What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thrillist Chooses - Best Craft Brewery In Every State (1 Viewer)

Angry Chair is solid, but what about Funky Buddha as well as some of the other Tampa Bay joints for Florida?  I don’t agree, but maybe it’s the kind of beers I drink.

Never heard of the one they picked for Texas.  Not sure how that is possible.  
I went to Jester King probably 6 or 7 years ago, another place built solely on marketing with awesome bottle art and beer names. I have to admit the brewery itself is a pretty awesome location though, which is probably why the author picked it.

As far as their beers, their flagship was a farmhouse ale that tasted like ### IMO. I remember liking their stout a lot but taking a look at the website they must not make it anymore.

Yeah, Michigan has some awesome beers.  I'd put them right behind Oregon, but I'm biased.  I got there every year and enjoy the variety and volume of terrific craft brews.  They sell Founders All Day IPA here in Oregon $15.99 for 15 pack of cans, out-pricing the in-state beers.  Give me that beer at that price all day long (boooooooooooooooo).

Also, really enjoy the Frankenmuth Traditional Pilsner.  :thumbup:
Founders Solid Gold is a good session beer too (hoppy lager)

i cant complain about Founders as the Michigan choice.  

I like all of the IPAs I have had from them. M43 has just gone crazy in Michigan. In 2 years it pretty much took over the State and became the beer in Michigan. M43, Boss Tweed and Cart Horse are in the stores pretty regularly. I have seen Greenstone as well. That whole series is excellent IMO. 
I wouldn't drive to Wisconsin for Spotted Cow, but I'd think about going to MI for M43.  That said, Founders is a solid pick - it may not have tons of home runs, but plenty of doubles and no strikeouts in that line-up. 

For Illinois, nothing wrong with the Half Acre pick.  Revolution and Pipeworks could just have easily taken that, but for breadth Half Acre is a fine call. I'd take a Hubbards Cave IPA over any Half Acre beer, but still enjoy most stuff in Half Acre arsenal.  Had Double Daisy at their brewery on Saturday.  Likey. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sierra Nevada is not CA's best brewer.  That would probably be Russian River Brewing Co.  Pliny the Elder has been the best IPA how many times the past 10 years?  I agree that SN could win a lifetime achievement award, but not best in the state. 

I'd put Lagunitas in front of SN.  Henhouse, while not the best, is better than SN. Stone, Moonraker, Fieldworks, Temescal, Ballast Point, Modern Times, Pizza Port, Alvarado Street, Cellarmaker, Brouwerij West, ...  All are better.

And just like in the senatorial arena, CA needs more representation.
Trying to narrow California down to one brewery was a losing proposition to begin with.  Honestly that's true of a lot of states which makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous but even more so in California.

That being said, Sierra Nevada was a flat out terrible choice.

Russian River would have been the safer play but as stated above there are too many to choose from.

Henhouse and Fieldwork are two of my favorites,  would have been pleasantly surprised had it been either one of them.

It's great that something like this can spark a debate but you can't pay any serious mind to a list like this.  Naming a single brewery as the best in a state is kind of dumb.  There are way too many good ones to choose from.

I never really like these "best in each state" lists. It's like saying the college football playoffs can only have one team from a conference. 

Oftentimes, things excel close together. In this case, the SEC is Oregon which could have a ton a list of top 50 breweries in the country. But I digress. 

Here's Thrillist's take on the best Craft Brewery from each state. https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-craft-brewery-in-every-state-in-america

What do you say? 
Louisiana

Bayou Teche Brewing
Arnaudville
Do you know how to reap the claim as the best brewery in Louisiana? By crafting ales and lagers strategically brewed to pair perfectly with its globally renowned fare rooted from their indigenous Creole and Cajun ancestry. Since 2009, the three Knott brothers have mastered the skills of culinary matrimony at their rustic railroad-car-turned-farmhouse brewery complete with a tap room and beer garden to fully embrace the local culture. To further realize their mission and educate consumers, Teche’s website dutifully lists which beers pair perfectly with local dining favorites; the LA 31 Bière Noire dark French Saison alongside a plate of blackened red-fish is on my wish list. (Trying more brews from Gnarley Barley Brewing in Hammond is on there, too.) -- AS
- While I do love Teche and their site, I have become a fan on Courtyard Brewery in NO - they don't mass produce. And Urban South - they do. I favor the locals what can I say.

None taken, but that's a pretty silly statement.  I mean, part of a great beer is having access to great water, which Oregon has in spades.  In fact, Californians pay dearly for Oregon's water, but I digress.  The other thing I'd point to is the access to the best hops.  They grow here, and Washington/Idaho.  Fresher is better, GB.  

And while I can appreciate the fact that California might have warmer weather, that's not necessarily better or have you not seen the news about the fires?  Rain can be a very good thing.
They both have great breweries, California probably wins on volume but I think both states are recognized as among some of the top in the country.  You could probably name at least 10 states that have a lot of good breweries though.  I find the state to state comparison, almost (but not quite as dumb) as trying to name the single best brewery in a given state.

Angry Chair is solid, but what about Funky Buddha as well as some of the other Tampa Bay joints for Florida?  I don’t agree, but maybe it’s the kind of beers I drink.
Beat me to it.  Some really great breweries in Broward/Palm Beach that didn’t get mentioned.

wifes favorite beer is the coconut wheat by J Wakefield so nice of them to get a mention.

Arizona - AZ Wilderness isn't a bad choice as it's a nice place to hangout but I genuinely don't think their beer is the best.  For years the gold standard for a craft brew pub was Four Peaks until they "sold out" to InBev (the Four Peaks guy did craft beer sooner and better than everybody so I think it's unfair to blast him for cashing in his well-earned ticket for millions). I think they still are but don't qualify for this list.  As such, I'd turn to possibly Gold Canyon out of Williams or Mudshark out of LHC. 
Some others to check out if you get a chance:

Wren House (Central Phoenix), Dark Sky (Flagstaff), Pueblo Vida and Borderlands (Tucson), Tombstone (Tombstone), 8-Bit (Avondale) and several others. Most you won’t find outside the brewery but they’re worth seeking out.

Funky Buddha is now owned by Constellation which also owns Corona 

In a press release sent out Thursday morning, Constellation Brands, Inc. announced its purchase of South Florida-based Funka Buddha Brewery, one of the largest and fastest-growing breweries in the state.

Best-known today for flavor-infused brews like Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, Last Snow coconut coffee porter and No Crusts, a peanut butter and jelly brown ale, Funky Buddha was founded in Boca Raton in 2010 as Funky Buddha Lounge & Brewery by husband and wife Ryan and Giani Sentz. The Sentz family opened Funky Buddha Brewery in Oakland Park in 2013. We named it a brewery to watch soon after.

Funky Buddha is now owned by Constellation which also owns Corona 

In a press release sent out Thursday morning, Constellation Brands, Inc. announced its purchase of South Florida-based Funka Buddha Brewery, one of the largest and fastest-growing breweries in the state.

Best-known today for flavor-infused brews like Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, Last Snow coconut coffee porter and No Crusts, a peanut butter and jelly brown ale, Funky Buddha was founded in Boca Raton in 2010 as Funky Buddha Lounge & Brewery by husband and wife Ryan and Giani Sentz. The Sentz family opened Funky Buddha Brewery in Oakland Park in 2013. We named it a brewery to watch soon after.
Bummer

I think the other knock on Funky Buddha is that they seem to always be trying to outgimmick themselves.  From Rice Krispies (Sticky Treats - not bad but predictably sweet) to apple pie (Muy Bonita -  too sweet IMO) to sweet potato casserole(Sweet Potato Casserole - no thanks) they are always trying offbeat beers. 

Don't get me wrong i love their beers. Last Buffalo in the Park is one of my favorites. MBCP is really good but i refuse to jump through hoops to obtain. Hop Gun / Hop Stimulator are solid IPA/DIPA offerings. People love Floridian.

It just seems like marketing is driving that brewery.

I think the other knock on Funky Buddha is that they seem to always be trying to outgimmick themselves.  From Rice Krispies (Sticky Treats - not bad but predictably sweet) to apple pie (Muy Bonita -  too sweet IMO) to sweet potato casserole(Sweet Potato Casserole - no thanks) they are always trying offbeat beers. 

Don't get me wrong i love their beers. Last Buffalo in the Park is one of my favorites. MBCP is really good but i refuse to jump through hoops to obtain. Hop Gun / Hop Stimulator are solid IPA/DIPA offerings. People love Floridian.

It just seems like marketing is driving that brewery.
The beers are getting ridiculous, they have crazy desert like beers at a a few places in Tampa.  Brew Bus & Hidden Springs Ale works in Tampa really jump out.  Haven't tried Angry Chair yet, I really need to.  Funky Buddah, the beer, restaurant, experience, etc.  Is better than anything in Tampa I have seen.  I was really impressed.

Sent the list to my buddy here in St Louis as he's pretty big into beers, has been brewing for a while.  Here's his take on Missouri's choice:

Cory's an excellent brewer and he still has ties to Perennial.  Side project is the cutting edge of cutting edge beers.  Cory has a heavy lean towards stouts, which is not a favorite of mine.  I therefore only find their beers interesting from an artistic perspective and tend to steer clear when purchasing.  Side project has a great tasting room and it has a very strong beer culture from a social and intellectual perspective.

one thing you dont see a lot of are apple beers but they are good so i hope that they do a best apple beer in each state list take that to the bank bromigos 

It was pretty obvious that this when this thread was aging in a barrel made from wombs, that the finished product would have hints of smoked applewood bacon, kale, and the slightest hints truffle butter and human sweat. 
Can't believe that you're not catching that note of placenta. 

Sent the list to my buddy here in St Louis as he's pretty big into beers, has been brewing for a while.  Here's his take on Missouri's choice:

Cory's an excellent brewer and he still has ties to Perennial.  Side project is the cutting edge of cutting edge beers.  Cory has a heavy lean towards stouts, which is not a favorite of mine.  I therefore only find their beers interesting from an artistic perspective and tend to steer clear when purchasing.  Side project has a great tasting room and it has a very strong beer culture from a social and intellectual perspective.
That's another big issue (fun part) of stuff like this. Lots of breweries lean toward a certain type. If you don't like New England IPA's, Bearded Iris in Nashville doesn't have much for you. I you love them, they're your favorite brewery in the state. Few people are like your friend and can separate the two. 

From what I know, which isn't a ton but I've heard of most of these breweries at least...they did a pretty good job here. They tried to mention other breweries in each state that they didn't classify as "the best" and gave their reasons for each. I'm just glad to see so many new breweries popping up all over the place, especially here in WNY. That Other Half expansion is going to be awesome. Lucky to be in a location where we have access to a lot of great breweries, whether you go on your own or acquire the beer from others who made the trip(s) - Hoof Hearted, Hill Farmstead, Other Half, Equilibrium, Trillium, Tree House, Bellwoods...the list goes on. NEIPA's and Tree House especially is all the rage - but damn those beers are delicious.

Some others to check out if you get a chance:

Wren House (Central Phoenix), Dark Sky (Flagstaff), Pueblo Vida and Borderlands (Tucson), Tombstone (Tombstone), 8-Bit (Avondale) and several others. Most you won’t find outside the brewery but they’re worth seeking out.
I’ve only ever been to dark sky and I consider myself fairly dialed in to be AZ beer scene. Thanks! 

I will say Burial in NC is my favorite brewery in Asheville which pretty much means it's my favorite in North Carolina. 
Yeah, I don't have a good grasp on breweries east of the mountains. Burial is probably my favorite place based on aesthetics, but my tastes have changed and I tend to not drink that many IPA's anymore, especially of the new "hazy" variety, of which Burial does a lot and not very well in my opinion. Also their beer names have taken a turn to the absurd, such that my friends and I joke that they must be using a random name generator.  A sampling from their current tap list: 

• Asymmetrical Anguish
  • Nostalgia of the Revenant
  • Wandering And Cosmic Consciousness
I do really like their non-IPA offerings though. Also, their location in Biltmore Village should be pretty great when it finally opens. Several old buildings from a Forestry Camp spread out over a couple of acres.

Zillacoah and Eurisko are two new places I really like. 

Trying to narrow California down to one brewery was a losing proposition to begin with.  Honestly that's true of a lot of states which makes this whole thing a bit ridiculous but even more so in California.

Russian River would have been the safer play but as stated above there are too many to choose from.

Henhouse and Fieldwork are two of my favorites,  would have been pleasantly surprised had it been either one of them.
@FatMax to the courtesy phone.

Yeah, I don't have a good grasp on breweries east of the mountains. Burial is probably my favorite place based on aesthetics, but my tastes have changed and I tend to not drink that many IPA's anymore, especially of the new "hazy" variety, of which Burial does a lot and not very well in my opinion. Also their beer names have taken a turn to the absurd, such that my friends and I joke that they must be using a random name generator.  A sampling from their current tap list: 

• Asymmetrical Anguish
I do really like their non-IPA offerings though. Also, their location in Biltmore Village should be pretty great when it finally opens. Several old buildings from a Forestry Camp spread out over a couple of acres.

That's another fun thing as stuff hits everyone differently. I love the names at Burial. They fit perfectly with the mural outside and the Artwork on the cans and the Tap Handles and just the general vibe. 

On the flipside, I hate the joke pun names many places use. I know I'm in the minority there.

Just one more differentiation point and a good reason to "do you" on beer. 

