What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (5 Viewers)

CGRdrJoe said:
Johnny Nash today too 😢😢 man, I can see clearly now 😢😢😢
How sad is it that my 50 y.o. wife had no knowledge of this song whatsoever?  How do you go 50 years (ok, technically 48 years) without this song in your life?  No wonder she's such a pessimist...  ;)  

Hall of Famer Joe Morgan 
this will sound a shallow tribute but it comes from a genuine place.

as i've recounted before, me and fellow 8th graders Jimmy Mezger and Larry Latelli "drafted" fantasy baseball teams for the 1968 season in the school cafeteria, using the SI season preview issue (featuring the world champion St Louis Cardinals' team picture with the caption "Million Dollar Team" on the cover) and tracking their stats in the Sunday Globe and Sporting News. so i got some fantasy cred

it's weird, but i was mad at the pre-Bill James sports world when Joe Morgan came along for not understanding his excellence in the way only a stathead could. The novelty and relative value of such on-base %, power & speed all coming from a middle infielder who was not only a great defender but a leader on the field made my sabermetric head explode. When i could finally express my admiration in a material way by looking for the Joe Morgan in every player i considered drafting to fantasy teams, i made a ####-ton of dough doing so. Thank you, Joe, you magnificent baseball *******! RIP -

Wikkid makes me feel young again. In my only lifetime league I go "way" back to the early 90's.  Which still puts me a quarter century behind Mr. Rotisserie here.

Marty and Joe on WCMH out of Columbus Ohio in the 1970's, I consider myself so blessed/fortunate to have grown up in Ohio in a dinky little town that was 100 miles east of Columbus, 100 miles west of Pittsburgh and 100 miles south of Cleveland.  So I pretty much grew up spoiled for sports watching the great Woody Hayes and The Ohio State Buckeyes football teams, The Big Red Machine on TV, The Cardiac Kids Cleveland Browns teams as well as the Cleveland Indians on WUAB TV Channel 43 out of Cleveland (along with WJW, WEWS and of course WMMS the buzzard on 100.7 FM.)

All my childhood heros are dying off one by one.  I really, really, really hate 2020, it's been like eating one gigantic sh!t sandwich, bite by miserable bite, day by day the whole damned year!

RIP Joe - and yes by God I most certainly did the arm flap in little league baseball!

Last edited by a moderator:
Conchata Ferrell, who played the wisecracking housekeeper on "Two And A Half Men." She was 77.

If there was ever a female version of "that guy," it was her.
I remember her as far back as Network (reading script pitches to Faye Dunaway) and a sitcom called ER (w Elliot Gould, Mary McDonnell, Jason Alexander, George Clooney as the Fonzie clone that was in every show then and my all-time unknown crush Corinne Bohrer) a few years before the drama ER. Sheen-era Two & a Half Men has been my guilty pleasure and go-to commercial-killer for a long time. Thank you, Miss Ferrell. RIP -

I remember her as far back as Network (reading script pitches to Faye Dunaway) and a sitcom called ER (w Elliot Gould, Mary McDonnell, Jason Alexander, George Clooney as the Fonzie clone that was in every show then and my all-time unknown crush Corinne Bohrer) a few years before the drama ER. Sheen-era Two & a Half Men has been my guilty pleasure and go-to commercial-killer for a long time. Thank you, Miss Ferrell. RIP -
Loved that show.  And Corinne Bohrer, especially the ice machine scene in Dead Solid Perfect with Randy Quaid.  Teenage me may have worn out my VHS with that one.

Loved that show.  And Corinne Bohrer, especially the ice machine scene in Dead Solid Perfect with Randy Quaid.  Teenage me may have worn out my VHS with that one.
that and Friends/Breaking Bad bit-playerJessica Hecht dancing in a flick called AnarchyTV are my two favorite celeb clips of all time. i just watch em for the articles, of course....

Fishboy said:
RIP Berta. You were the star of the show. 
Berta was very funny...”Okay, I haven't sampled anything from the other side of the buffet since I traveled with the Grateful Dead, but golly Moses, she's a muffin.”

This is a relatively obscure name for non-music fans, but one-time King Crimson bassist and vocalist Gordon Haskell has died at age 74.

Haskell had been childhood friends with Robert Fripp, and when Greg Lake quit King Crimson in 1970, Fripp brought in his old friend Haskell as a last-minute replacement. Haskell contributed to 2 of King Crimson's albums (In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard) but left the band in 1971 because his heart was set on playing folk and jazz standards. He released a solo album in 1971 and spend the next thirty years living and playing in obscurity.

Then, the strangest thing happened. In 2001, a DJ for the BBC began playing his song "How Wonderful You Are". Out of nowhere, it became the most requested song in the history of the BBC, eventually rising to #2 on the charts. Suddenly, Gordon Haskell was a pop star at age 55. He followed up with several albums in the adult jazz/folk/pop vein before semi-retiring a few years ago.

Not sure how he died but his Facebook page announcing it a few hours ago. RIP

This is a relatively obscure name for non-music fans, but one-time King Crimson bassist and vocalist Gordon Haskell has died at age 74.

Haskell had been childhood friends with Robert Fripp, and when Greg Lake quit King Crimson in 1970, Fripp brought in his old friend Haskell as a last-minute replacement. Haskell contributed to 2 of King Crimson's albums (In the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard) but left the band in 1971 because his heart was set on playing folk and jazz standards. He released a solo album in 1971 and spend the next thirty years living and playing in obscurity.

Then, the strangest thing happened. In 2001, a DJ for the BBC began playing his song "How Wonderful You Are". Out of nowhere, it became the most requested song in the history of the BBC, eventually rising to #2 on the charts. Suddenly, Gordon Haskell was a pop star at age 55. He followed up with several albums in the adult jazz/folk/pop vein before semi-retiring a few years ago.

Not sure how he died but his Facebook page announcing it a few hours ago. RIP
That's too bad. Wake and Lizard aren't as strong as the debut or the albums from the Wetton/Bruford era, but they've each got some high points. Had no idea about his "other career."

amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing he lasted this long. Davis was in the first dinosaur all-star band that played the Nevada showroom circuit in the 90s. The drummer/singer from Rare Earth, someone from Iron Butterfly and a couple other lesser hasbeens were in it with him. a friend of mine (who happened to be portraying Charlie Daniels in Reno's first Legends show) said they rocked out and insisted i come with.

i've never liked the idea of old people rock&rolling, no matter how famous. just don't look nor feel right to me. and, if i was ever going to change my mind, this show made sure i didn't. Davis was loaded. that's OK - so was i. but this was the first time i ever saw a rocker who'd been aged to senility by his bad habits. i mean, i knew a guy - One-Shirt Eddie - who'd lived in the Nevada streets since the 60s selling coupons, workin slot teams & hustlin 47 other ways to keep himself in opiates and even he looked OK for 60. but Spencer's bandmates had to prop him at the mike, lurch thru songs at his pace, cover for his memory lapses just because he was the only one whose name everybody knew. truly, truly pitiful. God bless him for making it thru another 25 years. RIP -

Users who are viewing this thread