What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (3 Viewers)

Sunday could also be a good time to look at Gabbert's development. Britton and Bradfield have practiced all week so the line should be stronger. Bengals have Kirkpatrick out and two more corners doubtful. The only thing holding the Jags back from chucking the ball is the temptation to attack the Bengals 30th ranked run defense and keep AJ Green and company off the field.

'JaxBill said:
Sunday could be a rather historical game for the franchise. Fred Taylor is inducted into the Ring of Honor("Pride of the Jaguars"). It is also the last time that teal will be the primary home jersey.http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Teal-to-become-Jaguars-alternate-jersey/24d0a35a-db33-4dec-9f71-db920207b68b
Big weekend for Fred. He will get honored on Sunday at the game and his son Kelvin Taylor just had his show down game with Derrick Henry, the two top producing running backs in the history of Florida high school football. Hopefully for the Jaguars the game on Sunday will turn out better, Kelvin's team lost 42-6 in spite of his 222 yards. Kelvin has rushed for more than 10,000 yards in high school.

'JaxBill said:
Sunday could also be a good time to look at Gabbert's development. Britton and Bradfield have practiced all week so the line should be stronger. Bengals have Kirkpatrick out and two more corners doubtful. The only thing holding the Jags back from chucking the ball is the temptation to attack the Bengals 30th ranked run defense and keep AJ Green and company off the field.
My thoughts exactly. The Bengals might be vulnerable to the pass with the CBs out but I expect the Jags to run until they stop them since they would love to keep that Bengals offense off the field as much as possible. With the expected return of Rashad Jennings, the Jaguars should be able to maintain a rushing attack if it is working.

I am not the least bit impressed or happy with the color of teal as the primary color of this franchise being changed to black. Teal is a very distinctive and different color for a franchise's primary color, if you ask me, any team can switch to black and easily get lost in the mix of teams who wear black as their primary color. If you were to ask me, which teams use teal as their primary color, only two teams come to mind, the Jacksonville Jaguars and the San Jose Sharks. I could probably name atleast 10 sports franchises that wear black before I even thought about Jaguars, and it will take a long time for that to change.

How important is it to get back Bradfield and Britton?

So, early in the Week 1 matchup Gabbert was 9-of-13 for 103 yards and a touchdown on the first three drives of the game. That was also the the only three offensive series of the game where the Jaguars had their full offensive line intact, and Gabbert picked up the remaining 157 yards on the day in 26 pass attempts on the final nine drives of the game, including the late 39-yard touchdown pass.Gabbert's yards-per-attempt (YPA) tanked from a very respectable 7.9 to a below average 6.0. Once Eben Britton and Cameron Bradfield left the game, it effectively wiped out the Jaguars game plan in the passing attack and Gabbert was under constant pressure from the right side of the line, as Guy Whimper struggled in pass protection.
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/crows-nest/2012/9/28/3424402/jaguars-vs-bengals-2012-blaine-gabbert-fantasy-football

How important is it to get back Bradfield and Britton?

So, early in the Week 1 matchup Gabbert was 9-of-13 for 103 yards and a touchdown on the first three drives of the game. That was also the the only three offensive series of the game where the Jaguars had their full offensive line intact, and Gabbert picked up the remaining 157 yards on the day in 26 pass attempts on the final nine drives of the game, including the late 39-yard touchdown pass.Gabbert's yards-per-attempt (YPA) tanked from a very respectable 7.9 to a below average 6.0. Once Eben Britton and Cameron Bradfield left the game, it effectively wiped out the Jaguars game plan in the passing attack and Gabbert was under constant pressure from the right side of the line, as Guy Whimper struggled in pass protection.
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/crows-nest/2012/9/28/3424402/jaguars-vs-bengals-2012-blaine-gabbert-fantasy-football
So happy to likely have them back.

Blaine Gabbert's 4th quarter QB rating this year is 122.0.

:lmao: :unsure: :lmao:

Superstar!

