What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon. (5 Viewers)

New Arcade Fire album was that bad eh? ;)
Just saw this, lol.  I hate to say but it's horrific imo.  It's so bad I already forgot about it. The day after it came out, based on the silly marketing campaign, I really thought it was a troll job fake record. I figured they were gonna drop the real one a day or two later.  Nope.  It's bad.

The good news is the E.P. is finally on the streaming services.  It's their third or fourth best imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole album has kept dropping down my list as the year went on, but this song has been one of my favorites since the start of the year when it came out.  

Round 10:

Cherry Glazerr - Told You I'd Be with the Guys

LINK

I was a lone wolf
I thought I lost my pack
Where are my ladies?
Nobody has my back
hah- was coming in to take this exact song!

I agree about it slipping down- first listen I was all in, and then have kinda forgotten about it a bit. still a great tune.

Rd 12 Don't Kill My Vibe by Sigrid

You think you're so important to me, don't you?
But I wanted you to know that you don't belong here
You think you're so important to me, don't you?
Don't kill my vibe
you win the night.

I hadn't heard of her, got this one playing and thought- nice! I cut it out before the end to hear the next song in the thread and 6yo floppinha yells- hey! I liked that, put it back on.

felt like having a slow-building epic in my list. one of the crazier speak-and-spell sounding intros (outside of kraftwerk) considering where it goes- but I dug it the first time I heard it and keep digging.

12.... negative space- hookworms

Round 12: Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings - Matter of Time

RIP. Video includes some shots of Sharon with the late Charles Bradley.
RIP to Sharon and Charles. Two of the last great old school soul stars.
so great. really sorry I didn't get to see them play live... my eldest took his first drum and music lessons at 3rd St Music Settlement here in the neighborhood- amazing place. one of the teachers there was a great older lady whose son played some horn or another with the dap-kings... I think it was the only job he'd ever had. but it felt like they were always around 3rd St in some form or another.

Round 11 - Jon Pardi (USA/CA) - Dirt In My Boots

Have liked this one all summer and he put on a great show as an opener at the local shed this past summer.  Yup, call me a Pardi animal.

Round 12 - Foo Fighters (USA/CA) - Arrows

Had high hopes for the latest FF disc, but this really is the only track that stuck on my rock playlist this year from them.

I have been debating not making either of these picks because both bands are represented already... but they have been on my list the whole time, and I have just been picking based on what kind of mood I am in each day so I am going play a bit of catch up and pick these anyway. 

Round 13 - White Reaper - Little Silver Cross

Round 14 - Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life
I've been sitting on a different WR song... which would make- what- the 5th pick from that album? 

I've been sitting on a different WR song... which would make- what- the 5th pick from that album? 
4th I think... which one?

And I think round 15 is the last one.  I have it narrowed down to 9 songs depending on what kind of mood I am in during my snowy commute to the office tomorrow morning - lol. 

4th I think... which one?

And I think round 15 is the last one.  I have it narrowed down to 9 songs depending on what kind of mood I am in during my snowy commute to the office tomorrow morning - lol. 
yeah... I've got about the same amount left- wide range from pop, hip-hop to my standard garage/postpunk depending on my non-snowy non-commute mood

eta: another day... my fave.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's with this IDLES thingy I keep hearing about?
but seriously...

1. IDLES

2. Priests

3. White Reaper (2 & 3 will likely flip a few times before the final vote)

4. LCD Soundsytem

this is about as happy as I can remember being with the top albums- been a really solid year. 

As long as it's crap on Floppo's favorites day, I tried and don't get the appeal of Priests.  There's definitely some talent there but they throw so many post-punk tropes on the fire that it's too much for me.

Round thirteen

Long Time - Blondie

This collaboration between Debbie Harry and Dev Hynes stays pretty close to Heart of Glass but I assume that was done intentionally.   I'm glad they're still alive and kicking.

Put the playlist on shuffle...quick impressions of the songs I choose to hear. No clue who took what. 

1. The Gold by Manchester Orchestra 

I have liked this band for awhile but this was my first time hearing this song. I really like it and would have considered drafted it myself if I had known about it. 

2. If This Is Love by GRMLN

Well that sure fun and catchy. 

3. Motion Sickness by Phoebe Bridgers 

Good music here. Just so well done. 

4. Shark Smile by Big Thief

I was feeling this. It is a really intimate song. 

5. Slide by Calvin Harris 

Empty my bank account?  "I might!" 

Round Two

Did You See - J Hus

In addition to the decline of Western civilization, 2017 was a weird year for me personally.  Mrs. Eephus' torn Achilles set the tone for the back half of the year.  I'll blame her immobility for me smoking weed and listening to music on the couch more than normal.  Consequently, I'll probably end up drafting a bunch of songs like this with woozy mid-tempo beats.

His accent and autotune make the lyrics impenetrable to me other than he switched cars or something.  But it's got a cool, minimal rhythmic hook that snagged me.
Teddy Bridgewater side project. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread