What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (1 Viewer)

Gus Bradley's Jacksonville Jaguars springing from full makeover

Albert Breer

NFL Media reporter

Week 9 seemed like no time to give the Jacksonville Jaguars a week off last fall. To anyone, that is, but their head coach.

It was then that Gus Bradley started to see that what he and general manager David Caldwell had set out to accomplish some 10 months earlier was starting to take root. Jacksonville was coming off a 42-10 drubbing at the hands of the San Francisco 49ers in London, and hitting the midway point of the season at 0-8.

"It'd be easy to come back and say, 'OK, you guys get three days off, then we're going back to work at the end of the week,' " Bradley said, prior to a walkthrough this past Wednesday. "But I really sensed the team was getting better. We were improving each week. So we gave them the week off. And you'd have to ask them, but I think they looked at that and said, 'We're 0-8, but we can see that we're getting better.' That validated everything."

The validation that would come next was modest (a 4-4 finish to the 2013 season) but striking (when compared with the team's winless start).

That's why, when you count teams that are on the rise heading into the 2014 campaign, it's impossible to exclude this resurgent group. Last year, Caldwell and Bradley tore the whole thing down, churning the roster in the way the Seattle Seahawks did when GM John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll arrived in 2010 -- something Bradley witnessed firsthand as the team's defensive coordinator. The hope is that this Jaguars season will reflect how the club is building itself up.

Few teams -- not just contemporarily speaking, but in recent memory -- have undergone the radical change that the Jags have over the last year and a half. Just seven draft picks remain from previous regimes, and 39 of the 53 players now on the active roster were acquired by the (still) new guys. Only five projected starters (receiver Cecil Shorts III, right tackle Cameron Bradfield, tight end Marcedes Lewis, quarterback Chad Henne and linebacker Paul Posluszny) predate Caldwell and Bradley.

And maybe that's why, in the section of the game notes where most teams have a chart titled "How (Team X) Was Built," Jacksonville has a table that says "How the Jaguars Are Being Built." This is, admittedly, still a work in progress. The difference in 2014? Bradley doesn't need to sell the program anymore. The players have already bought in.

"One common theme, every team has in camp is to just get better every day," Bradley said. "It's almost a cliché. And that's how we talk, but we try to take it to another level. I was in college football for 20 years. And at that level, you have developmental coaches, because it's, This is who we have, and we have to make them better. In the NFL, you can fall into the trap where it's, If we don't like who have, we'll get someone better.

"So we were trying to have that developmental mindset in the NFL: This is who we have -- let's get better."

Part of the reason they needed to have that mindset was because they got, and continue to get, so young. Twenty-six of their 53 are rookies or second-year pros, and only Seahawks import Chris Clemons and kicker Josh Scobee are older than 30.

And that's by design, but the way Bradley sees it, it also puts pressure on the coaches to accelerate the development of the team's youth -- something he saw in Seattle.

"When you look at the really good teams, they're experienced and fast," he explained. "Some teams are experienced and slow, and that's not ideal, or inexperienced and fast. We're still pretty inexperienced, but from last year to this year, we've gotten more speed. We're getting fast. So overall, you look at our team, we have inexperience, but we're faster. For us, the challenge is we're in this race to maturity, to become an experienced, fast team as quickly as possible."

Part of the plan to do that, eventually, will mean getting first-round pick Blake Bortles on the field.

That just isn't happening now, not even after the rookie quarterback aced the statistical (32-of-51 passing for 521 yards and two touchdowns with zero interceptions -- a 110.0 QB rating) and eye tests during the preseason. On one hand, Bradley says, "It's hard to learn to swim reading a book." On the other, while acknowledging that Bortles is a Henne injury away, Bradley is stressing development with his young signal-caller.

"With Chad, we're looking at it and (saying), Here's a guy that has experience and, with another year in the system, is playing faster," Bradley said. "We've got a guy that's experienced and playing fast, and that's what we want. Blake's got inexperience, but he's really progressing fast, and there are so many learning opportunities for him playing behind Chad."

The plan going forward is to feed Bortles a limited number of first-team reps in practice -- in addition to his scout team work -- to keep pushing his development. Meanwhile, he'll continue the individual work with offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch in trying to become more of a passer where he's been a thrower, and more of a quarterback where he's been a football player.

Therein, Bortles will deliver what Bradley wants from all of his players: to have them constantly compete. To that end, the coach has pointed out to the team what that word -- compete -- meant 200 years ago. It wasn't to fight against another competitor. It was simply about someone striving to be his best.

And when he looks back to 0-8 now, that foundation being laid is what he remembers and is one reason why he feels so good about what's ahead -- starting with Sunday's road game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"It was a great learning experience for me," Bradley said. "It challenges your conviction, it challenges your ability to be consistent and make sure you're the same guy. The challenge is not to get out of whack -- where this week, you're doing this, and next week, you're doing that. It's important to have conviction."

It's clear the Jags do.

Change:

Jacksonville Jaguars

@jaguars

Only 2 players on the #Jaguars starting offense started for JAX in Week 1 of '13.

#JAXvsPHI: bit.ly/JAXvsPHI14 pic.twitter.com/pEjQbA6L5Y

Good first half, terrible 2nd. The offense's inability to sustain any drives just sapped the defense, especially against the Eagles high tempo play. The Ertz touchdown looked to be on Telvin Smith. He'll figure it out. I didn't expect to win this game, but I am disappointed with having such a good lead at half. Overall, the arrow is pointing up except for....Henne.

I don't know how long they can justify going with Henne. I have been in the start Bortles camp since day 1. And why not put Borltes in there in garbage time?

Jags defense never same after Cyprien concussed.

I see them going with Henne next week...but you have to wonder how many close games Gus can let slip away before making the switch? I could see them going to the bullpen if close game next week and Henne struggles.

Sounds like Marqise Lee and Toby Gerhart will go this week while Shorts and Cyprien will not,.
Cyp being out hurts.
Hurts big. Maybe I'll revisit not starting RG3.
I know some of it had to do with the defense being tired, but it really went downhill once he left. Plus they pulled Craig Loston up from the practice squad for today's game. The deep middle of the field might be suspect today.

Bradley said he never even considered putting Bortles in. Why the #### not?
Because Henne was sacked 10 times, wouldn't you want to avoid Carr'ing your promising young QB?
Not taking anything away from Washington's defense, but Chad Henne was responsible for many of those sacks. Also, when, exactly, do you think the Jags are going to face a team that doesn't pressure the quarterback. He's going to have to face the fire sooner or later.

Because Henne was sacked 10 times, wouldn't you want to avoid Carr'ing your promising young QB?
Not taking anything away from Washington's defense, but Chad Henne was responsible for many of those sacks. Also, when, exactly, do you think the Jags are going to face a team that doesn't pressure the quarterback. He's going to have to face the fire sooner or later.
True. Just seems like there shouldn't be any rush to throw him into a game like that. And once you put him in, he's in for good. You can't bench him again to protect him just because you're playing a good pass rush.

Seems like they'd just rather have Henne take the punishment as long as possible.

True. Just seems like there shouldn't be any rush to throw him into a game like that. And once you put him in, he's in for good. You can't bench him again to protect him just because you're playing a good pass rush. Seems like they'd just rather have Henne take the punishment as long as possible.
I hear ya and I definitely prefer Henne take the punishment. I think putting Bortles in late still allows you to start Henne the next game. He needs some game experience. Plus, I am just plain ### tired of getting pummeled.

Cam Bradfield went from starter to unemployed today. He was terrible. I did think he was better when asked to play on the left side. Hopefully Pasztor is close to returning.

I also think that if (when) Henne starts off bad on Sunday, they'll insert Bortles. It's sooner than they wanted, especially given the state of the line, but they really have no choice. Aside from a couple of nice throws, Henne has been Gabbertesque.

Cam Bradfield went from starter to unemployed today. He was terrible. I did think he was better when asked to play on the left side. Hopefully Pasztor is close to returning.

I also think that if (when) Henne starts off bad on Sunday, they'll insert Bortles. It's sooner than they wanted, especially given the state of the line, but they really have no choice. Aside from a couple of nice throws, Henne has been Gabbertesque.
I think Bortles is tied to the OL situation. Pasztor has been practicing with a club on his hand. Don't know if he'll start at RT.

If he can't go , OL would look like

Joeckel (7 starts) Beadles Bowanko (rookie 1st start) Linder (rookie 3rd start) Sam Young (4starts)

McClendon has been benched at center. Don't know if he'll join Bradfield soon.

Social media rumor floating around town that one of Bortles' acquaintances posted a screenprint from "Blake" saying “just spoke with Gus and Dave”, and that “Chad’s gonna start but once we call your name that’s it for the next 15 years”.

@AlfieBCC: So, Gus Bradley basically Blake Bortles is ready to go, theyre just waiting for the situation to be right. Did I hear that right?

I didn't listen to it but the right situation would be Pasztor back at RT, Bowanko improving, and the health and proper assignments of the WR's.

I think Bortles is tied to the OL situation. Pasztor has been practicing with a club on his hand. Don't know if he'll start at RT.

If he can't go , OL would look like

Joeckel (7 starts) Beadles Bowanko (rookie 1st start) Linder (rookie 3rd start) Sam Young (4starts)

McClendon has been benched at center. Don't know if he'll join Bradfield soon.

Social media rumor floating around town that one of Bortles' acquaintances posted a screenprint from "Blake" saying just spoke with Gus and Dave, and that Chads gonna start but once we call your name thats it for the next 15 years.
They had no choice, really. If Henne was anything close to efficient, then he would still be the starter. I am obviously happy that BB is starting. He wasn't going to gain much more from holding the clipboard. He's going to make some head scratching mistakes, but that's to be expected. He's not afraid to make mistakes.

The o-line will suddenly look better, but there's work to be done there.

Gerhart looks really slow. I'm not too confident there. Denard needs the ball more, especially in space.

I am more than pleased with the WR's. AR15 looks like a matchup problem for DB's. Hurns keeps producing. I'm excited to see all four healthy and on the field. I'd like to jettison Mike Brown though.

The D. So bad. I'm not even sure what to say here. The first half against Philly, they looks like a formidable group. Now, they just look overmatched.

Alualu and Shorts are the only members left on the team from the 2010 and 2011 drafts.
Only four total from Gene Smith's Reign of Terror and one is a punter. Prosinski should have been gone long ago.

Meanwhile the Jags shake up the defense with Josh evans replacing Winston Guy at FS while JT Thomas takes over at strongside "OTTO" LB. Don't know if it's just rearranging the deck chairs.

As the LB struggle (just put Gates down for 150 yds and a TD for walking on the field and go from there), interesting look at Poz' struggles.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/9/23/6833699/paul-posluszny-jaguars-defense-issues

Happy with Bortles' first start. I am cool with the picks; he's a rookie, it's going to happen. What I am not cool with is Jedd Fisch going into a shell after Bortles' first pick. He's a big boy and has shown he isn't fragile. Stop being a weak ### play caller and limiting everything to the short stuff. Bull#### play calling.

Our linebackers are flat out terrible. There's no other way to put it. I love Poz, but dude is just a liability at this point. Might as well put Reynolds inside. He can't be worse. Geno Hayes was really bad today. Winston Guy does something every game that makes me shake my head. Not in a good way either.

Jaguars: Suspended Blackmon 'doing very well'

By MARK LONG

Oct. 1, 2014 7:26 PM EDT

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) Suspended Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Justin Blackmon has voluntarily checked into a treatment facility and seems to be doing well.

Coach Gus Bradley told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the former Oklahoma State star and 2012 first-round NFL draft pick "is doing very well and he's learning a lot." Bradley said he is getting updates from Blackmon's agent, who is Todd France.

"He's healing and taking time for himself," Bradley said. "The great thing is he has chosen this for himself. It's awesome to hear about."

Blackmon is checked into a 90-day program at an undisclosed location, Bradley said, and has completed nearly half of his commitment.

"It's a voluntary program he has chosen to do," Bradley said.

Blackmon was suspended without pay in November for repeated violations of the league's substance-abuse policy. He was previously suspended the first four games of last season for violating the policy. He played four games before getting suspended again at least for a year.

NFL rules prohibit coaches and general managers from having contact with players suspended indefinitely.

The Jaguars made it clear in May that they had lost contact with Blackmon. His NFL future looked even bleaker following his latest arrest July 23. Blackmon was arrested in the Oklahoma City suburb of Edmond on a complaint of marijuana possession.

Owner Shad Khan said the next day that Blackmon would remain on the roster.

"I think it's very important for him to get the help," Khan said. "I think that's the most important thing. ... I think it's good for him and good for us. We want him to get the help and really beat this."

Even before Blackmon's latest off-the-field issue, the Jaguars had decided to move on without him.

They selected receivers Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson in the second round of May's NFL draft. They also seemingly hit on undrafted rookie Allen Hurns, who has 12 catches for 254 yards and three touchdowns in four games.

Blackmon's decision to seek help he told reporters repeatedly that he didn't have a substance-abuse problem could be the first step in a possible return to the league.

He caught 29 passes for 415 yards and a touchdown in the four games he played last season and was the team's leading receiver during that stretch. He has 93 catches for 1,280 yards and six scores in 20 career games.

But his problems have overshadowed his play.

He was arrested on a misdemeanor DUI charge in Texas in 2010 after officers caught him speeding on a suburban Dallas highway. The charge was later reduced to an underage alcohol possession charge. A little more than a month after the Jaguars traded up to draft him fifth overall, he was arrested during a traffic stop in Stillwater, Oklahoma, after a breath test allegedly showed his blood alcohol content to be three times the legal limit. That landed him in the league's substance-abuse program.

A subsequent violation landed him the four-game suspension. Another one got him the indefinite suspension.

And then there was July's traffic stop that led to the marijuana possession charge.

___

AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFL

Has Joeckel been a disappointment? Too many things to watch on Sundays to pay attention to the JAX O-line.
I wouldn't say he's been a disappointment, but he's struggled some. He was never considered an elite LT and he's had so few games in the league, he needs time to develop. I think the skill is there, but he needs time.

Has Joeckel been a disappointment? Too many things to watch on Sundays to pay attention to the JAX O-line.
I wouldn't say he's been a disappointment, but he's struggled some. He was never considered an elite LT and he's had so few games in the league, he needs time to develop. I think the skill is there, but he needs time.
So which position is the leader in the clubhouse to be addressed with another high pick next year? Bookend tackle?

So which position is the leader in the clubhouse to be addressed with another high pick next year? Bookend tackle?
No. FS, DE.

No. FS, DE.
And at least 1 maybe two C/G in second/third round. And a RB somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackmon is checked into a 90-day program at an undisclosed location, Bradley said, and has completed nearly half of his commitment."It's a voluntary program he has chosen to do," Bradley said.

Blackmon was suspended without pay in November for repeated violations of the league's substance-abuse policy. He was previously suspended the first four games of last season for violating the policy. He played four games before getting suspended again — at least for a year.
Sounds like has about another 7 weeks of rehab left and then how many games are tacked on because of the July traffic stop?

Plus did he miss or fail any other tests while suspended?

Remember his suspension is indefinite, not a straight year.

