What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (2 Viewers)

massraider said:
Jags to sign Ivory for 6 mill/year.  Per everyone on Twitter.
Toby is getting released tomorrow too. 

I would guess Ivory gets the goal line carries but Yeldon and Ivory are a nice combo

You have to wonder where this leaves Shoelace.  Jags still don't have a back who is a pure pass catcher.

But maybe with Julius and Marcedes , you leave the dump off to them and make sure the backs can pick up the blitz

You have to wonder where this leaves Shoelace.  Jags still don't have a back who is a pure pass catcher.

But maybe with Julius and Marcedes , you leave the dump off to them and make sure the backs can pick up the blitz
I think Denard is done. He's reached his potential, IMO. If they value a pass catching back, then the back end of the draft is where it's at.

Still an estimated $60M in cap room.

I think they like Yeldon's potential as a pass catcher. Heard the GM on espn radio two weeks ago raving at his potential in pass pro and catching. By the way are you a Philly guy? Noticed the Flyers jersey in your avatar. I've kinda adopted the Jags as my AFC team. Have always liked them since the Jimmy Smith/Taylor era and also enjoyed when they had the killer D line and would have street fights with the Steelers (who I despise!). Nice to see them on the rise again.

Hopefully they go after Robert Ayers now. Or else turn attention to decondary. And o linemen pool drying up

Oh, and with the signing of a new punter, we can finally lay the Gene Smith era to rest. The only draft pick remaining from his time is Tyson Alualu.

They have something like $60M in cap space remaining, yet they are going into the year with an unproven Dante Fowler and nothing else. Pathetic. 
I was thinking about this, and I was pretty shocked to see they didn't front-load these deals more than they did.   They have 60 mill in cap space, but could have had a lot less if they had give roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses, etc.  

Thinking about why they would do that, especially with the cap floor.  Every Raider and Jags fan has been hearing about this damn floor for years.  It's like the Y2K bug as far as I am concerned.  

It seems to reason that the Jags would front load, helping to reach the cap floor, and also help cap down the road.  Like the Raiders did.  

What I am thinking is that the Jags are going to sign several more free agents.  They might be planning on owning tier 2 free agents.  They may be planing on signing a LOT more players.  

I was thinking about this, and I was pretty shocked to see they didn't front-load these deals more than they did.   They have 60 mill in cap space, but could have had a lot less if they had give roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses, etc.  

Thinking about why they would do that, especially with the cap floor.  Every Raider and Jags fan has been hearing about this damn floor for years.  It's like the Y2K bug as far as I am concerned.  

It seems to reason that the Jags would front load, helping to reach the cap floor, and also help cap down the road.  Like the Raiders did.  

What I am thinking is that the Jags are going to sign several more free agents.  They might be planning on owning tier 2 free agents.  They may be planing on signing a LOT more players.  
I think they're structuring in a way to best protect themselves, in the event these FA's don't work out. Plus they plan on extensions for Bortles and AR next year. 

Still a lack of edge rushers on the roster, though. I don't think they had a plan B in place for Olivier Vernon. And it'll be evident.

I think they're structuring in a way to best protect themselves, in the event these FA's don't work out. Plus they plan on extensions for Bortles and AR next year. 

Still a lack of edge rushers on the roster, though. I don't think they had a plan B in place for Olivier Vernon. And it'll be evident.
I still think not getting Vernon will wind up being a good move.  I take Malik over Vernon all day long, just my own personal choice.  

You think they may re-sign Andre Branch?  Always thought he had decent potential.

I still think not getting Vernon will wind up being a good move.  I take Malik over Vernon all day long, just my own personal choice.  

You think they may re-sign Andre Branch?  Always thought he had decent potential.
Love the Malik signing. Still need more horses.

We won't re-sign Branch, either. At least I hope not. He's not good.

They have something like $60M in cap space remaining, yet they are going into the year with an unproven Dante Fowler and nothing else. Pathetic. 

Fowler Jr. emulates Ray Lewis and wants to be a vocal leader on and off the field like the former Baltimore Ravens linebacker was. The defensive end also has a notable sense of humor. He calls himself “The Shaq of football.”
At least Dante is doing his imitation of Ray pretty well- that fight was a good start, but maybe not enough to convince Jags fans.

@JosinaAnderson:
Beachum told me he was literally on the plane just now when the #Jags asked if he could get off. But, door is now closed. Talks continue.

Oh, come on. Act like you've been there before Jaguars. 

So Beachum gets a 2 year deal for 4.5 Mil this year and another 1.5 Mil in incentives.

Sounds like Joeckel is gonna be shown the door either next year or this.  Draft day trade?

So Beachum gets a 2 year deal for 4.5 Mil this year and another 1.5 Mil in incentives.

Sounds like Joeckel is gonna be shown the door either next year or this.  Draft day trade?
If it's for an edge rusher, maybe. Luke is going to have a major advantage, as Beachum will be sidelined for OTA's and probably training camp. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you guys seen any figures on where they are at on it, and how much they have to make up to avoid writing a check to their roster?

Kind of piecing together from multiple places.   Looks like they were $28m short going into this year, plus 89% for this year is about $138m.  So $166m they need to spend this year.

Overthecap and Spotrac have a $5m difference, about $119.7m or $124m in salaries, roster and workout bonuses this year. I think the bigger number includes Justin Blackmon for the biggest share of the difference so will go with the lower assuming he doesn't get paid.

The players this year who got signing bonuses... Jackson has a $10m signing bonus, Gipson $4m, and Ivory $5m, and Nortman $1.5m  So that's another $20.5m.    So ballpark assuming the various sources are right of around $140.2m.

The one thing I'm walking away from this with that is interesting is... let's say the Jags have to cut a $20m check which goes to players on the roster.  Does that count against the Jaguar's salary cap then?  I don't really see anything addressing it either way clearly in the CBA.

Let's say it does go against their cap (which I'm guessing might not be the case?)... if so then a team would be idiots to not just turn some future money they are likely to pay into immediate signing bonuses to meet the amount.  They'll just be handing cash away and losing the same amount in cap room without getting anything for the money, otherwise.

But let's say on the other hand it does not hit their cap.  In that case, by just cutting the check but not having it hit the cap, they've pretty much increased their future salary cap by $20m relative to the teams who spent the money normally and had it hit their cap.  So a team willing to do it could use it to build up extra cap room for future use.  Though when they finally do pay players with it, they'll have spent $40m out of pocket for $20m worth of player time.

Upshot of the Carson Wentz deal:

Huge long-term bonus for Titans but short-term help for Jags. Assuming QB go 1-2, Jaguars guaranteed one of Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Joey Bosa on board at #5.

Possibly 2 of them if somebody drafts or trades up for Tunsil at 3 or 4.

Upshot of the Carson Wentz deal:

Huge long-term bonus for Titans but short-term help for Jags. Assuming QB go 1-2, Jaguars guaranteed one of Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Joey Bosa on board at #5.

Possibly 2 of them if somebody drafts or trades up for Tunsil at 3 or 4.
they were gonna have a look at 2 really good def players pretty much no matter what, now they have some more options

would like for any one of those 3 to go there, who you prefer here @JaxBill? Pass rusher or other

I wouldn't be upset with Bosa at 1.05 but I think he's a really good college player with limited upside.

Absolute best-case scenario for Bosa to Jags would be if he turned into Chris Long - very good player but not one who dictates tailoring your gameplan.

(And yes, a 23 year old Chris Long would most definitely be an upgrade for that line.)

I wouldn't be upset with Bosa at 1.05 but I think he's a really good college player with limited upside.

Absolute best-case scenario for Bosa to Jags would be if he turned into Chris Long - very good player but not one who dictates tailoring your gameplan.

(And yes, a 23 year old Chris Long would most definitely be an upgrade for that line.)
I honestly will be happy with any of those three.

What if Tunsil makes it to 5? Good problem to have?

I think if Tunsil makes it to 5, you see if there's an opportunity to move back a couple spots (but not many).

Would still rather see them draft defense though.

Tonight is the schedule reveal.

Otherwise known as "Which December Thursday will the Jaguars get their primetime game against the Titans?"

Wouldn't mind them doing something different like the Raiders at Jags in prime time.  (Carr vs Bortles; Return of JDR; Camera pans to shot of Luke Del Rio  who drove up from Gainesville)

meh, was left with bosa/buckner and nobody biting on a deal to move back some spots in the Shark Pool Mock

was hoping Dal would pass on Jack, they didnt, was hoping to get SF or philly to trade up for goff, they didnt, was hoping to get someone like CHI to move up, and maybe take the OSU LB at 11 and pickup a 2nd or 3rd, nobody bit. So i took Bosa

meh, was left with bosa/buckner and nobody biting on a deal to move back some spots in the Shark Pool Mock

was hoping Dal would pass on Jack, they didnt, was hoping to get SF or philly to trade up for goff, they didnt, was hoping to get someone like CHI to move up, and maybe take the OSU LB at 11 and pickup a 2nd or 3rd, nobody bit. So i took Bosa
It was the right pick. 

Green Bay

@San Diego

Baltimore

Indianapolis

BYE

@Chicago

Oakland

@Tennessee

@Kansas City

Houston

@Detroit

@Buffalo

Denver

Minnesota

@Houston

Tennessee

@Indianapolis

That early London game blows. A week 5 bye means 12 straight weeks to end the season.

Users who are viewing this thread