What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thrillist Chooses - Best Craft Brewery In Every State (1 Viewer)

Guys article seems to focus on the value of the IPA's to determine the favorites. I'd like to see a bit more features like this focus on other types and a breweries capability to do multiple types well. World is just a bit too hoppy right now.

I was at a brewery last night in LaGrange Ga - Beacon - and had a good orange-chocolate stout. They also had a Thai chili Porter - not the best but I like stepping out of the comfort zone a bit these days.
I think you are correct with the IPA comment, SKA for Colorado is a terrible choice IMO. Modus is a great IPA, but that's about all they've got to offer. He also seemed to focus on breweries that are more marketing than actual good beer (Once again, Ska.) But with over 6,000 breweries in America now, hard for some magazine guy to know more than the popular stuff like IPA's (which are so over-saturated and played out now.)

Oregon and California have great beer and so do a lot of other states, but the Great American Beer Festival is in Colorado for a reason. :banned:

I visit the SW corner of Michigan a few times a year and there's probably 5-10 breweries I hit on that side, all with their own charm and good beer.  
Have always liked Greenbush. Decent enough beer, great space and fantastic food. They've basically taken over Sawyer. 

With PA they seemed to dig deeper.  They quickly bypassed Victory and Troegs and chose Brew Gentlemen, which I've only visited once but thought it was great.  They also gave a shout out to Tired Hands which is fantastic.  It is a short walk from my house and is relatively new compared to some of the other choices.  

With PA they seemed to dig deeper.  They quickly bypassed Victory and Troegs and chose Brew Gentlemen, which I've only visited once but thought it was great.  They also gave a shout out to Tired Hands which is fantastic.  It is a short walk from my house and is relatively new compared to some of the other choices.  
How about Dancing Gnome in Pittsburgh?

Sculpin is a shell of its former self.
I think that way about a few beers, including Sculpin. I think that the IPA competition and the increasing need to out-hop each other has ruined my taste buds for 'normal' IPA. I also find that lagers and Belgian Ale are often too sweet. Stupid hops. 

Can you elaborate? Why you think this and why you think it's happened? I know the answer is always "sold out" but can you unpack a lot more?
The recipe has changed.  Small batch craft brew changes when it starts getting mass produced.   One of my friends has been operating a craft beer store for more than 10 years in San Diego and he's been quite vocal about this and he knows the scene fairly well.  

Yeah California >>>> Oregon. 

No offense, @Joe Bryant and @General Malaise but, like it's weather, CA > OR for craft beer. 
None taken, but that's a pretty silly statement.  I mean, part of a great beer is having access to great water, which Oregon has in spades.  In fact, Californians pay dearly for Oregon's water, but I digress.  The other thing I'd point to is the access to the best hops.  They grow here, and Washington/Idaho.  Fresher is better, GB.  

And while I can appreciate the fact that California might have warmer weather, that's not necessarily better or have you not seen the news about the fires?  Rain can be a very good thing.

The recipe has changed.  Small batch craft brew changes when it starts getting mass produced.   One of my friends has been operating a craft beer store for more than 10 years in San Diego and he's been quite vocal about this and he knows the scene fairly well.  
Thanks. I've had the Sculpin at the Ballast Point tap room a few years ago and maybe had it a few times since in cans. But I'm no expert by any stretch. 

Outside of Block 15, what are your other Portland spots? 

I'm a little surprised by the dislike for Founders but I can't complain about it.  some of the best beers around, and if you ever get the chance to hit the main brewery in Grand Rapids, do it.  Its the best of any of these places I've been to (and I've been to many), with outdoor seating around fires in the winter.  and in GR, you can't walk more than 20 yards before hitting another brewery/bar/pub.  I get that Founders is big now and so its not cool to think they're the best, but they can compete with anyone.

personally I've never been in a brewery I didn't like.  will be at Draught Horse Brewery for happy hour today.  also, Witch's Hat Brewing is a place I hit every couple of months.  there are just so many around here that I forget, Ascension Brewing in Novi has good beer and some tasty street tacos.  I visit the SW corner of Michigan a few times a year and there's probably 5-10 breweries I hit on that side, all with their own charm and good beer.  
Yeah, Michigan has some awesome beers.  I'd put them right behind Oregon, but I'm biased.  I got there every year and enjoy the variety and volume of terrific craft brews.  They sell Founders All Day IPA here in Oregon $15.99 for 15 pack of cans, out-pricing the in-state beers.  Give me that beer at that price all day long (boooooooooooooooo).

Also, really enjoy the Frankenmuth Traditional Pilsner.  :thumbup:

Thanks. I've had the Sculpin at the Ballast Point tap room a few years ago and maybe had it a few times since in cans. But I'm no expert by any stretch. 

Outside of Block 15, what are your other Portland spots? 
Tops for Hops:

• Breakside
  • Block 15
  • Barley Browns
  • Great Notion - specialize in hazy
  • pFriem - but they also make everything great.  Belgian's, sours, etc.
Others:

• Cascade - fantastic sours
  • Occidental - german beers 
  • Ex Novo - do everything fairly well
  • Upright - saisons

Washington is a huge miss.   There are beers from 10 different local breweries better than Fremont on tap at the market at the end of my street.  

7 Seas, Wet Coast, Boundary Bay, Bale Breaker, Rainy Daze...all put out consistently better beers than Fremont.

None taken, but that's a pretty silly statement.  I mean, part of a great beer is having access to great water, which Oregon has in spades.  In fact, Californians pay dearly for Oregon's water, but I digress.  The other thing I'd point to is the access to the best hops.  They grow here, and Washington/Idaho.  Fresher is better, GB.  

And while I can appreciate the fact that California might have warmer weather, that's not necessarily better or have you not seen the news about the fires?  Rain can be a very good thing.
BUT YOU STILL CAN'T PUMP YOUR OWN GAS UNLESS IT'S AT GOOBER'S FILLIN STATION, LOSERS.

Have always liked Greenbush. Decent enough beer, great space and fantastic food. They've basically taken over Sawyer. 
that's one of them I really like, probably the first one I found.  at one time I wanted to open a similar joint on the SE side and Greenbush was going to be my template with the good food, outdoor games, and great beer.  I hit Watermark last time I was over there and really enjoyed the vibe there.  also, North Pier Brewing, Silver Harbor Brewing and Tapistry are all good too.

the wife and I looking at buying a vacation house near Sawyer because we enjoy that area so much

I should probably reserve my opinion until I actually do some serious beer tasting in Oregon like I have in Cali. 

Please give me one beer that another brewery in the city doesn't do better? Their beers are ok but there isn't one beer they put out that I would ever choose over a MadTree, 50 West or even Listermann beer. 

Their standard offerings just don't stack up. There's a reason their Year Round selection only has one constant (Truth). They are constantly changing that list because they just aren't very good.

They do put out Bubbles (Rosé Ale) that my wife and her friends really like, so I guess there's that. 
Truth is the best IPA in the city.  Panther is a great Porter, I can't think of a better one in the city.
Strongly disagree.

I can think of two Porters off the top of my head that are better. Listermann's Nutcase and MadTree's Identity Crisis. And it's not close. 

that's one of them I really like, probably the first one I found.  at one time I wanted to open a similar joint on the SE side and Greenbush was going to be my template with the good food, outdoor games, and great beer.  I hit Watermark last time I was over there and really enjoyed the vibe there.  also, North Pier Brewing, Silver Harbor Brewing and Tapistry are all good too.

the wife and I looking at buying a vacation house near Sawyer because we enjoy that area so much
Have hit Silver Harbor and Tapistry also. Wouldn't suggest that anyone went out of the way for either of them, but worth a stop if its along your route. 

Watermark is on my shortlist for the next time me and Mrs Epic go tour the area.  

Founders and Bells are neck and neck for me if we talking overall. They just do so many styles well, have deep lineups, are easy to get and have a wide presence. However, Old Nation and HOMES are probably the two breweries in Michigan making the highest quality beers right now but their distribution is a lot smaller and it is all focused on IPAs and sours. 

CA and OR both have a ton of awesome breweries.  As Zow and others have said, SN deserves a ton of respect for what they have done for craft beer.  True pioneers, but no longer in my top 10 in CA.  

Granted I like New Glarus but it sounds like they didn't even consider newer upstarts like Untitled Art, Badger State, or Stillmank. Or even sometimes better brewers like O'so, Titletown, or Hinterland. And my favorite local brewer in Lion's Tail. Only place I've ever been to and said their beer sucks was Leather Heads in Green Bay and within a year they were closed, because the beer sucked.
Untitled Art stuff that I’ve had has been great 

However, Old Nation and HOMES are probably the two breweries in Michigan making the highest quality beers right now but their distribution is a lot smaller and it is all focused on IPAs and sours. 
Old Nation is out past where I live but I've hit it a few times.  you can't find a more popular beer around here than M-43 but I'm not a fan.  not enough hops and a little fruity for my taste.  I took a group of people out there over the summer and they were all fans of the M-43.  by the time we left, everyone of them like the Greenstone APA better.  I think they only sell the M43 in stores

Tops for Hops:

• Breakside
  • Block 15
  • Barley Browns
  • Great Notion - specialize in hazy
  • pFriem - but they also make everything great.  Belgian's, sours, etc.
Others:

• Cascade - fantastic sours
  • Occidental - german beers 
  • Ex Novo - do everything fairly well
  • Upright - saisons
Thanks. I love that town.

Had a great time at Roadside Attraction last time I was there. And Breakside with @General Malaise was awesome. 

I will say Burial in NC is my favorite brewery in Asheville which pretty much means it's my favorite in North Carolina. 
I know Wicked Weed won't be picked for a list like this since they sold to InBev, but man they still crank out some good stuff.  

Old Nation is out past where I live but I've hit it a few times.  you can't find a more popular beer around here than M-43 but I'm not a fan.  not enough hops and a little fruity for my taste.  I took a group of people out there over the summer and they were all fans of the M-43.  by the time we left, everyone of them like the Greenstone APA better.  I think they only sell the M43 in stores
I like all of the IPAs I have had from them. M43 has just gone crazy in Michigan. In 2 years it pretty much took over the State and became the beer in Michigan. M43, Boss Tweed and Cart Horse are in the stores pretty regularly. I have seen Greenstone as well. That whole series is excellent IMO. 

I love Dirt Wolf.

Strongly disagree.

I can think of two Porters off the top of my head that are better. Listermann's Nutcase and MadTree's Identity Crisis. And it's not close. 
Identity Crisis is basically a black IPA.  Not much of a Porter, really.  Never had Nutcase.   

They literally picked one of the worst ones in Louisiana: Bayou Teche.  I'm a beer nerd and have a bunch of beer nerd friends and I can name 5 breweries in New Orleans alone that are better.

Bayou Teche might crack the top 10 in the state...but it's not a good brewery.

Ohio - never heard of Jackie O's  - I will have to check them out but I would be surprised to learn that they are  a better brewery than Madtree, Great Lakes, Brew Kettle or FatHead's - I figured the Ohio winner would have had to have been one of those four.
I have never heard of Jackie O's, but I have never been in the Athens area either.  Maybe it's great, but when I read this in the write up... 

Wood Ya Honey wheat wine-style beer ale in bourbon barrels
...I was like WTF???  This does not sound like a winner to me.  

Not all analogies are good ones.  This is a great one.  :thumbup:

pFriem is a great choice.  Their beers are terrific (minus the sour, but I just don't care for those in general).  We were in Hood River on Labor Day and wanted to hit pFriem for lunch.  Table of 8 was a 2 hour wait.  :lmao:

We went here instead.   Probably the best view in the country for lunch.
day after Labor Day was the shark move, but the meal was a big disappointment anyway.

Have you tried Transient? I live in SW Mich and they make the best beer in the area IMO.

IMO they got Michigan right when they said it comes down to Founder's and Bell's, but then they picked the wrong one. Bell's is excellent. Oarsman is easily my most purchased beer, and they make lots of other great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread