What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talk Me In/Out of Taking Jay Cutler (1 Viewer)

NeonDeion21

Footballguy
Everyone has heard it by now. QB is Deeeeeep this year. But I play in some pretty big leagues like you guys do, (big money league is an 18 teamer) and I thought about taking a combination of Cutler/Vick late in my drafts.

With Trestman wanting to open things up, what do you guys think about Cutler late in drafts?

Just was an example. Very easily could pair Cutler with Schaub/Rivers/Freeman.

Cecil seems convinced that CHI is going to explode under Trestman. Just want to know if I should think about taking a "leap of faith" with Cutler.

Passing games under Trestman have typically done very well, even with some fairly pedestrian talent at the QB position(Mitchell/Plummer).

I'm not a Cutler fan, but if there was a year to take a shot this one is probably as good as any.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cecil seems convinced that CHI is going to explode under Trestman. Just want to know if I should think about taking a "leap of faith" with Cutler.
considering the very cheap price in redraft leagues, its not a big leap... i would like to pair him with Eli/Ben if i dont get a top 12 QB, or maybe Bradford if I really feel like gambling

considering the very cheap price in redraft leagues, its not a big leap... i would like to pair him with Eli/Ben if i dont get a top 12 QB, or maybe Bradford if I really feel like gambling
That's what I am thinking. I'm in an auction redraft so it is very possible I could snag Cutler for a few bucks. Really like how CHI has improved their offensive line and added M.Bennett.

For an example:

How big is the difference between Jay Cutler vs Tony Romo/Matt Stafford/Andy Dalton?

In redraft leagues (especially mine) I know that I can get Cutler at 1/8th of the price. Certainly seems like a good value to me.

For me, whether or not Cutler is a viable QB2 option depends entirely on your scoring system. The last couple of years in my main league, where we have negative points both for sacks and interceptions, he's been borderline unrosterable. He simply doesn't throw for enough yards consistently or throw enough TD passes to offset that negative scoring. I won't go near him anymore.

However, if your league doesn't penalise for those things, i imagine he's a safe backup option, if a little too inconsistent for my tastes.

For an example:

How big is the difference between Jay Cutler vs Tony Romo/Matt Stafford/Andy Dalton?

In redraft leagues (especially mine) I know that I can get Cutler at 1/8th of the price. Certainly seems like a good value to me.
For his cost I think hes going to be steal, Marshall and Jeffery are going to be TD threats and if Forte stays healthy everyone expects him to be very involved in the passing game (where he is excellent). I also don't anticipate being the only one targeting him as a late QB in redraft, I would not be surprised to see his value increasing as we get closer to the season

Mike Martz was suppose to "fix" Cutler. I'm not sure anyone can but the move to the west coast offense should amp up the passing attempts. I'm not the biggest Marshall fan but Cutler has eyes for him. He should be considered amongst the top WR's in fantasy. Jeffery's is still a sleeper and Forte should return to a RB1 status in PPR.

Just glancing at the schedule Cutler might be 2013's Carson Palmer. Meaning he racks up fantasy points airing it out in garbage time. They face Newton- Rivers- Dalton- Big Ben- Stafford 2x- Brees- Eli- RG3- Rodgers 2x- Chip Kelly and some more respectable QB's. The schedule and coaching philosophy can't lead to running the ball and playing defense in 2013. I'd lean more to him being a bye week filler then a dependable QB2. Or draft him and flip him after august.

First of all, I'm advising you to take one of the following:Drew BreesAaron RodgersTom BradyPeyton ManningCam NewtonMatt Ryan...if you don't want any of them and insist on Cutler, you have to at least draft RG3 first. Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about acquiring Cutler HE should be your backup with potential (not starter with potential).

I like your plan, but personally I'm looking to pair Cutler with Rivers, Tannehill, or Palmer. Chicago has bolstered the O-line which I'd like to say has been the problem over the years but target scarcity has also been a huge problem. In addition to the improved line play, they also added Bennett who is a great blocker and good receiver. Jeffrey missed time with injury his rookie year, so getting him back at full health as a 2nd year WR can only be a good thing. And a third point is a new offense. Going to a new offense often requires a transition, so that's why I listed it last. But in this case, even with a transition probably holding back production a bit from what it will be in 2014, a new offense almost certainly means more passes. They ranked 27th in passing attempts last year. So even if it takes him a while to successfully grasp the new offense, I think that more passes to better receivers with better blocking is a reason to be optimistic about Cutler.

Cutler has been sacked 148 times the past 4 seasons causing him to miss 7 games over that span.

his completion percentages over past two seasons - 58%, 58.8%..

Cutler has never thrown for more than 27 Tds in any season as a pro, and the one season he did manage to get 27 TDs, he also tossed 26 INTS..

for his career he has 136 Tds to go with 100 INTS and 25 career fumbles...in short,he's a turnover machine..

and then there's Trestman...

I dont get the love for Cutler , he's nothing more than a lesser Mark Sanchez.. :shrug:

you can find a (much) better QB elsewhere..

Cutler's best years came in Shanahan's WCO, so I think Trestman is a much better fit for him than were Martz and Tice. The Bears have invested heavily in improving both his receivers and o-line. I think he'll have a good year. Of course I'm a multiple Cutler dynasty owner who has been saying that for more than a few years now, so take it with a grain (or a whole shaker) of salt. I think he's an ideal QB2 in most formats in 2013.

If you look back over Cutler's performance since becoming a Bear, you'll find his scoring week by week is remarkably stable. In 2012 in particular, his weekly scores had the lowest standard deviation of any starting QB in the league. In other words, he's mediocre, but consistently so.

When I go QBBC, I like to pair a consistent guy with a boom-or-bust guy as it allows me to play the matchups a little bit better. Vick is an obvious example, but as Sigmund said I don't think he's reliable enough to serve in that role. I'd rather go with someone like Palmer or Schaub (who, believe it or not, had the highest SD of any starter in '12).

But then again, I think you can find consistent guys with similar floors and higher upsides than Cutler at the same spot / price in your draft. Dalton, Freeman and maybe even Bradford are all guys I'd think about taking in place of Cutler as the front half of my QBBC this year. Or (my preference) spend a few bucks more on a guy like Big Ben or Eli and keep Cutler as your back half.

Cutler certainly has some upside in terms of more passing attempts and quite probably more passing yards.

My concerns with Cutler...

- He has some athleticism but will likely be around his career normal of 200-250 rushing yards. Maybe 2-3 TD tops as a bonus if Trestman calls a QB Sneak at the goal line.

- The passing yards will go up but unless he's getting 530+ attempts, I can't see him getting much higher than 3,700 yards (that'd be roughly a 7.0 YPA).

- They have a very good RB in Matt Forte so I don't see Cutler hoarding opportunities to throw for TDs inside the 10 yard line. I could see Forte stealing 4-6 TDs in the goal line area from Cutler.

- Cutler is just inconsistent. At his best he hovers around 3.0% on his INT Rate. At his worst, it goes higher to 3.5% or more. Even his 2 years under Shanahan/Bates, he threw just 45 TD to 32 INT. He gets dealt to Chicago and immediately throws 50 TD to 42 INT. He might rack up the garbage stats passing yards wise but would it be worth it if he throws a 2 or 3 INT game? I was an owner of his in 2010 and eventually traded him because he was more risk than reward (yards and TDs).

I just think there are probably safer or even more high risk/reward type QBs that you could handcuff if you are targeting a Michael Vick or somebody else.

1. Here's a list of every Chicago quarterback who ever (in a single season)threw for more than:

A. 4000 yards

Nobody. It has never happened. Ever.

B. 3750 yards

Erik Kramer (1995)

C. 3500 yards

Erik Kramer (1995)

Jay Cutler (2009)

D. 3250 yards

Erik Kramer (1995)

Jay Cutler (2009)

Jay Cutler (2010)

2. A Bears quarterback has passed for more than 23 touchdowns in a season 4 times. Two of those seasons were by Sid Luckman in the 1940s

3. A Bears quarterback has passed for more than 20 touchdowns in a season 8 times. Only four of those seasons have come since 1961.

