What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2018 Dallas Cowboys*** (2 Viewers)

Maliek Collins begins camp on PUP list.
David Irving not expected in Oxnard at all for training camp (suspended first 4 games of regular season).  Excused absence.
Rookie Cedrick Wilson suffers torn labrum.
Noah Brown sat out both padded practices with a hamstring.
Chaz Green dealing with leg cramps early in the week limped off on Sunday.
Dalton Shultz left camp for the birth of his baby.

--------------------
Randy Gregory present, doesn't take part of conditioning on Thursday, but is 242 lbs of pure muscle whose first step and uncanny bending ability has been the talk of camp since then.  Think owning the circle drill.

The highlight of the padded practices is no surprise:  The offensive line is dominating.  Get it! The rookie is playing very well using his quick feet and getting in position to quell any concerns about power.  Conner Williams stoning people in team pass drills, stoning people in one-on-one pass rush drills.  Hot Take: Nate Newton said that they are already better as compared to ANY point last year.  The second day of padded practice resulted in the first camp scuffle after La'el threw Taco to the ground.  And, this is what it looks like when Tyron Smith plays healthy.

Conner Williams obviously getting first team reps.

Dorance Armstrong is working with second team DL.

Leighton Vander Esch is working with the second team at Mike while Jaylon Smith (now brace-less) is working with the first team plus nickle formation, plus blitz packages. Leighton is showing his scary fast speed and Jaylon looks healthy and back to Notre Dame form.

Demarcus Lawrence starting off right where he left off as he plays another year with something to prove under the franchise tag.  It's going to pose a nightmare for other teams if/when Gregory is paired up on the opposite end of of the line with Lawrence.

Byron Jones now a corner-back under Kris Richard's scheme logs the first interception of camp.  The defensive backfield full of energy under the new coaching.  

After missing his very first kick (and struggling last year after injury) Dan Bailey was 11/12 after Saturday's practice with a long of 50.

Camp punt returners: Austin, Beasley, Lenoir and Trey Williams.

And finally what everyone wants to talk about: WR  Cole Beasley is lining up all over the field, running routes all over the place, not just in the slot.  Beasley is lining up outside and running deep routes while Herns is getting his fair share of playing in the slot.  Michael Gallup is impressing with both his speed and his size.  Gallup was a standout on Saturday and then had multiple drops on Sunday and was quoted on having to work on his consistency.  Tavon Austin is wicked fast and has been lining up on the outside sometimes at the same time as Beasly.  Terrance Williams is still being held out, running hard on the sidelines.

I heard a report today on YouTube that Jaylon Smith is at the Mike & LVE is at the Sam. That's interesting because I assumed it would be the other way around.

It seems they believe LVE can make a bigger impact at Sam in their particular defense. I believe he's a natural Mike, but with Sean Lee at Will, I can see their reasoning.

Football Jones said:
I heard a report today on YouTube that Jaylon Smith is at the Mike & LVE is at the Sam. That's interesting because I assumed it would be the other way around.

It seems they believe LVE can make a bigger impact at Sam in their particular defense. I believe he's a natural Mike, but with Sean Lee at Will, I can see their reasoning.
I think they plan on keeping those two rotating in all the positions with Damien Wilson and Joe Thomas because they don't want either of them to have to play the majority of the snaps like Jaylon was forced to last year.  And also hedge against a Sean Lee injury.  By next year if everyone is healthy, and Damian possibly gone, you will see just that: Lee-Esch-Smith.  Potentially the best LB core in football.

One thing is starting to become clear, Jaylon is going to be used a lot in blitz packages, so look out.

Cedric Wilson OUT for season

Randy Gregory off NFI list, added to the roster and able to practice

Terrance Williams back practicing after foot surgery

Monday – Day off

Tuesday – Defense WINS the practice as the defensive backs are playing very well as Kris Richard is the most vocal presence in camp.  His guys were playing lots of zone and keeping everything in front of them batting away balls.  Chidobe Awuzie is solidifying his starting position with several batted balls, two in a row to end a drive by the offense.  Byron Jones continues to shine as our cornerback position is looking very strong.

Jaylon Smith is mobile, active and disruptive.  It appears he is seeing things better and was used on lots and lots of LB blitz packages during this practice.  Vander Esch gets a good strip for a turnover stopping the offense.  He’s getting more first team reps as the first rounder is starting to look like he's heading for a starting position.

Wednesday – Offense gets a little bit of revenge as the wide outs shine.  Gallup gets first team reps as Hurns rests stiff legs and he make his case for a starting position – consecutive catches and two very athletic acrobatic catches.  Terrance William back at practice making nice catches.  GO AGAIN!  4 times in a row Tavon Austin was told to run the go route against Byron Jones, Byron knocking it away the first two before Tavon got the best of him.  Deonte Thompson making plays.   EVERYONE wants to say how bad the Cowboys receivers are after losing Dez, well, Noah Brown made the team last year and he’s on the bubble right now unless they keep 7.

D-LAW(2nd dummy!)  Can I just guarantee double digit sacks right now barring injury?  Not getting a whole lot of reps but pass rush drills Wednsday a) beats Tyron off the edge for a sack, b) lost the first rep against Connor before breaking him down badly on the second, c) got pressure off Travis with a spin move, d) passed on Zack (who can blame him) and then e) beats La’el with another spin move before La’el sat down on him on the second rep.  Gregory standing there…must be salivating.

I honestly don’t think any of them are unless they feature Rico in the red zone. They are going to be so focused on the run and the ball will be spread out so much that I think it wil be hard to get consistent production out of anyone not named Dak, Zeke or Bailey. 
any truth to the rumors that Rico may not even make the team? i heard today he has put on like 20 pounds and has looked pretty horrendous at camp

any truth to the rumors that Rico may not even make the team? i heard today he has put on like 20 pounds and has looked pretty horrendous at camp
He did bulk up to help with his blocking. He is 6'7" and 285 lbs, he's going to move like a battleship. He is still making impressive catches downfield. 

The knock on him is trust. The Cowboys also ask from their TEs. They need to be able to run/catch/block and more importantly, be trusted to know when to either run, catch or block depending on the play called and or the defensive scheme. Rico just hasn't played enough football in his life for any of it to be natural to him. 

Ive actually heard his named mentioned quite a bit in the podcasts lately and its all been quasi positive. The local media guys all seem to think Rico is on the bubble and think he will either be on the Cowboys roster or on another teams roster as he won't be safe on the practice quad. 

As far as the rest of the guys, it seems to me like Blake Jarwin has the edge to start but he had the football stripped the other day. I don't think Shultz will start. 

I believe Rico makes the team but that's because I think they'd be morons to let him go. Doesn't mean they aren't morons. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kavon Frazier blood test cleared and practiced Thursday.

Chidobe Awuzie shines at Thursday's practice, again.  Might have to wait until he faces better receivers than we have to see just how good he is.

Terrance Williams consistently making catches downfield for the second practice in a row.

Dak has really good practice for the second day in a row, throwing accurately both from the pocket and on the run.

Line drills Zack Martin handles Jihad Ward.  Datone Jones bests Frederick twice.  Armstrong gets the better of Collins.  Man we have a lot of DE showing up.

Bailey misses two kicks yesterday.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
He did bulk up to help with his blocking. He is 6'7" and 285 lbs, he's going to move like a battleship. He is still making impressive catches downfield. 

The knock on him is trust. The Cowboys also ask from their TEs. They need to be able to run/catch/block and more importantly, be trusted to know when to either run, catch or block depending on the play called and or the defensive scheme. Rico just hasn't played enough football in his life for any of it to be natural to him. 

Ive actually heard his named mentioned quite a bit in the podcasts lately and its all been quasi positive. The local media guys all seem to think Rico is on the bubble and think he will either be on the Cowboys roster or on another teams roster as he won't be safe on the practice quad. 

As far as the rest of the guys, it seems to me like Blake Jarwin has the edge to start but he had the football stripped the other day. I don't think Shultz will start. 

