What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thrillist Chooses - Best Craft Brewery In Every State (2 Viewers)

Love two-hearted.  It's my go-to for steady day drinking - especially on the golf course after a flask of whisky.  Right there with DFH 90 minute, Surly Furious, and Pliny the Elder as near perfect IPAs for me. 
Come to Portland.  I have something to show you.  It's called Sticky Hands.

Love two-hearted.  It's my go-to for steady day drinking - especially on the golf course after a flask of whisky.  Right there with DFH 90 minute, Surly Furious, and Pliny the Elder as near perfect IPAs for me. 
Come to Portland.  I have something to show you.  It's called Sticky Hands.
look brohan whatever you do in your spare time is up to you and no judgment here but there is no reason to make this beer thread all gross take that to the bank 

Here are some quick takes: 

Arizona - AZ Wilderness isn't a bad choice as it's a nice place to hangout but I genuinely don't think their beer is the best.  For years the gold standard for a craft brew pub was Four Peaks until they "sold out" to InBev (the Four Peaks guy did craft beer sooner and better than everybody so I think it's unfair to blast him for cashing in his well-earned ticket for millions). I think they still are but don't qualify for this list.  As such, I'd turn to possibly Gold Canyon out of Williams or Mudshark out of LHC. 

Minnesota - Breweries are really taking off here and I just had some amazing stuff from the St. Cloud area.  That said, Surly is still the best. 

Michigan - Founders is good stuff but Bell's has been doing it better for longer.  Two-Hearted and Oberon are both so so solid choices. 

Nevada - Some sneaky good stuff popping up here. Can't argue with their choice but can think of six others equally as good. 

Wyoming - Really happy to see Melvin on here.  I'm biased because I know the head brewer.  

Colorado - Ska isn't a bad choice but I'd have gone with Oskar Blues. 

California - Yeah, Sierra Nevada has been innovative and original and it probably deserves it as a lifetime achievement award from the state that has dozens of amazing breweries.  But, man, Stone and Russian River have better beers. 

The no-brainers: Indiana (3 Floyds), Wisconsin (New Glarus even if just for Spotted Cow),  Hawaii (Maui), and Delaware (DFH) as they are the clear choices from these states.  

like i said i get it some people totally love it and it is huge here but i like ipas best of all and then miller lite so for me it just does not trip my tallywacker but everyone has their own thing that they like and i like that because accepting other peoples likes is the way of the brohan take that to the bank bromigo
That's not me. I have an aversion to bitter. Very much anti ipa. 

like i said i get it some people totally love it and it is huge here but i like ipas best of all and then miller lite so for me it just does not trip my tallywacker but everyone has their own thing that they like and i like that because accepting other peoples likes is the way of the brohan take that to the bank bromigo
That's like saying, "I really prefer filet mignon and then a McDonald's hamburger." 

:goodposting:

I think Ohio is between Fat Head's and Jackie O's.  I'm not going to dismiss someone else saying this list was lazy because maybe other regions are, but I think they nailed these 3.
Have you been to any brew pubs in Indianapolis? There’s some pretty good ones.

Not a Rhinegeist fan? I thought they were loved locally?
I'm a sample of one, but #1 I haven't had anything of there's that's anything better than average #2 whenever we host it's never brought here (and in turn, left here) and #3 I can't think of many occasions in which it's been an option when we've attended something elsewhere.  That said, I am Cleveland and it's a Cincy brew, so perhaps that's not the case on the other side of the state.

Guys article seems to focus on the value of the IPA's to determine the favorites. I'd like to see a bit more features like this focus on other types and a breweries capability to do multiple types well. World is just a bit too hoppy right now.

I was at a brewery last night in LaGrange Ga - Beacon - and had a good orange-chocolate stout. They also had a Thai chili Porter - not the best but I like stepping out of the comfort zone a bit these days.

The church bar - St Joe's?  Thoroughly impressed with all, but nothing like the dust.
Zombie Dust of today pales in comparison to the Zombie Dust of yesteryear. 

Not sure if they fudged with the recipe, changing tastes / palate, or it being more readily available around here, but something ain't right and I know I'm not alone in this mindset. 

I'm about to get a public hanging - 2 hearts and oberon aren't any good.
And rightfully so. I can see the Oberon opinion, but 2 hearted? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Zombie Dust of today pales in comparison to the Zombie Dust of yesteryear. 

Not sure if they fudged with the recipe, changing tastes / palate, or it being more readily available around here, but something ain't right and I know I'm not alone in this mindset. 
Oh they better not have ####ed that thing up.  There's a place a block from my office that gets a case of it once in a while.  I'm on their email list, so when the notification pops through I drop what I'm doing and go get one.  It's just one because the owner will only allow you to buy one.  I haven't been around for the last few shipments though.

And rightfully so. I can see the Oberon opinion, but 2 hearted? 
I've come to accept that I'm the only one.  I've tried both probably once per year for the last decade.  They're both drinkable.  But I'd never go out of my way to get one.  And everyone else swears by them.  It and Founders are the two sold around here and I always buy something of the latter - usually breakfast stout or dirty *******.  They're some good ones that aren't distributed around here, but I never remember what they are - my brother recently started giving me a sample bag of what he has lying around for christmas each year.  Need to start taking mental notes though.

Oh they better not have ####ed that thing up.  There's a place a block from my office that gets a case of it once in a while.  I'm on their email list, so when the notification pops through I drop what I'm doing and go get one.  It's just one because the owner will only allow you to buy one.  I haven't been around for the last few shipments though.
And I'll be honest, I've worked my way into the hazy craze, NEIPAs which has engulfed the Chicago Beer Market and they certainly hit the palate differently. So I could get the 'its just me' take. However, I had a friend in town from Kentucky over the holiday weekend. He walked in with a 6 of Zombie Dust, which he always tries to get his hands on when he's in town. About 1/2 way through his first one, unprovoked, he was questioning what was going on.  Number one beer snob friend voiced the same concerns during the spring. 

Another issue could be with the availability being much more common, its sitting on shelves longer. With PAs, shelf life matters. 

I have a 12 of the Cow in the beer fridge right now. LOVE that stuff. Oh, I'm in Missouri so getting Spotted Cow is a bit of a chore. 
I live in Kansas, but visit family every year in Wisconsin. I bring back some Spotted Cow every visit. Good brew.

Been to Free State Brewery in Lawrence KS several times. Good beers. I personally like the Copperhead Pale Ale the best.

I never really like these "best in each state" lists. It's like saying the college football playoffs can only have one team from a conference. 

Oftentimes, things excel close together. In this case, the SEC is Oregon which could have a ton a list of top 50 breweries in the country. But I digress. 

Here's Thrillist's take on the best Craft Brewery from each state. https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-craft-brewery-in-every-state-in-america

What do you say? 
Not all analogies are good ones.  This is a great one.  :thumbup:

pFriem is a great choice.  Their beers are terrific (minus the sour, but I just don't care for those in general).  We were in Hood River on Labor Day and wanted to hit pFriem for lunch.  Table of 8 was a 2 hour wait.  :lmao:

We went here instead.   Probably the best view in the country for lunch.

They are.  And that's why I wouldn't have been surprised to see them chosen.

But they aren't close to the best in Ohio, or even Top 5 in the city of Cincinnati.  Truth IPA is a good beer, but beyond that, every beer they do MadTree does 10x better.

For me, Rhinegeist is a marketing company that sells craft beer.  They are phenomenal at what they do.
Can't agree with this at all. MadTree might be better (Rubus is the best beer made in the city) but it's close.  Fan of Great Lakes too.  Never had Fat Head or the one that made the list.

Nailed in for MN.  Surley is a great IPA for pond hockey when it's 10 and the sun is shining.  And also, completely different, I recommend Excelsior Big Island Blond, when it's 90 but feels like a perfect 80, blue skies, sailing Minnetonka.

Best one on here is Hill Farmstead - Vermont.  My local Brooklyn bar always has one of their kegs on tap.  They brew some delicious beer. 

They are.  And that's why I wouldn't have been surprised to see them chosen.

But they aren't close to the best in Ohio, or even Top 5 in the city of Cincinnati.  Truth IPA is a good beer, but beyond that, every beer they do MadTree does 10x better.

For me, Rhinegeist is a marketing company that sells craft beer.  They are phenomenal at what they do.
Can't agree with this at all. MadTree might be better (Rubus is the best beer made in the city) but it's close.  Fan of Great Lakes too.  Never had Fat Head or the one that made the list.
Please give me one beer that another brewery in the city doesn't do better? Their beers are ok but there isn't one beer they put out that I would ever choose over a MadTree, 50 West or even Listermann beer. 

Their standard offerings just don't stack up. There's a reason their Year Round selection only has one constant (Truth). They are constantly changing that list because they just aren't very good.

They do put out Bubbles (Rosé Ale) that my wife and her friends really like, so I guess there's that. 

How in the world does Sierra Nevada beat out Stone and Ballast Point?

Ballast Point should beat Sierra Nevada if the only beer they offered was Sculpin. 

Ballast Point should beat Sierra Nevada if the only beer they offered was Sculpin. 
I don’t know how they defined a craft brewery, but Ballast is owned by Constellation (which owns Corona and Negro Modelo), which pulls it out of most traditional definitions of a craft brewery.

Sierra Nevada is not CA's best brewer.  That would probably be Russian River Brewing Co.  Pliny the Elder has been the best IPA how many times the past 10 years?  I agree that SN could win a lifetime achievement award, but not best in the state. 

I'd put Lagunitas in front of SN.  Henhouse, while not the best, is better than SN. Stone, Moonraker, Fieldworks, Temescal, Ballast Point, Modern Times, Pizza Port, Alvarado Street, Cellarmaker, Brouwerij West, ...  All are better.

And just like in the senatorial arena, CA needs more representation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know how they defined a craft brewery, but Ballast is owned by Constellation (which owns Corona and Negro Modelo), which pulls it out of most traditional definitions of a craft brewery.
Hmmm, good point.  Maybe that's why Lagunitas was taken out of the running.

I live in Kansas, but visit family every year in Wisconsin. I bring back some Spotted Cow every visit. Good brew.
I have a coworker and my videographer are both from WI, and our company has training up there, so we have someone going pretty much every month. I could drink Spotted Cow all year long if I wanted. It's fantastic! That being said, I don't drink that much anymore. I've got about 8 beers from my last 12 pack of SC that I picked up on July. 

Angry Chair was a great choice. They're known for their big imperial stouts and dessert beers. 

A couple weeks ago, I was at a beer festival in South Florida hosted by Civil Society( another up and coming brewery with juicy hazy citrus NEIPA and stouts) and the line for the Angry Chair booth was the longest. It waa so long i didn't bother and sampled some from the other 60+ breweries there. Angry Chair was among the first to run out.

Please give me one beer that another brewery in the city doesn't do better? Their beers are ok but there isn't one beer they put out that I would ever choose over a MadTree, 50 West or even Listermann beer. 

Their standard offerings just don't stack up. There's a reason their Year Round selection only has one constant (Truth). They are constantly changing that list because they just aren't very good.

They do put out Bubbles (Rosé Ale) that my wife and her friends really like, so I guess there's that. 
Truth is the best IPA in the city.  Panther is a great Porter, I can't think of a better one in the city.  

Sierra Nevada is not CA's best brewer.  That would probably be Russian River Brewing Co.  Pliny the Elder has been the best IPA how many times the past 10 years?  I agree that SN could win a lifetime achievement award, but not best in the state. 

I'd put Lagunitas in front of SN.  Henhouse, while not the best, is better than SN. Stone, Moonraker, Fieldworks, Temescal, Ballast Point, Modern Times, Pizza Port, Alvarado Street, Cellarmaker, Brouwerij West, ...  All are better.

And just like in the senatorial arena, CA needs more representation.
Yeah California >>>> Oregon. 

No offense, @Joe Bryant and @General Malaise but, like it's weather, CA > OR for craft beer. 

As I indicated I viewed the SN nomination as a lifetime achievement award. 

But good call on Ballast Point.  It's up there with Stone and Russian River. 

California - Yeah, Sierra Nevada has been innovative and original and it probably deserves it as a lifetime achievement award from the state that has dozens of amazing breweries.  But, man, Stone and Russian River have better beers. 
Agreed.  

But there are 4 or 5 regional breweries that currently blow SN away.  

What's your top Michigan choice?  I've been to some really good ones in the Detroit area.  I like Founders, but have never been to their brewery.  Thought Griffin Claw was quite good.  
I'm a little surprised by the dislike for Founders but I can't complain about it.  some of the best beers around, and if you ever get the chance to hit the main brewery in Grand Rapids, do it.  Its the best of any of these places I've been to (and I've been to many), with outdoor seating around fires in the winter.  and in GR, you can't walk more than 20 yards before hitting another brewery/bar/pub.  I get that Founders is big now and so its not cool to think they're the best, but they can compete with anyone.

personally I've never been in a brewery I didn't like.  will be at Draught Horse Brewery for happy hour today.  also, Witch's Hat Brewing is a place I hit every couple of months.  there are just so many around here that I forget, Ascension Brewing in Novi has good beer and some tasty street tacos.  I visit the SW corner of Michigan a few times a year and there's probably 5-10 breweries I hit on that side, all with their own charm and good beer.  

Users who are viewing this thread