What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When will Megatron start scoring like Megatron? (1 Viewer)

This thread is stupid. There are probably 30 quarterbacks in the NFL playing better than Stafford and Johnson is still putting up the stats he's been putting up. WR9 without a touchdown? Who's complaining about that?

'Maui Monster said:
Next 6 games against. Chicago, Seattle, Jax, Min, GB, Houston. 4 out of those 6 are very tough defenses. GB can be tough at times. So next 6 weeks he will turn it around when Stafford may be running for his life?
Turn it around? He's averaging close to 112 yards a game. He's just missed on a few TDs. The big games are coming.
Look the whole premise here is most people drafted Calvin Johnson with the expectation that he would be head and shoulders above every other WR in scoring. Myself? I play in an auction draft. So I spent a lot more on Calvin. So when he does not produce like 2 WR in my lineup then expectations are not met. And what is your reasoning that big games are coming? Is this sheer optimism?

This thread is stupid. There are probably 30 quarterbacks in the NFL playing better than Stafford and Johnson is still putting up the stats he's been putting up. WR9 without a touchdown? Who's complaining about that?
This post is stupid??? Read the thread man. No one and I mean no one drafted CJ with the thought he would be WR 9. He is not living up to his draft position.

Last edited by a moderator:
'kutta said:
Why are do people insist there is nothing to be concerned with? The guy was drafted as the #1 WR BY FAR this year. And he's scored one TD through almost half of the fantasy football regular season.It's like if Arian Foster and Ray Rice were down around the likes of CJ Spiller and Steven Ridley in the rankings. It wouldn't be horrible, but it is not what you want to see from the guy you have ranked far and a away the number one guy.It doesn't matter if it's Stafford's fault, the o-line's fault, or if it's the way D's are playing him. The point is that he is not getting it done from a fantasy perspective this year, and who's fault it is doesn't matter.
:goodposting: Exactly how I feel.

This post is stupid. Read the thread man. No one and I mean no one drafted CJ with the thought he would be WR 9. He is not living up to his draft position.
Ok. He will finish the season with no touchdowns and WR9.

Never, last year was a fluke. He was never going to match his TD's numbers.It has never happened in the NFL. EVER.
This.
Not sure I understand. While rare by all accounts, that type of season did happen. Maybe just not realistic for same player to repeat such gaudy seasons.Randy Moss 2007http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm?mobile=falseJerry Rice 89, and early 90's (freaking amazing every time I look at those stats!)http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm

Never, last year was a fluke. He was never going to match his TD's numbers.It has never happened in the NFL. EVER.
This.
Not sure I understand. While rare by all accounts, that type of season did happen. Maybe just not realistic for same player to repeat such gaudy seasons.Randy Moss 2007http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm?mobile=falseJerry Rice 89, and early 90's (freaking amazing every time I look at those stats!)http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm
Ok. I should have taken the time to say 'This. Although technically it's happened a couple times before.' Clearly the point is that last year was an outlier.

This.
Ok. I should have taken the time to say 'This. Although technically it's happened a couple times before.' Clearly the point is that last year was an outlier.
Wasn't he drafted as WR1 to be a top 3 receiver? He doesn't need to score 16 touchdowns to finish as a top 3 receiver. Obviously, you hope he's the best receiver but anybody who doesn't take the field against him to finish as WR1 before the season is delusional. He's averaging 19 points a game in PPR (no fractions) as WR6 with ONE TOUCHDOWN. He had 8 TDs in his first 4 games last year, who thought he'd finish with 32? He has one touchdown through five games, who thinks he'll finish with 3? Sorry, this thread is stupid.

This.
Are you saying that Calvin Johnson does not match up with Rice and Moss?

This.
And Calvin Johnson is not an outlier?
People aren't outliers. Statistics are. He is the best in the game. But his production last year was very high, even for him. Anyone who assumed last year was his new norm (and not his ceiling) is probably very mad right now.

Never, last year was a fluke. He was never going to match his TD's numbers.

