What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 13 2023 who should I start thread **OFFICIALLY UNOFFICIAL** (1 Viewer)

Chaka

Footballguy
This is where we ask questions and offer help.

Thank you to all the posters who come here to offer that help.

A couple notes:

I attempt to give well considered responses to all questions posted. I can't get to everything, but I'll try.

1) This only works if people participate. If you ask for help it is good form to offer help to someone else.

2) POST MATCHUPS PLEASE

3) Please post important league scoring considerations (e.g. PPR, super-flex etc).

4) Please go easy on the nicknames, save that for other threads. We can't help if we don't know who you are talking about.

View this as an exercise to help focus your thoughts about teams in general. Players you own may not be involved in these WDIS questions but certainly you will own players on many of these teams. Analyzing other players will help you identify things you may have otherwise not considered.

Let's hit the playoffs push!

I'll start.

Super flex PPR. I need one flex player.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

Usually I at least have some feel for which way I want to go but, ATM, I really don't.

Even in a SF, I don't like Ridder's matchup and Levis hasn't done much to instill confidence.

Probably going with Ridley or Rice.

I'll start.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

Usually I at least have some feel for which way I want to go but, ATM, I really don't.

Even in a SF, I don't like Ridder's matchup and Levis hasn't done much to instill confidence.

I'd keep rolling with Ridley. CINCI D looks terrible and that offense can't keep them on the field.

Need a QB replacement for L. Jackson this week. 4 pts per TD pass.

* D. Carr vs DET -- DET looked horrible against J. Love last week and has been mediocre vs. the pass. Game indoors. However, it looks like Olave and Rasheed are going to be out. Carr wasn't that inspiring against ATL either.

or

* G. Minshew @TN -- TN most definitely a pass funnel D. Last game against TN, Minshew came in and completed 78% of his passes. Looks like J. Taylor iffy. That may be good for throwing. All that said, TN seems to play inspired football at home.

Which?

Thanks

Pivotal matchup this week to secure playoffs with quite a few players on bye:

0.5 PPR

Need to choose 4 of these 6:

Calvin Ridley vs Bengals
Puka Nacua vs Browns
Nico Collins vs Broncos
Jaylen Warren vs Cardinals
Josh Downs at Titans (Starting Minshew due to byes if that matters)
Demario Douglas vs Chargers

* D. Carr vs DET -- DET looked horrible against J. Love last week and has been mediocre vs. the pass. Game indoors. However, it looks like Olave and Rasheed are going to be out. Carr wasn't that inspiring against ATL either.

or

* G. Minshew @TN -- TN most definitely a pass funnel D. Last game against TN, Minshew came in and completed 78% of his passes. Looks like J. Taylor iffy. That may be good for throwing. All that said, TN seems to play inspired football at home.

Which?

Thanks
It's difficult to have much confidence in either of those guys. Minshew seems to be playing with more energy than Carr at this point but, looking over the last six games started for each guy they each have 6 passing TDs total. Carr throws for about 30 more yards per game but Minshew somehow has three rushing TDs.

I guess I would probably take the guy on the team I think is most likely to win. People often want to predict garbage time numbers and all that but I don't do game scripts anymore. W/L is more easy to get a handle on and teams that win generally score more than teams that lose. It's imperfect for sure but that's where I am at.

While the Lions are showing signs of not being able to sustain success, I do still think they pull of the W particularly if Olave and Shaheed are out. OTOH I think the Colts should probably beat the Titans so IF Olave remains out then

Minshew>Carr

or

Which?

Thanks
It's difficult to have much confidence in either of those guys. Minshew seems to be playing with more energy than Carr at this point but, looking over the last six games started for each guy they each have 6 passing TDs total. Carr throws for about 30 more yards per game but Minshew somehow has three rushing TDs.

I guess I would probably take the guy on the team I think is most likely to win. People often want to predict garbage time numbers and all that but I don't do game scripts anymore. W/L is more easy to get a handle on and teams that win generally score more than teams that lose. It's imperfect for sure but that's where I am at.

While the Lions are showing signs of not being able to sustain success, I do still think they pull of the W particularly if Olave and Shaheed are out. OTOH I think the Colts should probably beat the Titans so IF Olave remains out then

Minshew>Carr
Yup. That's the way I'm leaning.

Also see Pickett out there who has a great matchup vs AZ, but I'd gather N. Harris/Warren run for about 200 there.

0.5 PPR

Calvin Ridley vs Bengals
Puka Nacua vs Browns
Nico Collins vs Broncos

I'm going to assume you're just looking for confirmation of what you intend to do already. I don't see this as being a particularly close decision.

If you really want to pair Minshew with Downs I guess I might consider benching Puka but that feels like overthinking a bit. Puka has pretty much been awesome all year, Downs has been uneven. Probably has to do with the disparity between Stafford & Minshew.

D question, but also add/drop strategy question.

I have the Miami D @WASH currently. Universally ranked top 5 ish this week. I'm tinkering with the idea of going after one of the following:

* LAC @NE -- NE tanking.
* TB vs CAR -- CAR in disarray.
* ATL @NYJ -- Tim Boyle.
* LAR vs AZ -- AZ a mess.

Considering that as you would say that defense is largely a random number generator is it even worth going after??

Another reason to potentially stand pat: Go after a couple of guys on bye (R. Johnson...who could be 1a at RB now for CHI or J. Meyers) who could go unnoticed but could help me in the playoffs. Also a couple lottery tickets for the playoffs like E. Mitchell, D. Johnson.

Note: I'm a favorite this week and even with a loss, it would come down to next week for me to win/lose the division and a top seed.

Stand pat with Miami and satisfy other needs?

Or go after a D in waivers that has significant upside?

Thanks

Not a start/sit question, but a "Who do I Drop?" question. I have RB Kyren Williams that I have to move out of the IR spot.

Full PPR - start 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 DST

Currently have 4 RB's on the active roster:
RB - Rhamondre Stevenson - New England
RB - Jaylen Warren - Pittsburgh
RB - Jerome Ford - Cleveland
RB - Zach Charbonnet - Seattle

Currently have 5 WR's on the roster
WR - Stefon Diggs - Buffalo
WR - CeeDee Lamb - Dallas
WR - Diontae Johnson - Pittsburgh
WR - Tyler Lockett - Seattle
WR - Drake London

Currently have 2 DST's on the roster
Cowboys DST
49ers DST

I could try to swing a trade, but I'm not allowed to submit a trade offer until after I move Kyren out. Our trade deadline is 3 AM on 12/1. Plus nobody in my league ever wants to trade with me.

I'll start.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

I'd keep rolling with Ridley. CINCI D looks terrible and that offense can't keep them on the field.

I have the Miami D @WASH currently. Universally ranked top 5 ish this week. I'm tinkering with the idea of going after one of the following:

* LAC @NE -- NE tanking.
* ATL @NYJ -- Tim Boyle.

Considering that as you would say that defense is largely a random number generator is it even worth going after??

Another reason to potentially stand pat: Go after a couple of guys on bye (R. Johnson...who could be 1a at RB now for CHI or J. Meyers) who could go unnoticed but could help me in the playoffs. Also a couple lottery tickets for the playoffs like E. Mitchell, D. Johnson.

Note: I'm a favorite this week and even with a loss, it would come down to next week for me to win/lose the division and a top seed.

Thanks
Miami's matchup is good enough to not go looking elsewhere, especially if you are not in a must win situation. If you believe DEF is a Random number generator, then it makes no sense. I don't believe that - matching up against bad QB's and points allowed, and sacks are somewhat predictable. I mean yds and TDs for WRs and RBs are unpredictable too. Anyway, Miami has good matchups the next three weeks and if you can't get them back, I wouldnt risk it. I thought TB and ATL had nice matchups too this week.

Not a start/sit question, but a "Who do I Drop?" question. I have RB Kyren Williams that I have to move out of the IR spot.

WR - Drake London

Cowboys DST
49ers DST

I could try to swing a trade, but I'm not allowed to submit a trade offer until after I move Kyren out. Our trade deadline is 3 AM on 12/1. Plus nobody in my league ever wants to trade with me.
If I could drop a DEF to open a spot, I would. SF has a much better schedule through the playoffs. I bet you'd hardly want to play Dallas the rest of the way, except maybe this week and its close enough.

0.5 PPR

TE Trey McBride@Pit or
TE Pat Freiermuth vs. Az

Leaning Freiermuth based on matchup

Also Flex - pick 1

Deandre Swift vs SF
Nico Collins vs Den
Devin Singletary vs Den

Note I'm rolling with Dell and Stroud already but Denver's def seems a little better these days, especially against WRs. So I'm leaning Swift right now but I have trouble with playing tough matchups when I have good options. I don't think Singletary is the bell cow of weeks 10 and 11 but Swift doesn't really get alot of TDs either. Who do you like?

I'll start.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

* LAC @NE -- NE tanking.
* ATL @NYJ -- Tim Boyle.

Thanks
Miami's matchup is good enough to not go looking elsewhere, especially if you are not in a must win situation. If you believe DEF is a Random number generator, then it makes no sense. I don't believe that - matching up against bad QB's and points allowed, and sacks are somewhat predictable. I mean yds and TDs for WRs and RBs are unpredictable too. Anyway, Miami has good matchups the next three weeks and if you can't get them back, I wouldnt risk it. I thought TB and ATL had nice matchups too this week.
Thanks much.

I don't believe it either.

I'm holding Miami regardless, but I only have one other player to drop for one of these other Defenses. So if Miami is as good as the other options, I can use this roster spot to satisfy another need...which is what I'm leaning towards.

Also, I'm also holding the CLE D that has matchups of CHI (week 15) and the Jets (week 17). So I'm loathe to pick up a third D right now.

* LAC @NE -- NE tanking.
* ATL @NYJ -- Tim Boyle.

Thanks
Personally I am targeting Roschon well above those other options. He had something like 74% of the snaps compared to 21% for Herbert. They may have decided to see if the rookie can take the pressure. I wasn't sold on him as a runner last night but I did like the way he caught the ball, he seemed very fluid and, if you're in a PPR it seems the short passing game is a big piece of the offense.

Not sure what people see in D'Ernest Johnson. He had a nice catch and run and not much else. I read a comment in the WW thread about him having a history of late season fantasy success and I couldn't find it. A big game in week 18 last season when he was in maybe 0.01% of fantasy lineups is hardly convincing. If you have Etienne he may have value otherwise I'm looking at Roschon.

My Weekly do I really believe in Breece Hall dilemma....

Note: this is essentially a walkover week, playing the team 12th in scoring (I'm 2nd.) If I manage to lose this week I might retire. Dude has 7 players on a bye, he's starting Michael Carter.

Flex:
  • Breece Hall v ATL (OL, Tim Boyle, general malaise)
  • Jaylen Warren v ARI (new playcallers, fumbled last week)
  • Zack Moss at TEN (zombie RB will be the workhorse for 2-3 weeks)

Also....

WR3: Chris Olave will almost surely miss the Detroit game. He is in the protocol, his 3rd in concussion in the last few years. My options:
  • red hot Jayden Reed v KC
  • rookie A.T. Perry v DET
TE:
  • Sam LaPorta at NO (autostart, right? right?)
  • David Njoku at LAR (touchdown + 2 pt gave LaPorta the edge last week but the CLE TE has been on a tear)

Note: this is essentially a walkover week, playing the team 12th in scoring (I'm 2nd.) If I manage to lose this week I might retire. Dude has 7 players on a bye, he's starting Michael Carter.

Flex:

Also....

WR3: Chris Olave will almost surely miss the Detroit game. He is in the protocol, his 3rd in concussion in the last few years. My options:
TE:
  • David Njoku at LAR (touchdown + 2 pt gave LaPorta the edge last week but the CLE TE has been on a tear)

Hall
Reed
Laporta

Trade question. PPR league.

I've been trying to sell R. Mostert for weeks. And a good thing I didn't. This is the last week to either sell or go all in as my deadline is Friday. Two deals I'm looking for opinions on, one where I go all in on the Miami backfield or sell Mostert. Deals:

Deal 1:

* Sell Z. Charbonnet
* Get D. Achane

Reasoning: I secure the Miami backfield in case of injury (and I have Wilson now), add ceiling for the playoffs, and sell Z. Charbonnett now (K. Walker looks to be out), before Walker gets back and also before a horrendous schedule kicks in @DAL, @SF, PHI, TN, PIT.

The Achane is currently starting him, but he's iffy as we know. He's also desperate for a win and Charbonnet is projected to score more points. And he owns K. Walker so he'd be securing the SEA backfield.

I'd have two backs from the same backfield now - DET (Gibbs, Monty) and MIA (Mostert, Achane)

Deal 2)

* Sell R. Mostert
* Get: J. Cook

Cook seems to have the more favorable playoff schedule (DAL, @LAC, NE) vs. Mosterts (NYJ, DAL, @BALT). That said, this may be swapping one headache for another as Cook has to deal with L. Murray and Ty Johnson.

My other RBs:

* Kyren Williams, J. Gibbs, D. Montgomery, R. Mostert (Z. Charbonnett, T. Spears, J. Wilson, R. Johnson)

I've pretty much secured a top 4 playoff seed and could grab #1 so this is all about playoff positioning.

Which one makes more sense? Or just stand pat?

Thanks

Last edited:
Playoffs! Byes! Injuries! OH MY!

FFPC scoring:

Need TWO flexes:

T.Lockett @ Dall(tough matchup,offense struggling)
C.Samuel vs Mia(getting looks,will it continue?)
C.Otton vs Car(sneaky play vs bad defense?)

I'll start.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

I’d go with either Ridley or Levis. Probably Ridley ever so slightly, although I’ve never played in a SF league.

1 point PPR

Need to start 2

Charbonnet at Dallas
Henry vs Indy
Diontae vs Arizona
Warren vs Arizona
Singletary vs Denver

.5 PPR

Need 1

Lockett at Dallas
Cooks vs Seattle
Ingram Vs Cinci
Higgins at Jax

Leaning Cooks

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'll start.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

In the 5 games Zay Jones has played Ridley has scored 20.10, 4.20, 17.10, 27.60, 19.40 (in half PPR)

It seems Zay has made it through last week and will be playing this week, for me that means Ridley is a start 🤓

WR - Drake London

Cowboys DST
49ers DST

I must be one of the few who isn't particularly high on Charbonnet but, since you only have four RBs on your roster I guess you have to keep him.

I can see getting rid of one defense and that probably should be the Cowboys but it would be nice if you could do it after this week.

Of the other options I might consider cutting bait on Lockett. I don't see a scenario where he starts over any of your other options and Seattle looks done IMO.

WR - Drake London

Cowboys DST
49ers DST

Can you drop players that played AFTER the Thursday game like on Yahoo? If so I would wait to see how the SEA vs DAL game goes and drop Charbonnet or Lockett

Trade question. PPR league.

I've been trying to sell R. Mostert for weeks. And a good thing I didn't. This is the last week to either sell or go all in as my deadline is Friday. Two deals I'm looking for opinions on, one where I go all in on the Miami backfield or sell Mostert. Deals:

Deal 1:

* Sell Z. Charbonnet
* Get D. Achane

Reasoning: I secure the Miami backfield in case of injury (and I have Wilson now), add ceiling for the playoffs, and sell Z. Charbonnett now (K. Walker looks to be out), before Walker gets back and also before a horrendous schedule kicks in @DAL, @SF, PHI, TN, PIT.

The Achane is currently starting him, but he's iffy as we know. He's also desperate for a win and Charbonnet is projected to score more points. And he owns K. Walker so he'd be securing the SEA backfield.

I'd have two backs from the same backfield now - DET (Gibbs, Monty) and MIA (Mostert, Achane)

Deal 2)

* Sell R. Mostert
* Get: J. Cook

Cook seems to have the more favorable playoff schedule (DAL, @LAC, NE) vs. Mosterts (NYJ, DAL, @BALT). That said, this may be swapping one headache for another as Cook has to deal with L. Murray and Ty Johnson.

My other RBs:

* Kyren Williams, J. Gibbs, D. Montgomery, R. Mostert (Z. Charbonnett, T. Spears, J. Wilson, R. Johnson)

I've pretty much secured a top 4 playoff seed and could grab #1 so this is all about playoff positioning.

Which one makes more sense? Or just stand pat?

Thanks

Deal #1 "Achane for Charbs" easily for me. Secures the Dolphins running game, plus Seattle's playoff schedule is just effing brutal. With the Detroit backs and Williams on board, are you even gonna use Charbs failing multiple injuries? Highly unlikely.

Don't see the point of Cooks over Mostert. Both still have to face Dallas. Each guy has a couple lousy matchups left, and Miami's running game is >> than Buffalo's.

I'll start.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

Id probably start Ridley but Levis would be tempting vs a weak pass defense.

0.5 PPR

Calvin Ridley vs Bengals
Puka Nacua vs Browns
Nico Collins vs Broncos

These 4 seem like a no brainer

or

Which?

Thanks
I lean Carr. Hes usually good for 300 yards passing just can never punch it into the end zone. This should be high scoring game.

Flex:

Also....

TE:
Id go Warren, Reed, LaPorta

I'll start.

D. Ridder @ NYJ
W. Levis v IND
J. Ford @ LAR
R.Rice v GBP
C. Ridley v CIN

I’d keep rolling with Ridley. Seems like they are trying to get him involved.

I need to win to lock up a bye. Who should I go with at TE in half PPR? Logan Thomas (vs MIA) or Taysom Hill (vs DET)?

I’d have to spend FAAB to get Hill, and probably a pretty penny since 3 owners are starting Otton, Everett and Kraft. Thomas also has a bye next week, but Likely is a FA at the moment.

In this week's episode of..."Who's My WR2?"

D.Johnson/Pit v Ari
J.Downs/Ind @Ten
B.Cooks/Dal v Sea (Thu)

1ppr pick one

It's a good match up for Downs. Both Johnson and Downs got their typical snaps and targets last week (but didn't do much with them). I read that Cooks is WR7 over the last 6 weeks, but it's heavily TD dependent (3 or 4 catches on 4 or 5 targets usually).

I'm leaning Downs, but want to play Cooks...

I need to win to lock up a bye. Who should I go with at TE in half PPR? Logan Thomas (vs MIA) or Taysom Hill (vs DET)?

I’d have to spend FAAB to get Hill, and probably a pretty penny since 3 owners are starting Otton, Everett and Kraft. Thomas also has a bye next week, but Likely is a FA at the moment.
Hill...added benefit block the other guys

WR - Drake London

Cowboys DST
49ers DST

I must be one of the few who isn't particularly high on Charbonnet but, since you only have four RBs on your roster I guess you have to keep him.

I can see getting rid of one defense and that probably should be the Cowboys but it would be nice if you could do it after this week.

Of the other options I might consider cutting bait on Lockett. I don't see a scenario where he starts over any of your other options and Seattle looks done IMO.
Well, if I drop Charbonnet I would still have 4 active RB's, since Kyren Williams would take his spot. I can drop Charbonnet tonight and he will be available for pickup next week if I really want him. Just would stink since I already spent decent FAAB to pick him up.

I agree about dropping Cowboys after this week, but I need them this week. I guess I could just ride it out with Kyren still on IR, but I'd really like to have him in the lineup for this week.

One more win either this week or next week and I clinch a 1st round bye. Only problem is I am underdog both weeks.

or

Which?

Thanks
I lean Carr. Hes usually good for 300 yards passing just can never punch it into the end zone. This should be high scoring game.
Even minus his top two WRs?

Id spend the money on Hill. Especially with all the offensive injuries on NO in an expected high scoring game.

* LAC @NE -- NE tanking.
* ATL @NYJ -- Tim Boyle.

Thanks
If adding another D means dropping Miami, don't. Next week Miami plays Tennessee followed by another go at the Jets. Those should be good matchups.

In this week's episode of..."Who's My WR2?"

D.Johnson/Pit v Ari
J.Downs/Ind @Ten
B.Cooks/Dal v Sea (Thu)

1ppr pick one

It's a good match up for Downs. Both Johnson and Downs got their typical snaps and targets last week (but didn't do much with them). I read that Cooks is WR7 over the last 6 weeks, but it's heavily TD dependent (3 or 4 catches on 4 or 5 targets usually).

I'm leaning Downs, but want to play Cooks...
Leaning Diontae. Great matchup. Shouldve had a TD last week. Offense put up 400 yards for first time all season.

0.5 PPR

TE Trey McBride@Pit or
TE Pat Freiermuth vs. Az

Leaning Freiermuth based on matchup

Also Flex - pick 1

Deandre Swift vs SF
Nico Collins vs Den
Devin Singletary vs Den

Note I'm rolling with Dell and Stroud already but Denver's def seems a little better these days, especially against WRs. So I'm leaning Swift right now but I have trouble with playing tough matchups when I have good options. I don't think Singletary is the bell cow of weeks 10 and 11 but Swift doesn't really get alot of TDs either. Who do you like?
First one is tough on the surface but I don't see how you bench Freiermuth this week. Not with that matchup and coming off last week.

For your second one Singletary seems like the guy I'd bench, at least on the surface. His usage last week was concerning for sure but his snap share was still strong at 82%.

Denver is a much better team over their win streak but they are still last against the run, in my league, over that span giving up about 10 more points per game than the Niners to opposing RBs. Over that same span they are 4th best against opposing WRs but I wouldn't bench Nico.

I guess the numbers suggest you should bench Swift.

Users who are viewing this thread