What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (2 Viewers)

JIMMY GAROPPOLO QB, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

49ers acquired the No. 3 overall pick in the 2021 draft from the Dolphins in exchange for the No. 12 pick, a 2021 third-round pick, and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023.

The deal ensures San Francisco surrounds a quarterback for the entirety of his rookie contract with LT Trent Williams, George Kittle, and receivers Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel, not to mention the luxury of working with Kyle Shanahan in that time. Whether it's Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, or Trey Lance that GM John Lynch distinctly made this blockbuster move for remains to be seen. It also entails the end of Jimmy Garoppolo in the Bay Area as he's due $26.4 million in 2021 and a total of $53.4 million over the next two seasons. The Dolphins in turn now hold the No. 12, 18, 36, and 50 overall picks in this year's draft.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 26, 2021, 1:09 PM ET

Patriots can't get cute here, they have done too much this offseason to not get him if he is available...the x-factor is if the Niners like Lance then they will need a veteran QB for 2021.

Patriots can't get cute here, they have done too much this offseason to not get him if he is available...the x-factor is if the Niners like Lance then they will need a veteran QB for 2021.
#1 he's not going to be available and #2 Garoppolo is not really an upgrade, especially not for $25M a season. If Jimmy gets released and signs a low dollar deal then maybe he would be worth a shot, but the numbers show Garoppolo is a below average QB. Bottom line, whether it's Cam or Jimmy taking the snaps this year, NE won't be going far with either one of them.

If the cost is prohibitive to move up and the QB's are all gone by 15, NE can still get a high impact player to further help the team. Yes, they will probably be a fringe playoff contender and probably would end up 9-8 or 10-7, but IMO there will be very little difference if Cam or Jimmy is their QB.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the 49ers are still claiming Jimmy Garoppolo is "our guy this year."

For what it's worth, former NFL front office exec Michael Lombardi and NBC Sports' Jennifer Lee Chan are also reporting the 49ers have told teams Garoppolo isn't available via trade. It's possible the organization jumped up to the No. 3 overall pick to draft the 29-year-old's successor for a redshirt year before throwing him under center, but that's still an odd approach since Garoppolo is due $26.4 million in 2021. Whatever the case, it's clear the 49ers have a precise two-year blueprint for that position that has yet to be shared.

Mar 26, 2021, 1:50 PM ET

#1 he's not going to be available and #2 Garoppolo is not really an upgrade, especially not for $25M a season. If Jimmy gets released and signs a low dollar deal then maybe he would be worth a shot, but the numbers show Garoppolo is a below average QB. Bottom line, whether it's Cam or Jimmy taking the snaps this year, NE won't be going far with either one of them.

If the cost is prohibitive to move up and the QB's are all gone by 15, NE can still get a high impact player to further help the team. Yes, they will probably be a fringe playoff contender and probably would end up 9-8 or 10-7, but IMO there will be very little difference if Cam or Jimmy is their QB.
I really disagree strongly...Jimmy G is by no means an All Pro but he is far superior to Cam and IMO it is not even close...Cam is washed up and there is not an analytic around that will tell me what I saw last year did not happen.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Jimmy Garoppolo "is the 49ers starter for 2021."

After trading multiple first-round picks to move up from 12th to 3rd overall, this is hard to imagine, but ESPN's Adam Schefter at least reported similar things on Friday morning. RapSheet mentioned that the plan is to trade Garoppolo the following offseason when he has one-year, $25.6 million remaining on his contract. This plan would make some sense if South Dakota State's Trey Lance was the quarterback they traded up for. Lance could take over the keys down the stretch run of 2021 or heading into the 2022 season. It's unclear if Lance, Justin Fields, or Mac Jones will be the pick in April.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 26, 2021, 7:22 PM ET

ProFootballTalk

@ProFootballTalk

·

5h

So the 49ers invest 3 first-round picks and a third-round pick in their next quarterback but they still intend to pay Jimmy G $25 million this year and let him be the starter? And people actually believe this?

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Patriots "were planning to monitor Garoppolo’s availability" whether or not the 49ers moved up in the draft. 

The Niners, after parting ways with multiple first-round picks to move up to third overall in the spring's NFL Draft, insist Jimmy G is still their starter. Howe said NFL teams believe the 49ers are bluffing about their plans for Garoppolo, and that the Pats -- who drafted Garoppolo in the second round of the 2014 draft -- were going to check in on his availability no matter what the Niners did to better their draft position. Jimmy G could be a fallback option for New England if the team is unwilling to trade first rounders to the Falcons, who have the fourth pick in the draft. Howe said Atlanta's "starting price should be three first-round picks."

RELATED: 

Cam Newton

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Mar 27, 2021, 10:39 AM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN's Jordan Schultz reports the Patriots are not planning on pursuing a trade for 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo.

New England has been speculated as a potential landing spot for Garoppolo throughout the offseason and the 49ers trading up to the No. 3 pick does point to them moving on from him. Garoppolo started his career in New England and went 2-0 as a starter before being traded to San Francisco. Unless the Pats have checked in on Garoppolo in the past 24 hours, this report does contradict a previous report that pointed to New England still being interested. Schultz points out that the Patriots don't have an abundance of cap space to take on the final two years of Garoppolo's contract. Cam Newton's first season with the Patriots was lackluster, to say the least, but he showed enough as a runner for Bill Belichick to bring him back for the 2021 season. With the role of veteran passer already filled, it's more likely that New England chooses to add a passer via the draft instead of trading for one. If the draft approaches and San Francisco still hasn't found a team willing to pay up for Garoppolo, the Patriots could re-enter the conversation with a low bid.

RELATED: 

Cam Newton

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Mar 28, 2021, 2:22 PM ET

All the talk on Boston talk radio is Jimmy is coming back. All the former Patriots players in the media are saying Jimmy is coming back. So if NE isn’t interested, then all these guys will be way off. Maybe their interest is only if he gets released. But as of now they couldn’t trade for him as they are miles away from having enough cap room to trade for him.

The media here doesn’t quite get how the salary cap works, as they have suggested they will trade for Garoppolo and then redo his contract. Except teams have to take on the contract as is and be under the cap at the time of the trade. So his $25M salary wouldn’t fit with only $11M in cap room. 

When asked about the team's trade for the No. 3 overall pick, 49ers GM John Lynch said Jimmy Garoppolo "likes competition."

"We felt like we had a team that can compete," Lynch said. "We went to ownership, said 'hey things are looking good, we want to make this (trade), but we don't want to say goodbye to Jimmy.'" Per Lynch, 49ers ownership signed off on keeping both a rookie and the 29-year-old veteran under contract for 2021. It confirms what was already known: the Niners will be adding someone under center at No. 3, and Garoppolo is in fact part of the team's plans ... for now. (Coach Kyle Shanahan added that the team wouldn't "rule out a trade" if they're "absolutely blown away.") Both Lynch and Shanahan are scheduled to be in attendance for Mac Jones', Trey Lance's, and Justin Fields' (rescheduled) pro days.

RELATED: 

Kyle Shanahan

, John Lynch

SOURCE: Cam Inman on Twitter

Mar 29, 2021, 3:36 PM ET

NFL Network's Michael Giardi reports the 49ers are asking for a first-round pick for Jimmy Garoppolo.

Patriots have reportedly been "sniffing around" for another option under center but were told Garoppolo would cost a first-round pick. The 29-year-old will clearly stay in San Francisco another year if the organization isn't willing to budge on that absurd return. Due a $26.4 million cap hit in 2021, it remains a real possibility the team sticks with Garoppolo no matter who joins the roster with the No. 3 overall pick.

SOURCE: Mike Giardi on Twitter

Apr 2, 2021, 1:51 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he "feels good about five guys" with the No. 3 overall pick.

"We could have sat there at 12, and waited which one came to us, if one did," Shanahan responded when asked about the team's decision to trade up to No. 3, "but we made a decision that we felt we needed to get a starting quarterback. We wanted to dicatate it. We'll get the one that we feel is best for us." He also said the organization made the trade "with one quarterback in mind" but "all the other candidates have gotten better" after a month of evaluation. One thing is clear: Jimmy Garoppolo and the $26.4 million cap hit he's due this year will be out the door before training camp begins. Whether it's Mac Jones or Trey Lance who inevitably takes his spot will be determined Thursday.

RELATED: 

Mac Jones

, Trey Lance

Apr 26, 2021, 3:05 PM ET

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports there is a "very strong expectation" that the 49ers will try to trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo before or during the draft.

The 49ers have likely been trying to trade Garoppolo for months but he remains on the roster. San Francisco has no leverage in negotiations after showing their hand by trading up to the third overall pick. Because of this, the few teams that may be interested in trading for the veteran's services are undoubtedly holding out for a better deal. Garoppolo has been a solid starter with the 49ers, averaging 8.3 yards per attempt and throwing 46 scores to just 26 interceptions. However, most teams appear to view him as a product of the Kyle Shanahan scheme based on the lackluster market for him. Expect to see Garoppolo land with a contending team for a minimal price if the 49ers can create a deal at all.

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Apr 27, 2021, 1:35 PM ET

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports there is a "very strong expectation" that the 49ers will try to trade QB Jimmy Garoppolo before or during the draft.

The 49ers have likely been trying to trade Garoppolo for months but he remains on the roster. San Francisco has no leverage in negotiations after showing their hand by trading up to the third overall pick. Because of this, the few teams that may be interested in trading for the veteran's services are undoubtedly holding out for a better deal. Garoppolo has been a solid starter with the 49ers, averaging 8.3 yards per attempt and throwing 46 scores to just 26 interceptions. However, most teams appear to view him as a product of the Kyle Shanahan scheme based on the lackluster market for him. Expect to see Garoppolo land with a contending team for a minimal price if the 49ers can create a deal at all.

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
There are currently only two teams that have enough cap room to acquire JG at the moment . . . JAC and DEN. Not sure there is much chance of him getting traded.

There are currently only two teams that have enough cap room to acquire JG at the moment . . . JAC and DEN. Not sure there is much chance of him getting traded.
He has a no trade contract...my guess is if he gets traded it is to a place he wants to go and re-doing the contract will be part of it.

He has a no trade contract...my guess is if he gets traded it is to a place he wants to go and re-doing the contract will be part of it.
Except JG would have to redo the deal while still a member of the 49ers (unless his new team could take on his full 2021 cap hit at the time of the trade). Any money that SF either converts to a bonus or gets added on as bonus money would become SF's problem (including the associated cap hit), not the acquiring team. So either SF would have to be willing to eat the cap hit for giving him more money upfront or JG would have to be willing to forgo any upfront money . . . and neither one of those makes much sense.

If you remember, this was the same situation that NE went through in trading for Randy Moss. They need Moss to rework his deal with OAK before they acquired him. When he landed on the NE roster, Moss thought he could just immediately rework his deal again, but the rule is players can only renegotiate once per calendar year.

Maybe there is some creative workaround like giving JG an extension and pushing most of the cap hit into future or dummy years to lower his 2021 cap number, but how Garoppolo could then recoup that money from his new team is above my pay grade. I still think it is in Jimmy G's best interest to be irritating and get his outright release vs. having to take 50 cents on the dollar to facilitate a trade. From SF's side, I think it will be hard to move him with his current contract, so they will have to decide if they would rather get a better draft pick in return and throw in some money or get a limited return (or cut him) to get him off their roster.

I wonder what the league as a whole values Garoppolo, as he has been hurt so much that a team would really have concerns how much he would be able to play each year (and what they would feel he is worth paying).

*cough* Patriots *cough*
I'm all ears if you can figure out how to accomplish this (even though I don't think NE should go after JG). NE at the moment has $15M in cap space, but they need to allocate half of that for Patrick Chung retiring and to sign their rookie picks. So effectively they have $7.5M to work with. Jimmy G would carry a $25.5M salary cap charge. How would NE be able to pull off a trade for JG?

So either SF would have to be willing to eat the cap hit for giving him more money upfront or...
That situation could make sense to my untrained mind. Maybe Jimmy decides it's worth it to play in NE and recover his value for $12m, the pats decide it's worth giving up a 2 to get Jimmy for $5m, and the niners decide it's worth paying $7m to get a 2 for JG instead of paying nothing and getting nothing?

Or maybe it's impossible for all 4 numbers to line up. 

That situation could make sense to my untrained mind. Maybe Jimmy decides it's worth it to play in NE and recover his value for $12m, the pats decide it's worth giving up a 2 to get Jimmy for $5m, and the niners decide it's worth paying $7m to get a 2 for JG instead of paying nothing and getting nothing?

Or maybe it's impossible for all 4 numbers to line up. 
There are probably ways (and alternative moves) that could make things work. That being said, I doubt NE would offer a 2nd given that they could end up being the only legitimate suitors. This situation has been discussed so much here in Boston that I am getting sick of listening to it, but the talking heads seem to think all NE needs to do is offer slightly more than the few teams that don't end up with a hot shot rookie. So it's possible the only teams in the mix could be CHI and WFT (if they even want JG . . . and they can't afford him). The local media thinks it may only take a late 3rd or a 4th to land Garoppolo . . . and it may even be in next year's draft.

That being said, I don't think JG is that big an upgrade for NE and would much rather they try to get one of the rookies. My opinion might change slightly depending upon what it takes to get him and what they have to pay him. But if the answer to that question is a first round pick and $25-26M a year, then I say no thanks. IMO, his upside is limited and he is can't be relied upon to be available all the time. Certainly other people have better hope for him than I do, but I think he is not the answer in NE.

There are probably ways (and alternative moves) that could make things work. That being said, I doubt NE would offer a 2nd given that they could end up being the only legitimate suitors. This situation has been discussed so much here in Boston that I am getting sick of listening to it, but the talking heads seem to think all NE needs to do is offer slightly more than the few teams that don't end up with a hot shot rookie. So it's possible the only teams in the mix could be CHI and WFT (if they even want JG . . . and they can't afford him). The local media thinks it may only take a late 3rd or a 4th to land Garoppolo . . . and it may even be in next year's draft.

That being said, I don't think JG is that big an upgrade for NE and would much rather they try to get one of the rookies. My opinion might change slightly depending upon what it takes to get him and what they have to pay him. But if the answer to that question is a first round pick and $25-26M a year, then I say no thanks. IMO, his upside is limited and he is can't be relied upon to be available all the time. Certainly other people have better hope for him than I do, but I think he is not the answer in NE.
Yeah, I was just making up numbers for the sake of the example, including the pick (that was the 4th variable besides what NE pays, SF pays, and JG makes). That's probably a valid statement that there's just not a market of teams he'd be an upgrade for that could afford him, so it wouldn't take that high of a pick. 

I'm surprised to hear anyone say he's not a big upgrade over Cam, but I guess I can't say I've seen all that much of JG. I just thought Cam still looked like burnt toast last year. 

Yeah, I was just making up numbers for the sake of the example, including the pick (that was the 4th variable besides what NE pays, SF pays, and JG makes). That's probably a valid statement that there's just not a market of teams he'd be an upgrade for that could afford him, so it wouldn't take that high of a pick. 

I'm surprised to hear anyone say he's not a big upgrade over Cam, but I guess I can't say I've seen all that much of JG. I just thought Cam still looked like burnt toast last year. 
PFF graded Cam at 70.9 last year in NE. They had Garoppolo at 67.5 / 77.9 / 62.6 his last three seasons, arguably with much better weapons than Newton had to work with. If nothing else, Jimmy G not worth what he’s been paid. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the chances of 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo being traded are "remote."

That could change in the next 72 hours of course, but teams believe the Niners' asking price for Garoppolo, who still has some control over his fate with a no-trade clause, is currently too high. The Patriots and Bears are still expected to reach out pending how Thursday's draft shakes out. The 29-year-old should begin discussing a restructured deal with another organization over the weekend as either Mac Jones or Trey Lance will take every rep as San Francisco's starter the moment camp opens.

Apr 29, 2021, 8:53 AM ET

Funny how the same situation gets reported different ways.

Adam Schefter: 'New England or no one' if 49ers trade Jimmy Garoppolo
The discussion on the radio was that there are no other suitors for JG, and even though Schefter initially threw out a 2nd rounder as compensation, after some debate, the price dropped to a 3rd or a 4th because NE is not bidding against anyone else.

Tom Curran: The Jimmy G homecoming seems almost inevitable now
Curran doubled and tripled down last night on TV saying that Garoppolo is all but a done deal coming back to NE. It certainly didn't sound like his opinion or speculation.

NESN's Dale Arnold: Patriots are working on a new contract for Jimmy G
Here's the entire tweet: What I’ve been told, by a reliable source - Patriots are working on a new contract for Jimmy G that could lead to a deal with 49ers. Same source who correctly told me Tom Brady had signed with Buccaneers. Doesn’t mean it will get done, but they’re working on it.

