What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 06 2023 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

Thank you to all the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted. I can't get to everything, but I'll try.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) It helps if you post the matchup. e.g. Cousins vs Den or James Cook @ Mia

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).
3a) POST MATCHUPS PLEASE

4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

Let the bye weeks begin

I always post results of my head-2-head choices for the previous week and keep a season long tally. I compare those results to the results if I used a coin toss instead.

I don't keep a tally when asked to choose between more than two players because I'm not sure how to score it and don't want to get into fractions to keep the tally.

Last Week I chose...poorly like really, really bad. Since this thread was started back in 2021 this was my worst week by miles. I went 14-34-3 :bag: and the coin toss managed 21-27-3

My previous worst week was week 10 2021 when I called 39.1% correctly, this week it was only 27.5%

On the season I am 176-178-13 and the randbetween is 173-181-13

I'll start.

PPR scoring I need one flex
Jahmyr Gibbs (Q) @ Tampa Bay
Jerome Ford v San Francisco
Josh Palmer v Dallas
Zay Flowers v Tennessee

I think it comes down to Palmer v Flowers based on health & matchup. The Cowboys have been great against opposing WRs but they have also faced, perhaps, the worst four WR rooms and/or passing games in the NFL (NYG, NYJ, ARI & NEP).

Standard QB scoring, 4 pt passing TDs.

Start Lamar Jackson vs a tough TEN D, or Brock Purdy vs a tough CLE D?

Start of the season, I’d never even consider Purdy over Lamar. But, after a mediocre game this past week by Lamar AND the fact that Purdy is making me a Mr. Irrelevant believer, I’m thinking about it.

I'll start.

Josh Palmer v Dallas
Zay Flowers v Tennessee

I think it comes down to Palmer v Flowers based on health & matchup. The Cowboys have been great against opposing WRs but they have also faced, perhaps, the worst four WR rooms and/or passing games in the NFL (NYG, NYJ, ARI & NEP).
Palmer really depends on if Ekeler is back. Like him a lot more if Ekeler sits. Since I think Ekeler will be back, I would lean towards Flowers.

Start of the season, I’d never even consider Purdy over Lamar. But, after a mediocre game this past week by Lamar AND the fact that Purdy is making me a Mr. Irrelevant believer, I’m thinking about it.
I would still start Jackson. This will be a tough game for SF and possibly a trap game given how much SF throttled Dallas.

I'm not benching Lamar because of last week. Did you see the video of all the drops from the Raven's receiving group? It was one of the worst collective performances I have ever seen. Lamar kept hitting them in the hands and they kept dropping them. I swear they had money on the Steelers. The first one to Flowers was a little behind otherwise those guys just choked.

Lamar>Purdy

I'm not benching Lamar because of last week. Did you see the video of all the drops from the Raven's receiving group? It was one of the worst collective performances I have ever seen. Lamar kept hitting them in the hands and they kept dropping them. I swear they had money on the Steelers. The first one to Flowers was a little behind otherwise those guys just choked.

Lamar>Purdy
Holy crap! No, I didn’t see that before. That is horrendous. No wonder his stat line looked so low.

I know I’m overreacting after a down week. But, damn, I hope BAL trades for some WRs that don’t have big toes for thumbs this week.

I'll start.

Josh Palmer v Dallas
Zay Flowers v Tennessee

I like Flowers to bounce back this week. They’re gonna be fired up after pissing away the Steelers game.

Not a fan of London games but he has a solid floor IMO. TEN has given up the 7th most points to WR in our PPR format.

It’s not a bad thought. But I’d roll with Lamar & the Ravens to bounce back at Tottenham.

49ers at Browns has an over of 37.5. Expect violence.

I carry two defenses (defense scoring is favorable for good defenses). Which one here?

BUF vs NYG
KC vs DEN

TNF v SNF eh.

Slight edge to the Bills; divisional games can go sideways sometimes. Bills sort of blundered IMO not going to London until Friday. Like them at home & the Giants aren’t even functional on offense rn. Broncos are still a hot mess but at least they’ve scored almost twice the points as Big Blue.

