the contract where Trump could have been unaware of it yet still have the power to enforce it.  

At this point, IMO, the best thing Cohen could do is to find some means of settling where Daniels can tell her story but not release any texts or whatever.  At this point, everybody already assumes the assignation happened.  Cohen could very well get the case into arbitration, but even then I think a lot of this stuff will come up again when he files to enforce the judgment because there are already lots of indications that the arbiter is biased.  
That's not all it requires of him.

Do you or anyone in the know care to take a gander at Section 4.3?

- I would in particular like it if someone would assess the sec. 4.3(b)(ii) and second sec. 4.3(b) (iii).

And btw Indestructible this is a good example of the lousy clerical drafting having substantive effects because you can see that this was originally 4.3(b)(i)-(ii) but then whoever actually crafted this thing went ahead and put an additional section including two more 4.3(i)-(iii)'s.... which indicates to me this is an edited version of a form where it was specifically added that Trump was holding something over Stormy's head that he might go to the "authorities" about. By doing this crummy numbering they are basically screaming people pay attention to this section when they likely intended to bury it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just enjoy this stuff. That's not all it requires of him.

Does anyone in the know care to take a gander at Section 4.3?

- I would in particular like it if someone would assess sec. 4.3(b) (ii).

And btw Indestructible this is a good example of the lousy clerical drafting having substantive effects because you can see that this was originally 4.3(b)(i)-(ii) but then whoever actually crafted this thing went ahead and put an additional section including two more 4.3(i)-(ii).... which indicates to me this is an edited version of a form where it was specifically added that Trump was holding something over Stormy's head that he might go to the "authorities" about. By doing this crummy numbering they are basically screaming people pay attention to this section when they likely intended to bury it.
The implication of that clause is that Trump won't do what David Letterman did.  If Daniels had contacted Trump and said "pay me $$$$ or I will tell the press/your wife about our night together," Trump could, if he was prepared for the fallout, ask the authorities to prosecute her for blackmail.  

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 18m18 minutes ago

Here is an order from the Ct denying our motion as premature on procedural grounds. We will refile the motion as soon as DT, MC, and EC, LLC file their motion to compel arbitration seeking to hide the facts from public view. We expect this any day.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ekuyjfwjfsfw32/URGENT%20LACV02217-SJO-MO.pdf?dl=0

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 13m

These passages in the Court's order do not bode well for the defendants and suggest that there is a strong likelihood that the Court will ultimately agree with our requests for discovery and a trial. They also destroy David Schwartz's claims that the motion was without merit.

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/979391545643282433

Michael Avenatti‏ @MichaelAvenatti 13m13 minutes ago

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/status/979391619484053505

The implication of that clause is that Trump won't do what David Letterman did.  If Daniels had contacted Trump and said "pay me $$$$ or I will tell the press/your wife about our night together," Trump could, if he was prepared for the fallout, ask the authorities to prosecute her for blackmail.  
Wouldn't this threat be a reason why Stormy felt compelled to sign the contract? On 60 Minutes she said she had better offers IIRC.

This is pretty subtle stuff. There is technically nothing wrong with shopping an inside story of a salacious affair. However, it would be wrong to extort someone (and actually David Schwartz, Cohen's friend-attorney, used just that word on CNN). So is there actually anything wrong with Stormy seeking to be paid by Donald for her story? Was there anything actually wrong about Donald or his lawyer actually paying her?

Wouldn't this threat be a reason why Stormy felt compelled to sign the contract? On 60 Minutes she said she had better offers IIRC.

This is pretty subtle stuff. There is technically nothing wrong with shopping an inside story of a salacious affair. However, it would be wrong to extort someone (and actually David Schwartz, Cohen's friend-attorney, used just that word on CNN). So is there actually anything wrong with Stormy seeking to be paid by Donald for her story? Was there anything actually wrong about Donald or his lawyer actually paying her?
In New York, if Stormy Daniels obtained property because she threatened to "[e]xpose a secret or publicize an asserted fact, whether true or false, tending to subject [Donald Trump] to hatred, contempt or ridicule" she would be guilty of Larceny by Extortion in the Second Degree (the value of the property is greater than $50,000 but less than $1 million).  That's a Class C felony.

In New York, if Stormy Daniels obtained property because she threatened to "[e]xpose a secret or publicize an asserted fact, whether true or false, tending to subject [Donald Trump] to hatred, contempt or ridicule" she would be guilty of Larceny by Extortion in the Second Degree (the value of the property is greater than $50,000 but less than $1 million).  That's a Class C felony.
I think this is a threat which makes sense, more sense, than the other one Stormy raised, the guy approaching her in the parking lot.

- However would an attorney advise his client to enter such a contract? He might say - ['ok, we're not making this demand, we're not extorting you, we're just telling you we're shopping this.'] - or something like that. He wouldn't let someone else come in (Cohen) and basically extort his client with criminal prosecution in order to get him a financial benefit (which btw Stormy's attorney also benefited in).

I don't think this makes a lot of sense.

However using the definition of extortion you have there it seems to me it's just as easy to say that Cohen was extorting Stormy.

And someone approaching Stormy and saying in front of her infant child 'it would be a shame if something happened to her mother' takes on a new meaning if the context is that Stormy might be going to jail.

Sorry to hear that.  Going through the process can be very difficult.  There is life on the far side.  Be assured, there is a good life once you have passed through. 
Appreciate the kind words... there are worse place to be as a single middle aged dude than Dallas, that's for sure. Plenty of 25-40 year old talent.  

I think this is a threat which makes sense, more sense, than the other one Stormy raised, the guy approaching her in the parking lot.

- However would an attorney advise his client to enter such a contract? He might say - ['ok, we're not making this demand, we're not extorting you, we're just telling you we're shopping this.'] - or something like that. He wouldn't let someone else come in (Cohen) and basically extort his client with criminal prosecution in order to get him a financial benefit (which btw Stormy's attorney also benefited in).

I don't think this makes a lot of sense.

However using the definition of extortion you have there it seems to me it's just as easy to say that Cohen was extorting Stormy.
Right, how this came to Cohen's attention matters.  If Cohen hears through the grapevine that she's shopping the story, and then approaches her, there's no extortion unless he then threatens to call the cops in the first instance (and then he's extorting her).

I'd probably have to look at the cases where someone says "just letting you know, The Globe is offering me $200,000.00 for this story."  My best case is that the threat doesn't need to be explicit so a jury could find an implied threat like that qualifies.  

That's not all it requires of him.

Do you or anyone in the know care to take a gander at Section 4.3?

- I would in particular like it if someone would assess the sec. 4.3(b)(ii) and second sec. 4.3(b) (iii).

And btw Indestructible this is a good example of the lousy clerical drafting having substantive effects because you can see that this was originally 4.3(b)(i)-(ii) but then whoever actually crafted this thing went ahead and put an additional section including two more 4.3(i)-(iii)'s.... which indicates to me this is an edited version of a form where it was specifically added that Trump was holding something over Stormy's head that he might go to the "authorities" about. By doing this crummy numbering they are basically screaming people pay attention to this section when they likely intended to bury it.
Yes, Section 4.3 is really sloppy.  The repeated subnumerals are only likely to be a problem if another part of the contract refers to 4.3(b)(ii), for example, and it is unclear what that refers to.  But the subnumerals are in different sentences, which helps to distinguish them.  I've seen a lot of contracts that use the same poor subnumeral approach.  Usually you just add a new subsection or use (x), (y), or (z) or something like that.

That section is also sloppy in how it refers to PP.  (Say that sentence out loud!)  Stuff like "any of PP" and "the respective member of PP" and "any of "PP's name."  The language was originally intended for an LLC and then modified for PP.  

I think there is an ethical rule about how you can and cannot use the threat of prosecution (i.e., going to the police).  I also don't think this agreement was supposed to see the light of day, but was instead meant to dissuade Stormy, upon consulting with an attorney, from ever talking about anything.    

could Cohen have a Power of Attorney agreement with DJT? as i understand it, he could then act without the direct or explicit consent of DJT in certain matters. it's a stretch but still...

could Cohen have a Power of Attorney agreement with DJT? as i understand it, he could then act without the direct or explicit consent of DJT in certain matters. it's a stretch but still...
It would have to be a pretty broad power of attorney.  And I think the agreement would have to give the LLC the power of attorney.  Cohen signed on behalf of the LLC, not Trump. I think there's a "no presumption against the drafter" clause in the agreement (I'm too lazy to check again).  But in the absence of that this is a case where we should assume that the guy who drafted the contract did so for a reason and ambiguities should be construed against him.  Schwartz's point that Cohen drafted with the "option" to have Trump sign is ridiculous.  If you put something in the contract, it is presumed to mean something under the canons of interpretation.  

I make no impression.  Avenatti is a lot better lawyer than I am.  The job is advocacy.  Not analysis.  He's an effective advocate.  Which is why he's a successful trial lawyer and I'm a law firm washout. 
He's obviously extremely smart, hard working and has had great success - no doubt about that. This type of lawyer is a nightmare to be up against. That said, I think his hard-charging style may have done him and his client a disservice here.  His motion was premature, and his attack is completely deflated at this point.  Further, the Cohen/DJT side now have somewhat of a roadmap, and about a week or so to figure out how they want to approach this.  They can now use the Court's ruling to structure their responsive pleading to avoid having to provide discovery and potentially avoid a jury trial altogether.

While EC and Mr. Trump have stated their intention to file a petition to compel arbitration, they have not yet done so. If such a petition were filed, a number of the questions raised in Plaintiff's Motion may be answered in the petition, thus limiting the need for discovery on these issues. If such a petition is never filed, Plaintiff's Motion is moot.
If Avenatti had waited until Cohen had responded and sought to compel arbitration, its likely they would have left Avenatti some good reasons to get what he wants, which is a chance to depose the president and put him on the stand in front of a California jury.  There's probably no amount of money that would stop that from happening once a court has asked for it.

I will say that it's a bit weird for him to trumpet a judge's order that:

1) rules his motion is premature

2) faults his motion for failing to abide by the length limits required in the scheduling order; and 

3)  faults him for not effectuating service.  
Yes, and also the footnote that the court is busy and doesn't really do expedited stuff.  

With that having been said, he got out ahead of things on Twitter.  Let David Schwartz explain to Anderson Cooper why proper service is important.  

If Avenatti had waited until Cohen had responded and sought to compel arbitration, its likely they would have left Avenatti some good reasons to get what he wants, which is a chance to depose the president and put him on the stand in front of a California jury.  There's probably no amount of money that would stop that from happening once a court has asked for it.
I agree with this.  Avenatti deposing Trump is the would be the big win.  I could see a path where Trump's deposition is not needed to determine whether the NDA is valid, which wouldn't be great for Avenatti.

Yes, Section 4.3 is really sloppy.  The repeated subnumerals are only likely to be a problem if another part of the contract refers to 4.3(b)(ii), for example, and it is unclear what that refers to.  But the subnumerals are in different sentences, which helps to distinguish them.  I've seen a lot of contracts that use the same poor subnumeral approach.  Usually you just add a new subsection or use (x), (y), or (z) or something like that.

That section is also sloppy in how it refers to PP.  (Say that sentence out loud!)  Stuff like "any of PP" and "the respective member of PP" and "any of "PP's name."  The language was originally intended for an LLC and then modified for PP.  

I think there is an ethical rule about how you can and cannot use the threat of prosecution (i.e., going to the police).  I also don't think this agreement was supposed to see the light of day, but was instead meant to dissuade Stormy, upon consulting with an attorney, from ever talking about anything.    
Can't threaten criminal prosecution to gain advantage in a civil matter.  I have very little question in my mind that Cohen has done this repeatedly in his career working for Trump.

Confronted the with issue of extortion Avenatti on CNN says that Stormy & McDougal were both negotiating with ABC to interview just before the election, then Cohen caught wind of it and approached Davidson, who was attorney for both. 

That still doesn’t explain the ‘authorities’ clause in 4biii, that only makes sense if Stormy was told she could be prosecuted.  But it’s highly doubtful she would have threatened Trump personally, her attorney would have been handling contacts and negotiations, and he also would have had to advise her that such a threat from Cohen had teeth.

Can't threaten criminal prosecution to gain advantage in a civil matter.  I have very little question in my mind that Cohen has done this repeatedly in his career working for Trump.
Can you give an example?  I mean the first part.

Can you give an example?  I mean the first part.
Employee quits and takes a bunch of company data. Former employer sues in civil court for the return of the data and to recover damages. You can’t threaten to call the police and file a report if the former employee doesn’t agree to pay damages in the civil case. 

Cohen’s attorney is an embarrassment and reminds me of an ambulance chaser.  Low life attorney...he’s not doing himself any favors sending this light weight out there each night.   

Employee quits and takes a bunch of company data. Former employer sues in civil court for the return of the data and to recover damages. You can’t threaten to call the police and file a report if the former employee doesn’t agree to pay damages in the civil case. 
I can’t or my lawyer can’t?

Users who are viewing this thread