What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Talk to me about North Carolina (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
I got a job offer to live in Chapel Hill and work at UNC as a librarian. How is the cost of living in NC?

Overall fairly low. The Triangle is one of the most if not the most expensive areas though. You would have lots of different types of places to consider living in. Have you looked at any different areas?

🤣 I thought he meant what cities have offered me work. I thought about Apex, Holly Springs or Durham.
I know Holly Springs and Durham pretty well. I like both, but they are very different. Downtown Durham is a great Urban area. Close to town a small place goes for over 500k. Holly Springs is a nice suburb. I would think you could find something pretty nice for 300k. I have never made the drive, but I would think that commute would be rough.

i live in holly springs.  love this area.  but chapel hill is quite a bit away.  i know people that live in hillsborough for CH work.

This.  Chapel Hill can be expensive but if you are willing to drive 20 minutes you can get a nice house for a good price.  They are building constantly in the area.
I am looking more to rent an apartment  than buy a house rn

I am looking more to rent an apartment  than buy a house rn
I actually worked with a guy for over a decade that now works in NC State library but not as a librarian.  

Are you employed by the school?  They might have special housing deals for employees.  

My wife and I just closed on a home in Clayton. We'll be there full time around mid-March. Very much looking forward to it - coming from upstate NY, I'm happy about the minimal snow and reasonable taxes. I'm surprised at how much further your money goes - we're essentially getting twice the house for less money than we are paying now. Funny - the couple across the street are from NY, and the wife and I even went to the same high school (her about 15 years after me). Small world. 

My wife and I just closed on a home in Clayton. We'll be there full time around mid-March. Very much looking forward to it - coming from upstate NY, I'm happy about the minimal snow and reasonable taxes. I'm surprised at how much further your money goes - we're essentially getting twice the house for less money than we are paying now. Funny - the couple across the street are from NY, and the wife and I even went to the same high school (her about 15 years after me). Small world. 
this is all NYers and NE with upper mid west.  it’s all about housing prices.  oh, the taxes too.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
I actually worked with a guy for over a decade that now works in NC State library but not as a librarian.  

Are you employed by the school?  They might have special housing deals for employees.  
If I’m hired yes I would be employed by the school. 

admited to the union in 1789 north carolina was the 12th state and one of the original 13 colonies its state flower is the dogwood and it is named in honor of king charles and it is the home of duke university which is like a cancer upon the earth take that to the bank bromigos 

wazoo11 said:
I am more of a hockey fan than basketball but it’s not a deal breaker 

I like going to museums and concerts 
You'll enjoy the Canes being there then. All the other pro teams are in Charlotte. 

wazoo11 said:
Where do you guys go shopping for groceries?  How easy is finding a doctor?
It’s North Carolina not the Sudan. There’s normal stuff all around. Charlotte’s a bit more centralized, but the Raleigh/Durham area is one of the larger metropolitan areas in the country. It’s not NYC or Boston or Chicago, but all the basics are well covered.

wazoo11 said:
It’s North Carolina not the Sudan. There’s normal stuff all around. Charlotte’s a bit more centralized, but the Raleigh/Durham area is one of the larger metropolitan areas in the country. It’s not NYC or Boston or Chicago, but all the basics are well covered.
sudan has more pyramids than egypt and that my friend is one to grow on take that to the bank brohans 

Yep, #31 CSA population in the country.

wazoo11 said:
supermarket

this is an extremely well educated area, due to the big 3 schools.  medical here is really 2nd to none IMO and easily accessible.  

this is a big city feel, with a small town attitude.  still has a way to go for diversity and culture, but it’s come along way in the last 10-15 years.  you get the canes, hideous college basketball, minor league baseball (cary has usa baseball home) and a 2 hour train ride to the hornets, panthers and nascar.  lots of bbq too.

you dont even know that i doubt you have personally searched for pyramids take that to the bank bromigos 
You got me. I am making an educated guess as I’ve been to the major areas in NC and never seen a pyramid or a Sphinx. I have seen the world’s largest piece of furniture though, take that to the bank bromigo.

Also, interestingly enough, some lady in NC spotted pyramids in Egypt so my friend take that to the bank as well and grown on it bromigo.

Last edited by a moderator:
We’re counting down the days until we cut the ribbon on our new Chapel Hill location, set to open on February 24th, 2021! Our third Wegmans store in North Carolina, the supermarket will be located between US Interstate 40 and Highway 15-501 in Orange County. The 99,000 sq. ft. store will include a delicious array of food options including a Restaurant foods section, sushi bar, fresh produce and seafood and so much more for customers to enjoy while experiencing the great Wegmans service they know and love.

We’re counting down the days until we cut the ribbon on our new Chapel Hill location, set to open on February 24th, 2021! Our third Wegmans store in North Carolina, the supermarket will be located between US Interstate 40 and Highway 15-501 in Orange County. The 99,000 sq. ft. store will include a delicious array of food options including a Restaurant foods section, sushi bar, fresh produce and seafood and so much more for customers to enjoy while experiencing the great Wegmans service they know and love.
Wegmans is a great store 

Drunken Cowboy said:
I know Holly Springs and Durham pretty well. I like both, but they are very different. Downtown Durham is a great Urban area. Close to town a small place goes for over 500k. Holly Springs is a nice suburb. I would think you could find something pretty nice for 300k. I have never made the drive, but I would think that commute would be rough.
Holly Springs to Chapel Hill is easily 45 minutes without traffic.  There's a great back road in the Jordan Lake area that goes right into Chapel Hill which is great for gamedays.  No idea what it would be like for work every day.

When is the Holly Springs Wegmans scheduled to open?

dont be silly a pyramid is in fact a giant bank do you even know how much rich stuff they have in those things jeez take that to the bank brohan
I stand corrected. The bank is inside the pyramid. Find the pyramid, and then you can take that to the bank. But you can't take that to the bank without finding the pyramid. 

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
That's a big store.  

wazoo11 said:
Between Duke and UNC you probably are going to get better medical options than anywhere in the country sans a few exceptions.

Been in Cary/Apex area since 1994.  Love the area compared to my relo from Philly/DE area.  Moved to NC in 1991.

Cost is much lower compared to Boston area, but relatively the same to Delaware.  

If you will be working in Chapel Hill area, there is a growing area near Pittsboro where things are developing (if you plan to buy, this is where I suggest).

I really like Holly Springs & Apex area too.  There are plenty of medical providers all over the area.  

The commute up the 540 Toll Road is easy, but the congestion on 40 can be rough.

Wegman's Cary is 2 miles up the road from me (Davis Drive), but I pass 4 other grocery stores before I get there. 

Grocery Shopping:  Within 3 miles of my house, 4 Harris Teeter, 1 Lowes Food, 1 Publix, 2 Food Lion, 1 Asian Market, 1 Aldi, 1 Lidl and 1 Wegmans and 1 Costco. 

Talk to me about North Carolina

I got a job offer to live in Chapel Hill and work at UNC as a librarian. How is the cost of living in NC?

Interests: History
Just caught a PBS story on the founding of the Carolinas and the Barbados connection. 

Interesting to say the least. 

🎥Teaser clip of the documentary I saw last night:  👉 BEYOND BARBDOS: The Carolina Connection 👈

England made an offer to gave away 100 acres to any man, adding 50 additional acres if he brought his family and children. 

The thing that caught my attention was England offered an extra 100 acres for every slave brought to work the land.

Its an interesting story and one a historian may already know.

The Connection

Holly Springs to Chapel Hill is easily 45 minutes without traffic.  There's a great back road in the Jordan Lake area that goes right into Chapel Hill which is great for gamedays.  No idea what it would be like for work every day.

When is the Holly Springs Wegmans scheduled to open?
i heard end of 2021 i think.

Users who are viewing this thread