Emari Demercado VS Jake Ferguson. Emari has the Rams and Ferguson has the Chargers.

It’s full point reception league, and TE’s do get an extra 0.50 per reception.

Superflex league, Starting Lawrence at QB1 slot. Which would you start in the superflex?

G Smith at CIN
B Purdy at CLE

have been starting Purdy in the superflex, but CLE D is tough and this could be a trap game for SF.

Any other Devonta Smith owners struggling to justify why he remains a week to week start in PPR?

I'm looking at:

Michael Thomas (at HOU)
Josh Palmer (DAL)
London (WSH)
Downs (at JAX)

as potential WRs that consistently get more volume as starters over Smith (at NYJ) this week.

Any thoughts? Those three weeks where Smith only saw 5 targets are concerning, especially with Goedert getting more looks and Swift playing very well.

Last edited:
Not a WDIS but is this the worst lineup youve seen in a 12 team league? Do I have any shot here? Lost 3 players due to injury this week including JJ. Currently 2-3. Trying to gage if I should trade JJ or wait one more week to see how I do.

QB- Mahomes
RB- Demercado, JCook
WR- Collins, Davis
Flex- Palmer
TE- Andrews
K- Koo
D- Cowboys

As a flex option - PPR league. Need one of these:

Lockett at CIN
R White vs DET
McLaughlin at KC
Probably can't make a decision until we know Javonte's status, although he was a full participant yesterday so we can assume he will play this week. Jaleel has been amazing and started last week but still only managed a 33% snap share to 68% for Perine. If Javonte is back I have to imagine his slice of the pie is even smaller. If Javonte is out then I start Jaleel.

As much as I like Tyler Lockett as a player I don't think I can ignore the sheer volume that White is seeing. He is the clear lead back in Tampa Bay with a 77% snap share and averaging 19 opportunities per game, 73 yards with 3 receptions. That's a pretty solid floor IMO. The Lions have a decent defense but not prohibitive.

With Lockett you have to hope you capture one of his big games but if you don't you're looking at 4 catches for 40 yards.

White>Lockett>Jaleel*

Not a WDIS but is this the worst lineup youve seen in a 12 team league? Do I have any shot here? Lost 3 players due to injury this week including JJ. Currently 2-3. Trying to gage if I should trade JJ or wait one more week to see how I do.

QB- Mahomes
RB- Demercado, JCook
WR- Collins, Davis
Flex- Palmer
TE- Andrews
K- Koo
D- Cowboys
How many teams make the playoffs? If 6, you may get in at 7-7 which means you only need to go 5-4 the rest of the way. I would wait one more week and see if you can get to 3-3. Mahomes, Davis and J Cook have really good matchups this week so you might be able to win this week. If you can somehow go 2-2 the next 4, you're 4-5 and not out of it.

Hold JJ as long as you can.

10-team PPR. Pick 2 of these 3:

Addison at CHI
Devonta Smith at NYJ
Kyren Williams vs. ARI
I do think Devonta is probably the most talented of these guys, and he's on the team that should score the most points. However, Kyren vs Arizona is simply too strong of a matchup and he's been getting too many scoring opportunities to ignore. Last week sucked for sure but this looks like a better game for him. If he flops again we can start discussing if he has peaked for the season (a distinct possibility).

Addison is more of a spec play but he is in line for a bump in utilization against a what is still likely to be a bad defense. Even in a good game they gave up 388 yards against Sam Howell.

It is a coin toss between Smith and Addison, ATM I am leaning
Kyren>Addison>DeVonta

Ppr

Z. Moss @ jax
Or
Mattison vs Chi

Got mattison right now
Personally I am rolling with Moss until I see a reason not to. I don't think Taylor suddenly comes in and assumes 70% of the RB usage. I expect to see closer to a 50% time share at best.

Mattison was in on 51% of the snaps in what was a one score game for all but 6 minutes at the end of the 3rd to beginning of the 4th. I think Akers continues to increase his role, particularly with Jefferson out.

IMO Moss in a 50% timeshare>>>Mattison in a 50% timeshare

Moss>Mattison

Emari Demercado VS Jake Ferguson. Emari has the Rams and Ferguson has the Chargers.

It’s full point reception league, and TE’s do get an extra 0.50 per reception.
Absolutely no clue about either of these guys. Ferguson is getting under 6 targets per game but has hit 7 targets 3 times in 5 games. The Chargers aren't bad against opposing TEs, Hockenson had a decent game against him but is Ferguson closer to Hockenson in talent or Okonkwo, Kroft or Hooper who the Chargers shut down?

Demercado is 100% a spec play but if we hear that he is starting before game time I think you have to go with him. Definitely need to pay attention to practice reports regarding Ingram and maybe follow some Arizona beat writers this week.

I close my eyes, hold my nose and pray that
Demercado>Ferguson

Superflex league, Starting Lawrence at QB1 slot. Which would you start in the superflex?

G Smith at CIN
B Purdy at CLE

have been starting Purdy in the superflex, but CLE D is tough and this could be a trap game for SF.
Tough one to figure out. But, ultimately I think I back the guy on the team I think is most likely to win. Purdy is running the #2 scoring offense in the NFL with a low output of 21 points and he hasn't really had a bad game yet. Geno is at the helm of the #6 scoring offense in the league that has two 13 point games but has been pretty meh in 3 of 4 games.

I get the "why" of Geno but I think he has a lower floor and don't thing his ceiling is really any better than Purdy's.

Purdy>Geno

Any other Devonta Smith owners struggling to justify why he remains a week to week start in PPR?

I'm looking at:

Michael Thomas (at HOU)
Josh Palmer (DAL)
London (WSH)
Downs (at JAX)

as potential WRs that consistently get more volume as starters over Smith (at NYJ) this week.

Any thoughts? Those three weeks where Smith only saw 5 targets are concerning, especially with Goedert getting more looks and Swift playing very well.
I can make an argument for all of them probably.

Thomas's volume has been rock steady, so steady I wonder if we have seen his ceiling already. Eventually he'll find the end zone but this doesn't seem like a really high output offense ATM.

I like Palmer a lot, he has been consistently productive when thrust into the #2 WR role and he has, by far the best QB of the bunch throwing to him (sorry Jalen fans, Herbert is a better passer). The matchup is fine IMO but the Cowboys D can certainly take it to another level.

London is a TD play. Since week one he's averaging 7.5 targets/game consistently. Not great but not terrible either. He has two TDs in the last 4 games too. His QB is still highly suspect though. The bonus for him is he is playing against a defense that got torched by Justin Fields.

Downs is chasing points IMO. Relative to your other options I probably don't take the risk on such a spec play.

Without much to go on, if you are really considering benching DeVonta I probably rank these guys

Palmer>London>Smith>Thomas>Downs

QB- Mahomes
RB- Demercado, JCook
WR- Collins, Davis
Flex- Palmer
TE- Andrews
K- Koo
D- Cowboys
I've seen worse. I would hold JJ...unless you think you could get Jahmyr Gibbs in return. In that case I immediately do the deal and I might even throw in Andrews just to say thanks to the other owner for letting you have Gibbs.

;)

I'm looking at:

Michael Thomas (at HOU)
Josh Palmer (DAL)
London (WSH)
Downs (at JAX)

I'm actually a former Devonta Smith owner as I just traded him straight up for Garrett Wilson. Smith is ranked high by pundits week after week but other than one blowout game he honestly has been a bust so far. I think you nailed it in mentioning Swift. The Eagles had no one like Swift last season and Smith was getting tons of targets on short passes, Now a lot of those passes are going to Swift. Garrett has to contend with Zach as a QB but at least I know he is the alpha amongst receivers on the Jets. The lack of targets is a big concern for Smith and it feels like most pundits are not actually watching Eagles game when making rankings. Smith is quickly falling into low WR2 or even WR3 territory.

That being said I know Devonta will have big games now and then so it is hard to bench him if you have him. None of your other options really stand out. I would stick with Devonta although Palmer and Downs both could outproduce him this week.

Saints defense against the Texans…or the lions defense against the buccaneers?
Total coin toss. You're likely to hit any rushing bonus against either but any more than that is a W.A.G.

I guess I lean towards the Saints but not not for any defensible reason.

Saints>Lions

ETA: Already flip flopped once

14 team .. NO PPR

Pick 2
Henry
Etienne
Jacobs
Barkley

Pick 1
Tucker
Maher
Please include matchups in the future.

I start Etienne at home in a neutral matchup.

I don't start Barkley at Buffalo, that Giants team looks like a disaster.

Between Barkley & Jacobs I think I like Jacobs a little more. It's a home game against a neutral matchup on a team that is kind of imploding. You never can tell with Belichick but the Patriots just seem off and the Ravens don't.

Etienne>Jacobs>Henry>Barkley

Tucker>Maher

He's just better and on a better team.

Some good but very similar options this week. Standard scoring, need 2:

D.Swift @ Jets
K.Williams vs Cards
N.Collins vs Saints
J.Addison @ Bears
B.Aiyuk @ Browns
C.Olave @ Texans

I lean Williams and Addison but finding Swift hard to bench and Collins feels like a bounce back game maybe?

Thanks

Standard - pick my RB2

McLaughlin @ KC
Akers @ Chi
Gibson @ ATL
Charbonnet @Cin
Wilson Jr v Car
Breida @ Buf

Pick 1 - I know, I know ... probably will depend on what shakes out throughout the week, so I may bump later on.

Standard scoring, no PPR
Henry vs BAL - London game
Pacheco vs DEN - Thurs night game

I have never considered benching Henry before but this feels like the right time. The "experts" tell me to play Henry. I have Pacheco in the line-up right now.

PPR League.

Trying to optimize my last lotto RB slot. Can choose from:

* R. Rivers - I have Kyren Williams. Clear backup. If Kyren gets injured, McVay seems to just wear the lead guy out.
* D. Foreman - I have K. Herbert. Out for a bit. Could start this week with R. Johnson having a concussion. Could also step right into Herbert's role for all we know.
* K. Ingram - Conner out on IR. Was listed as the #1 on the depth chart over the rookie.
* C. Brooks - Have Mostert. Achane to IR. Mostert probably get hurt now that Achane gone.

Don't need asap, but looking for medium term upside.

Who would you grab?

Thanks

Some good but very similar options this week. Standard scoring, need 2:

D.Swift @ Jets
K.Williams vs Cards
N.Collins vs Saints
J.Addison @ Bears
B.Aiyuk @ Browns
C.Olave @ Texans

I lean Williams and Addison but finding Swift hard to bench and Collins feels like a bounce back game maybe?

Thanks
Not many guys I'd bench Swift for ATM and I don't see one on your list. Yes, the TDs are frustrating and the matchup may be tough-ish but that offense is too good and they are using him as an every down, distance, field position back.

I could see going in any direction with your other options, and with five legitimate options you're almost guaranteed to choose wrong.

For me it has to be Kyren. Rough game last week but the strength of the Eagles defense is up front so, while bothersome I'm not willing to call Kyren done after one bad game. The matchup is great, the Cards have the 27th scoring and 25th rushing defense. Hopefully the Rams will see plenty of scoring opportunities.

If you don't like Kyren it really becomes tough for me to make a choice. Do you risk Addison because of the matchup?

Do you ignore matchups and go with Aiyuk? The chatter that Deshaun may miss another game, IMO means more possessions for the #2 scoring offense in the league. Personally I am not concerned about a letdown after the Dallas game.

I like Olave more than Nico just because the Saints defense looks legit but neither offense particularly excites me relative to your other options.

Swift>Kyren>Aiyuk>Addison>Olave>Nico

Users who are viewing this thread