Now he just needs to get QB rating in the other three quarters over 60. :)

Once again, they throw the ball a bunch and he just checks down. Scared to death to throw the ball down the field. Looks like they'll be drafting another QB next year and fire Gene Smith. They should end up with a top 3 pick in 2013.

Last week was totally disheartening. Not that the Bengals beat them but how. They faced a severely depleted secondary and the 31st ranked rush defense (coming in). ANd they only managed 10 points?

They lack in team speed and their depth is terrible. Mike Thomas has been terrible returning kicks.

I've been very patient with Gene Smith but now I'm in the Gene Must Go camp. The talent difference has gotten worse not better. And most of the talent they do have are Shack guys.

The part that drives me nuts is they draft all these former team captains and "smart", "mature" players and every third play it seems there's some mental error that knocks them back.

I've been patient, but a team in its 4th year of rebuilding should not be this inept. I don't understand how others still believe that Gene Smith is right for this organization. This is a results based business and the results have been poor.

This team is lacking in so many areas. There is no sugarcoating how bad Gene Smith's draft have been. He states that he builds through the draft, but the picks he traded away say otherwise. His "eye for talent" that we were spoon-fed is a falsehood. He does not draft BAP, rather he fixates in a player and does whatever is necessary to pick him (Alualu, Cox, punter in the third). His free agent acquisitions have been largely poor, as well. I count only a few good players drafted in his four years. This is pitiful (not even counting 2012):

Eugene Monroe

Eben Britton

Terrance Knighton

Derek Cox

Mike Thomas

Jarett Dillard

Zach Miller

Rashad Jennings

Tiquan Underwood

Tyson Alualu

D'Anthony Smith

Larry Hart

Austen Lane

Deji Karim

Scotty McGee

Blaine Gabbert

Will Rackley

Cecil Shorts III

Chris Prosinski

Rod Issac

Justin Blackmon

Andre Branch

Punter

Brandon Marshall

Mike Harris

Jeris Pendleton

I don't want Gene Smith touching another draft, ever.

This team just doesn't have the talent to compete. I hope Khan pulls the plug on Gene Smith. Soon.

Alfie is so funny.

I know I sounds like a broken record, but the Jaguars can't significantly improve through the rest of the season, they may not win another game and could lock down the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft before the season is even over.
Any team can improve. Things look pretty bad and if there is not significant improvement then clearly changes need to be made. But I am going to give it more than five weeks before I blow it up.

Jagaurs' London opponent is the Niners. So at least STHers avoid paying to watch a total beatdown.

The Jacksonville Jaguars will host the San Francisco 49ers at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, October 27, 2013, the NFL announced today.The game, which will kick off at 5:00 p.m. UK time (1:00 p.m. ET), will mark the first in London for the Jaguars, who earlier this year committed to play one regular-season home game in the United Kingdom in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016, all at Wembley.“By committing to play a regular-season home game in London in each of the next four years, the Jaguars will play a major role in helping grow our sport in the UK and beyond,” said NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL. “We think Jaguars-49ers is a match-up our fans will really enjoy and a great way to start a new era in the international development of our game.”Jaguars Owner SHAD KHAN confirmed the Jaguars’ 2013 International Series opponent while speaking at the Leaders in Sport conference at Chelsea FC.“Everyone associated with the Jacksonville Jaguars is very much looking forward to our four home games in London through 2016, and we’re particularly thrilled and honored that our first opponent will be the San Francisco 49ers,” Khan said. “This is a unique and important opportunity for the Jaguars franchise, as well as for our fans and community. To share this stage in our first year at Wembley with a rising power like the 49ers will bring additional attention and respect to what we’re trying to achieve as a franchise. We can’t wait to see our global vision for the Jaguars become reality next season.”

Has Blackmon really been so poor that he deserves mention in Smith's pitiful draft history?
Eugene Monroe was listed also so I think he listed all of the draft picks.Blackmon is showing signs of improvement and Branch has some promise.Derek Cox has played well when healthy but they gave up too much to make that pick and he does have nagging injuries.But yeah, that's a pretty dismal list.

'JaxBill said:
The dismal offensive showing has received most of the attention, but the DL has been a major disappointment this season.Now comes word that Alualu's offseason knee surgery was microfracture surgery.http://www.bigcatcountry.com/nfl-injury-report-jacksonville-jaguars/2012/10/10/3486118/tyson-alualu-bust-injury-microfracture-surgery-jaguars
Well, might be a plausible reason why he hasn't progressed as hoped.

'JaxBill said:
Has Blackmon really been so poor that he deserves mention in Smith's pitiful draft history?
Eugene Monroe was listed also so I think he listed all of the draft picks.Blackmon is showing signs of improvement and Branch has some promise.Derek Cox has played well when healthy but they gave up too much to make that pick and he does have nagging injuries.But yeah, that's a pretty dismal list.
Yeah, I was just listing all of Smith's draft picks during his tenure. I wasn't trying to pronounce anything negative about Blackmon or Branch. I've grown impatient with this team, but not so far as to label the 2012 draft class as good or bad picks.To be clear (excepting the 2012 draft class), Monroe and Cox are the only ones I see as impact players. I think Jennings is decent. But he hasn't seen much time in the backfield. It doesn't help that he was unnecessarily placed on IR last year.Shorts has made some big plays this year and is at least showing potential.Alualu has been a major disappointment. The micro-fracture surgery would help to explain things, maybe.Britton lost his job to an average undrafted OT.Mike Thomas' extension was a joke. He's just a guy.Maybe Rackley will develop. Kind of hard to do from IR.I don't know what to think about Knighton. I really don't.

'JaxBill said:
Eugene Monroe was listed also so I think he listed all of the draft picks.Blackmon is showing signs of improvement and Branch has some promise.

Derek Cox has played well when healthy but they gave up too much to make that pick and he does have nagging injuries.

But yeah, that's a pretty dismal list.
Yeah, I was just listing all of Smith's draft picks during his tenure. I wasn't trying to pronounce anything negative about Blackmon or Branch. I've grown impatient with this team, but not so far as to label the 2012 draft class as good or bad picks.To be clear (excepting the 2012 draft class), Monroe and Cox are the only ones I see as impact players.

I think Jennings is decent. But he hasn't seen much time in the backfield. It doesn't help that he was unnecessarily placed on IR last year.

Shorts has made some big plays this year and is at least showing potential.

Alualu has been a major disappointment. The micro-fracture surgery would help to explain things, maybe.

Britton lost his job to an average undrafted OT.

Mike Thomas' extension was a joke. He's just a guy.

Maybe Rackley will develop. Kind of hard to do from IR.

I don't know what to think about Knighton. I really don't.
Dude lost a ton of weight and is in the best shape of his football career and suddenly stinks. Maybe is one of those guys that needs to play fat. :confused:

I'm a Jags fan, but since I live out of state I really only get to see their nationally televised games or their "highlights". I live in Indy currently so I get to see them when they play the Colts.

I've been a Gabbert basher since they made the pick. I used to live in Missouri and saw a lot of Mizzou games...he sucks. Everyone hyped him because he was supposed to be smart and he had the measurables. But if you watched the game tape, you would see that he is not a football player.

Is Monroe that good? Seems like I remember him being hurt fairly often or just not performing up to his draft position. I was excited when they drafted Monroe and Britton that year because I believe in building your team through the trenches (like Coughlin did when the Jags first started). But they haven't panned out. Yet another failure by Gene Smith.

I also hated the Alualu pick. They drafted a DT that no one had heard of at #10?!?! Sure, at the time people were saying he could end up being a nice pick. But has he? Nope. Certainly not worth the #10 overall pick. Gene Smith fail.

Wasn't Derek Cox benched at some point last year? Inconsistent. Wonder if he would be a starter on most teams?

Mike Thomas...I almost choked when I saw the contract they signed him to. Gene Smith fail.

I really like Rashad Jennings and MJD. Ironically, I hated the MJD pick when they drafted him. I said he was a midget and would never be an NFL RB. But damn he plays with a chip on his shoulder and he's a bowling bowl with legs. I just wish they could get some talent around him.

I'm willing to give Blackmon some time. I think he has talent, but I feel sorry for him because of the "QB" he has to work with. I think he could be pretty good.

I hope Khan boots Gene Smith to the curb at some time this year or after the season. Guy is an arrogant joke. Maybe he and Pioli can start a support group for over rated, egotistical ex-general managers?

I'm a Jags fan, but since I live out of state I really only get to see their nationally televised games or their "highlights". I live in Indy currently so I get to see them when they play the Colts.

I've been a Gabbert basher since they made the pick. I used to live in Missouri and saw a lot of Mizzou games...he sucks. Everyone hyped him because he was supposed to be smart and he had the measurables. But if you watched the game tape, you would see that he is not a football player.

Is Monroe that good? Seems like I remember him being hurt fairly often or just not performing up to his draft position. I was excited when they drafted Monroe and Britton that year because I believe in building your team through the trenches (like Coughlin did when the Jags first started). But they haven't panned out. Yet another failure by Gene Smith.

I also hated the Alualu pick. They drafted a DT that no one had heard of at #10?!?! Sure, at the time people were saying he could end up being a nice pick. But has he? Nope. Certainly not worth the #10 overall pick. Gene Smith fail.

Wasn't Derek Cox benched at some point last year? Inconsistent. Wonder if he would be a starter on most teams?

Mike Thomas...I almost choked when I saw the contract they signed him to. Gene Smith fail.

I really like Rashad Jennings and MJD. Ironically, I hated the MJD pick when they drafted him. I said he was a midget and would never be an NFL RB. But damn he plays with a chip on his shoulder and he's a bowling bowl with legs. I just wish they could get some talent around him.

I'm willing to give Blackmon some time. I think he has talent, but I feel sorry for him because of the "QB" he has to work with. I think he could be pretty good.

I hope Khan boots Gene Smith to the curb at some time this year or after the season. Guy is an arrogant joke. Maybe he and Pioli can start a support group for over rated, egotistical ex-general managers?
I realize that a lot of what you are stating is opinion, but I think you are really off target on Monroe. I consider Eugene one of the top handful of LTs in the league.EDIT to add PFF write up:

On a day where not much went right on either side of the ball, a positive sign for the Jags on offense was the continued strong play of left tackle Eugene Monroe (+1.6). While he can’t make the decisions that Gabbert makes with the ball, he certainly can affect the pressure that he sees. Charged with the unenviable task of stopping Peppers and rookie Shea McClellin, Monroe performed brilliantly, stymieing both and not allowing a single hit or hurry on his quarterback. Often compared to D’Brickashaw Ferguson, because they went to the same school, are roughly the same size, and play the same position, Monroe had a breakout year in 2011, posting the second-highest grade for a left tackle under PFF’s grading system, behind Jason Peters. He’s carried his play over into 2012, with a +8.6 in five games so far, rewarding the Jaguars after the used a top-10 pick on him in the 2009 draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

I realize that a lot of what you are stating is opinion, but I think you are really off target on Monroe. I consider Eugene one of the top handful of LTs in the league.EDIT to add PFF write up:

On a day where not much went right on either side of the ball, a positive sign for the Jags on offense was the continued strong play of left tackle Eugene Monroe (+1.6). While he can’t make the decisions that Gabbert makes with the ball, he certainly can affect the pressure that he sees. Charged with the unenviable task of stopping Peppers and rookie Shea McClellin, Monroe performed brilliantly, stymieing both and not allowing a single hit or hurry on his quarterback. Often compared to D’Brickashaw Ferguson, because they went to the same school, are roughly the same size, and play the same position, Monroe had a breakout year in 2011, posting the second-highest grade for a left tackle under PFF’s grading system, behind Jason Peters. He’s carried his play over into 2012, with a +8.6 in five games so far, rewarding the Jaguars after the used a top-10 pick on him in the 2009 draft.
Ok. That is good to hear about Monroe. Atleast we have 2 building blocks to build around (Monroe and Blackmon). But wasn't Britton recently benched or will soon be due to his poor play? Maybe it was Britton I heard that was always injured?

