What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (5 Viewers)

Wisconsin Belgian Red for the win.
Well yeah, I'd rather have that, but this guy who is apparently now muling me New Glarus beers is like 23 years old and for the most part drinks only Miller Lite.  I don't know that he's even aware of their fruit beers, though they make the best fruit beers I've ever had.  I love Raspberry Tart and Serendipity too.  Strawberry Rhubarb I don't love as much solo, but it's fantastic when mixed with a stout.  I have no idea which of these are still in production...it's been a few years now since I've been to Wisconsin.

So do I....everyone was incredulous when I said that (wife has a lot of family ties to WI).  Last time the guy was here he brought a few bottles of Spotted Cow, this time it was a 12-pack of Moon Man.
Its funny how - as a Wisconsin resident - we overlook something because its so commonly available. I'm an avowed pale ale aficionado, I think its the best style to judge a brewery's quality, love Moon Man, and yet I bypass it all the time on the grocery store shelves to buy some fancy out of state beer.

Spotted Cow reminds me a lot of Fat Tire. Its a flagship beer that is by far the brewery's biggest seller, keeps the lights on and ensures they make payroll each month, but really is not a very good product. For both New Glarus and New Belgium, their flagship beers allow them to do all the cool side projects that the beer geeks appreciate, so I love both those beers even though I won't drink either.

New Glarus has made consistently the best wheat beers I've ever had.  Dancing Man, Crack'd Wheat, Black Wheat are all superb.  I don't know what is still part of their main lineup.  I tried to explain this to wife's cousin and he turned his nose up at the concept of wheat beers....but again, he's not exactly a huge beer guy.

Its funny how - as a Wisconsin resident - we overlook something because its so commonly available. I'm an avowed pale ale aficionado, I think its the best style to judge a brewery's quality, love Moon Man, and yet I bypass it all the time on the grocery store shelves to buy some fancy out of state beer.

Spotted Cow reminds me a lot of Fat Tire. Its a flagship beer that is by far the brewery's biggest seller, keeps the lights on and ensures they make payroll each month, but really is not a very good product. For both New Glarus and New Belgium, their flagship beers allow them to do all the cool side projects that the beer geeks appreciate, so I love both those beers even though I won't drink either.
I have heard, unconfirmed, that pre-ABInbev buyout, Goose Island 312 represented something like 40-50% of their total sales.  I've also heard that for the longest time, Ithaca's Apricot Wheat comprised well over 50% of their total sales.  It was by far their worst mainline offering in terms of beer quality, but yeah, it kept the lights on for years.  

I have heard, unconfirmed, that pre-ABInbev buyout, Goose Island 312 represented something like 40-50% of their total sales.  I've also heard that for the longest time, Ithaca's Apricot Wheat comprised well over 50% of their total sales.  It was by far their worst mainline offering in terms of beer quality, but yeah, it kept the lights on for years.  
Yeah, I think that this is actually pretty common among the bigger craft breweries. Stuff like Sam Adams Boston Lager, SN Pale Ale, Fat Tire, and the crap that Yuengling makes are always best sellers by far. They are "gateway" beers without a ton of flavor or character that are designed to hook in the AAL drinker. Also, as big as craft has become, it still only represents a tiny fraction of the beer market -- 12% as of this past May. Far more people are still happily drinking their Bud Light, and it makes sense that the best selling craft brands are in the same inoffensive "blah" mold.

Oberon is another example. Its probably the only thing Bell's makes that I won't drink, but is by far their biggest seller.

Rise of the Angels (grapefruit DIPA) back at 18th Street -- $11 / sixer. At this point, it looks like the bizarre pricing was almost certainly a temporary glitch.  :thumbup:

What He's Having IPA  This is Wooden Robots take on a NE IPA and it is fantastic. This officially moves Hop Drop and Roll down to #3 on the Charlotte IPA list. 

Rise of the Angels (grapefruit DIPA) back at 18th Street -- $11 / sixer. At this point, it looks like the bizarre pricing was almost certainly a temporary glitch.  :thumbup:
Or they realized stuff sitting around due to higher prices wasn't getting it done. There's also a thread on BA and they are mentioned frequently, as I am sure you are aware. 

Rise of the Angels is one I will go back for. 

Long Ball Larry said:
what is number 2? (or 1)
Heist is making the best IPA's in Charlotte.  The good news is they have added another system and are occasionally canning some items. Bad news is the releases have been limited to 100 cases and even with limits they are gone in a couple of hours. 

1. Heist - Citraquench'l

2. Wooden Robot - What He's Having

3. Noda - Hop Drop and Roll

Hailstorm Complete Train wreck on tap at Hailstorm. American barleywine with coconut and toasted oak. At first OT was OK. The more it warms up....damn is this good. 

