What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you consider an "overly expensive" couple's vacation? (1 Viewer)

What would you consider an "overly expensive" couple's vacation? (Assume one week - all costs includ

• $1,000 (~$145/nt)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $2,000 (~$285/nt)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • $3,000 (~$430/nt)

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • $4,000 (~$570/nt)

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • $5,000 (~$715/nt)

Votes: 49 27.4%
  • $6,000 (~$860/nt)

Votes: 32 17.9%
  • $7,000 (~$1,000/nt)

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • $8,000+ (+$1,145/nt)

Votes: 33 18.4%

• Total voters
You'd have to watch your budget to spend a week in Hawaii for $5,000, but could live lavishly with $5,000 for a week on the beach in Mexico.
Just went to Kauai and spent about ~4k for 8 days.  Food/gas/hotels are pretty expensive there.  That includes using miles for the flight and points for about half the hotel.  Take away the points and it comes out to about 5k/7 days kind of rate.   So your number is about right, I think.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Straight $$ isn't a good metric.  Go by % of income.  I think 5% is that line, but i haven't thought about it.

Oh, and tell your sister to shut up and go back to her cardboard box.
you want to spend 5% of your gross income on a vacation on a regular basis?  

Surprised that no one has brought up the battle of the sexes budget allocation rules . . .

If it's someplace she really wants to go, a potential budget for a 7-day outing could be $10K+. If it's someplace I want to go, I get a lot of attitude and a 7-day budget of $1,500. Usually, her trips could be planned for less money than allocated and my destinations can't be realistically completed for only $1,500. Of course, that's how we end up going where she wants to go way more.

That part aside, everyone has different circumstances. We had 4 kids in college until this year. Big expensive trips haven't really been in the budget in recent years.

As long as other items in the budget are attended to, 5% allocated annually for vacations doesn't seem too bad.

Surprised that no one has brought up the battle of the sexes budget allocation rules . . .

If it's someplace she really wants to go, a potential budget for a 7-day outing could be $10K+. If it's someplace I want to go, I get a lot of attitude and a 7-day budget of $1,500. Usually, her trips could be planned for less money than allocated and my destinations can't be realistically completed for only $1,500. Of course, that's how we end up going where she wants to go way more.

That part aside, everyone has different circumstances. We had 4 kids in college until this year. Big expensive trips haven't really been in the budget in recent years.
Lol - I have the other problem.  While my wife is very good with budgeting and frugal sometimes She is just cheap.

Things will be like I can get A,B,C   for 3K    but if we want A to be a Suite it will be an extra 300 for the week.

I will then say is it really a difference between 3,000 or 3,300.    :lol:    If its only an extra 300 bucks for the nicer option go for it.  There is obviously a line somewhere but 300 is not it  :)

Voted 6000+... Here was how I broke down my math..

$1000 flights ($500 per person)

$1400 hotel ($200 a night)

$1050 food ($150 per day x 7.  Could probably reduce that a bit as you aren't going to spend as much on the travel days on food, but allows for some wiggle room)

$1050 booze ($150 per day x 7.. The wife and I like to drink)

Totals $4500.  Add in a little bit extra for excursions/entertainment and the countless gifts my wife will buy for "the kids" and $5,500 is probably fair for 7 days.

That being said, if you are doing an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean or something like that, I assume it should cost significantly less because you are limited to their choices.

All out of pocked = $5,500 

All inclusive = $4000

I don't think you can judge a vacation cost as a whole as overly expensive. The flight costs what it costs. I live in a major hub on the east coast, and getting to Europe costs $1,000. Anything less than that is gravy. 

To me, overly expensive comes into play with the lodging. $200 per night seems to be the sweet spot for a nice 4 star hotel in Europe. Just booked one in Amsterdam and Berlin; both beautiful hotels right in the middle of where you want to be for $200/night. Anything beyond that, imo, is overly expensive. We booked on in Florence a few years ago for $400/night and while it was lovely and my wife's favorite hotel ever, it was a little much.

Users who are viewing this thread