What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team would score more? (2 Viewers)

Which team scores more?

• Baseball team in baseball game

Votes: 60 57.1%
  • Hockey team in hockey game

Votes: 45 42.9%

• Total voters
Agreed.  How long would it take an NHL team to win a face off, make a pass or two and scored at what essentially an empty net?  5 seconds maybe.  Double that and say a goal every 10 seconds.  Maybe the baseball players get lucky and deflect a puck or two every now and then.  Let's say the NHL scores a goal every 20 seconds, which they should easily do that's 60 goals a period or 180 for the game.  I think a motivated group of hockey players could easily put up 200 goals so yeah those saying the MLBers would have 20 run innings are likely correct but they're going to need every last run to out score the NHLers.
Probably wouldn't be a baseball player left on the ice halfway thru the 1st period. 

Probably wouldn't be a baseball player left on the ice halfway thru the 1st period. 
It wouldn't matter - the clock would run out.

Manny Machado would go 6,000 for 6,000 with 18,000 RBIs before his grandkids made him quit in the first inning for not playing with them

Agreed.  How long would it take an NHL team to win a face off, make a pass or two and scored at what essentially an empty net?  5 seconds maybe.  Double that and say a goal every 10 seconds.  Maybe the baseball players get lucky and deflect a puck or two every now and then.  Let's say the NHL scores a goal every 20 seconds, which they should easily do that's 60 goals a period or 180 for the game.  I think a motivated group of hockey players could easily put up 200 goals so yeah those saying the MLBers would have 20 run innings are likely correct but their going to need every last run to out score the NHLers.
About 5-7 seconds per goal if every goes to plan. Tap forward off the draw, split D and either shoot from the hashmarks or a simple deak. But there would be a few deflections, a couple missed shots and a rare time or two that MLBers would dump the puck out. So maybe 10-15 seconds per when adding in variables? My initial 100-120 seems very low. 300-400? 

It wouldn't matter - the clock would run out.

Manny Machado would go 6,000 for 6,000 with 18,000 RBIs before his grandkids made him quit in the first inning for not playing with them
You ever been to a pre game batting practice? 

Last edited by a moderator:
20 run innings? More like 200+ and there'd be only one inning before they all aged out
Even in batting practice MLBers don't square up every pitch.  There would also be hard hit balls right at people for some lucky stops by the hockey guys.  I'm not 100% sure the NHLers would score more but pointing out that people are way underestimating the number of goals they'd score.

What skating ability are we giving MLB players? Somewhere between pylon and 6 year old?

Anecdote: as a Canadian, I don't recall many kids growing up that played hockey and didn't play baseball as well till they were about 13-14. Lots of kids play baseball and not hockey. 

At 13-14 is when hockey players start getting drafted and the better players start playing year round and ditch other sports (besides golf).

The San Diego Padres used to play exhibition games against the SDSU Aztecs.  When they went to the World Series in 1984, they beat the college team 6-1.  Granted, the college team is a bunch of guys that play baseball every day, but none of their pitchers were special (they did have Mark Grace and Chris Gwynn, so they managed one run).

If a World Series caliber team only puts up 6 on a college team, I don't see them putting up 200 runs against professional athletes playing outside of their sport.  The Americans on the hockey team at least likely played some baseball. 

Dominicans on skates wouldn't be anything but speed bumps.  

Dominicans on Skates is also a good band name.

What skating ability are we giving MLB players? Somewhere between pylon and 6 year old?
For my part, I'm giving them no ability and know they'd get annihilated. The clock is the only thing that would stop the slaughter. Baseball has no clock. Those using BP swings or the HR Derby as examples of ways the MLBers would get outs are crazy. 

For my part, I'm giving them no ability and know they'd get annihilated. The clock is the only thing that would stop the slaughter. Baseball has no clock. Those using BP swings or the HR Derby as examples of ways the MLBers would get outs are crazy. 
Right. But hockey players know how to use a glove, throw and run which will lead to outs. They have a chance to "succeed" compared to the MLBers

The San Diego Padres used to play exhibition games against the SDSU Aztecs.  When they went to the World Series in 1984, they beat the college team 6-1.  Granted, the college team is a bunch of guys that play baseball every day, but none of their pitchers were special (they did have Mark Grace and Chris Gwynn, so they managed one run).

If a World Series caliber team only puts up 6 on a college team, I don't see them putting up 200 runs against professional athletes playing outside of their sport.  The Americans on the hockey team at least likely played some baseball. 

Dominicans on skates wouldn't be anything but speed bumps.  

Dominicans on Skates is also a good band name.
That's the same discipline, though. And the Padres outscored them on an OoM of 6-1. I'm guessing they weren't trying as hard as they would if they were playing the Dodgers, either.

That's like those fools a couple of years ago thinking Alabama's football team would beat the Jacksonville Jags. No, they wouldn't, and the order of magnitude would be even worse. It would be like 80-6 (the Bama PK would #### his pants when he saw what was lined up against him and miss the PAT).

Agreed on the band name.

I understand that not every ab will produce a hit, or walk, even in a real game against a team of hockey players.
Ok, let's say the NHL players can go 9 innings by getting 24 outs (I don't think they can, but....). What do you think the score would be? I feel pretty confident in saying the hockey guys would be no-hit. So, _ to 0. Fill in the blank

The MLB guys aren't going to treat it like a HR derby. They're going to serve up singles and doubles like a thousand paper cuts.  This isn't a softball field we're talking about where softball players like us can routinely drop balls where we want. Double the size of the field and add elite hitters. Those guys can direct balls against MLB pitchers. Someone tossing 75 mph meatballs.... Forget it.  10-15 run innings is about right, I think. And as the game goes on, I think that number is higher. 

I wonder what the hockey number is. I initially thought 120, but that might be low. 

We need to make this happen, btw.

Uruk-Hai said:
Ok, let's say the NHL players can go 9 innings by getting 24 outs (I don't think they can, but....). What do you think the score would be? I feel pretty confident in saying the hockey guys would be no-hit. So, _ to 0. Fill in the blank
I can agree the baseball players will win a game against the hockey players. That's not what this thread is asking.  Baseball players win 102 -0 in a baseball game. Hockey players win 200-0 in hockey game.

Cliff Clavin said:
Right. But hockey players know how to use a glove, throw and run which will lead to outs. They have a chance to "succeed" compared to the MLBers
They aren't throwing MLB players out, even if they're playing on skates and on ice. Maybe Mark Trumbo, but no one else. Ok, and Chris Davis. But THOSE are the only two.

Haven't read the whole thread so likely already brought up. Neither opposite team is going to score, so there is no point in reviewing how much the opposite team is going to score.

The difference is that in a hockey game there are ways to keep the score down some. For starters, since it is a timed game, the baseball players best option is to not even try to play offense and instead hope to kill some clock. On the few times they get possession of the puck, make a pass and then just shoot it down the ice and take the icing face-off in their own end. They should also leave players in front of their own net to not leave a lot of room left to get shots in. Even if baseball players can't really skate to save their lives, eventually the clock will end the game. Put all 6 guys guarding the net . . . and I mean RIGHT IN FRONT OF the net. They might all be black and blue from getting knocked around and blocking shots, but you can do a lot more to stop scoring than most people would think by covering a single spot on the ice (the goal area) and not the entire length of the ice. You can't score shooting through people.

In baseball, the baseball team most likely would not even have to swing until there were two strikes on each batter and they could simply take a boatload of walks per inning. On the off chance a hockey player pitcher got a 70 mph batting practice pitch over the plate, that thing is going to be a tracer beam off the bat. Even if the baseball team had a few off innings (only scoring a handful of runs), they will have some innings that could literally go on for an hour or more. For people that aren't pitchers, getting the ball in the strike zone isn't that easy.

A hockey net isn't that big, but a baseball field is huge. IMO, the hockey players would take an average 30 seconds to score. A game is 60 minutes = 120 goals max, probably less. Remember that they have to start on their own side of the ice on each face-off. It would be very unlikely they could score at will in 5-7 seconds like some folks are suggesting, especially with all 6 guys blocking the net.

IMO, the baseball game would be the equivalent of a major league team facing high school girl's slow pitch softball . . . with only 3 fielders on the field. Sure, the hockey players have an advantage that they are on terra firma and some guys may have played baseball as a kid, but not against 90 mph pitching and not against guys that hit hundreds of MLB pitches in BP every day. I don't see how the major leaguers don't get an average of 15-20 runs an inning.

So to summarize, the baseball players have a huge advantage in that they could do nothing in either game to their advantage. Just stand in front of the net in the hockey game and not even swing in the baseball game. IMO, baseball players take this one.

I can agree the baseball players will win a game against the hockey players. That's not what this thread is asking.  Baseball players win 102 -0 in a baseball game. Hockey players win 200-0 in hockey game.
How are you arriving at 102 runs? 

How are you arriving at 102 runs? 
Just guessing like everyone here is. There could be 15 run innings and there could be an inning where it's 3 up and 3 down on 5 pitches. I don't think the baseball players will offer up any kind of defense in a hockey game.

Just guessing like everyone here is. There could be 15 run innings and there could be an inning where it's 3 up and 3 down on 5 pitches. I don't think the baseball players will offer up any kind of defense in a hockey game.
The bolded ain't happening (nor are "only" 15 run innings). Again, I'm not taking anything away from the hockey players. And I'd pay good money to see Bartolo Colon on skates.

The clock is the difference

Errors don't really matter.  The only way anyone is getting out is a line drive or fly out.  May as well assume everyone that reaches base is going to score somehow.  Hockey players shouldn't really even bother trying to throw anyone out, unless someone hits an easy grounder.

I suppose we should clarify who is on each team. Is it a full hockey team (say the NY Rangers) against a full baseball team (say the LA Dodgers)? Or is it more of all players from MLB vs. all players from the NHL where each league could cherry pick guys that played the opposite sport? That might make a difference.

Pipes said:
Agreed.  How long would it take an NHL team to win a face off, make a pass or two and scored at what essentially an empty net?  5 seconds maybe.  Double that and say a goal every 10 seconds.  Maybe the baseball players get lucky and deflect a puck or two every now and then.  Let's say the NHL scores a goal every 20 seconds, which they should easily do that's 60 goals a period or 180 for the game.  I think a motivated group of hockey players could easily put up 200 goals so yeah those saying the MLBers would have 20 run innings are likely correct but they're going to need every last run to out score the NHLers.
I originally thought hockey but this seems about right for the upper end.  You include missed shots, shots that hit the post, and shots that deflect off of  some unfortunate Cuban and you have an upper limit around 200 goals.  If the baseball players go 9 for 10 and everyone scores, they get 243.  19 for 20 and they're at 513.

No one has commented on my suggestion that the MLB players make a ring around their own net and not move. A goal is only 6 feet wide. They have 6 guys on the ice at a time. That would make it really hard to shoot through a wall of players. Granted, they might all get knocked out eventually, but scoring every few seconds would be nearly impossible.

No one has commented on my suggestion that the MLB players make a ring around their own net and not move. A goal is only 6 feet wide. They have 6 guys on the ice at a time. That would make it really hard to shoot through a wall of players. Granted, they might all get knocked out eventually, but scoring every few seconds would be nearly impossible.
You realize the hockey players can hit them, right?  If this were a working strategy, every hockey team with a two goal lead would do it for the rest of the game.

with baseball players, it would just be a shooting gallery

You realize the hockey players can hit them, right?  If this were a working strategy, every hockey team with a two goal lead would do it for the rest of the game.

This.  Plus no one in their right mind would just sit in front of the net without goalie equipment for an entire game.  Under that scenario the NHL players would pepper them with 100s of slap shots until they cried uncle.  

In real NHL games, teams do use a penalty killing strategy in games when they are ahead late. So they already do a modification of what I am suggesting. Just have the MLB players where extra padding and protection and have them prepared for a beat down. Even without this strategy the baseball players may end up in an ICU.

Yes, NHL players can hit them, but they can't just go up to them and rough, slash, or cross-check them. Even if the hockey players try to check the MLB players out of the way, it still will waste valuable time. It would likely be a good strategy for the NHL team to not even send out a goalie and play 6 guys on offense.

Along those lines, maybe in the baseball game the hockey pitchers are better off intentionally beaning the baseball players (even if they get ejected). Winning by attrition ould be an option in both games.

I agree with anarchy's point though. Not necessarily the human meat shield part, but there's no way to minimize damag e offensively or defensively in baseball if you're an NHLer.

It's been brought up and it's incredibly dumb. They'd be out of players due to injury in about 5 minutes if they had the balls to stand there that long.

In real NHL games, teams do use a penalty killing strategy in games when they are ahead late. So they already do a modification of what I am suggesting. Just have the MLB players where extra padding and protection and have them prepared for a beat down. Even without this strategy the baseball players may end up in an ICU.

Yes, NHL players can hit them, but they can't just go up to them and rough, slash, or cross-check them. Even if the hockey players try to check the MLB players out of the way, it still will waste valuable time. It would likely be a good strategy for the NHL team to not even send out a goalie and play 6 guys on offense.

Along those lines, maybe in the baseball game the hockey pitchers are better off intentionally beaning the baseball players (even if they get ejected). Winning by attrition ould be an option in both games.
Baseball players aren't going to keep their feet, and NHL teams don't kill penalties by making a wall and inviting the other team to shoot.  Five slap shots into a wall of baseball players would end the strategy and land at least one or two in the hospital.

It's been brought up and it's incredibly dumb. They'd be out of players due to injury in about 5 minutes if they had the balls to stand their that long.
Then just go penalty killing mode all game and not cross center ice. Trying to score would make little sense.

Also if we are going to jack with the spirit of the game by having 6 MLBers create a barrier then I'll argue the NHLers wouldn't need a goalie so it's 7 attackers the entire game.  A couple of the goons would create holes in the wall for the shooters to take full advantage off.

Also if we are going to jack with the spirit of the game by having 6 MLBers create a barrier then I'll argue the NHLers wouldn't need a goalie so it's 7 attackers the entire game.  A couple of the goons would create holes in the wall for the shooters to take full advantage off.
Hockey plays with 6 players.

Users who are viewing this thread