What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Gabriel Davis, JAC (1 Viewer)

Yeah dude sucks. I was wrong. I'll survive. Bumping posts with wrong predictions is clown stuff.
Yea for sure. If people would just agree we are wrong more than right. we all have our opinions on players. use all available info & go from there. Allen Robinson-I was high on him. thank God more people were higher on him than me as only got him in one league. sometimes it's not who you draft, but who you didn't.

Still has value but gotta believe no one is in a rush to start him...the Buffalo passing weapons are a little odd...Diggs is fantastic but after that there is a lot of pretty good with guys like Knox and Davis who looked like they could get to the next level but have not...would not be surprised one bit if they add another legit threat (especially if they lose a shootout to either KC or Cincy) to that unit which could really dent Davis's value.
Last year they had a stud WR1 in Diggs, a stud slot WR in Beasley, and a solid WR2 veteran (when healthy) in Sanders. It allowed peripheral guys like Davis, McKenzie, and Knox to have some big games. This year those peripheral guys moved up in the pecking order and are clearly not as good as they thought they would be. It has caused Buffalo to go run heavier than last year. Why do you think they just signed Beasley? They are most certainly going to have to sign another quality WR next year because these guys (excluding Diggs) aint it.

I honestly don’t know what to think on Davis anymore. It feels like he’s been under performing and not doing enough, but at the same time, if you look at DVOA (depending on how you feel about FO), he is #10 in DVOA for WRs. He’s a good blocker and he helps stretch the defense vertically even when he doesn’t get the ball. But he’s dropped a bunch of passes and seems to disappear for huge chunks of time as well.

Link
He is who we thought he was- an explosive big play WR but a poor route runner with a very limited route tree. The hands of stone don't help either, he's dropped ~10% of the balls thrown to him this year.

This is all about the hype based on his monster game in KC in a historic-type shootout. It got people all aflutter, but really what he's doing so far this year is well within the range of outcomes and I would argue it's right in line with what should have been expected. He's actually having his "best" year so far, and if he never had that game vs KC people would probably be fairly happy with it.

Again, he's a big play guy who simply isn't good enough to be a reliable all around WR. He's going to have some monster games when the opportunities present themselves and he capitalizes on them along with some duds when they don't. For FF he's much, much more valuable in best ball formats, in all others he might be the biggest boom/bust WR in the game. No reason to think that's going to change much without a LOT of improvement in his game, which is possible but he has a lot of ground to make up.

Starting DPJ over him in the playoffs, fully expect to regret it, but that's why God invented booze.
The one time I benched him (in 1 of the 3 leagues I have him) he scored 37.

Best of luck.

(note: I don’t expect huge numbers this week, and if Stevenson is a go imma bench him & flex Stevenson….and he’ll probably score 37 again)
:banned:

Gabe Davis caught 4-of-6 targets for 56 yards in the Bills' Week 15 win over the Dolphins.​

39 of Davis's 56 yards and two of his four catches came on the final possession of the game, saving a relatively modest fantasy outing in the process. His continued low volume role has left Davis a boom or bust fantasy option this season, which should continue down the stretch.
Dec 18, 2022, 12:51 AM ET

Still has value but gotta believe no one is in a rush to start him...the Buffalo passing weapons are a little odd...Diggs is fantastic but after that there is a lot of pretty good with guys like Knox and Davis who looked like they could get to the next level but have not...would not be surprised one bit if they add another legit threat (especially if they lose a shootout to either KC or Cincy) to that unit which could really dent Davis's value.
Last year they had a stud WR1 in Diggs, a stud slot WR in Beasley, and a solid WR2 veteran (when healthy) in Sanders. It allowed peripheral guys like Davis, McKenzie, and Knox to have some big games. This year those peripheral guys moved up in the pecking order and are clearly not as good as they thought they would be. It has caused Buffalo to go run heavier than last year. Why do you think they just signed Beasley? They are most certainly going to have to sign another quality WR next year because these guys (excluding Diggs) aint it.
Looks like I was wrong about Davis too. (Or maybe we're not wrong)
They signed Beasley because McKenzie sucks. Davis played well last year with Diggs and Beasley (w/o Sanders), maybe if they had a better slot guy than McKenzie, Davis's numbers would be better.

It can be spun whatever direction you want, however 8/13 games he produced under double digit points in my league. I am not saying he is terrible at football but I don‘t see how anyone could be excited about this years production or really pumped about his future. I can’t imagine BUF not adding a body or two at receiver this off-season. From a positional standpoint it may be their top priority.

Davis has become so cheap in dfs it's equal to a 15th round draft pick. Dawson freaking Knox who is on the bench weekly in most of my leagues has outscored him since the bye. At least Michael Thomas was kind enough to quit so we could cut him and pick up someone else to play.

Davis has become so cheap in dfs it's equal to a 15th round draft pick. Dawson freaking Knox who is on the bench weekly in most of my leagues has outscored him since the bye. At least Michael Thomas was kind enough to quit so we could cut him and pick up someone else to play.
at 15th round DFS price equivalent I feel I would play him in a lineup weekly with his upside.

It can be spun whatever direction you want, however 8/13 games he produced under double digit points in my league. I am not saying he is terrible at football but I don‘t see how anyone could be excited about this years production or really pumped about his future. I can’t imagine BUF not adding a body or two at receiver this off-season. From a positional standpoint it may be their top priority.

Agree 100%...was very optimistic he would take a big leap this year...on paper it was set-up perfectly...he is still young and has some talent, so he is worthy of a Dynasty bench spot but no way can any of his owners be happy or think next year will be better...my guess is he becomes a "throw in" for a lot of trades this offseason.

at 15th round DFS price equivalent I feel I would play him in a lineup weekly with his upside.
Yup...he's the centerpiece of my weekly donation to good DFS players. This is the week he'll hit....

It doesn't make it correct, but what a brutal fall from grace.

Someone in one of my leagues is starting Chris Moore over Gabriel Davis this weekend int he playoffs. I am not sure I could make that move, but the targets have been there for Moore the last two weeks.

Someone in one of my leagues is starting Chris Moore over Gabriel Davis this weekend int he playoffs. I am not sure I could make that move, but the targets have been there for Moore the last two weeks.

Brandin Cooks is practicing in full, per Faust's link in Cooks's thread. That's just in case anybody on this board gets the idea to start Moore over somebody else.

Not convinced on the "smartness" of the move, but I currently have Marquise Goodwin in as WR3 over Gabe Davis at the moment.

Maybe I'm on an island, but while it's been less than expected in redraft, I remain optimistic for 2023. Overall his numbers aren't bad, even with a down passing year (elbow) for Allen. Davis % of plays is among the highest in the league due to his blocking, and he is only 23. He essentially lost 3 games due to the sprained ankle, and weather has been rough in a few as well.

I am debating him vs Chris Moore as well. Thats how far hes fallen. This matchup is so juicy I dont mind rolling the dice with Davis. The weather concerns me though.

Maybe I'm on an island, but while it's been less than expected in redraft, I remain optimistic for 2023. Overall his numbers aren't bad, even with a down passing year (elbow) for Allen. Davis % of plays is among the highest in the league due to his blocking, and he is only 23. He essentially lost 3 games due to the sprained ankle, and weather has been rough in a few as well.
Post Hype Sleeper for 2023. I bet he falls to double digit rounds in redraft. Or 7th/8th range where it might make more sense.

I don't think Buffalo is doing great at adjusting to certain defenses. They're good enough (on defense too) that it usually doesn't matter. I feel like they could mix up their playcalling more, and I'm not talking about more targets to Davis. I think they need to run more and *then* do more play action and *then* IMHO high quality looks for Davis can open up. But 2023 is a contract year. I'm sure there will be plenty of hype still. I suppose it depends on what kind of noise he makes ROS and playoffs. If he ends on another high note or two then his price will still be high. But if he finishes as he has done up to today (in 2022), he might actually approach value next year.

I am debating him vs Chris Moore as well. Thats how far hes fallen. This matchup is so juicy I dont mind rolling the dice with Davis. The weather concerns me though.
I would be more concerned about Allen popping up on the injury report with the elbow again
I have zero concern about that. He said he needed to rest it a bit and practiced in full yesterday and said it feels better than it has in weeks.

He missed one game but on a per game basis as of today he is on (what would be) a 17 game pace of 55 catches (on 100 targets) for 983 yards and 8 TDs. That is 201 PPR points. He is averaging 11.8 PPG which I have as WR37. He could still finish with a mild to moderate bang and finish ~WR30 or mid range WR3, which is right around where many of us predicted. I also said that his price would be too expensive in redraft, and that has proven true. I also think that a couple breaks of variance in the positive direction (if he didn't get banged up if Josh Allen didn't get banged up if their playcalling wasn't suboptimal) he could finish as high as a low end WR2 highish WR3 around WR25-29. Could still happen with a couple boom weeks but nobody is starting him (and liking it).

This isn't a down passing year for Allen, it is actually better than last year. Diggs and Davis are having better years as well.

Again, this is all about people overhyping the playoff game. If that never happened this thread would be ~5 pages long.

Again, this is all about people overhyping the playoff game. If that never happened this thread would be ~5 pages long.
I could not disagree with this more. Most Davis boosters here went out of their way to *exclude* that 1 playoff game.

@barackdhouse & I went to great lengths to cover his entire young career up to that point.

This is a false narrative, and one that borders on insult in light of the absolute fact that those of us who were high on Davis explicitly did not do this.

At best, it shows you didn’t bother to read any of the posts from us.

I could not disagree with this more. Most Davis boosters here went out of their way to *exclude* that 1 playoff game.

@barackdhouse & I went to great lengths to cover his entire young career up to that point.

This is a false narrative, and one that borders on insult in light of the absolute fact that those of us who were high on Davis explicitly did not do this.

To date, he has 20 TDs in the NFL *not counting* that one playoff game and is still 23. I'm not going to lie, count me among the people disappointed in 2022 re: Davis.

To date, he has 20 TDs in the NFL *not counting* that one playoff game and is still 23. I'm not going to lie, count me among the people disappointed in 2022 re:Davis.
Same. I was never expecting multiple 4 TD weeks, but given his ample usage, I was certainly hoping for 4-6 catches a week with ~10 total TD.

It’s funny seeing the other narrative about how Davis “can’t be productive” or “people thought he’d be productive” with 3-5 targets per week, considering he’s had 8 games of 6 targets or more - 3 with 7 & 1 with 10.

Quality of targets hasn’t been awesome though. And yes - he did drop some passes.

Feels like a lot of meat left on the bone of Davis’ 2022 season. Doesn’t really change my opinion of his 2023….yet.

It's obvious you disagree, but it's also obvious you desperately want to avoid admitting that you were too high on him for some reason. He's having his best year by a large margin, people who weren't too high on him have no reason to be disappointed with it. Also no reason to make stuff up like Allen is having a down year for passing when it's simply false.

Let's not have Gabe Davis fights again. He's WR32 PPR total and WR35 or WR36 in PPG. He's a WR3 this year.

Any claims made about how good he was going to be are here for posterity. They can be looked up. Let's not drag this all through the mud again.

It's obvious you disagree, but it's also obvious you desperately want to avoid admitting that you were too high on him for some reason. He's having his best year by a large margin, people who weren't too high on him have no reason to be disappointed with it. Also no reason to make stuff up like Allen is having a down year for passing when it's simply false.
Preposterous.

Try actually reading my posts and it is obvious why I was high on him, and what my expectations actually were.

Until then I’m done with your projecting nonsense.

Last edited:
Let's not have Gabe Davis fights again. He's WR32 PPR total and WR35 or WR36 in PPG. He's a WR3 this year.

Any claims made about how good he was going to be are here for posterity. They can be looked up. Let's not drag this all through the mud again.
Amen.

I expected WR2 - got WR3. Not ideal, but not “sell for whatever you can get omgwhatabust!”

2023 is a brand new year. It’ll be interesting to see what the FF community thinks of him then.

I hope nobody expects much this week in snow, negative temps, and super windy conditions.
I'm probably sitting Diggs a well
I picked up Goodwin to start over Davis & Palmer at WR3.

Goodwin playing catch-up in no free e weather at KC? Yes please.

ETA Chicago is decent agains the pass, too, which is more why I’m taking the moonshot with Goodwin at KC.

Last time I did something like that, Davis scored 38, so…

I hope nobody expects much this week in snow, negative temps, and super windy conditions.
Congrats on having Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, and AJ Brown on your roster. Me, I may have to start some players that are playing in less than ideal situations.
As someone with Jefferson & Higgins, I would start Diggs if he were playing in Antarctica at WR3 regardless of my other options.

Congrats on having Jamar Chase, Justin Jefferson, and AJ Brown on your roster. Me, I may have to start some players that are playing in less than ideal situations.
Brown, Hopkins, Higgins.
Very windy all game and catching an ice ball

I'm hoping he does not have another big playoff game, as I want to get him cheap next year. This year hasn't panned out like I hoped for him (I'm not sure how much of that can be related to the injury and how much is other things). I think he still has a lot of potential upside going forward, and as long as his value remains depressed (late-mid to late rounds I'm thinking?), I will be buying.

I'm hoping he does not have another big playoff game, as I want to get him cheap next year. This year hasn't panned out like I hoped for him (I'm not sure how much of that can be related to the injury and how much is other things). I think he still has a lot of potential upside going forward, and as long as his value remains depressed (late-mid to late rounds I'm thinking?), I will be buying.
I don't think you'll have any problems there.

Users who are viewing this thread