What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2018 Dallas Cowboys*** (1 Viewer)

Maybe we were watching two different games last night. The Texans were basically moving up and down the field on the Cowboys. Yes, the defense stiffened in the red zone, but I put that more on BOB's ineptitude and Deshaun Watson thinking he can still outrun defenders like college, than on Dallas' defense being that great. 

I was a little shocked that Lawrence only had one assist last night and was basically a non-factor.

Vander Esch and Smith are fast and definitely will be really good linebackers, I just don't think linebackers make as much difference in the passing age we live in. Cover Corners and Pass rushers are what defenses need these days.
I'm sure we watched the same game.

I don't get excited unless there's reason to be excited. We have the pass rushers (Irving is coming soon & he's a force inside) & Jones is turning into an All-Pro corner under Richard.

Maybe a player or two more on the back end & we're there. And I'm not just talking a good D, but a great one.

The offense needs some work, but receivers are one of the easier positions to fill in the NFL & we'll have plenty of cap space.

Should I trust your guarantee, or the 24 years since Jimmy Johnson was coach?
You can make a case for Clapper getting the benefit of the doubt this season (he was COY after all in 2016), but he won't be given the same consideration after this year.

And like I said, the Jones' aren't dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure we watched the same game.

I don't get excited unless there's reason to be excited. We have the pass rushers (Irving is coming soon & he's a force inside) & Jones is turning into an All-Pro corner under Richard.

Maybe a player or two more on the back end & we're there. And I'm not just talking a good D, but a great one.

The offense needs some work, but receivers are one of the easier positions to fill in the NFL & we'll have plenty of cap space.
Keep up the optimism, FJ!

Keep up the optimism, FJ!
Well, I have a long track record with my team. 

I don't know how long you've been with your Eagles, but I only get excited when there's reason to be excited.

I'll always root for my team, but as a long-time fan, you can see things coming. Sometimes you can see things coming with other teams (like the Rams).

I cautioned we could be a year away & that may or may not be the case, but my Cowboys are loaded.

We've simply got things in place other teams don't have (talent, youth, cap room, personnel guru, etc.).

Our biggest hinderance right now is coaching. Luckily, that can be fixed rather easily.

Well, I have a long track record with my team. 

I don't know how long you've been with your Eagles, but I only get excited when there's reason to be excited.

I'll always root for my team, but as a long-time fan, you can see things coming. Sometimes you can see things coming with other teams (like the Rams).

I cautioned we could be a year away & that may or may not be the case, but my Cowboys are loaded.

We've simply got things in place other teams don't have (talent, youth, cap room, personnel guru, etc.).

Our biggest hinderance right now is coaching. Luckily, that can be fixed rather easily.
You keep saying this, but NFL history, and even recent Cowboy history suggest otherwise. Of the six head coaches Jerry Jones has hired since he let go of Jimmy Johnson, only 2 have been good head coaches, Parcells and Phillips, and Phillips is actually better as a defensive coordinator than as a head coach. Parcells was already a proven great head coach, but there are not a lot of those sitting out there right now. Based on recent history, the Cowboys are twice as likely to hire a Switzer, Gailey, Campo or Garrett than they are to hire a Parcells or Phillips. So assuming the Cowboys will hire a great head coach after Garrett is hardly guaranteed.

You keep saying this, but NFL history, and even recent Cowboy history suggest otherwise. Of the six head coaches Jerry Jones has hired since he let go of Jimmy Johnson, only 2 have been good head coaches, Parcells and Phillips, and Phillips is actually better as a defensive coordinator than as a head coach. Parcells was already a proven great head coach, but there are not a lot of those sitting out there right now. Based on recent history, the Cowboys are twice as likely to hire a Switzer, Gailey, Campo or Garrett than they are to hire a Parcells or Phillips. So assuming the Cowboys will hire a great head coach after Garrett is hardly guaranteed.
I think you’re forgetting the amount of young talent we’ve got.

Jones & Co., by any definition, have put together a young & talented team. HC is the missing piece & I’m quite confident they can find a guy MUCH better than Garrett. Like I said, he doesn’t have to be a genius.

Also, you’re discounting how difficult it is to acquire the kind of talent it takes to get to be a top team. If anybody should know that, it’s Philly fans & how long it took you guys to win a Super Bowl (that’s not meant to be a barb, just a fact).

All that essentially matters now is we DO have the pieces to go all the way with a little tweaking. One of those tweaks is a new HC. Fortunately, that’s a rather easy fix. We don’t need to draft one or use cap room.

Like I said, the Jones’ aint dumb.

BTW, Switzer won a Super Bowl.

I go back to my point it doesn’t take a great HC, just one with some common sense.

I think you’re forgetting the amount of young talent we’ve got.

Jones & Co., by any definition, have put together a young & talented team. HC is the missing piece & I’m quite confident they can find a guy MUCH better than Garrett. Like I said, he doesn’t have to be a genius.

Also, you’re discounting how difficult it is to acquire the kind of talent it takes to get to be a top team. If anybody should know that, it’s Philly fans & how long it took you guys to win a Super Bowl (that’s not meant to be a barb, just a fact).

All that essentially matters now is we DO have the pieces to go all the way with a little tweaking. One of those tweaks is a new HC. Fortunately, that’s a rather easy fix. We don’t need to draft one or use cap room.

Like I said, the Jones’ aint dumb.
The team the Cowboys played last night is a perfect example of a team full of talent being messed up by their head coach. If Bill O'Brien could call decent plays in the red zone, that game would not been close. As it was, the Cowboys had a great chance to steal a game they didn't deserve to win.

So talent is great to have, but bad coaching can mess that up. The Cowboys are far from guaranteed to hire a good coach is my only point.

The team the Cowboys played last night is a perfect example of a team full of talent being messed up by their head coach. If Bill O'Brien could call decent plays in the red zone, that game would not been close. As it was, the Cowboys had a great chance to steal a game they didn't deserve to win.

So talent is great to have, but bad coaching can mess that up. The Cowboys are far from guaranteed to hire a good coach is my only point.
I don’t think you’re giving our D enough credit, but you’re right in that O’Brien rivals Clapper.

BTW, Switzer won a Super Bowl.

I go back to my point it doesn’t take a great HC, just one with some common sense.
Switzer won because the Cowboys still had Johnson's Super Bowl Nucleus still in place, and the Cowboys signed Deon Sanders after the 1994 season. Switzer did not win a Super Bowl because of his coaching. He may as well have been a coat rack on the sidelines.

Giving Switzer credit for the 1995 Super Bowl is like giving Trent Dilfer credit for the Ravens winning in 2001. Yeah, they have the rings to prove they were on the team, but their contributions were minimal.

Switzer won because the Cowboys still had Johnson's Super Bowl Nucleus still in place, and the Cowboys signed Deon Sanders after the 1994 season. Switzer did not win a Super Bowl because of his coaching. He may as well have been a coat rack on the sidelines.

Giving Switzer credit for the 1995 Super Bowl is like giving Trent Dilfer credit for the Ravens winning in 2001. Yeah, they have the rings to prove they were on the team, but their contributions were minimal.
You’re emphasizing my point.

It doesn’t matter who the talent was developed under, the HC just has to be competent.

Plus, we still have Will McClay. A better HC is just icing on the cake.

You’re emphasising my point.

It doesn’t matter who the talent was developed under, the HC just has to be conpetent.

Plus, we still have Will McClay. A better HC is just icing on the cake.
Well it also helps to have a HOF QB, RB, and WR, a great offensive line, lots of talent on defense, and a HOF cover corner. You may think the Cowboys now have lots of talent, but they are not what the 1995 Cowboys were.

Well it also helps to have a HOF QB, RB, and WR, a great offensive line, lots of talent on defense, and a HOF cover corner. You may thing the Cowboys now have lots of talent, but they are not what the 1995 Cowboys were.
Key point is no cap back when Jimmy assembled most of the talent. It was pretty much just hoard talent.

Like I’ve always said, the salary cap is the elephant in the room. The cap essentially disperses talent much better compared to before 1995.

The amount of young talent the Cowboys have now will be very difficult for teams to deal with in the upcoming seasons, especially with a quality HC.

Houston does not have a great offense. They have some talented skill position players, but they have a terrible offensive line and mediocre running backs.
The Texans can put up points & it was on the road.

Our D played very well by any standard.

You might be a little biased, LOL.

Key point is no cap back when Jimmy assembled most of the talent. It was pretty much just hoard talent.

Like I’ve always said, the salary cap is the elephant in the room. The cap essentially disperses talent much better compared to before 1995.

The amount of young talent the Cowboys have now will be very difficult for teams to deal with in the upcoming seasons, especially with a quality HC.
You don't have a quality HC yet, which is the point I am trying to make! It is not a fait accompli that you will get one. 

Stop using talent and cap space to try to make your point that the Cowboys will get a good head coach. One has nothing to do with the other.

You don't have a quality HC yet, which is the point I am trying to make! It is not a fait accompli that you will get one. 

Stop using talent and cap space to try to make your point that the Cowboys will get a good head coach. One has nothing to do with the other.
Well, put it this way...if I were you, I wouldn’t count on us NOT finding a competent HC.

;)

Yes, I am the only one who is biased in this discussion. Give me a break. We are both biased. That is why you argue the merits of your case.

And biased or not, I will give the Cowboys credit when they earn it. Like I said, the only reason the Texans didn't put 30 points on the board is Bill O'Brien can't coach his way out of a paper bag in the red zone, and Deshaun Watson doesn't realize that linebackers can run him down in the NFL.

Well, put it this way...if I were you, I wouldn’t count on us NOT finding a competent HC.

;)
I am not counting on anything! I am predicting what is likely to happen based on Jerry Jone's history as owner of the Cowboys. He made one great hire of a head coach and ended up firing him because he was getting too much credit for the Cowboys winning. Since then he has failed more often than he has been successful at hiring good head coaches. That may not be what you want to hear, but those are facts. Now if you tell me that Jerry Jone's is stepping back and having no input into the next coach of the Cowboys, then I will be more likely to believe they will make a better hire than they have been making. But I don't think that happens until Jerry is six feet under.

Yes, I am the only one who is biased in this discussion. Give me a break. We are both biased. That is why you argue the merits of your case.

And biased or not, I will give the Cowboys credit when they earn it. Like I said, the only reason the Texans didn't put 30 points on the board is Bill O'Brien can't coach his way out of a paper bag in the red zone, and Deshaun Watson doesn't realize that linebackers can run him down in the NFL.
Well, let’s not assume they would’ve scored with another formation or play call. That said, I do agree their chances would’ve been better, but we’re on the verge of having a REALLY good D & we were missing Irving not to mention Lee.

Good debate. At least we’re civil. I’ve noticed lately how Cowboys & Eagles fans have pretty much agreed to a truce for the most part.

I am not counting on anything! I am predicting what is likely to happen based on Jerry Jone's history as owner of the Cowboys. He made one great hire of a head coach and ended up firing him because he was getting too much credit for the Cowboys winning. Since then he has failed more often than he has been successful at hiring good head coaches. That may not be what you want to hear, but those are facts. Now if you tell me that Jerry Jone's is stepping back and having no input into the next coach of the Cowboys, then I will be more likely to believe they will make a better hire than they have been making. But I don't think that happens until Jerry is six feet under.
Yeah, Jerry is just the owner now. Stephen essentially runs the show.

Stephen’s reign started when he talked his dad out of taking Manziel for Zack Martin.

Houston does not have a great offense. They have some talented skill position players, but they have a terrible offensive line and mediocre running backs.
Ya I wouldn't say Houston has a great offense.  They've put up under 22 points in 4 of their 5 games.  Heck even the Giants held them to 22 in Houston.  They were a couple better play calls away from putting up an extra 10 too.  Dallas' goalline Defense was incredibly good (or Houstons goalline offense was incredibly poor).  Whenever a team can't move the ball, or score, etc., there's always that debate of "was that great defense or awful offense".  It's a hard question to answer.

Maybe we were watching two different games last night. The Texans were basically moving up and down the field on the Cowboys. Yes, the defense stiffened in the red zone, but I put that more on BOB's ineptitude and Deshaun Watson thinking he can still outrun defenders like college, than on Dallas' defense being that great. 

I was a little shocked that Lawrence only had one assist last night and was basically a non-factor.

Vander Esch and Smith are fast and definitely will be really good linebackers, I just don't think linebackers make as much difference in the passing age we live in. Cover Corners and Pass rushers are what defenses need these days.
And you don't think Lawrence is a pass rushing difference maker in this league?? Wow 

irving is going to open up things more for DLaw, as well. Irving is a difference-maker. Taco is coming on, too.

Dallas has a young & dynamic DL (& front 7 for that matter).

We're also starting to develop talent on the back end. Kris Richard has been a God-send for Byron Jones, who's playing at an All-Pro level after moving from safety to corner.

You were stealing al my likes until this one. Jerry isn’t the guy in charge anymore. He’s basically just a figurehead/team spokesman. 

You were stealing al my likes until this one. Jerry isn’t the guy in charge anymore. He’s basically just a figurehead/team spokesman. 
I think you are right in most stuff, but he still owns the team and still signs the checks. I will believe he has no input into the head coach hire when he actually has no input into the head coach hire.

And you don't think Lawrence is a pass rushing difference maker in this league?? Wow 
No, he is. re-reading that I realize I minimized his importance on the Cowboys defense. Perhaps it was because I was still in shock that the Texans o-line (which is horrendous) held him in check last night.

Lawrence is for sure a stud pass rusher.

@Bankerguy

Not calling you out because I get it, but this team is going to get there.

I don't get excited unless there's reason to get excited. Per my post above, I'm getting the same feeling I got the year before we started winning in the 90s.

We don't have the HC, but we've got the talent, & what we ARE missing, can be easily remedied given our cap room. 

I know you're not a Dak guy, but we're not even giving him a chance with these receivers. That said, we don't have many needs & we could go get a QB in the draft. That's an option.

The Jones' didn't get where they are because they're dumb. I guarantee you the coaching thing gets fixed.

Keep your head up, my friend.
You can call me out all you like...but I’m not going to drink the sand.

My head is high, because I have zero expectations and am not emotionally invested this year.  Call it self preservation.

My head is high, because I have zero expectations and am not emotionally invested this year.  Call it self preservation.
I specifically said I wasn't calling you out. I simply noticed your posts have been rather pessimistic lately.

"Keep your head up" was a figure of speech. By all means, do whatever you need to do to remain sane, LOL.

I'm really excited about our future (not necessarily THIS season), but by the same token, I do understand your frustration.

Yeah you haven’t been around much. Miss you in here but I hear ya. 

I wish I could stay away but I get sucked in every week. Between he new safety rules and more of the same from Garrett and Linahan I’m getting closer and closer to where you’re at. 

Really proud of Dak & the OL, especially Looney filling in for Fred as well as rookie Connor Williams.

Our D Is looking Doomsdayish.
i only watched mostly the 1st half, but your DL seemed to be the one's controlling that game. Granted, Jax just signed Eric Flowers so their OL may not be the best, but a dominating DL is a good way to have a strong defense for some time. 

Cowboys learned from how teams beat them (Cam, Russ, Watson) and finally got Dak running and moving in the pocket. He is a good football player , have to allow him to be that. He's not a good QB throwing the football. Call plays to his strength , not force him to be something he is not. They did that yesterday and it caught Jax off guard and Dak made the correct read most times. 

I'm confident the defense will handle any non-mobile QB ..3 wins over  Bortles , Eli, Stafford. Even in the loses to mobile QBs , the offense did the defense no favors in how they were ineffective and putting them in tough situations.

Good news! My daughter and I will be attending the game Sunday. 

Bad news! My first born is now old enough to witness the horrors of humanity at an (especially putrid) NFL stadium.

Anyone else going? 

I don't know if we can keep this momentum rolling, but last week showed the kind of upside this team has.

We're young & talented & will have the cap room to fix weaknesses. And Will McClay keeps the talent coming.

Like I said, not sure how this season will shake out, especially with the coaching, but opposing teams better bring their lunch next season & pack extra cuz you're going to be in a battle.

The gift of Garrett continues...

1rst n 10 on the 37. A timeout in your pocket. 52 seconds left.

Run 2 plays and smoke the upright.

Put your hand up if you’ve seen this movie before. Playing conservative again.

Users who are viewing this thread