It has never happened in the NFL. EVER.
This.
Not sure I understand. While rare by all accounts, that type of season did happen. Maybe just not realistic for same player to repeat such gaudy seasons.Randy Moss 2007

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm?mobile=false

Jerry Rice 89, and early 90's (freaking amazing every time I look at those stats!)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RiceJe00.htm
:lmao: :lmao:

In our league, he is the 5th highest scoring WR/RB in points per game, behind AJ Green, Reggie Wayne, Ray Rice and Wes Welker. I drafted him at #4, so he's performing about to draft position.

In our league, he is the 5th highest scoring WR/RB in points per game, behind AJ Green, Reggie Wayne, Ray Rice and Wes Welker. I drafted him at #4, so he's performing about to draft position.
Did you expect 3 WR's to be ahead of him in scoring? Was AJ, Wayne, and Welker drafted 1,2,3? I don't think so. So he was drafted as the #1 WR off board and he is not. I would say he is not performing up to draft position at all.

Yes and I'm sure everyone who took Johnson over Rodgers (QB3), McFadden (RB18), Chris Johnson (RB23454) and Jimmy Graham (TE5) are kicking themselves right now.

Did you expect 3 WR's to be ahead of him in scoring? Was AJ, Wayne, and Welker drafted 1,2,3? I don't think so. So he was drafted as the #1 WR off board and he is not. I would say he is not performing up to draft position at all.
:lol: That statement is beyond ridiculous.

No I didn't. I also didn't expect Greg Zeuerlein to be ahead of him in scoring; perhaps I should have pulled Legatron at 1.04.The point I'm looking at is comparables to who was generally being drafted in the top end of the draft. In ppg, here is how Johnson compares:Foster +3.7Rice (-2.1)McCoy +4.5McFadden +7.4Knowing what I know now, I would have drafted Robert Griffin here. But in terms of who was available, I am not displeased at this point at how Johnson is performing. Obviously, others are

For those of you who don't see what the problem is, let me ask you. If you were drafting today, would you draft Calvin as one of the top five picks in the draft? Would you even draft him as the #1 WR?

For those of you who don't see what the problem is, let me ask you. If you were drafting today, would you draft Calvin as one of the top five picks in the draft? Would you even draft him as the #1 WR?
What do you think the odds were before the season that at this point there wouldn't be five players more valuable than Calvin Johnson? You draft him there because he has a better chance of being top 5 than most but mostly because he has the best chance of being ELITE. He is still ELITE. He was drafted there because he was low risk and the fact that he's WR5 with ONLY ONE TOUCHDOWN proves that.

What do you think the odds were before the season that at this point there wouldn't be five players more valuable than Calvin Johnson? You draft him there because he has the best chance of being top 5 than most but mostly because has the best chance of being ELITE. He is still ELITE. He was drafted there because he was low risk and the fact that he's WR5 with ONLY ONE TOUCHDOWN proves that.
Where are you getting this WR5 stuff from? That is one scoring system. I am PPR league and he is WR 9

What do you think the odds were before the season that at this point there wouldn't be five players more valuable than Calvin Johnson? You draft him there because he has the best chance of being top 5 than most but mostly because has the best chance of being ELITE. He is still ELITE. He was drafted there because he was low risk and the fact that he's WR5 with ONLY ONE TOUCHDOWN proves that.
Where are you getting this WR5 stuff from? That is one scoring system. I am PPR league and he is WR 9
Average. He's had his bye and many haven't. You're going to do total points after week 6? :lol:

Even if he starts stinking it up, which he won't, you would still have to give up half of your team to get him. I'd love to trade for him, though.

What do you think the odds were before the season that at this point there wouldn't be five players more valuable than Calvin Johnson? You draft him there because he has a better chance of being top 5 than most but mostly because he has the best chance of being ELITE. He is still ELITE. He was drafted there because he was low risk and the fact that he's WR5 with ONLY ONE TOUCHDOWN proves that.
You didn't answer the question.

Yes I will draft him top WR next year.

