What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team would score more? (1 Viewer)

Which team scores more?

• Baseball team in baseball game

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Hockey team in hockey game

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters
No pro pitcher or hitter vs no pro goalie or skaters?  A pro baseball team could just pack the defense and stay around the goal.  A pro hockey team trying to pitch would give up 10-20 per inning. 

Baseball team by a mile. 

I think many of you are vastly underestimating how difficult it would be for the hockey teams pitcher to throw strikes.  As someone pointed out, the baseball team could score a ton of runs without even swinging the bat.  If the best guy on the team can't throw strikes then after his arm is shot 50 pitches in let's see what pitcher #2 and then #3.  With no clock they're ####ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not one baseball player would be standing after about 2 minutes.  I think you've neglected to consider the impact of full contact in hockey.  
Ya, if they played the hockey game first, and followed it the next day with the baseball game, I'd go with the hockey team.   Baseball players are a bunch of ####ies, and they'd all be in the hospital after the hockey game.

otherwise, baseball team runs away with it.

Exactly, even in homerun derbys and batting practice guys are hitting  balls that are outs.
This home run derby comparison makes zero sense since all they're trying to do there is hit the ball 500 feet.

If the only purpose is to score runs, pretty sure they shift swinging strategie. 

There's no clock in baseball.
Right, that both would be blood baths. I mean, can you imagine Miguel Cabrera trying to skate around after Sidney Crosby, might as well put me out there. Crosby would be able to skate through the entire team and score with his eyes closed, wouldn't even need teammates. On the other hand, can you imagine Crosby trying to throwing a strike that Cabrera couldn't launch into outer space, it would be a straight up homerun derby. The fact that homerun derby could in theory never end, gives a clear advantage to baseball. 

The key here is this: are the teams aware that the goal is to score more than the other overall? If they know that, the baseball team could just put everyone around the net and not even attempt to do anything but obstruct the goal area. That should keep the goals down a bit. However, if the hockey team decides to sit back and rip slap shots, that won't be a sustainable strategy. I don't think there is anyway for a hockey to employ any sort of defensive strategy. 

I don't know what the record for goals in a hockey game is, but the skaters in this scenario would break it (& it would be a shutout).

That said, the hockey team wouldn't score either (all would most likely either strike out or maybe hit a weak grounder every few innings) and the MLB team would score 100s of runs.

Baseball is my passion and I am one of those people that argues baseball players are more incredible athletes then they are given credit for, even the fat ones.

They would have no chance against hockey players on ice. None. The athletic skill to skate at professional levels alone is immense, and then add to it the ability to play a sport on top of it.... that allows contact...

Random hockey v random baseball, I'd say hockey wins 10 out of 10. If you manage to find MLB guys that can skate maybe they win 2 or 3 of those 10.

ETA... read it a little wrong, I'll take my lumps. I see the devil in the details. I'd still think the hockey guys can do it.  

Baseball is my passion and I am one of those people that argues baseball players are more incredible athletes then they are given credit for, even the fat ones.

They would have no chance against hockey players on ice. None. The athletic skill to skate at professional levels alone is immense, and then add to it the ability to play a sport on top of it.... that allows contact...

Random hockey v random baseball, I'd say hockey wins 10 out of 10. If you manage to find MLB guys that can skate maybe they win 2 or 3 of those 10.

ETA... read it a little wrong, I'll take my lumps. I see the devil in the details. I'd still think the hockey guys can do it.  
You think the hockey guys can get 27 outs before the MLB team scores ~100?

The baseball team would probably never have to swing the bat.  The hockey team might not have a single player who could get the ball over the plate consistently enough.  They would just keep walking in runs.

Most baseball players can't skate and even if they can they aren't skating anywhere near the level of a high school player let alone an NHL player. If you can't skate you aren't blocking shots. And if you are laying on one another (NTTAWWT) you are exposing your side and will stay there for exactly one shot before abandoning that approach. Therefore, hockey players are basically playing against nobody. Literally they would score at will until time expired.  I will grant the time limits or lack threreof favors baseball but in terms of athleticism and difficulty of the sport this isn't close.  If playing a full game the hockey team would score at least once every twenty seconds meaning 180 goals as the floor. 

You think the hockey guys can get 27 outs before the MLB team scores ~100?
I don't. They wouldn't get 3 outs playing by MLB rules before the ballplayers scored 100. Whoever was pitching would walk a bazillion guys, or slow-pitch it over the plate where someone like Trout would send it into the stratosphere.

Don't get me wrong - the MLB guys would get slaughtered in hockey. But the way the games are set up, the MLBers would keep scoring in the 1st inning and never stop.

I don't. They wouldn't get 3 outs playing by MLB rules before the ballplayers scored 100. Whoever was pitching would walk a bazillion guys, or slow-pitch it over the plate where someone like Trout would send it into the stratosphere.

Don't get me wrong - the MLB guys would get slaughtered in hockey. But the way the games are set up, the MLBers would keep scoring in the 1st inning and never stop.
Agreed.

The baseball team would probably never have to swing the bat.  The hockey team might not have a single player who could get the ball over the plate consistently enough.  They would just keep walking in runs.
this is bs.   it's not that hard to throw a strike. 

You guys are crazy thinking NHLers could not pitch a strike:

Anders Lee - New York Islanders: In 2009, he was an All-State quarterback at Edina High School in Minnesota, and the year prior was an All-State pitcher for the school's baseball team.

Jarome Iginla - Colorado Avalanche: However, there was a time Iginla also excelled at baseball, a sport he loved growing up. He had brief stints as pitcher and shortstop

Jamie Benn - Dallas Stars: Benn, similar to Iginla, was a very talented baseball player. He played first base, outfield, and occasionally pitched. In 2006, he was named MVP of the provincial AAA champion Victoria Capitals.

These are not MLB-caliber players - but they can throw strikes from a mound.  This would not be a walk-fest...

Anders Lee - New York Islanders: In 2009, he was an All-State quarterback at Edina High School in Minnesota, and the year prior was an All-State pitcher for the school's baseball team.

Jarome Iginla - Colorado Avalanche: However, there was a time Iginla also excelled at baseball, a sport he loved growing up. He had brief stints as pitcher and shortstop

Jamie Benn - Dallas Stars: Benn, similar to Iginla, was a very talented baseball player. He played first base, outfield, and occasionally pitched. In 2006, he was named MVP of the provincial AAA champion Victoria Capitals.

These are not MLB-caliber players - but they can throw strikes from a mound.  This would not be a walk-fest...
Exactly.  A lot of people won't want to hear his but hockey is a sport that by the age of 14 the dye is usually cast on whether a kid even has a chance to play college. Baseball is a sport that by age 14 some MLB players have not even played seriously yet. There's just no comparison. 

Anyone picking hockey team is seriously underestimating the amount of coordination it takes to hit a baseball.

The pitchers of the baseball team will be throwing all kinds of movement as well. The hockey team likely wouldn't have a clue how to throw anything but a fastball. The baseball hitters would tee up.

On the opposite end, those pads are so massive as a hockey goalie in front of a tiny net, I still couldn't see the real hockey team score more than 10-12 tops.

Anyone picking hockey team is seriously underestimating the amount of coordination it takes to hit a baseball.

The pitchers of the baseball team will be throwing all kinds of movement as well. The hockey team likely wouldn't have a clue how to throw anything but a fastball. The baseball hitters would tee up.

On the opposite end, those pads are so massive as a hockey goalie in front of a tiny net, I still couldn't see the real hockey team score more than 7 or 8 tops.
:lmao:

On the opposite end, those pads are so massive as a hockey goalie in front of a tiny net, I still couldn't see the real hockey team score more than 10-12 tops.
Perhaps reading the question would be helpful...I think most people picking the hockey team are doing so for precisely that reason.

Batting practice is not really a bunch of homers, and screaming line drives into the corners...

Perhaps reading the question would be helpful...I think most people picking the hockey team are doing so for precisely that reason.

Batting practice is not really a bunch of homers, and screaming line drives into the corners...
I read it just fine. The hockey guys are either walking people or throwing home rum derby fastballs over the middle of the plate.

I took the question as a random NHL team meeting a random MLB team. If you can pick and choose players off various teams, that would be a different story. 

Fair enough. I guess it would depend on the strategy of the baseball guys. If we're going to assume they're playing to win and not play "not to lose" and stack the ice defensively then yeah, they'd probably get whooped.
Their strategy would make zero difference. Hockey team scores between 100-120. The only question is how many pop ups or weak grounders baseball players hit before reaching 27 outs. 

Edit: 100-120 is being conservative.

I read it just fine. The hockey guys are either walking people or throwing home rum derby fastballs over the middle of the plate.

Lets say that is true - go back to the 2014 Home Run Derby - when players had 7 outs to hit as many HRs as they could.  In the first round 10 players hit 36 HRs and 70 outs.  That equates to about 14 HRs per 27 outs...

Now picture MLBers trying to skate.  Now picture them trying to skate backwards.  Now try to picture them doing that in pads and holding a stick.  Now picture them trying to skate for three periods.

They would be exhausted after 1 period, and would concede more goals in that first period than they could score in a 9-inning game against Batting Practice pitching.  And it would get worse in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Nobody is suggesting that NHLers could hit MLB pitching, let alone beat a MLB team - but they can pitch, and they can field.

I don't get all the people thinking nobody can throw strikes.  Figure at least a few of the hockey players played high school ball.  There are rec baseball leagues all over the country with accountants throwing 65-70 over the plate.   Sure they'd get crushed, but there will be some pop-ups along the way.  

Baseball players playing hockey would not only get hurt, but may not even be able to stand up on skates.

its painfully obvious who has never played or watched hockey before. It's the most physically demanding team sport. It's like all out sprinting on blades with other guys trying to hit you then needing to handle a puck and pass or shoot. 

I don't get all the people thinking nobody can throw strikes.  Figure at least a few of the hockey players played high school ball.  There are rec baseball leagues all over the country with accountants throwing 65-70 over the plate.   Sure they'd get crushed, but there will be some pop-ups along the way.  

Baseball players playing hockey would not only get hurt, but may not even be able to stand up on skates.
Throwing strikes would be the worst thing they could do.

I think a more interesting comparison would be NHL/NFL. Baseball has (d)evolved into such a specialized sport

its painfully obvious who has never played or watched hockey before. It's the most physically demanding team sport. It's like all out sprinting on blades with other guys trying to hit you then needing to handle a puck and pass or shoot. 
Doesn't matter - it has a clock and eventually the bloodshed would be over. The MLBers would score in their half an inning from now until doomsday

Throwing strikes would be the worst thing they could do.

I think a more interesting comparison would be NHL/NFL. Baseball has (d)evolved into such a specialized sport
Several posters have claimed the baseball team would score at will through getting walked every at bat.  Apparently the FFA has a lot of posters that can't throw a baseball 60', let alone a ritz cracker.

Their strategy would make zero difference. Hockey team scores between 100-120. The only question is how many pop ups or weak grounders baseball players hit before reaching 27 outs. 

Edit: 100-120 is being conservative.
Agreed.  How long would it take an NHL team to win a face off, make a pass or two and scored at what essentially an empty net?  5 seconds maybe.  Double that and say a goal every 10 seconds.  Maybe the baseball players get lucky and deflect a puck or two every now and then.  Let's say the NHL scores a goal every 20 seconds, which they should easily do that's 60 goals a period or 180 for the game.  I think a motivated group of hockey players could easily put up 200 goals so yeah those saying the MLBers would have 20 run innings are likely correct but they're going to need every last run to out score the NHLers.

Agreed.  How long would it take an NHL team to win a face off, make a pass or two and scored at what essentially an empty net?  5 seconds maybe.  Double that and say a goal every 10 seconds.  Maybe the baseball players get lucky and deflect a puck or two every now and then.  Let's say the NHL scores a goal every 20 seconds, which they should easily do that's 60 goals a period or 180 for the game.  I think a motivated group of hockey players could easily put up 200 goals so yeah those saying the MLBers would have 20 run innings are likely correct but their going to need every last run to out score the NHLers.
20 run innings? More like 200+ and there'd be only one inning before they all aged out

Users who are viewing this thread