What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 12 2023 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

Thank you to all the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted. I can't get to everything, but I'll try.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) POST MATCHUPS PLEASE

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

Let's hit the playoffs push!

I'll start

Super Flex PPR need my last flex spot

Desmond Ridder v NO
Will Levis v CAR
Zay Flowers @LAC
Calvin Ridley @HOU

It probably needs to be Ridder or Levis but it's hard to ignore Ridley now if the theory of Zay Jones is true (and it sure looks true), I have watched a lot of Flowers this year and it seems like he has been incredibly close to a few monster games.

For those considering Calvin Ridley this week, as many of us are, it was pointed out in his player thread that the way Ridley is deployed in games with Zay Jones in the lineup and when Jones is out is dramatically different. I guess Ridley runs a lot more deep routes when Jones is out.

Here is how Ridley's numbers play out with Jones in the lineup:
4 games, 9 targets, 6 receptions 90 yards (3 hundred yard games), 15.2 y/r 66% catch rate and 3 total TDs

Here is how Ridley's numbers look with Jones out:
6 games, 6 targets, 3 receptions, 36 yards (0 hundred yard games), 11.4 y/r, 57% catch rate and 1 total TD

It's kinda crazy.

For those considering Calvin Ridley this week, as many of us are, it was pointed out in his player thread that the way Ridley is deployed in games with Zay Jones in the lineup and when Jones is out is dramatically different. I guess Ridley runs a lot more deep routes when Jones is out.

4 games, 9 targets, 6 receptions 90 yards (3 hundred yard games), 15.2 y/r 66% catch rate and 3 total TDs

6 games, 6 targets, 3 receptions, 36 yards (0 hundred yard games), 11.4 y/r, 57% catch rate and 1 total TD

It's kinda crazy.
That's rather good data for Ridley. Still hard to not start the QB in SF. I'd stay far away from Levis.

Start 2 WRs (1ppr)

K.Allen/SD vs Bal
D.Johnson/Pit @Cin
J.Downs/Ind vs TB
B.Cooks/Dal vs Was

I hate Allen's matchup, but at least it's at home.
Johnson feels radioactive with the way Pickett is playing. Does a new play caller matter?
Downs has a good matchup but the knee makes me leery. Is he healthy post-bye?
Cooks has the best QB of the non-Allen options. Good matchup. Gives me someone to watch on TV. But it feels like I'm chasing the outlier from 2 weeks ago when he went off.

I'm leaning Allen & Cooks.

.5 PPR

Looking for a RB and a Flex

Robinson @ DAL
Stevenson @ NYG
Hunt @ DEN
Lockett vs SF
Cooper @ DEN
Douglas @ NYG

Standard Scoring

Pick 1:
Barkley vs NE
JJacobs vs KC
DHenry vs Car
Aiyuk @ Seattle (already starting CMC - if that matters)

Pick 1 Defense:
Buffalo @ Phi
NYJets vs Mia
Denver vs Cle (if I can claim off waiver)

Standard Scoring

Pick 1:
Barkley vs NE
JJacobs vs KC
DHenry vs Car

Pick 1 Defense:
Buffalo @ Phi
NYJets vs Mia
Barkley - Can't bench after last week.
Denver (or Jets - Bills D @PHI feels like a bad play)

Presuming Kupp is out.
is OBJ @ LAC an auto start over Diontae @ CIN or Garrett Wilson vs Miami?

then, concussion protocol notwithstanding - carr or Winston @ atl or devito vs NEP?

Superflex PPR, total points league.

Need 2 RBs and 2 flex among these 5, so one sits:

Etienne @ HOU - stud all year for the most part but usage/efficiency has been declining

Barkley vs NE - all the volume and still producing at a high level despite terrible offense

Pollard vs WAS - looked better last week and finally got into end zone, but volume still isn’t there and neither is his explosiveness; good matchup on Turkey Day though

White @ IND - also pure volume play and producing great in PPR

Minshew vs TB - meh QB but good matchup and offers decent floor as a QB

(Allen is my QB1)

On the surface, the seemingly obvious play is to go with the 4 RBs but given that it’s SF, not entirely confident that all of these guys will outscore Minshew.

I'll start

Super Flex PPR need my last flex spot

Desmond Ridder v NO
Will Levis v CAR
Zay Flowers @LAC
Calvin Ridley @HOU

It probably needs to be Ridder or Levis but it's hard to ignore Ridley now if the theory of Zay Jones is true (and it sure looks true), I have watched a lot of Flowers this year and it seems like he has been incredibly close to a few monster games.
I’d go Ridder - he’s probably not going to throw much but gives you some floor with rushing.

Ridley seems interesting after last week, but can very easily see him flaming out again

1 QB - Lamar Jackson or Justin Herbert?? Herbert's averaging 25, Jackson 22. Playing each other. Chargers WR/TE corps banged up. Jackson's ankle iffy? Weather the same for both; Chargers at home. Do you see a factor which would lean you one way or the other?

More of a week 13 question. Trying to cover L. Jackson's bye this week. 4 pts per TD pass.

Available QBs:

* D. Carr vs DET - Detroit has been thrown on. Maybe Carr has to play catchup here a bit.

* W. Levis vs Indy - Ok matchup. TN offense hasn't exactly been clicking.

* G. Minshew @TN -- TN secondary can be had, but TN plays tougher at home.

* DT Robinson @LAR -- Played it conservative last week, but maybe they loosen the reigns and the designed runs increase.

Which?

Thanks

.5 PPR

Terry McLaurin at Dallas
Gus Edwards at Chargers
Javonte Williams Vs Cleveland

PICK 1 for my flex

.5 PPR

Lockett Vs San Fran (also have JSN)
AJ Dillon at Detroit
Keaton Mitchell at Chargers
Trey McBride at Rams

PICK 1 for my flex

Thanks!!

Start 2 WRs (1ppr)

K.Allen/SD vs Bal
D.Johnson/Pit @Cin
J.Downs/Ind vs TB
B.Cooks/Dal vs Was

Johnson feels radioactive with the way Pickett is playing. Does a new play caller matter?
Cooks has the best QB of the non-Allen options. Good matchup. Gives me someone to watch on TV. But it feels like I'm chasing the outlier from 2 weeks ago when he went off.

I’d go with Allen and Deontae. The latter is probably a better bet for targets than Cooks and Downs and maybe the new OC gives a spark.

Please see mine.

It's kinda crazy.
That's rather good data for Ridley. Still hard to not start the QB in SF. I'd stay far away from Levis.
I agree. I'd go with Ridder because his floor is higher than Levis due to rushing potential.

Etienne @ HOU - stud all year for the most part but usage/efficiency has been declining

Barkley vs NE - all the volume and still producing at a high level despite terrible offense

Pollard vs WAS - looked better last week and finally got into end zone, but volume still isn’t there and neither is his explosiveness; good matchup on Turkey Day though

(Allen is my QB1)

On the surface, the seemingly obvious play is to go with the 4 RBs but given that it’s SF, not entirely confident that all of these guys will outscore Minshew.
I would sit Pollard. WAS is getting torched through the air so I expect the Cowboys will throw all day. I think Minshew will do fine this week.

10-team PPR. My RB1 is McCaffrey. Need to decide on RB2 and flex. Which of these three sits?

Achane @NYJ
Pacheco @LV
K. Williams @Ari

Obviously if Achane doesn't go, this question is moot.

(Allen is my QB1)

I would sit Pollard. WAS is getting torched through the air so I expect the Cowboys will throw all day. I think Minshew will do fine this week.
Thanks - kind of thinking the same. Not that it should factor in, but psychologically would hate to sit on a bad Thursday performance. If Pollard does go off, I still have a chance to make it up.

10-team PPR. My RB1 is McCaffrey. Need to decide on RB2 and flex. Which of these three sits?

Achane @NYJ
Pacheco @LV
K. Williams @Ari

I’d actually sit Achane either way even if he plays. They may ease him back if active and I see them trying to gash the Jets with Mostert and Wilson.

Much more guaranteed volume with Kyren and Pacheco.

.5 PPR

Terry McLaurin at Dallas
Gus Edwards at Chargers

PICK 1 for my flex

.5 PPR

AJ Dillon at Detroit
Trey McBride at Rams

PICK 1 for my flex

Thanks!!
I’d go with Gus in the first group. Not liking the matchups for Terry and Javonte, and I think the Ravens will ride Gus.

For the second, I’d go Dillon. Volume will be big with Jones and Emmanuel Wilson out.

(Allen is my QB1)

You can't sit Barkley or White.
I'd take Etienne over Pollard, so the choice is Pollard or Minshew...

TB is a better D than Washington (which just provided Barkley's best game of the year)

4 RBs

This is a tough one. My only real decision to make is at RB. One of these four has to sit on the bench.

Etienne @ HOU (EDIT: 16th fewest pts allowed to RB's)
Gibbs vs GB (21st)
Swift vs BUF (23rd)
Bijan vs NO (3rd)

Gibbs should be a lock I think. I have an idea who is the odd man out, I'll see what the Oracle says.

ETA: forgot about scoring specs. PPR. 0.1/rush yd or rec yd. 5 pt bonus at 150 rush or 150 rec.

Last edited:
This is a tough one. My only real decision to make is at RB. One of these four has to sit on the bench.

Etienne @ HOU (16th most pts allowed to RB's)
Gibbs vs GB (21st)
Swift vs BUF (23rd)
Bijan vs NO (3rd)

Gibbs should be a lock I think. I have an idea who is the odd man out, I'll see what the Oracle says.
It’s close between Etienne and Swift, but I’d sit Etienne.

I have won four straight and only take your advice about 50% of the time. However, I consider my fantasy therapy sessions with @Chaka to be an integral part of my recent success.

W I D E Receiver (pick 2):
  • Chris Olave at ATL
  • Jaylen Waddle at NYJ
  • Jayden Reed at DET
Not a riddle; Olave will be in a low scoring affair, Waddle is a distant second banana going up against the toughest FF defense for WR, and Reed has been coming on and is facing a suspect Detroit defense. Chase (v PIT) is my WR1 and I'm not ready to bench him yet - still in the bargaining stage.

Running back (pick 1)
  • Hall v MIA on Black Friday
  • Pacheco at LV
  • Warren at CIN (the 2nd hottest back on my team behind Jah)
  • Mitchell at LAC
WRT Flex (pick one and one only)
  • options are the 4 players you didn't already take from above
Tight End (uno)
  • LaPorta v GB
  • Njoku at DEN
Another "isn't it obvious" choice bc it's actually not. Sam has been meh and David has 47 targets over his last 5 g. Not saying he'll be receiving quality targets from DTR but he is kind of the man over there rn. Well, he is a man. A man with only half of his face, which makes him twice as tough as any other TE you are ranking above him.

As always, my sincere gratitude for the service you render to the community.

Thanks in advance.

I've bolded who I am "leaning" toward

Standard Scoring + Full PPR

QB (x1)
Lawrence
Dobbs
*been rolling Lawrence all year...benched him last week :-( but still managed to win.....

RB (x2)
Mostert

B Robinson (on the road vs DAL D gives me concern + DAL is my defense)
Rhomandre (still have an injury designation???)
Tyjae Spears
Jeff Wilson (w

TE
Kincaid or Mcbride - complete toss up. W/ Cardinals @ home maybe lean toward McBride?

Flex
Josh Downs healthy? vs TB pass DEF?

Amari Cooper
TE not selected above

For context, my WR 's are Diggs and Amon Ra.

Standard scoring non-ppr league. I need to start 2 out of these 4:

Olave vs ATL - Still seeing plenty of targets either with Carr or Winston
D. Smith vs BUF - Looks like a shootout on paper
Pittman vs TB - The clear #1 receiving option
Lockett vs SF - Was on snapcount last week and Geno may not play; sitting him

As of today, I have Olave and D. Smith in as the PHI/BUF game could be a shootout. Pittman is the #1 and it's hard to bench the amount of targets he is getting.

A good problem to have, but definitely a headache week over week.

Thoughts?

Must win.

10 team PPR 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 O-FL,
D/ST

5 point bonus at 100+ combined Ru/Re

WRs - Lamb & ARSB are locks. Have Chase, Ridley & Nico to choose from for the 3rd WR slot.

RB - I have Warren, James Cook, Singletary, Charbonnet, & James Cook.

FL - one of Chase, Singletary, Nico, Ridley, Charbonnet, Warren, Cook

I have too many good options, with some craptastic matchups.

As of now I have it
RB - Warren, Singletary
WR - Lamb, ARSB, Nico
FL - Ridley

Open to suggestions/feedback
Am I crazy benching Chase?

Thanks in advance!

0.5 PPR - 12 Team.

Doubs @ DET
DHOP vs CAR

Normally would be going DHOP- but me thinks GB will have to throw.

Thanks!
Personally I like Doubs. He’s GB’s only healthy receiver at the moment. All the other receivers are banged up. Watson hasn’t been healthy all year, Wicks is Q & might be out, Reed is Q & might be out, and Musgrave has beeen in the hospital & might be out.

That sounds like a lot of targets going to Doubs & Watson to me.

Who do I pick up for week 13 byes. There are good arguments for both. Michael Thomas is now on IR. But Jayden has been getting more touches and producing more.

Rashid Shaheed vs DET
Jayden Reed vs KC

Happy Thanksgiving!
FFPC scoring:
Need TWO flexes:

R.Stevenson @ NYG
D.Singletary vs Jax
K.Mitchell @ LAC
B.Aiyuk @ Sea
A.Thielen @ Tenn

And need a QB:

T.Lawrence @ Hou
B.Mayfield @ Ind
J.Dobbs vs Chi

Need some help with my flex in 0.5 PPR:

• Charbonnet (Leaning towards this)
  • Achane (Even if he plays, I can't trust him on a short week imo)
  • Keaton Mitchell
  • Diaontae Johnson
  • Demario Douglas

PPR league. Need two of these guys:

* R. Mostert @NYJ -- Looking like Achane iffy at best as of right now. NYJ can be run on. Wilson probably active with Ahmed out.

* Kyren Williams @AZ -- He's back. And D. Henderson waived. I suppose R. Freeman will get touches. This is a running D Williams scorched prior to injury. A little gunshy in the game coming off injury, but McVay was pretty quick to say he'd be active and waived Henderson immediately.

* Z. Charbonnet vs SF -- Will get the full load. Tough matchup, but some RBs (Mixon, K. Williams, CLE RBs) managed well against them.

* B. Aiyuk @SEA -- Not a ton of volume, but he is the #1 target down the field.

Which 2?

Thanks!

Must win.

10 team PPR 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 O-FL,
D/ST

5 point bonus at 100+ combined Ru/Re

WRs - Lamb & ARSB are locks. Have Chase, Ridley & Nico to choose from for the 3rd WR slot.

RB - I have Warren, James Cook, Singletary, Charbonnet, & James Cook.

FL - one of Chase, Singletary, Nico, Ridley, Charbonnet, Warren, Cook

I have too many good options, with some craptastic matchups.

As of now I have it
RB - Warren, Singletary
WR - Lamb, ARSB, Nico
FL - Ridley

Open to suggestions/feedback
Am I crazy benching Chase?
I think those are all reasonable choices. Chase wasn't heavily targeted by Browning, Although a week as the #1 may change that. Point is its less known and you have good options. Charbonnet is interesting but I'd also avoid the SF Matchup and Ridley is coming off of a big game and has Zay Jones back

Start 2 WRs (1ppr)

K.Allen/SD vs Bal
D.Johnson/Pit @Cin
J.Downs/Ind vs TB
B.Cooks/Dal vs Was

You're overthinking Allen. He's an auto start.

I am not sure why anyone would consider Cooks. He has literally had one game with more than four targets. He has a fine matchup but that's about it.

In his four games as a starter before getting injured Downs was averaging 7 targets for 79 yards with 2 TDs. Tampa Bay is also a good matchup and he's coming off a bye so is hopefully healthy.

I really like Diontae and maybe the new coordinator has an impact on the whole offense but I have no idea how to handicap this situation.

Downs>Diontae>Cooks

.5 PPR

Looking for a RB and a Flex

Robinson @ DAL
Stevenson @ NYG
Hunt @ DEN
Lockett vs SF
Cooper @ DEN
Douglas @ NYG
I probably go with Robinson & Stevenson because everything else is equally ugly so go for volume plays.

Denver D is playing lights out and probably won't respect the pass until DTR proves they should. So Coop & Hunt are not options IMO.

I like Lockett but you've got a gimpy Geno at best or Drew Lock at worst in San Francisco. Pass.

Douglas has Mac Jones throwing to him and the Giants showed a few signs of life.

Process of elimination, IMO, dictates

Stevenson & Robinson

Standard Scoring

Pick 1:
Barkley vs NE
JJacobs vs KC
DHenry vs Car

Pick 1 Defense:
Buffalo @ Phi
NYJets vs Mia
I can't bench Barkley here. There is risk of course but the Giants have rallied around DeVito a little bit and New England seems pretty vulnerable.

Henry is also a great choice but he's been only okay and I don't have the same degree of confidence that he sees the same volume as Barkley.

Aiyuk is a fine option but I like your other ones better.

Opposing defenses don't really respect the Raiders passing game ATM, Jacobs will get volume but I think his ceiling is low and any big game will come from him having to do it on his own to a degree.

Barkley>Henry/Aiyuk>Jacobs

Denver by a good margin IMO. Great matchup at home and they're playing great lately.

Presuming Kupp is out.
is OBJ @ LAC an auto start over Diontae @ CIN or Garrett Wilson vs Miami?

then, concussion protocol notwithstanding - carr or Winston @ atl or devito vs NEP?
Is this PPR? Don't answer just please try to remember in the future that info helps.

I don't know what to think about Diontae TBH. This week can't end soon enough just so we can see some clarity in Pittsburgh. My gut says the team rallies a bit around the new OC but, who knows? So I wouldn't want to bank on it. Similar situation with Wilson, how much can we possibly expect from Boyle? Maybe he locks in to Wilson and gives him 10+ targets, new starters often don't move past their first read, but what does that translate into?

OBJ>Wilson>Diontae

I'd go with the NO QB over DeVito. I'm not a believer yet.

(Allen is my QB1)

All those guys probably won't outscore Minshew. Trying to figure out which one won't is the question. Pollard seems like the choice IMO for the reasons you stated. He's not getting the volume and the Commanders are marginally better against the run than the pass. It's not a great choice but, if the question was Pollard v any of the other RBs this week Pollard would be behind them all.

Minshew>Pollard

1 QB - Lamar Jackson or Justin Herbert?? Herbert's averaging 25, Jackson 22. Playing each other. Chargers WR/TE corps banged up. Jackson's ankle iffy? Weather the same for both; Chargers at home. Do you see a factor which would lean you one way or the other?
I'd be happy with either choice.

I think the Chargers offense runs through Herbert's on field statistical production more than the Ravens. Lamar drives that offense, for sure but they don't rely on his legs for TDs and seem perfectly content to run all-day-every-day once they get inside the five.

Herbert>Lamar

More of a week 13 question. Trying to cover L. Jackson's bye this week. 4 pts per TD pass.

Available QBs:

* D. Carr vs DET - Detroit has been thrown on. Maybe Carr has to play catchup here a bit.

* W. Levis vs Indy - Ok matchup. TN offense hasn't exactly been clicking.

* G. Minshew @TN -- TN secondary can be had, but TN plays tougher at home.

* DT Robinson @LAR -- Played it conservative last week, but maybe they loosen the reigns and the designed runs increase.

Which?

Thanks
Carr and doesn't seem very close to me.

But if I was going for a hunch play it would be Minshew because that Tennessee defense looks very vulnerable to everything ATM.

.5 PPR

Terry McLaurin at Dallas
Gus Edwards at Chargers

PICK 1 for my flex

.5 PPR

AJ Dillon at Detroit
Trey McBride at Rams

PICK 1 for my flex

Thanks!!
At some point the Gus train is going to stop but, I can't bet against him this week particularly with your other options.

Gus>Pick 'em

I don't love your other choice but, begrudgingly think Dillion is probably the best option mostly as an option play and the fact that you aren't able to wait until Sunday to find out Geno's status. Personally I think Geno will be impacted even if he does play and that game could get ugly.

If you don't start Dillon then McBride may be the best bet. I think he is probably the #2 target, at worst, in Arizona and Kyler should be getting better as he reacclimates to game speed.

No way on Mitchell, too little volume and I don't trust Geno this week (or Drew Lock) so

Dillon>McBride

Achane @NYJ
Pacheco @LV
K. Williams @Ari

Pacheco and I don't even really think about it.

Great matchup, coming off a tough loss and he looks great.

Achane isn't fully healthy and we don't know about Kyren.

Pacheco>Kyren>Achane

Need 2, ppr:

Aiyuk vs Sea
Puka vs Ari
Olave vs Atl
If Kupp is out, then in PPR I think I have to go with Puka. Safest floor and solid ceiling.

If Kupp plays I pivot to Aiyuk who is just too hot of a hand to ignore.

I like Olave but I don't trust the consistency of the Saints offense.

Puka>Aiyuk>Olave

Users who are viewing this thread