Got a box from NE today. Just finished a Trillium Stillings St IPA (Nelson), a Bissell Bros Substance IPA, and a Focal Banger IPA. #AllHighway

Fresh Alpha King is so good. It gets overlooked because of the hype that the big FFF hop bombs generate, but it's just a great APA in it's own right.
Used to be my favorite beer for a time. Now there's so much good I don't have a favorite but Alpha King will always hold a special place in my liver...

Tonight, probably more Cumulus and some Surly Furious. Then probably wine with the wife followed by a bad decision bomber at around midnight. 

Do you just trade for this, buy it? You drink amazing IPAs like a redneck drinks Miller Lite.
All trades. I have a regular trade buddy who lives near Trillium and goes to Tree House and other NE breweries all the time. I send her Florida BA stouts and she sends me NE hops. Its perfect.

Yesterday I had Cantillon Fou Foune (2014) and Arclight Opus Fraise Rhubarbe (BA sour with strawberries and rhubarb). The Arclight has the most insane nose Ive ever experienced, just incredible. Both amazing beers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah, I'd rather have that, but this guy who is apparently now muling me New Glarus beers is like 23 years old and for the most part drinks only Miller Lite.  I don't know that he's even aware of their fruit beers, though they make the best fruit beers I've ever had.  I love Raspberry Tart and Serendipity too.  Strawberry Rhubarb I don't love as much solo, but it's fantastic when mixed with a stout.  I have no idea which of these are still in production...it's been a few years now since I've been to Wisconsin.

I don't like their fruit beers at all. Way too sweet/syrupy for me. 

Four Fathers is releasing a new triple IPA -- Demon Core -- this weekend -- 13% ABV, 150 IBUs, fermented with Brett. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull that off and have it still be decently drinkable, as that sounds pretty extreme. Also just tapped their wet hop harvest ale, which I know is great (and one of my personal favorite styles). I know what I'll be drinking this weekend...

I'm headed to Chicago next weekend for the first time since I moved from there five years ago.  It seems like the beer scene has matured a lot over the past five years.  Pipeworks didn't even exist when I left there.  

Any of you Chicago guys have recommendations for the best spots in town for top-notch beer selections?  I've read some good stuff about Local Option, Bangers and Lace, and Links Taproom.  Some of my old hangouts in Chicago were the Map Room, Hopleaf, Bar on Buena, Revolution, and Half Acre.  

Thanks! 

Coeur de Lion said:
Four Fathers is releasing a new triple IPA -- Demon Core -- this weekend -- 13% ABV, 150 IBUs, fermented with Brett. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull that off and have it still be decently drinkable, as that sounds pretty extreme. Also just tapped their wet hop harvest ale, which I know is great (and one of my personal favorite styles). I know what I'll be drinking this weekend...
I had a triple IPA recently, forget what brewery but it was 11.5% and surprised the crap out of me in terms of how drinkable is was, dangerous.

I'm headed to Chicago next weekend for the first time since I moved from there five years ago.  It seems like the beer scene has matured a lot over the past five years.  Pipeworks didn't even exist when I left there.  

Any of you Chicago guys have recommendations for the best spots in town for top-notch beer selections?  I've read some good stuff about Local Option, Bangers and Lace, and Links Taproom.  Some of my old hangouts in Chicago were the Map Room, Hopleaf, Bar on Buena, Revolution, and Half Acre.  

Thanks! 
Emporium Arcade Bar is pretty cool, but the majority of the bars in the city now have a very good to excellent selection. Where are you going to be specifically in the city?

Buckfast 1 said:
I'm staying in Lakeview with a friend, but I don't feel limited by the neighborhood.  I'll go anywhere for good beer.  
Heard back from him.

"Sheffield’s and DryHop are probably my favorite.  Good food at both places as well. Paddy Long’s, Delilah’s, Northdown, Headquarters are also legit.  Fountainhead is a little further north but it’s always on Draft Magazine’s list of top 100 beer bars in the country (Sheffield’s too).  Bar on Buena is pretty good. Never been but Green Lady and Beermiscuous are supposed to be really good.  Just checked Green Lady’s tap list and it’s legit…they’ve got 18th Street Sinister on tap right now."

Well, somehow I ended up with 8 for Saturday AM. I purchased my 4 and checked my inbox. Said I needed to verify my email, which prompted me to re-enter my info. I didn't want to lose the other 4 so I re-entered it and now...8. 

I have an email in to IMBIBE to see what I need to do but at the end of this I may have 4 extras. 

Users who are viewing this thread