The Jags just can't catch a break. Clearly that was a game they could have won and MJD goes down the second play and Gabbert follows soon after. They still manage to get the game to overtime but the offense was pathetic once Blaine was on the bench.

My one hope for this season was that Blaine could develop into a decent QB by the end of the year. If he misses much time and MJD misses time there is not much chance of that even happening.

The Jags just can't catch a break. Clearly that was a game they could have won and MJD goes down the second play and Gabbert follows soon after. They still manage to get the game to overtime but the offense was pathetic once Blaine was on the bench.

My one hope for this season was that Blaine could develop into a decent QB by the end of the year. If he misses much time there is not much chance of that even happening.
Which creates a bigger problem- If he misses significant time, how do you evaluate whether or not he's the answer moving forward?

My one hope for this season was that Blaine could develop into a decent QB by the end of the year. If he misses much time there is not much chance of that even happening.
Which creates a bigger problem- If he misses significant time, how do you evaluate whether or not he's the answer moving forward?
Exactly. I think it was pretty clear that Blaine had the rest of the season to prove he is the QB of the future. Also, Gene Smith's future is likely tied to the success of Gabbert. If Gabbert misses a bunch of games, that evaluation becomes seriously flawed and leaves the organization is difficult position. He was 7/8 for 99 yards and a TD when he got hurt late in the first quarter. It does seem like he is improving at times, but this shoulder injury could put his future in Jax in jeopardy.

Gabbert has torn labrum

The preliminary results of the MRI performed on Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert indicate he suffered a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

A determination about his availability for Sunday's game in Green Bay won't be made until after famed specialist Dr. James Andrews offers a second opinion later Tuesday.

The Jaguars already will be without starting running back Maurice Jones-Drew against the Packers after he injured his foot last Sunday against the Raiders. Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey updated Jones-Drew's status Monday, acknowledging that the three-time Pro Bowler could miss an extended period of time.

Gabbert completed 8 of 12 passes for 110 yards and a touchdown before leaving the game in the second quarter in the loss at Oakland. The Jaguars were mostly inept after Gabbert left the game.

Backup Chad Henne completed 9 of 20 passes for 71 yards and was sacked three times.

____________________________________________________________________________________

With Henne in, we can expect to strongly be in the running for the #1 overall pick. Things are that bad.

Gabbert has torn labrum

The preliminary results of the MRI performed on Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert indicate he suffered a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

A determination about his availability for Sunday's game in Green Bay won't be made until after famed specialist Dr. James Andrews offers a second opinion later Tuesday.

The Jaguars already will be without starting running back Maurice Jones-Drew against the Packers after he injured his foot last Sunday against the Raiders. Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey updated Jones-Drew's status Monday, acknowledging that the three-time Pro Bowler could miss an extended period of time.

Gabbert completed 8 of 12 passes for 110 yards and a touchdown before leaving the game in the second quarter in the loss at Oakland. The Jaguars were mostly inept after Gabbert left the game.

Backup Chad Henne completed 9 of 20 passes for 71 yards and was sacked three times.

____________________________________________________________________________________

With Henne in, we can expect to strongly be in the running for the #1 overall pick. Things are that bad.
Clearly.

Have to wonder if today's loss has sealed Mularkey's fate.

Assuming that Gene Smith is out, I thought the Jags needed to win two more to keep Mularkey's job. Today and Week 17 at TENN seemed to be the most winnable games.

They'll be considerable underdogs at Miami and face blowout status vs New England.

The overall lack of talent and run of injuries aren't Mularkey's fault. Still, there was yet another winnable game today that helps cement draft status.

Big announcement with Shad Khan and Mayor Alvin Brown coming at 1 PM?Rumors include new practice facility and stadium management contract with SMG but there's this from the Jags beat writer:

Ryan O'Halloran ‏@ryanohalloranPer SMG/stadium, Lamping told me on Wed, "Not on my top 10 list of concerns." Announcement buzz would confirm that. #jaguars

Today's Times-Union has an article about growing the brand

■ According to NFL figures, the Jaguars’ average ticket-sold total of 64,703 is more than 11 teams in the league. This is the third consecutive year with no local blackouts.

■ A 2013 season-ticket package for nine games (two preseason, seven regular season) hasn’t been finalized. “We’re in the midst of doing a lot of research with our fans to figure out what is the right structure,” Lamping said.

■ The removal of tarps added 600 tickets for the Chicago game, 1,200 for the Jets game and 3,500 for Sunday’s game vs. New England.

■ Despite fans being allowed to bring their own food into the stadium, the Jaguars have seen an increase in food and beverage sales at the stadium.
Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2012-12-21/story/growing-growth-plan-jaguars-president-hard-work#ixzz2Fnuoqhq4

Today's Times-Union has an article about growing the brand

■ According to NFL figures, the Jaguars’ average ticket-sold total of 64,703 is more than 11 teams in the league. This is the third consecutive year with no local blackouts.

■ A 2013 season-ticket package for nine games (two preseason, seven regular season) hasn’t been finalized. “We’re in the midst of doing a lot of research with our fans to figure out what is the right structure,” Lamping said.

The removal of tarps added 600 tickets for the Chicago game, 1,200 for the Jets game and 3,500 for Sunday’s game vs. New England.

■ Despite fans being allowed to bring their own food into the stadium, the Jaguars have seen an increase in food and beverage sales at the stadium.
Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2012-12-21/story/growing-growth-plan-jaguars-president-hard-work#ixzz2Fnuoqhq4
I guess Ryan Mallet has more fans in Jacksonville than Tim Tebow, who knew?

hmmm...

Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyThe Jags are a mess. They put their playbooks on some players iPads and then forgot to wipe them before player went to another team.

Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyBecause the Jags didn't remotely delete the playbooks off of iPads, other teams had access to it when the player went to another team

Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyThe worst part...the playbook was updated with practice film. Teams could see how the Jags were preparing for them.

Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyFWIW, the Jags fixed the iPad playbook problem this offseason when they hired a coach who enjoyed the benefits of the screw up last year.

No idea if it is true, but it might explain the out of the blue firing of Drew Hampton in the off season.

hmmm...Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyThe Jags are a mess. They put their playbooks on some players iPads and then forgot to wipe them before player went to another team.Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyBecause the Jags didn't remotely delete the playbooks off of iPads, other teams had access to it when the player went to another teamPlato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyThe worst part...the playbook was updated with practice film. Teams could see how the Jags were preparing for them.Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyFWIW, the Jags fixed the iPad playbook problem this offseason when they hired a coach who enjoyed the benefits of the screw up last year.No idea if it is true, but it might explain the out of the blue firing of Drew Hampton in the off season.
Looking back at that ATL vs JAX Thursay night game in 2011 with this alleged in formation in mind, it would explain a lot.

hmmm...Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyThe Jags are a mess. They put their playbooks on some players iPads and then forgot to wipe them before player went to another team.Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyBecause the Jags didn't remotely delete the playbooks off of iPads, other teams had access to it when the player went to another teamPlato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyThe worst part...the playbook was updated with practice film. Teams could see how the Jags were preparing for them.Plato Lombardi ‏@NFLosophyFWIW, the Jags fixed the iPad playbook problem this offseason when they hired a coach who enjoyed the benefits of the screw up last year.No idea if it is true, but it might explain the out of the blue firing of Drew Hampton in the off season.
We're just a punchline at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread