What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Jaguars Thread - Team Putting #DTWD to The Test *** (1 Viewer)

Was Gabbert looking any better than previous years. Sounds like it's Henne's job to lose anyways.
Early reports were that all the QB pretty much struggled.

Tweet of the day yesterday from AP writer Mark Long: "Those NASCAR drivers complaining about bad passing at Indy should come see Jags training camp."

Supposedly Luke Joeckel has looked very good while Denard Robinson has had problems holding onto the ball. (Yes his shoelaces have been tied, albeit very loosely).

19,000 at Everbank for the scrimmage last night. This was with a AA Jacksonville Suns game next door and an Arena football playoff game a block away,

Supposedly, edge to Gabbert last night but no real separation from Henne. Ace Sanders looked good with a couple of catches and nice punt return.

Other WR that is impressing in camp is Mike Brown, college QB converted to WR who spent time on Jags practice squad last season/

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2013-08-01/story/wr-mike-brown-pleasant-surprise-so-far-jags-camp

I can't gauge this WR depth chart and some days feel like they have a roster with a dozen former QBs. Even reading of trick plays with others and denard robinsons other articles, this is hard to gauge.

At one point while reading, I was thinking geesh are they running any traditional offensive sets and I swear the next paragraph was about WRs running into each other in camp.

This offense sounds like if they put the right people in they'll all be tiny yet are electric and can take it to the house.

I'm not reading much about Shipley. I've noticed him running with the ones at times, but otherwise not all that much. He finished with 23 catches in six games and they signed him to a two or three year deal like he finally found a home. I have always liked his sure-handedness and thought him in the slot was a nice spot for him. Last year I didn't see much Jaguars, but late in the year I was thinking wow look at him(QB) panic and throw to the new guy. It was working out for Shipley. What's his deal this summer? How's he doing?

I can't gauge this WR depth chart and some days feel like they have a roster with a dozen former QBs. Even reading of trick plays with others and denard robinsons other articles, this is hard to gauge.

At one point while reading, I was thinking geesh are they running any traditional offensive sets and I swear the next paragraph was about WRs running into each other in camp.

This offense sounds like if they put the right people in they'll all be tiny yet are electric and can take it to the house.

I'm not reading much about Shipley. I've noticed him running with the ones at times, but otherwise not all that much. He finished with 23 catches in six games and they signed him to a two or three year deal like he finally found a home. I have always liked his sure-handedness and thought him in the slot was a nice spot for him. Last year I didn't see much Jaguars, but late in the year I was thinking wow look at him(QB) panic and throw to the new guy. It was working out for Shipley. What's his deal this summer? How's he doing?
He hasn't stood out so far in camp. I think he might be facing long odds to make the team. Ace Sanders has looked great and Mike Brown reportedly has really improved over the offseason.

Is it just me, or since the Jaguars website converted a lot of content to video, is it hard to find good coverage of the Jaguars?

I finished the first week of camp write up today for three teams including Jackonsville. Finding good comprehensive info was tough for them. Some blogs and such that would list individual plays, but I found it much tougher to get a feel for how units were doing in general than it was for other teams. I used to think the Jaguars website was one of the best team sites at covering their team, but I despise it when they only put out a video on key stories, and don't give you a text version you can quickly skim, or that will come up in web searches.

Is it just me, or since the Jaguars website converted a lot of content to video, is it hard to find good coverage of the Jaguars?

I finished the first week of camp write up today for three teams including Jackonsville. Finding good comprehensive info was tough for them. Some blogs and such that would list individual plays, but I found it much tougher to get a feel for how units were doing in general than it was for other teams. I used to think the Jaguars website was one of the best team sites at covering their team, but I despise it when they only put out a video on key stories, and don't give you a text version you can quickly skim, or that will come up in web searches.
On the Jags website, I usually just read the O-Zone.

Good day-by-day training camp breakdown -

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/8/1/4579568/jacksonville-jaguars-2013-training-camp-recap/in/3984099

I really get a lot of info by following by following Ryan O'Halloran and John Oehser on twitter,

Starting this week, Jags training camp closed to public and media only allowed in for 30 mins.

Yeah, Big Cat Country was who I had to use a lot of. I found they were really good for a daily update sort of thing, though wish they'd done more to pull their daily observations together and fill in the gaps.

I follow Oehser already but didn't have O'Halloran, so thanks for that, will add him.

He hasn't stood out so far in camp. I think he might be facing long odds to make the team. Ace Sanders has looked great and Mike Brown reportedly has really improved over the offseason.
thanks

Any chance that WR Tobias Palmer makes the team? I read that he was having a nice mini camp but haven’t heard anything about him since training camp opened

Any chance that WR Tobias Palmer makes the team? I read that he was having a nice mini camp but haven’t heard anything about him since training camp opened
With a new coach and GM it is anybodies guess. Palmer has a shot, but at this point it difficult to predict the actions of the new regime.

Jags named Gabbert starter for Week 1.

Also announced he has hairline fracture in hand and will miss rest of preseason.

Also announced he has hairline fracture in hand and will miss rest of preseason.
It seems like every time Gabbert gets anything positive going(which is not often) something happens to cool the enthusiasm. Blaine was money vs the Jets and hurts his hand on what was likely his last play of the night even if he is not hurt. They need to offer Jobu some rum or something over at the stadium to remove all the bad juju. The team seems snake bit over the last handful of seasons.

I've been critical of Gabbert, but he's not catching many breaks. He looked good Saturday. It was his confidence and decisiveness that I liked.

It seems like every time Gabbert gets anything positive going(which is not often) something happens to cool the enthusiasm. Blaine was money vs the Jets and hurts his hand on what was likely his last play of the night even if he is not hurt. They need to offer Jobu some rum or something over at the stadium to remove all the bad juju. The team seems snake bit over the last handful of seasons.
They have no one to blame but themselves for the last handful of seasons.

Gregg Easterbrook needs to get over this. From ESPN's TMQ

Jacksonville: The Jaguars were 0-3 in overtime in 2013, but even if they'd had better luck in the fifth quarter, they still would have been a lower-echelon team. The Jaguars finished last in sacks despite, in recent drafts, using two first-round, two second-round and two third-round choices on defensive linemen. Then again Jax was behind so often -- losses by 41-3, 24-3, 27-7 -- some opponents stopped passing, reducing the chance for sacks. In 2012, opponents rushed against Jacksonville more than they threw.

The strident insistence of the Jacksonville front office that this perennially dull losing team will have nothing to do with Tim Tebow, Florida's most popular football player, has gone from odd to downright weird. If Tebow becomes a success at New England -- as a "slash" or perhaps as an H-back or F-style tight end -- Jacksonville's refusal to sign him will look even worse. Plus the Jaguars spent a draft choice on Denard Robinson: If he ends up playing the "slash" role that might have gone to Tebow, Jacksonville management will have blundered anew. Tebow does have a traveling-circus problem. A strong, secure coach like Bill Belichick can handle that; a weak, insecure coach like Gus Bradley doesn't want to. Same with ownership -- Robert Kraft is strong and secure, while Shahid Khan does not inspire confidence.

The Jags have an enormous video board at EverBank Field, and are talking about showing Red Zone Channel during games. Since what's on Red Zone Channel is likely to be more interesting than a Jags game, this would serve to remind fans they might as well have stayed home and watched Red Zone Channel in comfort. The NFL brain trust grows concerned that wide-screen high-def television allows fans to experience a football game just as well, perhaps better, at home than at a stadium, while not buying tickets, $14 light beers or $30 parking spaces. Putting Red Zone Channel on the Jacksonville video board has tremendous backfire potential.

Jacksonville: The Jaguars were 0-3 in overtime in 2013, but even if they'd had better luck in the fifth quarter, they still would have been a lower-echelon team. The Jaguars finished last in sacks despite, in recent drafts, using two first-round, two second-round and two third-round choices on defensive linemen. Then again Jax was behind so often -- losses by 41-3, 24-3, 27-7 -- some opponents stopped passing, reducing the chance for sacks. In 2012, opponents rushed against Jacksonville more than they threw.

The strident insistence of the Jacksonville front office that this perennially dull losing team will have nothing to do with Tim Tebow, Florida's most popular football player, has gone from odd to downright weird. If Tebow becomes a success at New England -- as a "slash" or perhaps as an H-back or F-style tight end -- Jacksonville's refusal to sign him will look even worse. Plus the Jaguars spent a draft choice on Denard Robinson: If he ends up playing the "slash" role that might have gone to Tebow, Jacksonville management will have blundered anew. Tebow does have a traveling-circus problem. A strong, secure coach like Bill Belichick can handle that; a weak, insecure coach like Gus Bradley doesn't want to. Same with ownership -- Robert Kraft is strong and secure, while Shahid Khan does not inspire confidence.

The Jags have an enormous video board at EverBank Field, and are talking about showing Red Zone Channel during games. Since what's on Red Zone Channel is likely to be more interesting than a Jags game, this would serve to remind fans they might as well have stayed home and watched Red Zone Channel in comfort. The NFL brain trust grows concerned that wide-screen high-def television allows fans to experience a football game just as well, perhaps better, at home than at a stadium, while not buying tickets, $14 light beers or $30 parking spaces. Putting Red Zone Channel on the Jacksonville video board has tremendous backfire potential.
Clearly this guy is a pro. :thumbup:

Matt Scott cut and Ricky Stanzi is #3. Meanwhile a mind-blowing stat:

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC 1m

Shack Harris players still on roster: 6 -- Gene Smith draft picks left on roster: 10
All of this is written firmly in pencil as the Jags have proven to be quite active on the waiver wire. Andre Branch, last year's second round pick at DE has made the cut but I could see the Jags swooping in for a LEO candidate (Hello, Seattle!)and sending Branch packing.

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC 1m

Gene Smith made 26 draft picks as a general manager. 10 of those players left. 1 from 2009, 1 from 2010, 8 from 2011/12.
One of those 8 is a punter,

Another one of those 8 is Branch who is treading on very thin ice.
Wow. Gene Smith was so bad. I had such good hope for him given how much he was talked up. I'll never get over him picking a ####### punter in the third round. Watching Russell Wilson makes me die a little bit inside each time I watch him play.

Alfie Crow ‏@AlfieBCC 1m

Gene Smith made 26 draft picks as a general manager. 10 of those players left. 1 from 2009, 1 from 2010, 8 from 2011/12.
One of those 8 is a punter,

Another one of those 8 is Branch who is treading on very thin ice.
Wow. Gene Smith was so bad. I had such good hope for him given how much he was talked up. I'll never get over him picking a ####### punter in the third round. Watching Russell Wilson makes me die a little bit inside each time I watch him play.
And it's not just the horrible picks; it's how much he gave up for some of his picks.

I don't have much faith in the others he selected who are still on the roster.

Jags will probably be busy on the waiver wire for

- WR since they only have 4 WR plus the suspended Blackmon.

- Center/guard since Gerberry and Brewster struggled mightily in preseason

- TE depth to replace Brett Brackett

- safety, not sure how secure Prosinski's spot is

- any Seahawk defender because of Gus' past

Tom Pelissero‏@TomPelissero1m

#Seahawkshttps://twitter.com/search?q=#Seahawks&src=hash traded for D'Anthony Smith from #Jaguars.
Interesting. I thought I read he was cut.
What I can gather from twitter is that they announced the cuts to the players and press but hadn't turned in the official forms.

Seattle contacted them and agreed to trade a conditional pick for him since they didn't know if he would make it to them in the waiver order.

Who's going to be the "Main" starting QB this season?

Would Henne be the guy by at least mid season an ride it out?

The Jags claimed D.J. Williams, Chris McCoy, Winston Guy,Clay Harbor, Stephen Burton, Jacques McClendon, and J.T. Thomas.

I was hoping they'd claim DJ Williams or Clay Harbor. I thought Williams was going to be a good one coming out of Arkansas.

Is there are validity to this or is this just nonsense. The Kahn comment also struck me as patriots worship and obvious baiting.

Is there are validity to this or is this just nonsense. The Kahn comment also struck me as patriots worship and obvious baiting.
This was just a case of pick on the easy target.

This was just a case of pick on the easy target.
Yeah, just regurgitating the same old cr@p.

Jags say they'll show other games to enhance fan experience and get ridiculed. Niners announce that in new stadium they'll expand wifi and show other games to enhance fan experience and they're heralded as forward thinking.

I am not understanding the lack of love for Cecil Shorts in some fantasy circles. In his 8 healthy games as a starter last year he was 41 for 722 and 5 TDs. Those are top 5ish numbers projected out to 16 games depending on the scoring system. Yet I see him list as a WR3 with upside by some.

I am not understanding the lack of love for Cecil Shorts in some fantasy circles. In his 8 healthy games as a starter last year he was 41 for 722 and 5 TDs. Those are top 5ish numbers projected out to 16 games depending on the scoring system. Yet I see him list as a WR3 with upside by some.
I don't have any real answers, but I think hes a by-product of how people view the Jags, in general. They see a team that has not been good offensively, save MJD, for quite some time and think "sub-par team, sub-par fantasy receiver".

Plus, they might see that Gabbert is starting instead of Henne and think that this will hurt his value- Even though he was good last year with either QB on the field.

It might also be that he quietly just does his job and makes no waves, leaving him as an afterthought to many.

Users who are viewing this thread