What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who will own pick 1.1? Chi. And then what? (1 Viewer)

Arizona also smiled because the Texans look like they'll double their chances

This is a good point that I hadn't considered. The Texans aren't very good.

You know who is also terrible? The Panthers. They're just bad. Bryce Young could have Chicago picking number one and taking Williams next year.

eta* At least I assume Chicago holds their pick next year.

Caleb needs to call the Cardinals and let them know he won't play for them.

He's making good endorsement money and can afford to dictate terms to NFL teams.

Maybe he'll make a.real stand and blow up the draft process entirely.

Despite the loss, I thought Indy looked pretty competent. So that could be 1 less contender.

It'd be pretty amazing if the Cards and Bears had the top-4 picks in the draft.

He's making good endorsement money and can afford to dictate terms to NFL teams.

Eli 2.0

Dark horses could be NYG, Denver, Minnesota, Tennessee. Nah these teams are probably too good but you never know.

He could force a trade. Why though? Let’s say Arizona has the #1 and #2. Caleb starts with Marvin JR.

I don’t understand the logic behind threatening to go back to school though. The bad teams pick at the top of the draft. That’s not going to change. Great organizations rarely if ever pick #1. Because great organizations don’t tank.

If he’s as great as everyone thinks then HE changes the culture.

Panthers will stumble into a few wins

They play in probably the worst division in the NFL. I hope so.

AFC South is a close contender as well. HOU plays 6 games in a terrible division and 4 against the NFC South so will grab a few wins. Their defense held up better than expected against BAL, and if their offensive line ever gets healthy maybe their offense can start to get something going.

HOU & ARI also play each other week 11.

Carolina and Houston, not part of this discussion. Bryce Young needs to be a top ten QB, and Will Anderson needs to be Derrick Thomas, because otherwise.....not great

He could force a trade. Why though? Let’s say Arizona has the #1 and #2. Caleb starts with Marvin JR.

I don’t understand the logic behind threatening to go back to school though. The bad teams pick at the top of the draft. That’s not going to change. Great organizations rarely if ever pick #1. Because great organizations don’t tank.

Because he is far less marketable in Arizona than, say New York, Los Angeles, Dallas etc.

Because he is far less marketable in Arizona than, say New York, Los Angeles, Dallas etc.
Patrick Mahomes is in Kansas City and his marketability seems to be fine.

So, all Caleb needs to do is be Patrick Mahomes and he'll get a ton of endorsements in Arizona.

So, all Caleb needs to do is be Patrick Mahomes and he'll get a ton of endorsements in Arizona.
You're saying he should force a trade to go to another more marketable city. He's marketable no matter where he is though.

I guess he could strong arm a team into doing that? I just don't see what purpose it really serves other than immediately alienating a lot of football fans and making him look very selfish.

Sounds like he already is Patrick Mahomes with the back to school talk if drafted by an unfavorable team. I don't really want someone like that leading my organization for the foreseeable future, despite all the tangible traits. If I am Arizona, I would still gladly accept the #1 pick and trade out of it but I'd be on the phone with Caleb and daddy to let them know to keep their mouths shut because we want the draft capital associated with you and not actually you.

It's bothered me every time players have gotten involved in the draft process. I didn't like it when Elway did it. I didn't like the Eli/Phillip Rivers situation and this is no different or better in my mind.

It's bothered me every time players have gotten involved in the draft process. I didn't like it when Elway did it. I didn't like the Eli/Phillip Rivers situation and this is no different or better in my mind.
Me neither, but it didn't hurt them at all. And this about them and their career. Players don't HAVE to be drafted after their junior year. This is his leverage, and he has very little after he's drafted, so before the draft is the time to exercise it, right? It bothers me as well, but really, we don't have much of an argument for why best QB prospect in a while shouldn't use every avenue at his disposal to go to the best situation he can.

I don't see the upside in his dad saying that.
Get your Caleb Team together, build your brand, all that stuff. Did Caleb really need his dad saying that about going back in the draft if they don't like a team? So now Caleb gets a bunch of questions all season long about every NFL team in the middle of a losing streak? Why even put that in people's minds?

Checks and balances are in place. Draft order and his ability to declare or return to school. Don't think it's fair when people go after players for using those rules. Leverage when u can kid.

You're saying he should force a trade to go to another more marketable city. He's marketable no matter where he is though.

I guess he could strong arm a team into doing that? I just don't see what purpose it really serves other than immediately alienating a lot of football fans and making him look very selfish.
Starting off in Arizona is a lower bar than starting off in Los Angeles or New York. That is a non controversial statement.

Every NFL QB has some marketability initially. But opening your career in one of the top media markets is a big advantage.

Having to become Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers is certainly an option to get national media space is a tough sell.

Caleb is already landing national deals and being the Heisman winner in Los Angeles, as opposed to Michigan or Ohio, is a big part of the reason why. There are a lot of very good QBs in college football ATM and the only player getting more NIL money than Williams is football Royalty (Manning).

Look at the list of former Heisman winners. Where is Joe Burrows national media campaign? Bryce Young's? Devonta Smith's? Lamar Jackson? Kyler had something for a hot minute. Mayfield is the only recent example of getting relatively early big time endorsements.

Financially Williams would be better served in a larger national market.

How dare they become involved in their own employment process.

Nobody should be allowed to do that.

Starting off in Arizona is a lower bar than starting off in Los Angeles or New York. That is a non controversial statement.

Every NFL QB has some marketability initially. But opening your career in one of the top media markets is a big advantage.

Having to become Patrick Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers is certainly an option to get national media space is a tough sell.

Caleb is already landing national deals and being the Heisman winner in Los Angeles, as opposed to Michigan or Ohio, is a big part of the reason why. There are a lot of very good QBs in college football ATM and the only player getting more NIL money than Williams is football Royalty (Manning).

Look at the list of former Heisman winners. Where is Joe Burrows national media campaign? Bryce Young's? Devonta Smith's? Lamar Jackson? Kyler had something for a hot minute. Mayfield is the only recent example of getting relatively early big time endorsements.

Financially Williams would be better served in a larger national market.
I'm not arguing he wouldn't be better served. I just don't know how he's supposed to accomplish it? Sit out until the team he wants to go to has the #1 pick? Hope all his posturing causes him to fall to a team he wants to go to?

The cost to acquire him will be astronomical and typically the best organizations don't have the draft capital to make that kind of move.

I feel like we had a similar conversation in the RB pay scale threads. Caleb Williams' marketability and value comes from his skills as a football player. If he doesn't want to play football he doesn't have to, but the NFL and its employment process is structured in a way that he doesn't have much choice in the matter.

Eventually, if he wants to be in the NFL and have access to its dollars he'll need to enter the draft. Going back to USC and forfeiting a year of earning potential because he doesn't like the team with the #1 pick seems silly and somewhat reckless to me. The time value of just the ~$25M signing bonus he'd get in his first year is enormous.

Going back to USC and forfeiting a year of earning potential because he doesn't like the team with the #1 pick seems silly and somewhat reckless to me. The time value of just the ~$25M signing bonus he'd get in his first year is enormous.
NIL money makes this a lot easier but, it is a lot of money to walk away from.

Shoot, he gets that money.
It's the fact that it's one year later he gets the 2nd contract.

What's the up front money five years from now, for Caleb Williams? $80 mill? $100 mill?

Shoot, he gets that money.
It's the fact that it's one year later he gets the 2nd contract.

What's the up front money five years from now, for Caleb Williams? $80 mill? $100 mill?
That too, and another year lost in the NFL on the back end where who knows how much he'll be able to make if he has the career trajectory everyone thinks he will.

Burrow went to the Bengals and he seems to be doing just fine. They're the epitome of the notoriously bad NFL franchise. Arizona would be a paradise in comparison.

Being on a good team and winning games is much more important. I don't see to much Kyle Wilson here in NYC, and I never did.

Might wind up being a very smart move to weed a team out.

Being on a good team and winning games is much more important. I don't see to much Kyle Wilson here in NYC, and I never did.

Might wind up being a very smart move to weed a team out.
Sure. Don’t all the good teams already have QBs though?

What’s Caleb’s camp expecting?

Sure. Don’t all the good teams already have QBs though?

What’s Caleb’s camp expecting?
I have no idea, but in theory:

Wanting to go to a good team, or even a certain team, has certain realistic barriers. It's not about necessarily going to ONE team, but eliminating a team you see as a disaster. Telling AZ no, because he wants to go to Chicago, or Tampa. Whatever. Poor Arizona is everyone's example, but history says we are all guessing wrong on who has #1 pick.

The power he has, the leverage he has, is that there's no player in college football since maybe Andrew Luck, that a coach and GM would love to hitch their wagon to more than this guy. (Think I said that right). if he decides he doesn't like the #1 team, and tells 5 other teams that he would love to be there, someone will make a mega deal.

This really isn't about involvement in their hiring process. If you don't want to be a part of the organization, they will conduct interviews and phone calls between agents - do that there. This is unique to this level of employment but not unique to any other sport out there. You can't just force the hand of an organization publicly. Use a level of decorum and politely decline the position in private. Regardless, if you are going in the top 5 draft picks - it is likely you are going to a bad team.

It used to be you needed to go to a large market like New York or California but that really isn't the case anymore. You can certainly make a brand for yourself by just winning football games. Patrick Mahomes has proven that. You think players should be able to avoid the parameters setup through ownership and Player's Association and just call their shots? What's the point of the draft, maybe the players should just elect themselves to whatever team they would prefer to play for. As a Cowboys fan, I like my odds with that approach. Would you or your father like to contact the media to make this public?

The problem I have isn't that players have preferences of where they want to play it is that they are utilizing the public forum provided to them by the sport and associations sponsoring the sport to publicly bash organizations and say they won't play for them.

Giants look awful all the way around. 54-0 this season and counting.
57-0 and Dimes just threw a pick. Giants are in the running for Caleb.
Didn't DJ just get a pretty big contract? How easy is it for them to get out of it?
I have to believe it's almost impossible to trade DJ. The cap hit would be monumental.
So IF the Giants get the first pick, would they take him and keep DJ as a backup? Or trade the pick for a king's ransom? (in your opinion)

Users who are viewing this thread