Fox Sports: JIMMY GAROPPOLO COULD BE HEADED BACK TO THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Skip Bayless: "Will he move back to Foxborough? I'm going to say a big yes to that."

5 landing spots and trade packages for QB Jimmy Garoppolo
They propose Garoppolo and pick 194 for picks 122 and 139.

On the flip side . . .

Athletic's Jeff Howe: Nothing happening between the Patriots and Jimmy Garoppolo
Entire tweet: Nothing happening between the Patriots and Jimmy Garoppolo at this time, according to two sources.

Per Schefter: 49ers Field Multiple Trade Inquiries For Garoppolo
From the same guy that yesterday said SF has no other team interested in JG except NE.

Part of me is hoping the 9ers are smoke screening on this; they keep Jimmy G and they draft Kyle Pitts to go with Kittle.  
I get that you don't really think SF will take PItts, but teams don't trade three firsts and a third to draft a TE. They just don't . . . even if the guy looks like the next Tony Gonzalez. In the SB era, the only TE drafted in the Top 5 was Riley Odoms (taken 5th in 1972).

Part of me is hoping the 9ers are smoke screening on this; they keep Jimmy G and they draft Kyle Pitts to go with Kittle.  
Personally I suspect if they’re stuck with JimmyG (and there’s always a chance a deal does get done) that it’s more likely they take Lance or Fields & let them marinate on the bench to develop further. 🤞🏼 

Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle) "seems totally healthy."

The words comes straight from coach Kyle Shanahan, who said he has even stopped asking Garoppolo about his injury. Garoppolo is participating in OTAs. A healthy Garoppolo will be a necessity as the Niners bring along No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance. First-round quarterbacks are always the favorite to start for their teams, but Lance has played one game since the end of the 2019 FCS season. It is possible he is simply not ready for Week 1. It seems unlikely that Garoppolo is traded at this point. 

SOURCE: Matt Barrows on Twitter 

May 25, 2021, 5:13 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said there is no quarterback competition, and that Jimmy Garoppolo is the team's starter. 

Shanahan did say Garoppolo and No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance would get "equal reps with the same group." That wording is reporter Can Inman's. GM John Lynch also expressed the mildest of frustration that Lance has yet to sign his rookie deal. It stands to reason that the Niners will bring Lance along slowly. He is an FCS quarterback who has played one game since 2019, an exhibition against Central Arkansas. It is quite possible Lance simply overawes with his athleticism and football IQ to win the Niners' starting job in camp, but that is the way Lance will have to go about it. The Niners have made it clear they are serious about not just handing him the gig. 

RELATED: 

Trey Lance

SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter 

Jul 27, 2021, 2:10 PM ET

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said the team "doesn’t currently have plans to give Trey Lance first-team reps."

Shanahan continued protecting Jimmy Garoppolo's feelings, saying he “thought Trey had one of his better days on Saturday” but that it "doesn’t alter the quarterback composition" in his mind. He also said there’s "no plan right now to change that" and does not "anticipate Lance being able to look better than Garoppolo before the season opener." The No. 3 overall pick has caused a stir in camp, making significantly more splash plays than Garoppolo so far, but Shanahan has yet to budge on the veteran's place atop the depth chart. With the team's bye in Week 6, it's still possible the organization transitions to Lance by Week 7 no matter Garoppolo's status and production at that time.

RELATED: 

Trey Lance

SOURCE: Dave Lombardi on Twitter

Kyle Shanahan: a true chip off the ol' block. He keeps playing his cards right, he's going to net a windfall in trade, some time in the next few weeks.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said the team is preparing No. 3 overall pick Trey Lance to play "situationally" this year. 

He also said that doesn’t mean there’s an open QB competition,  just that he personally wants to get Lance reps with the first-team offense; this, of course, only 48 hours after he said the team "doesn’t currently have plans to give Lance first-team reps." It's clear that Shanahan continues dancing around Garoppolo's feelings, moving closer to naming Lance the starter with every practice that comes and goes. Lance has reportedly outperformed the veteran in camp, as well, attacking the team's defense at every level of the field (including on the ground). All signs point to the rookie transitioning into a featured role much earlier than San Francisco's Week 6 bye.

RELATED: 

Trey Lance

SOURCE: Dave Lombardi on Twitter

Aug 6, 2021, 3:48 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread