What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (4 Viewers)

he's cheap because nothing separates him from anyone around him...and he comes with way more risk in that he hasn't shown anything to date
Except when he went 5-0 the year they traded for him with rags around him at WR you mean? 

Or are you referring to game 3 dress rehearsal when he carved up the Chiefs on a flawless drive showing both touch & power in his passes, making quality throws, dumping off to a RB against the blitz & hitting Breida for the long TD on the wheel route? He has better weapons this year, and looks to be 100% healthy. And I think he’s got a chip on his shoulder from 2 months of everyone trashing him. 

I think paying attention to games that matter is better than following the “sky is falling” narrative with a player coming back from injury. 

add to that the 49ers defense still looks to be a work in progress, and that’s a recipe for shootouts. 

IMO JimmyG is a genuine sleeper this year.

Bold call: He’ll outperform at least 10 QBs taken ahead of him for fantasy purposes.

I too am still a believer.
I wasn’t until the week 3 dress rehearsal. 

I wasn’t wearing homer glasses, either. I was looking for fault, as I’d been pessimistic based on the entire preseason body of work. 

I came away really, really impressed with what I saw. 

Niners have more receiving weapons than people think, and JimmyG looked fantastic.!

Except when he went 5-0 the year they traded for him with rags around him at WR you mean? 

Or are you referring to game 3 dress rehearsal when he carved up the Chiefs on a flawless drive showing both touch & power in his passes, making quality throws, dumping off to a RB against the blitz & hitting Breida for the long TD on the wheel route? He has better weapons this year, and looks to be 100% healthy. And I think he’s got a chip on his shoulder from 2 months of everyone trashing him. 

I think paying attention to games that matter is better than following the “sky is falling” narrative with a player coming back from injury. 

add to that the 49ers defense still looks to be a work in progress, and that’s a recipe for shootouts. 

IMO JimmyG is a genuine sleeper this year.

Bold call: He’ll outperform at least 10 QBs taken ahead of him for fantasy purposes.
did you just reference a preseason football game as proof someone is going to be great?  I'm not even sure how to respond to that

You can believe what you want to believe but the guy has shown nothing so far.  He's the next Elvis Grbac in my books

did you just reference a preseason football game as proof someone is going to be great?  I'm not even sure how to respond to that

You can believe what you want to believe but the guy has shown nothing so far.  He's the next Elvis Grbac in my books
Game 3 is the dress rehearsal. 

Playbooks are expanded, starters played for a half.

your incredulity is unwarranted there - preseason may be largely meaningless, but it is universally acknowledged that week 3 is quality indicator of what to expect from an NFL team. 

Not always, as nothing is infallible, but it’s the most insight one can get to an upcoming season from a given team. 

If you choose to ignore or disregard that, it will only be to your detriment as a fantasy manager & football fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Game 3 is the dress rehearsal. 

Playbooks are expanded, starters played for a half.

your incredulity is unwarranted there - preseason may be largely meaningless, but it is universally acknowledged that week 3 is quality indicator of what to expect from an NFL team. 

Not always, as nothing is infallible, but it’s the most insight one can get to an upcoming season from a given team. 

If you choose to ignore or disregard that, it will only be to your detriment as a fantasy manager & football fan.

The condescension is unnecessary though. 👍🏼
Sorry if i came across on condescending.  That was not my intent but one drive in a meaningless preseason game does prove anything in my eyes.  

At this point I think he is a huge question mark for sure.  And as I said, your opinion is just as valid as mind, but I've seen enough to think he doesn't have what it takes to put him over the hump and has enough concern that I think he's your average qb until he's a backup somewhere in 3 years.  

Edit to add that I do think one positive is that the wr's and tes around him are quite good so hopefully that helps

Sorry if i came across on condescending.  That was not my intent but one drive in a meaningless preseason game does prove anything in my eyes.  
All good - words on a screen & all that. No worries. 👍🏼

At this point I think he is a huge question mark for sure.  And as I said, your opinion is just as valid as mind, but I've seen enough to think he doesn't have what it takes to put him over the hump and has enough concern that I think he's your average qb until he's a backup somewhere in 3 years.  

Edit to add that I do think one positive is that the wr's and tes around him are quite good so hopefully that helps
Oh he definitely has question marks. 

But the upside was clearly on display. So to that effect, I think he did show us something. He showed what he was capable of:

• touch passes

• screens

• effective playaction

• threw on a rope with power behind the pass (a sign his knee isn’t an issue since he was stepping into his throws effectively) 

• checking down to his 2nd, 3rd receiver & still getting it out quickly dumping it off against the blitz (sometimes QBs are sheepish/jittery, or afraid to stand in the pocket against a pass rush after knee surgery) 

• ability to find/use his weapons.

he hit 5 different receivers on that drive, with 5 different types of passes.

Nothing is for sure, and there are questions, no doubt. But you can’t say he’s shown “nothing” - that’s a whole lot of something on that list. 

Passed the eye test for me. I took him as a backup QB. I also took Stafford just in case since we have big rosters, but I consider JimmyG my QB2. 

And as I said, your opinion is just as valid as mind, but I've seen enough to think he doesn't have what it takes to put him over the hump and has enough concern that I think he's your average qb until he's a backup somewhere in 3 years.  
Then why did a football genius like Bill Belichick so desperately want to keep him?  Why did a offensive guru like Kyle Shanahan want to acquire him?  They both must see something.

Then why did a football genius like Bill Belichick so desperately want to keep him?  Why did a offensive guru like Kyle Shanahan want to acquire him?  They both must see something.
Nobody knows what Belichick thinks...

And it's not like Coaches misfire on players probably 80% of the time.  

The only facts that are on the table is that he was extremely middle to end of the road last year in terms of being an nfl qb.  Even his stats during the end of the previous year were pretty meh.  Throw in now that he may or may not being have confidence problems and has looked worse in practice and preseason than he's looked good.  You can ignore that all you want based one what you think Belichick though but until I see something different, he's an average guy to me.  

I thought he was staring down his receivers quite a bit in that Chiefs game, it didnt seem like he was going through his reads at all on the majority of his dropbacks.

That said, I think he will be fine, he will have ups and downs as he learns the intricacies of playing the position that only come with playing time, but I think overall he will progress and take a step forward by the end of the season. For a 2nd round QB that has only a handful of starts in the NFL and is still learning Shanahans offense, thats about all I can realistically hope for. Hes not gonna step in and be an MVP candidate or set the league on fire like Mahomes did, Id be happy if he finishes as a top 10-12 QB this season, and that seems pretty attainable if he stays healthy.

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 18-of-27 passes for 166 yards, one touchdown, and one pick in San Francisco's Week 1 win over the Bucs.

San Francisco's defense led the way with 14 points of their own as Garoppolo struggled early and often, tossing his first and only touchdown pass on the day to slot wideout Richie James to open the second half. Jimmy G missed several open receivers downfield and gifted his own pick-six to the Bucs, but also dealt with bad luck in having two would-be touchdowns to George Kittle (8/54) called back for offensive holding penalties. Despite looming question marks regarding Garoppolo's efficiency moving forward, he'll remain a top-20 option against Cincinnati's swiss-cheese secondary in Week 2.

Sep 8, 2019, 8:46 PM ET

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 17-of-25 passes for 297 yards with three touchdowns and an interception in the 49ers' Week 2 win over the Bengals.

It's a nice rebound for Garoppolo after a shaky opener. Garoppolo started fast with a pair of 30-plus yard touchdowns to Marquise Goodwin and Raheem Mostert He added a goal-line throw to Deebo Samuel for his final score in the third quarter. Garoppolo still forced some passes -- throwing his interception into heavy coverage -- but this was a step forward. Even in a plus matchup against the Steelers secondary, Garoppolo is a middling QB2 for Week 3.

How did he look this week?  Had TV problems this weekend and couldn't watch the game...

It looks like he put up a really good game from the stats. 
Offense looked good.  I also think the Bucs defense is going to be a lot better than people initially thought.  

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 23-of-32 passes for 277 yards, one touchdown, and two interceptions in the 49ers' Week 3 win over the Steelers.

The offense was able to move the ball in general (8.9 YPA and 4.2 YPC), but they turned over the ball five times, including a few times while they were approaching a score. Garoppolo has made a few improvements since his Week 1 dud -- sometimes it takes a few games to get comfortable post-ACL surgery -- but there are hurdles that need to be jumped. Jimmy G gets a bye week to reset next weekend, and when the 49ers return, Garoppolo will be a QB2 against the Browns at home.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:39 PM ET

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 20-of-29 passes for 181 yards and two touchdowns in the 49ers' 31-3, Week 5 win over the Browns.

It was about as easy a night as Garoppolo could have asked for after the 49ers just blew the Browns out of building by running the ball and playing defense. Garoppolo's first score was a short one to Matt Breida, and the second went to George Kittle to bust his mini slump. Kittle led the Niners with 6-70-1 on a team-high eight targets. Garoppolo and the 4-0 Niners travel to face the Rams next Sunday in what should be a fun NFC West showdown.

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 12-of-21 passes for 151 yards with an interception in the 49ers' Week 7 win over the Redskins.

Garoppolo didn't need to do much with the Redskins offense getting shut out. He struggled in this one, underthrowing Dante Pettis badly on his interception and making a number of bad decisions. It's the second week in a row Garoppolo has been held without a touchdown, but he's now led the 49ers to six straight wins to open the year. Garoppolo will be a back-end QB2 for Week 8 against the Panthers.
Rainy, miserable weather but yeah; not a good game for Jimmy G.

Tom Brady's first 16 starts:

65% completion%, 3,360 yds, 23 TDs, 13 INTs, 13-3 record

Jimmy Garoppolo's first 16 starts:

66% completion%, 4,070 yds, 22 TDs, 14 INTs, 14-2 record

Tom Brady's first 16 starts:

65% completion%, 3,360 yds, 23 TDs, 13 INTs, 13-3 record

Jimmy Garoppolo's first 16 starts:

66% completion%, 4,070 yds, 22 TDs, 14 INTs, 14-2 record
At one point, Trent Dilfer had a stretch where he went 16-1 between his time in TB and BAL and won a Super Bowl, with those teams compiling a +242 point scoring differential in that time. Clearly numbers don't always tell the entire story.

Jimmy Garoppolo completed 28-of-37 passes for 317 yards and four touchdowns in the 49ers' 28-25, Week 9 win over the Cardinals.

After seven games of accusations that he was being carried by the 49ers' elite defense, Garoppolo finally went "Gucci Garopp" in the desert, relentlessly working his connections with George Kittle and Emmanuel Sanders as he showed off his quick release and excellent ball placement. Several coverage failures from the Cardinals, including supposedly elite CB Patrick Peterson, helped. The four-score game was the first of Garoppolo's career after he entered the evening with only two three-score efforts. That's despite the fact that Deebo Samuel dropped a perfectly-placed ball in the end zone. Already heating up before tonight, Garoppolo has another attackable Week 10 matchup in the Seahawks.

Oct 31, 2019, 11:33 PM ET

Jimmy Garoppolo completed just 24-of-46 passes for 248 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the 49ers' 27-24, Week 10 overtime loss to the Seahawks Monday night.

Garoppolo's 46 attempts were easily a new season-high by nine throws, and his 52.2% completion rate marked a season low. Garoppolo absorbed five sacks and numerous hits despite getting LT Joe Staley and RT Mike McGlinchey back from month-plus injuries. Jadeveon Clowney wrecked this game for the Seahawks defense, and Garoppolo could have easily thrown five picks Monday night. He looked scared in the pocket at times and collapsed as things crumbled around him. The Niners took their first loss of the season and fall to 8-1 and hold just a half-game lead in the division ahead of a Week 11 date with the Cardinals.

Mixed bag for Jimmy G. Threw some ducks up there tonight and should have been picked off a few times, missing throws. Also had receivers dropping stuff and missing his top guys.

Users who are viewing this thread