What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Zach Ertz, WAS (1 Viewer)

I just have to ask...WHY?

Why is such an obvious talent not being leaned on? The Eagles seems to have no reservations against bashing teams to death with Maclin and they don't even seem adverse to targeting the snot out of Riley Cooper. What is it about this offense that keeps Ertz from being a clear ascending TE?

I would think the Eagles would LOVE the idea of dragging all the opposing Lbers away from the box.

I just have to ask...WHY?

Why is such an obvious talent not being leaned on? The Eagles seems to have no reservations against bashing teams to death with Maclin and they don't even seem adverse to targeting the snot out of Riley Cooper. What is it about this offense that keeps Ertz from being a clear ascending TE?

I would think the Eagles would LOVE the idea of dragging all the opposing Lbers away from the box.
hes not a great blocker. that's the only thing I can think of that is holding him back

He's not on the field a lot. Matthews and Celek seemed to be out there more of the time and now Huff is getting more run now as well. I'm gonna try him one more week bc our waiver wire is lacking, but I'm hoping Rudolph gets back after the bye so I can bench him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Eagles offense is a run first offense and Ertz is not the best run blocking tight end on the roster. His usage is going to depend on game situation more than most tight ends. He still has some nice match ups down the stretch though.

I was so far off here. Maclin was the call. I'll probably drop him this week. Haven't started him for weeks.

Rotoworld:

Chip Kelly reiterated that he runs a "one-tight-end offense."

"Brent Celek's doing a helluva job. It'd be very [unjust] if I told Brent he has to sit because I want to put someone else on the field. Brent's an outstanding blocker, I think he may be the best blocking tight end in the league," Kelly said. That quote sums up the situation for Zach Ertz, who is only a package player despite unique pass-catching ability. Owners should not be expecting a sudden surge from Ertz's current average of 4.8 targets per game.

Related: Brent Celek

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Nov 20 - 10:11 AM

Saw a lot of action last week for what its worth. Going one more time with him. Maybe cash in on that 7-125-1 day that will come out of no where.

Not just the Celek factor, but the emergence of Matthews as a #2 receiver has limited Ertz's chances. If Maclin doesn't leave as a free agent, Ertz may never be the guy we expected due to limited opportunities.

Not just the Celek factor, but the emergence of Matthews as a #2 receiver has limited Ertz's chances. If Maclin doesn't leave as a free agent, Ertz may never be the guy we expected due to limited opportunities.
Has it? I'm surprised there aren't any/many 2 TE formation's in Chip's playbook - seems like that would be an ideal formation with Ertz to run/pass from.

Kelly values blocking even more highly than your average coach. It's one of the reasons DeSean was jettisoned; he wasn't good at it and didn't want to do it. Ertz' usage isn't going to change until his blocking improves.

15 catches/115 yards and no bump? Probably could/should have had a TD as well. It would be nice of this were the start of a new type of gameplan as opposed to a one-week blip.

Redskins defense is among the worst at covering TE's, and that's with our starting ILB's healthy. They weren't healthy today. He was bound to have a huge game today, but he looked really good.

This guy creates mismatches, but Kelly doesn't want to play him because he doesn't block well. That was known when he was drafted, why waste the pick if you're not going to play to his strengths?

Solid game today though, hopefully Chip realizes the talent this kid has and gameplans accordingly.

This guy creates mismatches, but Kelly doesn't want to play him because he doesn't block well. That was known when he was drafted, why waste the pick if you're not going to play to his strengths?

Solid game today though, hopefully Chip realizes the talent this kid has and gameplans accordingly.
Finally the breakout game owners have been waiting for, but too little too late for most.Hopefully for dynasty purposes, this will help increase his usage going forward - but I am skeptical with Kelly. Plus, Celek isn't going anywhere next year.

If Maclin is indeed gone, this may be a nice bump in value for Ertz (provided he can improve his blocking and stay on the field).

Really leaves only Matthews as a bona fide receiving threat, and he can't do it himself. Obviously we have to see what happens in free agency and the draft to replace Maclin, but there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of impact players available out there.

Rotoworld:

Coach Chip Kelly called TE Zach Ertz a "multi-position player."
Ertz was one of our favorite breakout candidates last summer, but ended up being about a 50-percent-of-the-snaps player for much of the season. However, his snaps spiked Weeks 16-17, when Ertz was in on 122-of-169 plays. The Eagles need to feature him more in the pass game, and may have to do so in 2015 to make up for the loss of Jeremy Maclin. Ertz is heading into his third season.

Mar 15 - 9:40 AM

Rotoworld:

Eagles coach Chip Kelly suggested Zach Ertz and Darren Sproles could see more looks in the absence of Jeremy Maclin.

Considering the Eagles didn't do a thing to upgrade their receiving corps, Kelly will have to use his tight ends and running backs a bit more liberally. Ertz has breakout potential written all over him, though his upside is somewhat offset by the presence of veteran Brent Celek. Sproles' role as a hybrid receiver/scat back shouldn't change much even with DeMarco Murray and Ryan Mathews occupying the same backfield. Maclin, who fled for Kansas City earlier this offseason, accounted for 22.1 percent of Philadelphia's catches and 28.8 percent of the team's receiving yards in 2014. He leaves behind a ton of opportunity.

Related: Darren Sproles

Mar 23 - 10:07 AM

Rotoworld:

Eagles coach Chip Kelly believes Zach Ertz is capable of making a "big jump" in 2015.

"I still think there's a big jump that can happen between year two and three," were Kelly's exact words. Ertz was one of the league's more hyped players last season, but was "limited" to a 58/702/3 receiving line as he played just 50.3 percent of the Eagles' offensive snaps. "Limited" because Ertz's line was still extremely solid for a second-year pro. Kelly has already suggested Ertz could be in for more targets this season. His arrow continues to point up in an offense low on pass-catching talent at receiver.

Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter
Mar 25 - 5:04 PM

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz - TE - Eagles

Zach Ertz spent two weeks this offseason working with former Cowboys OL coach Hudson Houck on his blocking.

Houck is one of the greatest offensive line coaches in NFL history. Ertz has also spent time on strength training and mixed martial arts. After he only played 50.3 percent of the Eagles' offensive snaps last season, the Philly Inquirer believes there's "ample" reason to believe Ertz will truly break out as a third-year tight end. Between Jeremy Maclin and LeSean McCoy, the Eagles have 180 targets to replace.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

Apr 19 - 8:42 PM

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer mentions third-year TE Zach Ertz as a candidate to "end up leading the Eagles in receiving" this season.

Beat writer Jeff McLane acknowledges this is contingent upon Ertz earning more playing time after he played only 50 percent of Philly's 2014 offensive snaps. The Eagles' wideout corps is largely unproven, and Ertz's pass-catching chops were never in doubt. At very least, Ertz needs to become a bigger part of the Eagles' red-zone offense after scoring only three TDs in 2014.

May 24 - 1:47 PM

Rotoworld:

24.7 percent of throws to Zach Ertz last season were uncatchable, according to Football Outsiders.

That was the seventh-highest uncatchable rate among tight ends. Ertz still finished with 58-702-3 as fantasy's No. 14 tight end, but it could have been so much more as he consistently ran free. The arrival of accurate Sam Bradford along with Ertz's expected snap-count leap gives him serious 2015 upside.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7
Jun 2 - 9:48 AM

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer mentions third-year TE Zach Ertz as a candidate to "end up leading the Eagles in receiving" this season.

Beat writer Jeff McLane acknowledges this is contingent upon Ertz earning more playing time after he played only 50 percent of Philly's 2014 offensive snaps. The Eagles' wideout corps is largely unproven, and Ertz's pass-catching chops were never in doubt. At very least, Ertz needs to become a bigger part of the Eagles' red-zone offense after scoring only three TDs in 2014.

Who is not a candidate to end up leading the Eagles in receiving this season? Maybe Jon Dorenbos. Other than that, I wouldn't rule anybody out.

Long Ball Larry said:
Rotoworld:

Who is not a candidate to end up leading the Eagles in receiving this season? Maybe Jon Dorenbos. Other than that, I wouldn't rule anybody out.
I'm ruling out Riley Cooper as well.

Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz said he sat down with Tony Gonzalez during the offseason to help him become a better tight end.

"I kind of just cold texted him one day, asking if he would be willing to meet with me, sit down and have lunch with me and luckily for me he was willing to do that," Ertz said. "We talked about little things — the nuances of how to run a certain route, what’s advantageous against certain coverages, that sort of thing." Learning from the greatest tight end of all time can do nothing but help Ertz. Reports out of offseason workouts have Ertz and Sam Bradford developing early chemistry. In St. Louis, Bradford loved attacking the middle of the field with his slot receivers and tight ends.

Source: ZachErtz86.com
Jun 17 - 9:31 AM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Zach Ertz said he sat down with Tony Gonzalez during the offseason to help him become a better tight end.

"I kind of just cold texted him one day, asking if he would be willing to meet with me, sit down and have lunch with me and luckily for me he was willing to do that," Ertz said. "We talked about little things — the nuances of how to run a certain route, what’s advantageous against certain coverages, that sort of thing." Learning from the greatest tight end of all time can do nothing but help Ertz. Reports out of offseason workouts have Ertz and Sam Bradford developing early chemistry. In St. Louis, Bradford loved attacking the middle of the field with his slot receivers and tight ends.

Source: ZachErtz86.com
Jun 17 - 9:31 AM
Not sure if that really will make a difference, but I do like the initiative on his part.

Rotoworld:

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski feels "fairly certain" that Zach Ertz will put up "big-time numbers" this season.

That's as long as coach Chip Kelly gives Ertz a sizable bump in playing time. Kempski named Ertz the player who impressed him most at Eagles OTAs and minicamp. The hype is starting to build for the second year in a row, though it feels real this time around. Ertz is arguably the team's best pure pass catcher, and he and Sam Bradford were said to be developing a real chemistry this spring.

Source: Philly Voice
Jun 19 - 8:35 AM

I love this time of year. Everyone has tremendous upside or massive breakout potential.

The fact remains if Chip like's Celek's blocking more Ertz' snaps will still be limited.

I love this time of year. Everyone has tremendous upside or massive breakout potential.

The fact remains if Chip like's Celek's blocking more Ertz' snaps will still be limited.
Well, that's why Ertz has huge upside. IF he can get on the field more, he could be a monster. His receiving ability is not in question. It's just opportunity.

Well, that's why Ertz has huge upside. IF he can get on the field more, he could be a monster. His receiving ability is not in question. It's just opportunity.
This seems like the best backfield Chip has ever had and he'll finally be able to run as often as he's wanted. I think the opportunity for Ertz is actually less than last year.

This seems like the best backfield Chip has ever had and he'll finally be able to run as often as he's wanted. I think the opportunity for Ertz is actually less than last year.
I would agree if it weren't for the idea that Maclin's production needs replaced and everyone has already annoitned Agholor as ROTY (so apparently there aren't many people at all thinking Chip is going to shock and awe the NFl by running ad naseum).

It's tough, do you take Ertz later or settle for Olsen/Benett? Imo I would take the risk so I could get another impact RB/WR.
I would agree with your thought because it is far more likely you will roll hot dice with Ertz and the impact RB/WR than it is that you will find a gem in the RB/WR poisiton if you flip your logic.

Yeah, every year seems to have it's Justin Forsett or whoever, but there are A LOT MORE players people pick up on flyers every year that end up just taking up space on rosters without helping. You take the impact RB/WR and Ertz and you know you aren't cutting anyone (those guys will be useful to you). Do it the other way and you have a chance of cutting that player to be named later when bye weeks roll up.

Well, the difference should be his improved blocking skills.

I sure hope so, anyway.

Streaming TEs this year. I loved Zach last year. But Kelly has an idea of what he wants for each position and if you don't fit that, you don't play. So it all depends on how much he's improved as a blocker otherwise he'll have trouble getting snaps again.

There is more risk with Ertz and a few other wait TE compared to a Olsen or Bennett. It is tough because the WR or RB you want could drop to you depending on where you pick in that round. I find if you don't wait on TE or QB there is a decent chance you won't get the WR 3 or flex you want.

Users who are viewing this thread