What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (4 Viewers)

I need to find some born yesterday.

So Civil Society is having their one year anniversary block party bash on Nov 19th...a bunch of breweries are coming, and I was surprised to see Ocelot on the list. Really excited to try anything from them. Here's a full list, can't wait for this!

LOCAL FLORIDA BREWERIES

• 3 Sons Brewing
  • 7venth Sun Brewing
  • Aardwolf Brewing Company
  • Angry Chair Brewing
  • Barrel of Monks Brewing
  • Cigar City Brewing
  • Copperpoint Brewing Co.
  • Coppertail Brewing Co.
  • Cycle Brewing
  • Funky Buddha Brewery
  • GrassLands Brewing Co.
  • J Wakefield Brewing
  • M.I.A. Brewing Co.
  • Orchid Island Brewery
  • Proof Brewing Co.
  • Sailfish Brewing Company
  • Saltwater Brewery
  • Slim Pickens Cider & Mead
  • Tequesta Brewing Company
  • Twisted Trunk Brewing
  • Walking Tree Brewery
  • Wynwood Brewery

OUT OF STATE BREWERIES

• Aslin Beer Company
  • Begyle Brewing Company
  • Finback Brewery
  • Night Shift Brewing
  • Ocelot Brewing Company
  • Other Half Brewing
  • Southern Grist
  • The Answer Brewpub
  • Triple Cross Brewing Company

.  Anyone have any sours they'd recommend? Just really started to get into them. 
As far as relatively easily available and inexpensive, look to Belgium IMO. Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Monk's Cafe, Liefmans Goudenband are all fantastic. The Goose Island "sour sisters" are all great, but will run you $30 / bottle probably. If you can find anything from Jester King, Jolly Pumpkin, Wicked Weed, or Crooked Stave grab it immediately. The Russian River sours are spectacular (Supplication, etc). Westbrook Gose.

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
As far as relatively easily available and inexpensive, look to Belgium IMO. Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Monk's Cafe, Liefmans Goudenband are all fantastic. The Goose Island "sour sisters" are all great, but will run you $30 / bottle probably. If you can find anything from Jester King, Jolly Pumpkin, Wicked Weed, or Crooked Stave grab it immediately. The Russian River sours are spectacular (Supplication, etc). Westbrook Gose.
Thanks a ton man, I just had the Westbrook Key Lime Gose....loved it, ran back to the beer distributor and they were gone.  He said they go quick.  Appreciate it, writing these all down. 

Thanks a ton man, I just had the Westbrook Key Lime Gose....loved it, ran back to the beer distributor and they were gone.  He said they go quick.  Appreciate it, writing these all down. 
:thumbup:

Get ready to spend a lot more money on beer LOL. Tons of fruit + barrel aging = $$$$$$

I'm sure that other folks will have additional recommendations.

:thumbup:

Get ready to spend a lot more money on beer LOL. Tons of fruit + barrel aging = $$$$$$

I'm sure that other folks will have additional recommendations.
No doubt, I walked out of the place yesterday with Lost Nation Gose (4 pack) and two others...I'll edit tonight with the names of em....and spent $55.  The Westbrooks cost me $17 for a 4 pack last week....granted this is in Brooklyn, so everything is always a little more.

Edit: Ok the other two were:  transmitter lactobacillus pH no 3 and an omnipollo Bianca 6%. Haven't tried them yet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find anything from Jester King, Jolly Pumpkin, Wicked Weed, or Crooked Stave grab it immediately. The Russian River sours are spectacular (Supplication, etc). Westbrook Gose.
Well I found the Crooked Staves yesterday at all the places . . . . . Whole foods. Pricey! The sour Blueberry ran $15 and the raspberry $10. For pints!  My wife thought I was nuts. Bahahahahahaha!  Didn't crack em yet.   

Well I found the Crooked Staves yesterday at all the places . . . . . Whole foods. Pricey! The sour Blueberry ran $15 and the raspberry $10. For pints!  My wife thought I was nuts. Bahahahahahaha!  Didn't crack em yet.   
You won't be disappointed...

• Smile
Reactions: Neo
Somewhat more affordable and both very good imo - La Folie and Le Terroir from New Belgium.

Sour beer is a very expensive habit.

Suggestions for beer to hand out to adult trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood on Monday night?

Nothing too crazy that will be acceptable to a variety of palates but not Bud Light.

Probably easier to do cans than bottles, had Rogue Dead Guy, Hobgoblin, Pumking, etc last year.

No pumpkins.

Thoughts?

Early clubhouse leader is Sam Adams Octoberfest cans.

Suggestions for beer to hand out to adult trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood on Monday night?

Nothing too crazy that will be acceptable to a variety of palates but not Bud Light.

Probably easier to do cans than bottles.

No pumpkins.

Thoughts?
SNPA or Fat Tire are both good choices in this situation IMO -- cheap, non-offensive, way better than macro garbage.

Probably easier to do cans than bottles, had Rogue Dead Guy, Hobgoblin, Pumking, etc last year.

No pumpkins.

Thoughts?

Early clubhouse leader is Sam Adams Octoberfest cans.
place my kids went to last year had a spread of snacks and beers out for the adults. guy was working a grill, they had cheese, crackers and sausage + a cooler full of various beers.

my first time seeing that. this sort of thing should be more common.

nice couple :thumbup:   

place my kids went to last year had a spread of snacks and beers out for the adults. guy was working a grill, they had cheese, crackers and sausage + a cooler full of various beers.

I don't go crazy on the food.  We order pizza with some friends before the whole thing starts but that's about it.  I'll have the fire pit going in the driveway with a bunch of seating.  Aforementioned beers and probably some spiked hot chocolate for passersby and hangersout.

Yeah, a few houses in my neighborhood do this too. It's great -- I usually drag a wagon with a cooler in it around as I take my kids and share some good beers with the adults that I encounter. Makes the evening much more fun.

All my life I've roamed the earth never understanding what beer I liked, or whether I had a favorite beer.  Usually I was probably too drunk to notice or care.  I knew I didn't like IPA (too bitter, heartburn) and liked the occasional Coors Light like I like drinking a water, but everything else in between was a mix.  I've always liked Brooklyn Lager or SAl Lager.  But it finally has recently hit me.

Brooklyn Brown Ale is my favorite beer.  Second place is Negro Modelo.

A crisp Brooklyn Brown is awesome.  Just the right amount of flavor and heft, but none of the hoppy wheaty beer nerd stuff where you can chew on the sediments.  Brown Ale is like the secret weapon. 

The challenge: I've often bought the Brooklyn mixed cases and drank the 4 Brooklyn Browns in there, maybe enjoyed the lagers, and then I'm left with a bunch of other stuff.  It's like when I was a kid and we'd get the tub of three ice cream flavors and then the strawberry would just sit in there alone until someone threw it out.

My quest tonight: do some hunting to see if I can get Brooklyn Brown by the case. 

Wish me luck.

Question for the beer nerds: does this mean I prefer "malty" beer to "hoppy" beer?  I don't know what any of this stuff means.  TIA

Question for the beer nerds: does this mean I prefer "malty" beer to "hoppy" beer?  I don't know what any of this stuff means.  TIA
Maybe, but there are a ton of hop-forward beers that aren't overly bitter too. Find a place that sells "build your own" sixers and try a variety. If you're a brown ale guy, maybe try red ales and porters.

Based on your comments I would say that yes you prefer malty beer to hoppy beer.

Hops will impart a bitterness in the beer.  The hoppier a beer is, the higher the "IBU", the more bitter a beer will be.  Different hops add different flavor character as well, from citrus to floral to pine etc.  Hops are somewhat sensitive and can "fade" more quickly, becoming somewhat stale - yet still certainly drinkable - the longer they sit.

The malt will impart a sweetness in the beer, in a very general sense.  Different malts and different malt preparations (smoking, etc) will add different flavor character also.  Generally (very generally) the darker in color a beer is, the more "malty" it is.  Very general rule of thumb.

I suspect you should be able to find 12-pack bottles of Brooklyn Brown, though not sure.

There is no right answer.  You should seek out other brown ales and maybe a light porter to see if that's the direction you want to go.  Or perhaps look for a "hoppy amber" or similar....will have the malt character you like with a bit of hop bite.

One of my all-time favorite beers is Great Lakes Nosferatu.  It is a bit late in the season but you should still be able to find it.  It is a hoppy red "American Strong Ale".  Give that a try if you want something to test your palate.

Not sure if Bell's distributes your way but Bell's Best Brown is a good one. Another that I have seen frequently but haven't tried is Big Sky Moose Drool. Ambers like Fat Tire, Bell's Amber, etc are solid too. 

Yes!  This sounds right.  I do enjoy red ales.  Porters as well.
Also gravitate toward European beer -- for the most part, beer from Belgium, Germany, and England are malty / yeasty and the hops are secondary. Belgian strong dark ales / dubbels / tripels (which are lighter) / quads are what started me down the craft beer path 20+ years ago. Many of the best beers in the world come from Belgium -- try Rochefort 8 or 10 or Chimay red or blue. Easy to find and spectacular beers brewed by monks using centuries-old recipes -- those will seriously change the way you look at and think about beer moving forward. 

One of my all-time favorite beers is Great Lakes Nosferatu.  It is a bit late in the season but you should still be able to find it.  It is a hoppy red "American Strong Ale".  Give that a try if you want something to test your palate.
One of my favorites!  I really miss some of the Midwest brews, this is one of them.

Revolution was in town last week at a place down the street doing some guest taps.  At least I got a few pints of TV Party Rye IPA and took a six pack home of Anti Hero.

Just tested out the new Blichmann burner brewing a Pliny clone a few hours ago. That thing is awesome. I think next week we are brewing a Heady clone. 

Anyway, Duet for now. Either Sangremancer or Evil Dead Red in a bit. 

going to a Founders Beer "Dinner" tonight (it's breakfast themed)...done a few of these at a local bar and they've been pretty good, although some of the pours are pretty chintzy, the food has been pretty good

1st COURSE
Buttermilk Biscuits & Gravy
Original Detroit Sausage, House Made Biscuit
Pale Joe ...
Pale Ale Brewed with Coffee 5.4%

2nd COURSE
Pumpkin Pancakes
Michigan Maple Syrup
2015 Project Pam
Backstage Series Black IPA Aged in Bourbon
Barrels with Maple Syrup

3rd COURSE