4. A Bears quarterback has thrown for more than 3200 yards and more than 24 touchdowns in a season twice. That's 200 yards and 1.5 touchdowns per game. Kramer in 1995 and Cutler in 2009.

5. There have to be a bunch of different factors for these stats (wind, cold, snow, cow pasture field, coaching, philosophy, cruddy qb play, poor drafting of wr and qb, rb tradition, defensive tradition, etc), but the history of the forward pass in Chicago would lead me to look elsewhere for a fantasy qb because even if Jay has the best season in the history of the Bears franchise, it likely won't be enough to win your league.

6. I'm a Trestman fan, but offensive minded coaches have come to Chicago before.

candymanvandyfan said:
1. Here's a list of every Chicago quarterback who ever (in a single season)threw for more than: A. 4000 yards Nobody. It has never happened. Ever. B. 3750 yards Erik Kramer (1995) C. 3500 yards Erik Kramer (1995) Jay Cutler (2009) D. 3250 yards Erik Kramer (1995) Jay Cutler (2009)Jay Cutler (2010) 2. A Bears quarterback has passed for more than 23 touchdowns in a season 4 times. Two of those seasons were by Sid Luckman in the 1940s3. A Bears quarterback has passed for more than 20 touchdowns in a season 8 times. Only four of those seasons have come since 1961. 4. A Bears quarterback has thrown for more than 3200 yards and more than 24 touchdowns in a season twice. That's 200 yards and 1.5 touchdowns per game. Kramer in 1995 and Cutler in 2009. 5. There have to be a bunch of different factors for these stats (wind, cold, snow, cow pasture field, coaching, philosophy, cruddy qb play, poor drafting of wr and qb, rb tradition, defensive tradition, etc), but the history of the forward pass in Chicago would lead me to look elsewhere for a fantasy qb because even if Jay has the best season in the history of the Bears franchise, it likely won't be enough to win your league. 6. I'm a Trestman fan, but offensive minded coaches have come to Chicago before.
I don't think any of these facts necessarily mean much, unless you think there is something specific about the weather that holds down the passing game.

As for your last comment, what offensive minded head coaches have come to Chicago? Was Ditka an offensive minded coach? Even if so, he came to Chicago in 1982, and his time with the Bears ended more than 20 years ago. Since then, the Bears have gone with Wannstedt, Jauron, and Lovie, all defensive minded coaches.

I'm not a Cutler fan, but I think he is a legit sleeper this year.

Will be interesting to see how Cutler performs without having to scramble for his life on every play. Cutler's upside is probably top 8 qb. His floor is high though, so in an 18 team league I'd have no problem going into week 1 with Cutler as my starter.

candymanvandyfan said:
1. Here's a list of every Chicago quarterback who ever (in a single season)threw for more than:

A. 4000 yards

Nobody. It has never happened. Ever.

B. 3750 yards

Erik Kramer (1995)

C. 3500 yards

Erik Kramer (1995)

Jay Cutler (2009)

D. 3250 yards

Erik Kramer (1995)

Jay Cutler (2009)

Jay Cutler (2010)

2. A Bears quarterback has passed for more than 23 touchdowns in a season 4 times. Two of those seasons were by Sid Luckman in the 1940s

3. A Bears quarterback has passed for more than 20 touchdowns in a season 8 times. Only four of those seasons have come since 1961.

4. A Bears quarterback has thrown for more than 3200 yards and more than 24 touchdowns in a season twice. That's 200 yards and 1.5 touchdowns per game. Kramer in 1995 and Cutler in 2009.

5. There have to be a bunch of different factors for these stats (wind, cold, snow, cow pasture field, coaching, philosophy, cruddy qb play, poor drafting of wr and qb, rb tradition, defensive tradition, etc), but the history of the forward pass in Chicago would lead me to look elsewhere for a fantasy qb because even if Jay has the best season in the history of the Bears franchise, it likely won't be enough to win your league.

6. I'm a Trestman fan, but offensive minded coaches have come to Chicago before.
And...?

You think there's something in the water or air?

Considering a player's past performance is one thing. Considering a teams past performances spanning various coaching staffs and rosters is extremely poor judgment in my book.

The team is nothing more than the staff and players....and Jerry Jones if you're Dallas.

In a 12 team league Cutler has no place as a starter. At this point he's in the high-end backup tier with Flacco, Ben, Eli and Rivers.

But in an 18 team league you could do worse I suppose. I would take all the other guys I listed before him. I would probably slot Cutler in right after that at about 17, right in front f guys like Tannehill and Palmer.

Nothing to write home about, frankly. He's simply burned us too many times since going to Chicago. Trestman likely helps though. Without him, he'd be out of my top 20.

First of all, I'm advising you to take one of the following:Drew BreesAaron RodgersTom BradyPeyton ManningCam NewtonMatt Ryan...if you don't want any of them and insist on Cutler, you have to at least draft RG3 first. Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about acquiring Cutler HE should be your backup with potential (not starter with potential).
Disagree - you wouldn't have included Matt Ryan last year and you could snag him (w/a little luck in the 6th). The top guys are studs but don't offer compelling value over RGIII, Luck, Wilson, Kapernick for the price they demand. I would not draft a QB before the 5th/6th/7th rounds....that was the sweet spot last year for cost vs. production in 12 team leagues.

I dont get the love for Cutler , he's nothing more than a lesser Mark Sanchez.. :shrug:
:no: You might want to check actual stats or something before you throw out silliness like this.

Cutler's career QB rating is 84.0. Sanchez's is 71.7

In fact, Cutler has only had 1 season (his first with Bears) when his QB rating was under 80 (it was 76.8 - which would be Sanchez's 2nd highest). So 7 of Cutler's 8 seasons he had had a QBR of 80 or higher. Sanchez is 0 for 5 - never had a QBR higher than 80. In fact, has had 2 seasons under 70.

Sanchez has had 2 seasons where he had thrown more INTs than TDs. Cutler has thrown more TDs than picks in every season as a pro. In fact, Sanchez has thrown 69 INTs but only 68 TDs in his career. CUtler has a much more respectable 100 INTs and 136 TD ratio.

Cutler has thrown 20+ TDs 4 times in 8 season. Mr. Sanchez has done it but one in 5.

No, your comment about Cutler being a lesser Sanchez is not even close to true - at least not by any actual realistic measure. I would go so far as to suggest that Sanchez isn't even a lesser version of Cutler. He's not as athletic, doesn't have nearly as strong an arm (look up Y/attempt if you like) and is quite simply not nearly as talented.

I think you are on the right track. I believe if you are willing to wait that late for a QB then have about 3 or 4 in mind that you want to target around the 9th and 10th round lets say.

I feel comfortable going after Cutler, Palmer, and Bradford that late; with cutler being targeted as my starter.

Biggest problem with cutler, he throws interceptions.

In 2008 cutler had over 4500 passing yards and 25TDs in his last year in Denver with Marshall. I think that with about 15INTs is reasonable to expect this year from cutler. That would be great value in the 10th.

A few factors in his favor:

1. Cutler is in a contract year (financial incentive).

2. The Bears have upgraded his offensive line this off-season (improved his protection)

3. The Bears have brought in weapons who fit his style of play (large WRs [Jeffrey, Wilson, Harrison] and a TE [bennett] who have a huge catch radius)

4. The Bears defense is aging, not as formidable as they once were.

5. HC Trestman could be the key to relaying these factors to production on the field.

Having said all that, my best guess for Cutler next year is high-risk high-end QB2 (project to be between QB12 - QB18) depending on how quickly everything comes together for Da Bears offense.

2. The Bears have upgraded his offensive line this off-season (improved his protection)

3. The Bears have brought in weapons who fit his style of play (large WRs [Jeffrey, Wilson, Harrison] and a TE [bennett] who have a huge catch radius)

4. The Bears defense is aging, not as formidable as they once were.

5. HC Trestman could be the key to relaying these factors to production on the field.
These factors are relevant, however.

Rotoworld:

After studying Jay Cutler's 2012 game tape, ESPN's Ron Jaworski believes Cutler has "plateaued" and failed to get better "from year to year."
Jaws left the door open for Cutler to improve under new coach Marc Trestman, and still loves his willingness to "pull the trigger" versus tight man coverage. But Jaworski believes Cutler's sometimes overly aggressive mentality has made him an oft-undisciplined player prone to "reckless, undisciplined plays, bad decisions, scattershot throws." Added Jaws, "Marc Trestman will coach him hard. It is now up to Jay Cutler to accept that coaching."

This is a myth that continues to get brought up repeatedly. There is no evidence that playing in a contract year results in better (or worse) performance by players.
I thought someone at FBG's had an article on it. Regardless.....

Would you prefer to draft a player playing for a new contract in a contract year or draft a player who just got paid a huge contract? All things being equal I take the guy playing for the contract 10 times out of 10. Money is a huge motivator.

This is a myth that continues to get brought up repeatedly. There is no evidence that playing in a contract year results in better (or worse) performance by players.

Would you prefer to draft a player playing for a new contract in a contract year or draft a player who just got paid a huge contract? All things being equal I take the guy playing for the contract 10 times out of 10. Money is a huge motivator.
This has been studied in the past, and has been proven to be a non-factor. Some guys playing for new contracts excel, others bust. Some players not playing for a new contract excel, others bust. The contract year motivation is a myth.

Don't do it. Every year is supposed to be Cutlers year to outperform his draft position. Every year he sucks it up. You can grab a QB a little earlier and have a much better option as your #1 QB. I've been burned many years drafting Cutler as my #1 QB. And I don't like having to play pick-a-QB every week, and watch the guy you benched put up 30 points, and the other one puts up 12 points.

I like your plan, but personally I'm looking to pair Cutler with Rivers, Tannehill, or Palmer. Chicago has bolstered the O-line which I'd like to say has been the problem over the years but target scarcity has also been a huge problem. In addition to the improved line play, they also added Bennett who is a great blocker and good receiver. Jeffrey missed time with injury his rookie year, so getting him back at full health as a 2nd year WR can only be a good thing. And a third point is a new offense. Going to a new offense often requires a transition, so that's why I listed it last. But in this case, even with a transition probably holding back production a bit from what it will be in 2014, a new offense almost certainly means more passes. They ranked 27th in passing attempts last year. So even if it takes him a while to successfully grasp the new offense, I think that more passes to better receivers with better blocking is a reason to be optimistic about Cutler.
I still think Cutler is a great value pick, but don't listen to me. Listen to Waldman. I don't always trust his rankings at the top of the chart, but when it comes to value plays, he's pretty much the only guy I pay attention to.

Mike Martz was suppose to "fix" Cutler.
If by "fix" you mean tape him back together after getting destroyed due to Martz' lack of blocking schemes, I agree.
It didn't matter to Kurt Warner.
Ever heard of Orlando Pace?
He said Cutler was beat up because of blocking schemes, not bad linemen.
Martz is incapable of taking his head out of his ### long enough to realize he needs to adjust his scheme to the talent on the field. He's a 'genius' who believes in his own system that he needs to make it work regardless of personnel. They got rid of Olsen, refused to let Cutler play his game (big WR and playing pitch and catch). They tried to sell Hester as a legit WR. Martz wants to be the genius and show his system of timing routes and deep drops is the best. His philosophy didn't match the QB, the line, and kept them from getting the receivers that Cutler wanted. Now they got Marshal, Alshon, a good TE and improved line.

Mike Martz was suppose to "fix" Cutler.
If by "fix" you mean tape him back together after getting destroyed due to Martz' lack of blocking schemes, I agree.
It didn't matter to Kurt Warner.
Ever heard of Orlando Pace?
He said Cutler was beat up because of blocking schemes, not bad linemen.
Martz is incapable of taking his head out of his ### long enough to realize he needs to adjust his scheme to the talent on the field. He's a 'genius' who believes in his own system that he needs to make it work regardless of personnel. They got rid of Olsen, refused to let Cutler play his game (big WR and playing pitch and catch). They tried to sell Hester as a legit WR. Martz wants to be the genius and show his system of timing routes and deep drops is the best. His philosophy didn't match the QB, the line, and kept them from getting the receivers that Cutler wanted. Now they got Marshal, Alshon, a good TE and improved line.
So... Everything is cured? I'm not sure any system works to perfection with C grade talent at QB. I agree with you about Martz, but you have to question Cutler as well. Either way you eventually play tough teams and they kick you in the nuts by exposing your flaws be it a coaching or personnel. I can rail off 20 QB I'd rather have than Cutler this year. If I was digging super deep in a 18 team league, like the OP, I'd rather have guys who are going after Cutlers current ADP like Smith, Bradford, Schaub, Freeman, Vick/Foles, and maybe Kolb/Manuel. Or reach a little higher for Flacco, Big Ben or Dalton. There is no need to hope everything falls in the right place for Cutler this year with so many superior options availible.

I refered to fantasy pros composite adp rankings. http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/adp/qb.php

This has been studied in the past, and has been proven to be a non-factor. Some guys playing for new contracts excel, others bust. Some players not playing for a new contract excel, others bust. The contract year motivation is a myth.
You keep saying this as if you have some sort of proof, but you don't bother to provide that proof.

Link?

I'm skeptical. I think you're exaggerating. I would bet that $ motivation has a small positive effect on NFL players' performance during contract years.

And your generic "some excel, some bust" statement =/= proof

Rotoworld:

Bears GM Phil Emery stated Wednesday that the team will not be signing any players to extensions during the 2013 season.
This applies particularly to contract-year QB Jay Cutler and franchise player DT Henry Melton. Cutler, as he's publicly said he wants to do, will "bet on himself" and go the Joe Flacco route, hoping a big season in Marc Trestman's offense leads to a big 2014 extension. Trestman is proven as an outstanding QB manager and manipulator. We believe Cutler is making a smart bet.

Related: Henry Melton

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

You keep saying this as if you have some sort of proof, but you don't bother to provide that proof.

Link?

I'm skeptical. I think you're exaggerating. I would bet that $ motivation has a small positive effect on NFL players' performance during contract years.

And your generic "some excel, some bust" statement =/= proof
I have seen a study on this. It's been a long time, and I can't find a link. I think it was a Doug Drinen study, so maybe someone else can link it...?

Regardless, let's flip the challenge. Do you have proof that playing in a contract year is a plus? If not, you are merely speculating if you believe it will be a positive.

Rotoworld:

Bears GM Phil Emery described Jay Cutler as "fully dialed in" during Chicago's offseason program.
"No one worked harder during the strength and conditioning aspect of our offseason," said Emery, who also noticed changes in Cutler's leadership. "I see him involve himself more with all of our players — our younger players, taking players to the side. ... So I see a guy that’s very committed to improving his individual skills and to interact with the players on the team and to provide leadership." Cutler is a sneaky upside QB2 in his contract year.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

Rotoworld:

Bears coach Marc Trestman is impressed with Jay Cutler's grasp of his offense through the first week of camp.
"I think he's doing an excellent job," Trestman said. "I think he's practicing very efficiently. He's throwing the ball away and there's nothing wrong with that with the defense that we have. He's checking it down a lot during the practices, all of us have seen that, finishing his progressions." The references to "checking down" are an indication that Cutler is getting serious about not forcing so many balls into tight coverage. The Bears offense is a bit of an unknown, but Cutler is shaping up as a high-end QB2.

Source: ESPN Chicago

I feel like we hear every year that Cutler might be a sneaky fantasy play who you can draft late at QB. Maybe there's a slight improvement in his stats because of the offense, but I woulnd't want to go into the season having to rely on this guy in any way. As a high end back up or insurance for your starter, but as a weekly starter, I think it's too risky. Like I said earlier, his value is entirely dependent on your league's scoring system, moreso than many other QBs. Last year in my 16 team league he was barely rosterable at some points in the season.

Users who are viewing this thread