What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Amari Cooper, CLE (3 Viewers)

Notwithstanding yesterday, Cooper has had another low key solid year (72-1250-5 thus far) despite some very uneven QB play through most of the season.

This is for another thread, but it’s another reminder for next year not to always try to look for the young WRs, but also focus on proven commodities that can still produce. Evans, Keenan Allen and Adams fall in that same bucket. WRs in their late 20s/early 30s often do not follow the same trajectory of their RB counterparts of the same age in terms of falling of the cliff then.
I partly agree and partly disagree. Older receivers may fall in redraft leagues, but WR 31 or older are not great bets for Top 10 numbers. Allen is on track to finish in the Top Ten (if he gets back on the field). But he’s just the second WR 31+ to rank in the Top 10 in the past 6 seasons (Edelman was the other). Like any player, where an older WR was actually drafted will play a huge role in determining if they were a fantasy asset or a net loss.
Fair - is that specific to 31+ or does that also apply to 29 and 30? Just wondering as sometimes we split the data pretty fine.

Start him versus Sauce?
Sauce doesn't shadow. Hard to bench someone this hot. I'm starting him but I can see a down game for sure. Just think it's over thinking things benching him.

Have you had him? He's had several stinkers this year.
I've been rolling with a largely 4 WR group starting 3 and been thankful I benched him at least a couple times, burned another time.

This is definitely not Randy Moss or Jerry Rice

The fact this guy left Dallas and Dak Prescott and has had *Who?* throwing him the ball the last 2 seasons, only to have arguably the best 2 seasons of his career, certainly is impressive.
Besides the one mammoth game he's been about the same 75 catches for 1160 yards.

Start him versus Sauce?
Sauce doesn't shadow. Hard to bench someone this hot. I'm starting him but I can see a down game for sure. Just think it's over thinking things benching him.

I've been rolling with a largely 4 WR group starting 3 and been thankful I benched him at least a couple times, burned another time.

Yes, check his last 3 games all with Flacco.

Nobody said he was Rice or Moss.

The fact this guy left Dallas and Dak Prescott and has had *Who?* throwing him the ball the last 2 seasons, only to have arguably the best 2 seasons of his career, certainly is impressive.
Besides the one mammoth game he's been about the same 75 catches for 1160 yards.
These conversations are always funny to me.

"If you take out all of Barry Sanders' runs over 5 YPC, he actually has a YPC less than 5"

Ok, but why would we do that lol.

Somehow listed as questionable after going off for 265 yards you got to love the NFL injury report

Start him versus Sauce?

Most of his stinkers were tied in some way to either DTR or PJ. He's 7 for 9 when he's had healthy Watson or Flacco and those 2 misses were in the rain soaked opener and Flacco's first game. I'm expecting a step back week, but I still think he's a better bet than Pickens @ SEA, Lockett v PIT, and Thielen @ JAX. The matchup is brutal, but he will get opportunities in both scoring range and from deep.

Last edited:
I need to pick 2 of Cooper, Rice and Nico. I’m currently starting Cooper tomorrow night since I can’t imagine sitting him, even in a negative matchup , after he and Flacco showed amazing chemistry these past few games. But I’m fully expecting a Thursday Night Clunker to start championship weekend :|

"If you take out all of Barry Sanders' runs over 5 YPC, he actually has a YPC less than 5"

One game over a lengthy career is hardly that

This was his 4th game over 200 yards and he had at least 10 catches in each of those games, in a career spanning now 10 years where he has had at least 1k receiving yards in 6 of them. Its not like this is some bum that got lucky once. He has averaged 67 yards per game his entire career.

I don't get your beef w Amari Cooper lol.

Somehow listed as questionable after going off for 265 yards you got to love the NFL injury report
Funny part is he looked visibly hobbled during the 265 yard game. He would make a crazy play and then labor a bit going back to the huddle.

This was his 4th game over 200 yards and he had at least 10 catches in each of those games, in a career spanning now 10 years where he has had at least 1k receiving yards in 6 of them. Its not like this is some bum that got lucky once. He has averaged 67 yards per game his entire career.

I believe he joined TO as the only player with a 200 yard receiving game for 3 different teams. Cooper has always been a boom-bust guy. He's inconsistent week to week but he's consistent season to season. There's not many NFL WRs in history who have the spike week potential Cooper has. For PPR he has games of 49, 49, 44 and 39.

I believe he joined TO as the only player with a 200 yard receiving game for 3 different teams. Cooper has always been a boom-bust guy. He's inconsistent week to week but he's consistent season to season. There's not many NFL WRs in history who have the spike week potential Cooper has. For PPR he has games of 49, 49, 44 and 39.
But if you take those 4 games out he has zero 200 yard games :scared:

You're just talking to talk and not following a conversation.
You brought up Barry then responded to your own self how he has four 200 yard games.
You said how much better he is in CLE than DAL with Dak Prescott.
He had 1189 and 1114 yards two years with Dak and 1160 last year with CLE.
He's up to 1250 this year with the mammoth game which is what I said.

I don't have a beef with Amari just with people that struggle to read quoted material and respond

My take is if he's on the Active List for Cleveland tonight, he needs to be in your starting lineup. He's been less than healthy lately and obviously super productive.

The short week is tough but on the upside, we'll all know his official status well before the first game tonight.

Sounds like he might not even play tonight
Do you have a link you are you basing that on?
Isn't this your line of work?

Yes. That one I'd seen. That's why I asked for a specific link to see if it was something else. The forum works tons better when people use links. Thanks for sharing.
I see you sent the email out now

Sounds like he might not even play tonight
Do you have a link you are you basing that on?
Isn't this your line of work?

Yes. That one I'd seen. That's why I asked for a specific link to see if it was something else. The forum works tons better when people use links. Thanks for sharing.
I see you sent the email out now

Yes. It's a big story for people. I wish we had more sources on it, which is why I asked, but for now, just alerting people is likely enough to make sure it's on their radar.

My take is if he's on the Active List for Cleveland tonight, he needs to be in your starting lineup. He's been less than healthy lately and obviously super productive.

The short week is tough but on the upside, we'll all know his official status well before the first game tonight.
I have the luxury of having to choose three of these five in a .5 ppr: Jefferson, Deebo, Aiyuk, Cooper, or Higgins. I'm a slight favorite.

Your primer has me sitting Cooper and Higgins but I'm happy to hear your thoughts!

I have the luxury of having to choose three of these five in a .5 ppr: Jefferson, Deebo, Aiyuk, Cooper, or Higgins. I'm a slight favorite.

Your primer has me sitting Cooper and Higgins but I'm happy to hear your thoughts!
I do not see how you could sit Cooper right now. He might be the #1 over WR heading into tonight’s game.

Can't go wrong with that bunch. We have Cooper one WR spot behind Aiyuk right now. I might think about flipping those.

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow
The heel issue is a bit concerning. He’ll have a hard time getting open on the plays he matches up with sauce as it is. Throw in a bum wheel and the writing might be on the wall. I think this is a harder choice then startihh my him jut because he’s active.

Whether Cooper plays or not, I can see this being a big Njoku game. The run game isn't overly reliable, so I can see a lot of short passes to Ford/Hunt. The Sauce/Reed duo may very well neutralize Cooper and Moore (revenge game alert), and Njoku will probably roam the middle of the field. I'll probably be wrong, but just a gut feel.

Wow

I'd bench Ayuik and Higgens

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow
The Jets pass defense is concerning as well.

I just don't see how I'd sit him tonight if he looks ok in Warmups and is on The Active List. He has something special working with Flacco.

On the other hand, it's easy to paint the narrative for the Jets playing for pride and the defense rises up.

The Jets pass defense is concerning as well.

I just don't see how I'd sit him tonight if he looks ok in Warmups and is on The Active List. He has something special working with Flacco.

On the other hand, it's easy to paint the narrative for the Jets playing for pride and the defense rises up.
Agree on all points 100%.
if he’s active, I start him. They’re a team on a playoff run with a vet QB who is laser focused on his best offensive weapon in Cooper
but I wouldn’t be surprised by a Thursday night clunker if I do start him. But worth the risk. My other WR is Nico Collins so it’s not like he’s a vision of health right now and his QB is hopefully playing, so neither is a slam dunk.

Wow

I'd bench Ayuik and Higgens
Yeah I think I have to start JJ and Deebo and it's close between Cooper and Aiyuk.

Thanks for allowing the Assistant Coach hijack!

Fully agree with this. On his long TD last week, you could see his gait wasn't right. Starting limping as he reached the endzone. So the heel was bothering him but had no impact on his performance.
Also as a Browns fan, am aware that he sits out many practices. Not just this season either. Similar to the pattern for Nuk Hopkins.
I only have one share of Cooper but am starting him over Chase and Singletary. Not ideal timing with Cooper playing on Thursday. But don't see how anybody can bench him unless you have other elite players as options.

His 75 yard TD last week :

I'm actually super worried about him tonight. Can you actually pull him though? Ugh this sucks.
I have two teams, one dynasty and one redraft, with Amari and Breece. Worried about both, to scared to bench either but the redraft league is making me reconsider.

That redraft lague is a national type contest. I'm in 57th place. I'd need a miracle to get into first place but the money increases a good amount the higher I can get up and I'm within 31 points of the top 10 so want to improve my position and also not for nothing miracles do happen(like with both of them last week).

My unofficial count is that 23 of the 56 teams above me have Amari, 8 have Breece so he's not as impactuful and the teams that have him I'm less then 30 points away.

So I'd reallly like to bench Amari and go against the grain and will be chewing on it these next few hours. If my options were better I'd do it, easily, but I'm down to Singletary, Gerald Everett(TE Premium) or Demario Douglass. Can decide on which I'd use later.

I'd for sure bench one in my dynasty league but got a complication of several projected starters being in some degree of doubt (Flowers and Deebo) and I only have one bench option I'd use over Amari or Breece and could find myself in a jam if one of those questionable players can't go and I've allocated my one fairly decent bench option to use.

My only other options are Terry McLaurin, Dotson, or Likely...not feeling any are strong enough to bench Cooper if he's active...

Thursday game, vs best pass defense in NFL, likely has Sauce on him, low scoring game, injured, and coming off a massive game with big expectations.

This all feels really not good. Don't think I have the balls to bench him but he could be the bust of the week.

My only other options are Terry McLaurin, Dotson, or Likely...not feeling any are strong enough to bench Cooper if he's active...
My only other options are mclaurin, Pickens and ferguson. Very hard to bench him indeed.

Eta Actually I have likely as well. Forgot about him for a minute

Thursday game, vs best pass defense in NFL, likely has Sauce on him, low scoring game, injured, and coming off a massive game with big expectations.

This all feels really not good. Don't think I have the balls to bench him but he could be the bust of the week.
Thought I read that Sauce doesn't follow receivers

Someone up thread posted #1WR numbers vs the NYJ this year

Users who are viewing this thread