Beat me to it.  Some really great breweries in Broward/Palm Beach that didn’t get mentioned.

wifes favorite beer is the coconut wheat by J Wakefield so nice of them to get a mention.
Key West Sunset Ale from the Florida Beer Co. is great (Cape Canaveral, FL).

I think AC is a great choice. They do fantastic stouts, great sours, and their hop game has greatly improved over the last year.  I was SHOCKED they didnt pick Cigar City.

Not all analogies are good ones.  This is a great one.  :thumbup:

pFriem is a great choice.  Their beers are terrific (minus the sour, but I just don't care for those in general).  We were in Hood River on Labor Day and wanted to hit pFriem for lunch.  Table of 8 was a 2 hour wait.  :lmao:

We went here instead.   Probably the best view in the country for lunch.
I am partial to Pelican Brewing, also in Oregon, for best view I have seen from a brewery. Beer at the beach.

Yeah, that is pretty much the best mural ever.
Agreed.

I've been half a dozen times I'd say and each time I want to ask questions about it and get the story and then I always decide it's better just not knowing anything and appreciating it as it is in all its majesty. 

The beers are getting ridiculous, they have crazy desert like beers at a a few places in Tampa.  Brew Bus & Hidden Springs Ale works in Tampa really jump out.  Haven't tried Angry Chair yet, I really need to.  Funky Buddah, the beer, restaurant, experience, etc.  Is better than anything in Tampa I have seen.  I was really impressed.
Funky Buddhas taproom is really nice, but I agree with JaxBill, they have some good beers but most are pretty average and/or gimmicky to me.

Check out Coppertail in Tampa if youre looking for a great taproom with great food and good beer, especially if you like berliners. They usually have several good ones on tap.

Also, if you havent been to Arkane in Largo, youre really missing out. Best sours BY FAR in the area IMO, and their stouts and hops are pretty killer too.

I think AC is a great choice. They do fantastic stouts, great sours, and their hop game has greatly improved over the last year.  I was SHOCKED they didnt pick Cigar City.
That’s one thing I am glad about.  😃

Agreed.

I've been half a dozen times I'd say and each time I want to ask questions about it and get the story and then I always decide it's better just not knowing anything and appreciating it as it is in all its majesty. 
I always take friends from out of town there just for the mural.

day after Labor Day was the shark move, but the meal was a big disappointment anyway.
Did you get a chance to check out Ferment while you were there?  That place looks pretty awesome.  Right down the road from pFriem.  Man, I could sit there all day and watch the kite boarders/wind surfers on the river, sipping on suds, relaxing with a book.  One day, man.....one day.

They both have great breweries, California probably wins on volume but I think both states are recognized as among some of the top in the country.  You could probably name at least 10 states that have a lot of good breweries though.  I find the state to state comparison, almost (but not quite as dumb) as trying to name the single best brewery in a given state.
Yeah, but that doesn't stop mankind from naming the best rock band, guitarist, actor, etc....boredom is a terrible thing.

• Asymmetrical Anguish

That's another fun thing as stuff hits everyone differently. I love the names at Burial. They fit perfectly with the mural outside and the Artwork on the cans and the Tap Handles and just the general vibe. 

On the flipside, I hate the joke pun names many places use. I know I'm in the minority there.

Just one more differentiation point and a good reason to "do you" on beer. 
It is interesting how seasonal the beer business can be too.  Last couple of times I have been by Burial they had next to no IPAs on tap :lol:  

But, yeah, it is a very fun aesthetic to hang out at. 

I always like the old Greenman tap room around the corner there too, particularly when it is packed in for soccer matches.

General Malaise said:
Did you get a chance to check out Ferment while you were there?  That place looks pretty awesome.  Right down the road from pFriem.  Man, I could sit there all day and watch the kite boarders/wind surfers on the river, sipping on suds, relaxing with a book.  One day, man.....one day.
Did not. Next time though. 

Slapdash said:
It is interesting how seasonal the beer business can be too.  Last couple of times I have been by Burial they had next to no IPAs on tap :lol:  

But, yeah, it is a very fun aesthetic to hang out at. 

I always like the old Greenman tap room around the corner there too, particularly when it is packed in for soccer matches.
Agreed. The old Greenman is fun too. That's way more my style than the newer places. 

Wingnut said:
What's your opinion on Cigar City?

Jefferson the Caregiver said:

:goodposting:  

The thing I admire about Fieldwork is the shocking amount of different beers they are constantly pumping out, and 99% of them are fantastic.  If you like IPAs my local brewery, Altamont, is spreading their wings gradually throughout the Bay Area.  

Users who are viewing this thread