That's because it's not relevant. You don't draft Calvin Johnson thinking that it's likely (very possible? yes) he'd finish as a top 5 RB/WR. You draft him because the worst case scenario he puts up the stats he's been putting up. The original thread question was "When will Megatron start scoring like Megatron?". The answer is, "he has been." He's averaging 19 points in PPR without one single digit point performance. I don't understand the thread because the real question is, "Out of the players drafted right after Calvin Johnson, who are you upset about that you didn't draft in lieu of him?" McFadden, Chris Johnson, Brady, Graham, Murray, Newton, Forte? The next guy who can be considered more valuable than him going forward is Charles (Forte maybe) and I don't think there are many who considered him a top 7 pick. Next year, if you'd like to give me even odds that the consensus top 5 pick won't be top 5 through 6 weeks, I'd love to take you up on it.

Next 6 games against. Chicago, Seattle, Jax, Min, GB, Houston. 4 out of those 6 are very tough defenses. GB can be tough at times. So next 6 weeks he will turn it around when Stafford may be running for his life?
Turn it around? He's averaging close to 112 yards a game. He's just missed on a few TDs. The big games are coming.
Look the whole premise here is most people drafted Calvin Johnson with the expectation that he would be head and shoulders above every other WR in scoring. Myself? I play in an auction draft. So I spent a lot more on Calvin. So when he does not produce like 2 WR in my lineup then expectations are not met. And what is your reasoning that big games are coming? Is this sheer optimism?
Talent, science and law of probabilities/ ascension to the mean

This post is stupid. Read the thread man. No one and I mean no one drafted CJ with the thought he would be WR 9. He is not living up to his draft position.
Good posting for myopic owners in 5 team leagues. Should have drafted McFadden or CJ 2k .Complaining about your wr 1 being a wr even with only 1TD. Hilarious.

Laughable shnikes. 30 qbs playing better? :no:Season Wasn't a Fluke By Zach Kruse (Featured Columnist) on October 20, 2012 830 reads 4 Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more storiesNextRich Schultz/Getty ImagesDetroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford may not be putting up the kind of overall numbers in 2012 that he did last season, but at least he has showed his 5,000-yard season a year ago was no fluke. Through five games in 2012, Stafford has thrown for 1,493 yards, and his 16-game pace is good for 4,778 yards. Stafford needs to average 318.8 yards over the final 11 games to once again hit the 5,000-yard mark. His current per-game average of 298.6 is good for fourth-best in the NFL. A year ago, Stafford became just the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for 5,000 yards in a single season. His 5,038 yards were the fifth most ever, trailing only Drew Brees in 2008 (5,069), Dan Marino in 1984 (5,084), Tom Brady in 2011 (5,235) and Brees in 2011 (5,476). His 314.9 passing yards a game also set a franchise record.However, Stafford has come under fire to start the 2012 season, mainly because his Lions are just 2-3 and Stafford's other passing numbers are below the pace he set last season. Stafford's mechanics have come under fire. Joe Robbins/Getty ImagesStafford is completing 62.4 percent of his passes in 2012, down from 63.5 last season. His touchdown-to-interception ratio has went from 41-16 in 2011 to just 4-5 this season, and Stafford is gaining fewer yards per completion (7.6 in 2011, 6.8 in 2012). As a result, the Lions offensive output has suffered. After averaging the fourth-most points per game in the NFL last season with 29.6, Detroit has dropped to 25.2 a game—good for 14th in the NFL in 2012.At least one NFL film junkie feels that Stafford's mechanics are to blame for the drop-off in production. Speaking with Adam Caplan on his weekly "Fantasy Guru" podcast, NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell called Stafford's mechanics this season "atrocious." It was a stinging criticism from one of the more highly respected film analysts in the business. However, Stafford has always been a quarterback who uses different arm slots and angles in order to fit passes into tight windows or create passing lanes. Stafford's offensive coordinator said as much this week. Scott Linehan, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, stated:He’s always had different throwing angles. Sometimes it’s to get under some tall reach of a guy and throw sidearm, sometimes it’s just because of slowing down the delivery like a pitcher does on an off-speed pitch or something. There’s reasons for it and you would never coach that out of him. He’s been effective with that and done a great job.Also, keep in mind that Stafford overcame some mechanics issues and a finger injury during the middle of last season to explode over the final five games of the season. After tossing nine interceptions during Weeks 10-13, Stafford responded by throwing for 1,919 yards over the final five games. Stafford's 383.8 passing yards a game during that stretch was the best five-game mark for any Lions quarterback in franchise history. He also threw 15 interceptions against just three interceptions during that span. The schedule also looks favorable for Stafford to approach 5,000 yards. Over the final 11 games, Detroit plays Chicago twice, Seattle, Minnesota, Houston and Arizona. Each game represents a difficult task for the Lions to run the football, meaning Stafford will be called upon frequently to win with the passing game. Stafford may not replicate his touchdown numbers from 2011 this season, and the Lions may not win 10 games with him under center. But despite some of Stafford's early struggles, his ability to be productive yardage-wise remains elite in the NFL. Stafford should come close to adding another season to the history of 5,000-yard passers in 2012.

He won't have more than 50 yards this week. The Bears will shut him down.
The bears secondary is not significantly better than the Vikings or eagles... The only thing that will shut him down is Stafford.
A man named Peanut Tillman won't let him out of his sights all night long. Gonna be a loooong day for Calvin. He is about to be dominated.
Oh okay.... I guess he's going to lock him down one on one... Good luck with that.
i think that Tillman had success against him last year - but they have been putting CJ in the slot alot more, so he will see multiple guys.
I guess 7 for 81 is success against megatron...
how many targets?and how many of those catches were against tillman?

He won't have more than 50 yards this week. The Bears will shut him down.
The bears secondary is not significantly better than the Vikings or eagles... The only thing that will shut him down is Stafford.
A man named Peanut Tillman won't let him out of his sights all night long. Gonna be a loooong day for Calvin. He is about to be dominated.
Oh okay.... I guess he's going to lock him down one on one... Good luck with that.
i think that Tillman had success against him last year - but they have been putting CJ in the slot alot more, so he will see multiple guys.
I guess 7 for 81 is success against megatron...
how many targets?and how many of those catches were against tillman?
18 targets . . .

I'm not watching this game but looking at the numbers. Is Stafford just crapping the bed again with his accuracy? Maybe Calvin would do better with Shaun Hill in there.

'tsarc888 said:
I'm not watching this game but looking at the numbers. Is Stafford just crapping the bed again with his accuracy? Maybe Calvin would do better with Shaun Hill in there.
Staff overthrew him a couple times for sure.

I'm not an owner but I do know that Calvin is WR20 in my scoring system. Should be an interesting week of discussion and vultures trying to buy low.

That's because it's not relevant. You don't draft Calvin Johnson thinking that it's likely (very possible? yes) he'd finish as a top 5 RB/WR. You draft him because the worst case scenario he puts up the stats he's been putting up. The original thread question was "When will Megatron start scoring like Megatron?". The answer is, "he has been." He's averaging 19 points in PPR without one single digit point performance. I don't understand the thread because the real question is, "Out of the players drafted right after Calvin Johnson, who are you upset about that you didn't draft in lieu of him?" McFadden, Chris Johnson, Brady, Graham, Murray, Newton, Forte? The next guy who can be considered more valuable than him going forward is Charles (Forte maybe) and I don't think there are many who considered him a top 7 pick. Next year, if you'd like to give me even odds that the consensus top 5 pick won't be top 5 through 6 weeks, I'd love to take you up on it.
Calvin owner here. Let me clarify...VERY disappointed Calvin owner here. Regardless where his season long stats end up, and yes, the expectation was he'd finish #1, not 9 or even 5, the thing people haven't gotten out of him are those huge games that win you a week almost single-handedly. I think that's what missing. Top picks are supposed to be able to do that a few times a year and it just hasn't happened.

Remember the slow starts of harvin and roddy last year and how they crushed the second half and won people titles? It's coming. Last night the lions were bad overall. Td catch broken up, bad throws, turnovers. Calvin will get his.

Exactly.Imagine targeting the 9th best WR with your first pick in a draft.

Remember the slow starts of harvin and roddy last year and how they crushed the second half and won people titles? It's coming. Last night the lions were bad overall. Td catch broken up, bad throws, turnovers. Calvin will get his.
In the meantime... I needed 7 pts to win from Megatron last night. 3 catches 34 yards he got me 6. It may be too late when he starts producing. And as I said the schedule does not look favorable for Stafford and his leaky line to allow him to have time. Now I may have to wait 1 more game to trade him. Value has for sure dropped.

Users who are viewing this thread