What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (2 Viewers)

Rivers' demise was exaggerated. Had one down year in which he still threw 26 TDs. Of course he can sustain it. Miami has a pass rush but is it a defense to fear?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is such a thing as limited starting lineup spots and a number of similar choices. Many people who picked up Allen would still have other very good WRs.

The similar choices are either your really good back ups or players u should have attempted to package for studs

Might be chasing some Cooper points on that one. He's been the beneficiary of some bad secondary play and I'll say even...luck. Allen had a down game last week, but so did the majority of the Chargers offense. I think Allen is the safer play due to targets and usage. The Skins are a nice match up for sure though so I can see the draw of starting Cooper.

I'm flip-flopping over Josh Gordon vs Allen myself....but that's an A/C question :cool:
I am too now. I thought I was going Gordon over Allen but now that I made the egregious error of starting Hilton. Also the latest Dodds rankings don't help either.

Unless u play in a 6 team league, Allen should be stArted every week. 100+ yards this week
Benching him for Marshall/Garcon/Decker and ABrown at flex, though I'd love to bump one of them for him I can't bring myself to do it.

Cleveland at Cincy doesn't exactly feel great but isn't Cin D a shell of itself?
No Geno Atkins, Burfect banged up, I think Newman's banged up a little bit. That defense is hurting. I'd be incline to play Gordon.
The Defense still played really well vs balt last week.

I dont think that Clev O is that much better than Balt O, similar, but Cincy playing at home on D has been really good.

Cleveland at Cincy doesn't exactly feel great but isn't Cin D a shell of itself?
No Geno Atkins, Burfect banged up, I think Newman's banged up a little bit. That defense is hurting. I'd be incline to play Gordon.

I dont think that Clev O is that much better than Balt O, similar, but Cincy playing at home on D has been really good.
Yeah, I assumed the CIN's low points allowed to QBs and WRs was mostly weighted by early season performances, but they have still put together some good games since the injuries. They are obviously no longer dominant, but they haven't turned into a sieve the way Chicago has due to their injuries.

Yeah, I assumed the CIN's low points allowed to QBs and WRs was mostly weighted by early season performances, but they have still put together some good games since the injuries. They are obviously no longer dominant, but they haven't turned into a sieve the way Chicago has due to their injuries.
Gordon...Allen....Gordon...Allen... :oldunsure:

Wouldn't you factor in their QBs? A guy like Cambell is a big deterrent for me.

On that note...can Rivers sustain his "good qb" stature he seems to have reclaimed? Last summer he was thought to be "toast", "stick a fork in him".

PEDs?
I think Rivers is already starting to see some return to Earth from the beginning of the season. But I believe Mike McCoy is very good at knowing how to utilize his players' skills. Rivers will remain a good QB, and the offense has enough weapons to stay at least above average.

And remember, even during Rivers struggles last year, Danario Alexander put up some pretty good numbers (for a 5 week stretch). If the rapport continues to build, and Allen has the skills to adjust to the increased coverage, he can make the 2nd year jump that we've seen in guys like Julio and AJ Green, although I don't think he'll ascend to quite those levels. But a low-end WR1 or a very consistent top WR2 is realistic, IMO.

The similar choices are either your really good back ups or players u should have attempted to package for studs
Lots of attempts, no takers.

Demaryius Thomas (draft)

Desean Jackson (draft)

Victor Cruz (draft)

Percy Harvin (waivers)

Roddy White (trade)

And Keenan Allen (waivers).

The folks calling Allen a no-brainer starter don't have a very deep team. For others, it's a tough choice (good problem to have though).

Lots of attempts, no takers.

Demaryius Thomas (draft)

Desean Jackson (draft)

Victor Cruz (draft)

Percy Harvin (waivers)

Roddy White (trade)

And Keenan Allen (waivers).

The folks calling Allen a no-brainer starter don't have a very deep team. For others, it's a tough choice (good problem to have though).
In a start-3 WR league, Allen is your 3rd WR. He should be a no-brainer start for you. The only player I could see you POSSIBLY starting over him as your WR3 might be Cruz, but he hasn't done much since week 4, & Eli isn't getting the ball in the EZ this year. I don't see this as a tough choice at all.

I see what you mean. In one league, he pretty much is a no brainer since my WR depth is hurting a little. In another league I have him in, we only start 2 WRs and a W/R/T. So my 2 WRs are Bryant and Garcon. For my flex spot, its between Allen, Woodhead, Vereen, and Roddy White. This week, yes Allen in a no brainer for me. But next week, gonna be tough to pick just one of those 4.

In a start-3 WR league, Allen is your 3rd WR. He should be a no-brainer start for you. The only player I could see you POSSIBLY starting over him as your WR3 might be Cruz, but he hasn't done much since week 4, & Eli isn't getting the ball in the EZ this year. I don't see this as a tough choice at all.
Yup, I agree. This guy doesn't have as deep a team that he thinks he does. Allen is a no-brainer WR3 for him over Cruz. And Allen *is* a no-brainer starter for the large majority of owners lucky enough to have him, even with moderately deep squads.

Yup, I agree. This guy doesn't have as deep a team that he thinks he does. Allen is a no-brainer WR3 for him over Cruz. And Allen *is* a no-brainer starter for the large majority of owners lucky enough to have him, even with moderately deep squads.
It's possible that you have 3 WRs that are better than Allen. But (and this is usually seen when dealing with trades), FF owners tend to over-value the guys they drafted/traded for. So, even though Allen has out-performed Cruz, he still values him more. He traded for Roddy (probably, like I did-expecting him to be a great WR3 down the stretch; I still do hope for that, after this week against Revis), so he values him over Allen. But the fact is that those guys aren't ahead of Allen at this time, not in FF.

Just checked in with a few "expert" rankings for this week.

Dodds, Tremblay, CBS "Average", and ESPN like Cruz over Allen.

FFToday has it even.

Bloom likes Allen over Cruz.

Over on FantasyPros, the average of 130 experts puts Cruz at 11 and Allen at 17. Of the 130, 75% have Cruz>Allen.

I can see a case for Allen for sure, but it's not anywhere in the vicinity of a no-brainer.

Just checked in with a few "expert" rankings for this week.

Dodds, Tremblay, CBS "Average", and ESPN like Cruz over Allen.

FFToday has it even.

Bloom likes Allen over Cruz.

Over on FantasyPros, the average of 130 experts puts Cruz at 11 and Allen at 17. Of the 130, 75% have Cruz>Allen.

I can see a case for Allen for sure, but it's not anywhere in the vicinity of a no-brainer.
Since Allen became a starter (week 4), he has outscored Cruz every week they both played, except week 4. If you draft your team/pick your starters solely on the "experts" picks, then why is there even an issue? Just start who they tell you to start.

For me, I look at the situations for myself, and Allen has been more consistent, has the better QB, catches more balls, & has less competition.

Are there going to be times when Allen has a bad game, and other WRs have better ones? Absolutely, but the same goes for Calvin, Dez, AJ, etc & I'm not benching those guys either, no matter what the "experts" say.

Look you said Allen over Cruz was a no-brainer, and I have no doubt you believe that.

I'm just pointing out that you're in the minority. Lots of folks are looking at the same data/trends/situations etc., and most of them are coming to the opposite conclusion.

Gordon...Allen....Gordon...Allen... :oldunsure:
Right there with ya bud.

Look you said Allen over Cruz was a no-brainer, and I have no doubt you believe that.

I'm just pointing out that you're in the minority. Lots of folks are looking at the same data/trends/situations etc., and most of them are coming to the opposite conclusion.
I think most of them are ignoring the trends and looking at Cruz's entire body of work and the matchup. They're ignoring Eli's monstrous struggles and the fact that Rivers is having a career year. Everyone weighs the different factors at different importance. It's a personal decision. But it's kind of annoying to post "expert" rankings as evidence to why one should start over the other. We all know where to find the rankings.

I think most of them are ignoring the trends and looking at Cruz's entire body of work and the matchup. They're ignoring Eli's monstrous struggles and the fact that Rivers is having a career year. Everyone weighs the different factors at different importance. It's a personal decision. But it's kind of annoying to post "expert" rankings as evidence to why one should start over the other. We all know where to find the rankings.
My intention wasn't to provide evidence to why one should start over the other.

My intention was to illustrate it isn't a no-brainer. A no-brainer is something everyone (or most everyone) ought to agree on. Clearly we don't have that situation here.

These are the same "experts" who kept pegging T-Rich as a viable RB1/RB2 candidate for the 1st 1/2 of the season, despite the fact that to me (and many other people) there is no way he should have been. l

"Experts" are slow to react, for the most part. It's easier to recommend the "name" player over a new guy. If you're wrong about a "name" player, you can blame it on the name. If you pick the lesser known guy over the "name," and the "name" does better, you look like you don't know what you are doing.

Again, if you want to let the experts pick your starters, good luck to you. Allen, IMO, is the better choice as your WR3.

I don't let the experts pick my starters for me. I pick my own starters, and IMO I've got a classic WDIS dilemma.

So when you characterized it as a no-brainer, I got curious enough to see what folks in the "expert" arena thought. Turns out I was right, that no-brainer doesn't seem to fit too well.

Good luck this week :highfive:

I have Keenan Allen in one dynasty league, and I can't shake this feeling that I should be trying to sell high right now.

I like him, but a lot of people seemed to have vaulted him very high on the WR rankings based on half a season. Seems more than a bit premature to me.

In a complete quandary as to whether I start him or not.

I have V Jax and Garçon starting as my two WRs this week, and a choice of Bernard, Allen, Gordon or Fitzgerald in the flex.

Ten man league. Clearly Allen is not always a no brainer in anything over a six man league.

TartanLion said:
In a complete quandary as to whether I start him or not.

I have V Jax and Garçon starting as my two WRs this week, and a choice of Bernard, Allen, Gordon or Fitzgerald in the flex.

Ten man league. Clearly Allen is not always a no brainer in anything over a six man league.
Same here. My choice is between Antonio Brown and Allen. Safe points vs upside. In the end it comes down to matchup, whether you are favored and need the upside of allen.

He could easily go off for 26 in PPR. I am also inclined to think Maimi is a target.. for both Offensive players and DST units with the Incognito incident. If distractions get out of hand, look out..

Brent Grimes is short and has problems wrapping up on tackles, he is however a threat to take the ball on any given throw so QBs shy away from him a bit. Allen will be fine tomorrow.

Next to AJ Green he's (Allen) been my next best WR. I don't feel great about him this week but I have no better alternatives. Nicks has been a disappointment and I'm rolling with Harvin in my flex over Antonio Gates (I have Gronk at TE).

I am not worried about Allen due to his tough matchup. I am more worried about lack of targets . The chargers should have no problem running against this defense. I think San Diego slows down the game and controls the clock running the ball.

The good news is Miami just jumped ahead 17-10 midway thru the 3rd Q, would seem to be Keenan Allen time. He is definitely a big improvement over Vincent Brown and Eddie Royal who seem to have no moves. Allen looks dangerous when he has the ball.

Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Keenan Allen left Sunday's Week 11 game at Miami in the second half with an apparent right knee injury.

Nov 17 - 7:00 PM

Users who are viewing this thread