I believe Rico makes the team but that's because I think they'd be morons to let him go. Doesn't mean they aren't morons. 
I agree. People with Rico's size & athletic ability don't grow on trees. It's a rare combination. Even if he's not ready to start, you keep developing him or somebody else will. I'd like to slap Garrett every time he says something about blocking.

Sure, blocking is important, but we probably have the best OL in the league with the Connor Williams addition. Enough with the blocking excuse BS. The vast majority of HCs & OCs would be finding ways to get Rico on the field now, just off his pass-catching ability. It's not rocket science.

To add to my previous post, we're not sure what they would've done with Rico last season. The over-emphasis on blocking this offseason could be just a way to improve a weakness, but either way, we could really use his pass-catching ability. I'm curious to see what we do with Rico.

I'd still put the Earl Thomas trade greater than 50% chance of happening too.  He's not going to budge.  And we know both teams were willing to deal during the draft.  It's just a matter of coming to terms.
I believe the line in the sand was a 2nd, but we passed on that deal to take Connor Williams (which I agree with).

Like you, I still think there's a good chance it happens.

I believe the line in the sand was a 2nd, but we passed on that deal to take Connor Williams (which I agree with).

Like you, I still think there's a good chance it happens.
A lot easier to give up next years 2nd without seeing Conner sitting there.  We might be holding out hoping the price drops.  We probably would like to negotiate a better contract too, but, we aren't allowed to talk directly to Earl without permission.

If our DBs come through, look out. We gonna have a D.

The front-7 looks dominate (on paper) & our secondary has potential. Awuzie could be the real deal & it looks like Kris Richard has had a huge impact on Byron Jones. If Awuzie & Jones turn out to be quality corners, we have the makings of an elite D.

A lot easier to give up next years 2nd without seeing Conner sitting there.  We might be holding out hoping the price drops.  We probably would like to negotiate a better contract too, but, we aren't allowed to talk directly to Earl without permission.
I'd sit tight & let them cave. We're going to have to give up something decent, but maybe do a conditional 2nd.

I think we gonna have a D, boys. 
Thank god we found Antwon Woods. Vander Esch looks lost though and Anthony Brown struggling with two bad plays.

Very happy with everything else. Starters are top notch including Conner Williams.  The funniest part is the WRs are going to be just fine. 

My 53. 

Offense 

Dak, Rush

Zeke, Smith, Scarborough

Olawale

Williams, Hurns, Beasley, Austin, Gallup, Lenoir, Thompson

Jarwin, Swaim, Gathers, Shultz 

Smith, Collins, Fleming

Martin, Williams, Mama(Would have been Martin but he got hurt)

Frederick, Looney, 

Defense

Lawrence, Gregory, Crawford, Charlton, Armstrong, Tapper

Collins, Woods,Jones, Price,

Lee, Vander Esch, Smith, Thomas, Wilson, March-Lillard   

Jones, Awuzie, Brown, Lewis, White, Thomas

Heath, Woods, Frazier,

Teams

Jones (P) Bailey (K) and LeDeucer (long snapper)

#Cowboys All-Pro C Travis Frederick has been diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome which is an auto immune disease, and considered to be rare. Doctors have not given him a timetable to return. 

This could be career ending. I've worked with people who have had this. No way to know if he'll completely recover. 

Man. My friend was diagnosed with Guillan Barre in high school. It basically paralyzed him for a short while. Took him a while to regain his motor skills, which he did 100%. Scary though.

#Cowboys All-Pro C Travis Frederick has been diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome which is an auto immune disease, and considered to be rare. Doctors have not given him a timetable to return. 

This could be career ending. I've worked with people who have had this. No way to know if he'll completely recover. 
Doubtful it is career ending since they caught it before paralysis. I would be stunned though if he didn’t miss at least half of the season.  *

*l’m not a doctor, but my father got this, and have seen the effects.  

D-Day said:
Doubtful it is career ending since they caught it before paralysis. I would be stunned though if he didn’t miss at least half of the season.  *

*l’m not a doctor, but my father got this, and have seen the effects.  
Impossible to predict. Catching early and getting the proper care is important.  Performing at the level of an elite athlete weighing over 300 pounds is no small feat.  Did it say if he was up walking around fine? 

Impossible to predict. Catching early and getting the proper care is important.  Performing at the level of an elite athlete weighing over 300 pounds is no small feat.  Did it say if he was up walking around fine? 
I would think if he hit the paralysis stage, they would have lead with that.  As soon as the nerve coatings regenerate, he should start to get his strength back.  It just depends on how much he loses. 

Guillain-Barre has a wide range of outcomes. The older you get it, the worse the prognosis. Also, & even more importantly, the severity of symptoms in the first 2 weeks is a big determining factor.

Given his age & what we know (or mostly assume) about his symptoms in the early stages, there's a very good chance for full recovery.

God speed, Travis.

Just want to mention it was critical for Frederick to get diagnosed so quickly. Good on him for getting a second opinion. When onset isn't acute, Guillain-Barre is often misdiagnosed or ignored & it can be months before somebody gets treatment.

I especially like Frederick's chances because of the quick diagnosis which gives the immunotherapy drugs a better chance to be effective.

He's on the sidelines tonight acting like a normal dude.  Hoping it's a speedy return to normal. 

Gregory got a sack against the first team LT and chipper.  This D Line is going to be awesome. 

Linebackers are stacked, CBs are really good, plus Kris Richard.  Seems like Earl Thomas would put us at elite defense status, thin at safety right now.  

Cardinals d is legit. They were playing for real and the Cowboys were running practice junk with. backups.

Looney looks in shape and I dont expect a catastrophic drop off at C like what happened last year at LT. 

We need one more backup lineman.

Defense is going to be dominant if they can figure out safety.

Please find a way to keep Rico even if that means cutting Shultz who can be put on the PS. 

I’d practice squad Mike White too but not sure he’d clear waivers. 

Mia Josh McCown still a FA? I would bring someone like him or Fitzpatrick (If he’s available and cheap) just as a veteran set of eyes for Dak.  Other than Jason Garrett, there isn’t another quarterback in the franchise who has seen more game time then Dak. It would be nice to have somebody that’s been in a lot of the situations to help navigate.

Defense will be the saving grace of this team if it has any chance of making a run at the playoffs. 

Backup QB is troublesome .... flashbacks of Weeden if Rush ever has to play. It's concerning how negligent of the backup position they have been. Dak for Romo was a homerun , but still pulled the trigger too early.

Mia Josh McCown still a FA? I would bring someone like him or Fitzpatrick (If he’s available and cheap) just as a veteran set of eyes for Dak.  
Seriously?

Both those guys project to be week 1 starters on their respective teams (Jets and Bucs), although Darnold may beat Josh out.

I don’t think there are any guys like them available at this point, much less on the cheap.

Seriously?

Both those guys project to be week 1 starters on their respective teams (Jets and Bucs), although Darnold may beat Josh out.

I don’t think there are any guys like them available at this point, much less on the cheap.
 I don’t pay attention to very many other teams these days. 

Mark Sanchez. He was there Daks rookie year and he can tell Dak everything not to do!

Defense will be the saving grace of this team if it has any chance of making a run at the playoffs. 

Backup QB is troublesome .... flashbacks of Weeden if Rush ever has to play. It's concerning how negligent of the backup position they have been. Dak for Romo was a homerun , but still pulled the trigger too early.
To be fair that's just about every team in the NFL, some with their starting QB.   Green Bay never does anything when Roger's is injured.  

Let's just put the horrible WR corp argument to rest already.  Nobody is willing to say that Dez/Lucky Whitehead/Bryce Butler/Vince Mayle group is any better than Hurns/Austin/Gallup/Thompson yet we went 13-3 with the former.  Beasley and Williams being the same.

The defense looks good, but the offense is pretty bad.....Mish-mash O line and an uninspiring group of skill position players....we'll see how Dak handles it.

Let's just put the horrible WR corp argument to rest already.  Nobody is willing to say that Dez/Lucky Whitehead/Bryce Butler/Vince Mayle group is any better than Hurns/Austin/Gallup/Thompson yet we went 13-3 with the former.  Beasley and Williams being the same.
We also had Witten and a much better O line.

We also had Witten and a much better O line.
On Witten:

I know I'll be in a minority here, but, Witten played 97% of the snaps last year and that limits the amounts and types of formations you can run.  Yeah, if it's third and 8 and you need a Y route to get you a first down you want him in there, but right or wrong, no one in the organization was going to drag him off the field for the other snaps.   He hasn't been able to break a tackle for years and his run blocking was really regressing last year.  I think a better blocking tight end will really help this team and I don't care if he can catch or not, he won't need more than one ball a game.
Much better OL without Collins?  Leary was great for depth, which we don't have right now.  But at face value, when healthy our starters have the potential to be better than 2016.  That's an easy case to make because Collins is better than Free.  All we need is for the rookie to be Ronald Leary.

On Witten:

Much better OL without Collins?  Leary was great for depth, which we don't have right now.  But at face value, when healthy our starters have the potential to be better than 2016.  That's an easy case to make because Collins is better than Free.  All we need is for the rookie to be Ronald Leary.
Well, from what ive seen so far our O line is beat up, and executing poorly....losing Fredbeard is obviously a huge bliw.....and Witten was a shadow of his former self for sure, but he's better than what we have right now.....some of that was his experience of knowing how to play the position....maybe a couple of these guys develop now that the Senator is gone, I dunno...

As it stands, the iggles D looks like they will smoke our O.

Well, from what ive seen so far our O line is beat up, and executing poorly....losing Fredbeard is obviously a huge bliw.....and Witten was a shadow of his former self for sure, but he's better than what we have right now.....some of that was his experience of knowing how to play the position....maybe a couple of these guys develop now that the Senator is gone, I dunno...

Who is beat up?  Besides the unknown with Frederick everyone else is slated to start week 1.  You're executing poorly comment makes no sense, they didn't play yesterday, and every time they've been on the field early in weeks 1 and 2 they dominated. 

And with the way Foles is playing, The Cowboys D looks like they could smoke the Eagles O. I predict the Eagles win 7-0 because Darren Sproles returns a punt for a touchdown in the 4th quarter. That's because I am an Eagles fan. If I were a Cowboys fan, I would predict the Cowboys win 7-0 as Lawrence returns a strip sack for a touchdown.

To be fair that's just about every team in the NFL, some with their starting QB.   Green Bay never does anything when Roger's is injured.  
Hundley is more serviceable than anything in Dallas.....  and let's not pretend we did not just watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl with Foles.

Teams DO address the backup QB situation, wayyyyy more than Dallas does. 

Hundley is more serviceable than anything in Dallas.....  and let's not pretend we did not just watch the Eagles win a Super Bowl with Foles.

Teams DO address the backup QB situation, wayyyyy more than Dallas does. 
What's your suggestion for them?  Let's not pretend Dak wasn't a back up for the previous Dallas QB.  You have no idea if Rush or White could win 13 games or not if thrown into the starting role.  They have probably about the same chance as Dak did, or Foles winning the superbowl, or any other backup around the league.  

You can complain about the backup QB if you want, but, the facts are that there aren't 32 starting caliber quarterbacks in the league, let alone 64.  Are you saying you want them to spend higher round draft pics on a back-up when Dak is 25 years old?  Should they have drafted Tony's replacement instead of Zeke?  Who is on the street right now you want them to sign over White?

I'm having a hard time trying to guess what you're wanting here.  Unless you're saying there is a quality guy on the street they could sign I have to assume you mean in the draft.  When they did have the #4 pick they would have had so sell the farm to trade up for Goff or Wentz.  And they wouldn't have Zeke.  Here are the other QBs drafted before Dak:

Lynch, Hackenberg, Brissett, Kessler, Cook.  Any of those guys excite you?

I think they addressed the QB position pretty well then.  And they did a similar thing this year with White, time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread