What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ja'Marr Chase, CIN (2 Viewers)

Bengals coach Zac Taylor said that he's "optimistic" that Ja'Marr Chase will play against the Chiefs in Week 13.​

Chase is likely to get in another limited practice at worst this afternoon. There has been talk about him being on a snap count for this game, so keep that in mind, but only the deepest of the deep fantasy wideout rooms need to consider what that means as far as benching someone who could be a WR1 with five targets.
SOURCE: Paul Dehner Jr. on Twitter
Dec 2, 2022, 1:14 PM ET

in a 12 team PPR I have:

Justin Jefferson
Amon Ra
Ja’Maar
Tee Higgins

Do I run with Higgins one more game with a decoy Chase. Or is Chase as healthy as he is touting and take the chance. My matchup this week is pretty even.

Are you all trusting Chase in his first game back?

in a 12 team PPR I have:

Justin Jefferson
Amon Ra
Ja’Maar
Tee Higgins

Do I run with Higgins one more game with a decoy Chase. Or is Chase as healthy as he is touting and take the chance. My matchup this week is pretty even.

I’m in the same spot as you with Adams, ARSB, Watson, and Chase (have to sit one). They all have great matchups, but I hate starting players the first week back from a prolonged injury.

in a 12 team PPR I have:

Justin Jefferson
Amon Ra
Ja’Maar
Tee Higgins

I’m in the same spot as you with Adams, ARSB, Watson, and Chase (have to sit one). They all have great matchups, but I hate starting players the first week back from a prolonged injury.
We evidently have the same team. I think I'm playing Chase over Olave with those three.

I'm playing him over Godwin/G. Wilson....for now. Godwin plays Monday, so I could switch him out if Chase pulls a surprise inactive. I'm more worried he'll pull a Mike "Mr. 200%" Williams than an inactive though.

Ja'Marr Chase caught 7-of-8 targets for 97 yards in the Bengals' Week 13 win against the Chiefs.​

Chase led the Bengals with eight targets, with nearly half of his yardage coming on a 40-yard catch from Joe Burrow. After missing three weeks with a hip injury, Chase returned to a full complement of pass routes -- a good sign for Chase drafters hoping for a resurgence in the fantasy playoffs. Before his hip injury, Chase led the team with a 28 percent target share and a 35 percent air yards share. His elite playmaking ability should make Chase a high-end WR1 in Week 14 against a burnable Cleveland coverage unit.
Dec 4, 2022, 7:45 PM ET

Ja'Marr Chase caught 7-of-13 targets for 60 yards and a touchdown in the Bengals' Week 15 win against the Bucs.​

Chase nearly came down with two long receptions, either of which would have made for a far more efficient day. Still, a 34 percent target share is heady stuff in the high-flying Bengals passing attack. Even with Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins active, Chase was Joe Burrow's clearcut No. 1 option. He came down with a short fourth quarter touchdown toss from Burrow to pull away from the Bucs. Chase has thrived this season despite seeing one of the highest double team rates in the NFL. He'll be a WR1 once again in Week 16 against a tough New England coverage unit.
Dec 18, 2022, 8:50 PM ET

Ja'Marr Chase caught 9-of-12 targets for 84 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals' Wild Card win over the Ravens.​

Chase was targeted early and often in this one, doing heavy lifting in the first half to include the opening touchdown of the game from seven yards out. He had a much quieter second half as the Bengals struggled to move the ball, catching three passes on the opening drive of the second frame and going without a catch the rest of the way. There's no doubting his importance to this offense, which will be put to the test against the stout Bills secondary when the Bengals travel to Buffalo to face the two-seed in the Divisional Round.
Jan 15, 2023, 11:55 PM ET

Ja'Marr Chase caught 5-of-8 targets for 61 yards and one touchdown in the Bengals' Divisional Round win over the Bills.​

Chase found a soft spot in the Bills' zone for a TD on the Bengals' first drive of the game. It was unclear why the Bills zone vacated the entire deep middle of the field, but Chase took advantage with a 28-yard score. Chase very nearly scored a 10-yard TD in the second quarter, but it was overturned on replay after it determined that Chase did not maintain possession as he went out of bounds. Chase also helped the Bengals score their second TD of the day by drawing defensive attention on a screen look, opening up Hayden Hurst for a 15-yard score. Chase will be an elite fantasy option against the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game.
Jan 22, 2023, 6:30 PM ET

Pretty interesting that there was ZERO discussion of Chase between May and now.

We all know exactly what he is I guess.

A great route runner, burner, and after-the-catch guy with hands that are actually less than incredible when you look at drop and catch rate.

A great route runner, burner, and after-the-catch guy with hands that are actually less than incredible when you look at drop and catch rate.
Yep. Add in elite body control and great at positioning himself to make catch. Overpowering strength on most corners. If him and Burrow stay together for the next ten years his stats are gonna be amazing.

Health is always key.

The hip injury last year still has me concerned. He missed four weeks and came back at what they were calling one hundred percent. But it's a ball and socket joint. Once those start getting messed with, who knows where it winds up.

And the drama with his on-again, off-again girlfriend is also worrisome.

Ja’Marr Chase caught 5-of-9 targets for 39 yards in the Bengals’ Week 1 loss to the Browns.

The Bengals were stifled by Cleveland’s defense at nearly every turn this week, preventing Chase from putting together a usable fantasy day. He still led the team in targets en route to a 28 percent target share, though most of his looks came close to the line of scrimmage. He will look to rebound in Week 2 against the Ravens. Fantasy managers should still view Chase as a top-three fantasy receiver despite the down week.

- Rotoworld

fellow Chase owners

are we staying calm and panic free? everything zen?

in redraft I took Chase in with the 2nd and Burrow in the 5th round

been a blast so far

Last edited:
fellow Chase owners

in redraft I took Chase in the 2nd and Burrow in the 5th

been a blast so far
How did you get Chase in the second?

He was a top 3 pick everywhere all preseason.

I own him, and am 0-2 somewhat because of him.

I’m not panicking yet.

Sigmund Bloom today, on "On the Couch", suggested that Burrow won't be fully healthy for 6-8 months. He strongly recommended selling Chase while you still can, as his value completely depends on catching contested throws downfield - which Burrow can't.

If we do, who do we think it's a decent target? Bloom suggested Michael Pittman.

fellow Chase owners

in redraft I took Chase in the 2nd and Burrow in the 5th

been a blast so far
How did you get Chase in the second?

He was a top 3 pick everywhere all preseason.

I own him, and am 0-2 somewhat because of him.

I’m not panicking yet.

I'm sorry I have the mind of a butterfly today

I got Chase with the 2nd pick 1.02

took his QB at 5.02

Sigmund Bloom today, on "On the Couch", suggested that Burrow won't be fully healthy for 6-8 months. He strongly recommended selling Chase while you still can, as his value completely depends on catching contested throws downfield - which Burrow can't.

If we do, who do we think it's a decent target? Bloom suggested Michael Pittman.

have heard/read this a few places today - he cannot drive throws with an injured calf, basically incapable of throwing deep vertical passes

just feels like I am doomed rn lol

First time I’ve ever had a chase share. Fell to 1.05 in a 10-team league.

I couldn’t believe my luck.

:wall:

Oh yeah, I have Higgins across all 3 dynasty teams and 2 redrafts. At least he had a good week 2.

I found the media's failure to identify the improvement in the passing attack in the second half of week 2 to be strange. I think there's value in a Burrow/Chase/Higgins stack in Week 3, sore calf be damned.

I found the media's failure to identify the improvement in the passing attack in the second half of week 2 to be strange. I think there's value in a Burrow/Chase/Higgins stack in Week 3, sore calf be damned.
Maybe he got some bengay at halftime? I think this issue is this is not going away and could potentially get worse. I was expecting a huge year from Chase and it seems like the odds are against that now.

To put things in perspective. In 2022–he was getting drafted with the second or third pick based on ESPN average ADP for PPR leagues. He finished the season as WR11 in total points and WR4 in regards to points per game. However, one thing to note when it comes to the points per game—WR’s4-6 all effectively averaged 20 fantasy points per game in 2022 (the differences were fractional). I’m not saying that the dude isn’t elite—he clearly is a huge talent. I just think that he’s a guy that is getting drafted too early in redraft leagues. Last year, he had 3-4 big games that moved him up the fantasy WR leaderboard—and hopefully the same happens this season.

Shaping up to be a disastrous 1st pick.
Yep. I steered clear of him in all my redraft leagues, but in my keeper league he killed me last year missing time and now this year with Burrow being off. The Burrow injury was the reason I steered clear in redraft. The toughest thing about having Chase is that he will always be ranked in the top 5-10, but the reality his is probably benchable if/until the Bengals turn it around on the field this year.

Yep. I steered clear of him in all my redraft leagues, but in my keeper league he killed me last year missing time and now this year with Burrow being off. The Burrow injury was the reason I steered clear in redraft. The toughest thing about having Chase is that he will always be ranked in the top 5-10, but the reality his is probably benchable if/until the Bengals turn it around on the field this year.

And let's face it, their goal is/was the SuperBowl. Once it becomes clear they won't get there, they might well shut down Burrow to allow him to heal.

Tough to learn the hard way but here we are. I'm starting Skyy or J Reed over him this week SMH

Tough to learn the hard way but here we are. I'm starting Skyy or J Reed over him this week SMH
Not sure I'd bench him for Skyy or Reed personally but could see it. Reed has similar targets but has been less efficient despite scoring. Watson could be back too. Skyy hasn't gotten many targets, but Toney might be out. Dunno. I've had Nico Collins on my bench and strongly considering him this week in place of Chase.

Not sure I'd bench him for Skyy or Reed personally but could see it. Reed has similar targets but has been less efficient despite scoring. Watson could be back too. Skyy hasn't gotten many targets, but Toney might be out. Dunno. I've had Nico Collins on my bench and strongly considering him this week in place of Chase.

If I had a better option like Nico I would absolutely put him in over Chase this week, esp if Stroud plays.

It may not be fully healthy for 6-8 months but it can be managed. It's a tricky lingering injury prone to setbacks as we just saw but he might be showing little effects of this in a few weeks and that's not being overly optimistic IMO, especially since he started looking pretty good in the second half this last week.

As for Chase's value being dependent on contested catches downfield, I'm not seeing that. He's good at it sure, and he's asked for the offense to be more aggressive and take shots, but his aDot right now is 7.4. Was 12 his rookie season, 9.2 last year. He's evolved a lot since his rookie season into more then that guy needing to catch deep passes.

Meanwhile Higgins aDot for this season is more then doubling Chase's, he's at 18.9 which is 4th highest in the league. Even last year he was about 1.5 yards higher then Chase.

This notion that Chase is the deep threat guy and Higgins is the short to intermediate guy has not really existed since 2021. This last week when Higgins had the big game his air yards were right over 4X the amount of Chase's, which to me suggests it's a bit of an over simplification that Burrow's issues are not being able to push the ball.

I'm concerned about all of this and not trying to suggest it's nothing but I don't think it's doom and gloom either and frankly I'm more concerned with Higgins.

Certainly not dealing in dynasty, but who is benching?

One more bed-crapping and I might have to.
I keep going back and forth.

In a 10 teamer, the only league I have him, I have Chase, Lamb, ARSB, Ridley, & Nico. And 4 spots for them.

If Burrow starts, I’m starting him. Another bust week & he’ll be on the bench.

I would contend that Chase is good enough to be QB proof, but I am equally happy to be holding zero Chase shares at the same time

Users who are viewing this thread