I'm not sure how he hasn't been a disappointment so far. He's a bellow average T in the league and was drafted 2nd overall. Here's a blurb about Freeney dominating Joeckel last week. "Dwight Freeney, OLB: +3.4 (pass rush)

Breakdown: Collecting a pair of hits to go with four hurries, Freeney had his way with Jaguars left tackle Luke Joeckel. Rushing primarily from the right side (22 of his 24 pass-rushing snaps), Freeney earned a Pass Rushing Productivity mark of 20.5 from that side this week and his 22 total pressures leads his position group on the year."

The Jax oline currently ranks as the 31st run blocking unit and 32nd pass blocking unit in the NFL.

Sure, Jax needs a FS but you don't waste top 5 selections on S's unless they are S. Taylor caliber. None are. DE could be a real option as I think there will be a few guys how fly up draft boards as the season/offseason rolls on and challenge for top 5 consideration. We know there are already 2 T's that are in the conversation for top 5 picks however and we also know Jax oline is terrible, Joeckel is part of that problem and they have a young franchise QB to protect.

They may not go T, but it has to be an option IMO.

Blackmon is checked into a 90-day program at an undisclosed location, Bradley said, and has completed nearly half of his commitment.

"It's a voluntary program he has chosen to do," Bradley said.

Blackmon was suspended without pay in November for repeated violations of the league's substance-abuse policy. He was previously suspended the first four games of last season for violating the policy. He played four games before getting suspended again at least for a year.
Sounds like has about another 7 weeks of rehab left and then how many games are tacked on because of the July traffic stop?Plus did he miss or fail any other tests while suspended?

Remember his suspension is indefinite, not a straight year.
Yeah, I don't know if he'll even be able to suit up next year. A lot of unknowns with him. I'm still not counting on him playing.

No. FS, DE.
And at least 1 maybe two C/G in second/third round. And a RB somewhere.
And LB.

A lot of holes.

I'm not sure how he hasn't been a disappointment so far. He's a bellow average T in the league and was drafted 2nd overall. Here's a blurb about Freeney dominating Joeckel last week."Dwight Freeney, OLB: +3.4 (pass rush)

Breakdown: Collecting a pair of hits to go with four hurries, Freeney had his way with Jaguars left tackle Luke Joeckel. Rushing primarily from the right side (22 of his 24 pass-rushing snaps), Freeney earned a Pass Rushing Productivity mark of 20.5 from that side this week and his 22 total pressures leads his position group on the year."

The Jax oline currently ranks as the 31st run blocking unit and 32nd pass blocking unit in the NFL.

Sure, Jax needs a FS but you don't waste top 5 selections on S's unless they are S. Taylor caliber. None are. DE could be a real option as I think there will be a few guys how fly up draft boards as the season/offseason rolls on and challenge for top 5 consideration. We know there are already 2 T's that are in the conversation for top 5 picks however and we also know Jax oline is terrible, Joeckel is part of that problem and they have a young franchise QB to protect.

Well, I wouldn't say that a tackle won't be the pick there. There's 3/4 of the season to go. Given that Caldwell took Joeckel with his first ever selection, I'm not sure he'd write him off yet.

I'm not sure how he hasn't been a disappointment so far. He's a bellow average T in the league and was drafted 2nd overall. Here's a blurb about Freeney dominating Joeckel last week."Dwight Freeney, OLB: +3.4 (pass rush)

Well, I wouldn't say that a tackle won't be the pick there. There's 3/4 of the season to go. Given that Caldwell took Joeckel with his first ever selection, I'm not sure he'd write him off yet.
I wouldn't write him of either and agree he could still develop. I just don't think he's delivered what was hoped of him is all. They could easily draft a T and have the rookie play RT in year one or move Joeckel to RT. I think it's just important they add talent upfront I guess. Joeckel might be their best Olineman right now or by seasons end. Being the least stinky turd in the toilet isn't saying much, though.

The problem with drafting another T to play RT is that Pasztor, when healhy, has been solid there. Better off finding a true center and guard then if Joeckel still struggles look for a replacement

Users who are viewing this thread