What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter (2 Viewers)

Enid is a name? 
Yep

Enid (/ˈiːnɪd/ EE-nid; Welsh pronunciation: [ˈɛnɨ̞d]) is a feminine given name. The origin is Middle Welsh eneit, meaning "spirit, life" (from Proto-Celtic *ana-ti̯o-, compare Gaulish anatia "souls" attested on the Larzac tablet, ultimately from the Proto-Indo-European root *h₂enh₁- "to breathe, blow"; cf.

Wikipedia › wiki › Enid_(given_na...

Enid (given name) - Wikipedia

Origin

Origin: Welsh. Meaning: Soul. #PlaceName. The name Enid means Soul and is of Welsh origin.

Well then I'm not sure how you've missed them.  Check the bingo parlors and shuffleboard tourneys.  :)  
lol

But seriously, even I knew Enid was a name. Never thought there'd be a song about her, but it is the Barkenaked Ladies after all. Probably about his polite girlfriend with a grandmother name or something. A Veronica hybrid, but cutesy. 

Sorry I couldn't take part in this one, y'all. Been a busy month and I was a bit drafted out after the mammoth album draft, but I'll try to power skim through the topic. :lmao:   :ph34r:

Good time to post, by the way, because the last shuffle on the DID Album Playlist was nice as hell, though I failed to keep a proper list.

:suds: Cheers, fellow scoundrels.
Back atcha, mang.  :suds:

There are a lot of old timey names in my family tree.  
same ...including Enid

my grandmas

Ida (went by FeFe ...apparently the first grandkid kept calling her that and it stuck)

Esther 
My stepmother's first name is Esther, but she goes by her middle name, Colleen.

But I think I have everyone here beat with my paternal grandmother, Vada Elvira.

Yeah, I was thinking Enid might be more of a Southern name, too, but I'm not sure.

It's kind of a pretty name, IMO.
I like it.  Some of the names in my tree are Pearl, Mildred, Clyde, Adelay, Leander, Ernest, Lily, Ida, Itasca, Hazel, Lou Ann, Bobby Lee, Zelda, Edison, Francis, Franklin, Harvey, Carl, Hoyle, Irene, Mayo, Grace, Minnie, Martha, etc.  My grandfather on my mom's side had lots of siblings, and most of them went by their nicknames. Some of those names were Bunt, Pud, Big Man, Boy, Buster, Tank, Monk, Nute, and Jack (real name was Finbar).

Yo Grammas are Marthene and Lucile
OK, Marthene is a name I've never heard!

I like it.  Some of the names in my tree are Pearl, Mildred, Clyde, Adelay, Leander, Ernest, Lily, Ida, Itasca, Hazel, Lou Ann, Bobby Lee, Zelda, Edison, Francis, Franklin, Harvey, Carl, Hoyle, Irene, Mayo, Grace, Minnie, Martha, etc.  My grandfather on my mom's side had lots of siblings, and most of them went by their nicknames. Some of those names were Bunt, Pud, Big Man, Boy, Buster, Tank, Monk, Nute, and Jack (real name was Finbar).
Hazel is one of those used-to-be-old-fashioned names that has had a huge renaissance.  Maybe Enid will, too.  "Mayo" is one I've never heard.  :)

I LOVE "Jack (real name was Finbar)".  

On the nickname front, I have an Uncle Moose.  

My favorite "hillbilly name" experience was when my dad died, and we received flowers signed, "Skeet."   My stepmother said, "What's bad about this is we have two friends named 'Skeet' and I don't know which it is."  My dad was loved by everyone.  

My stepmother's first name is Esther, but she goes by her middle name, Colleen.

But I think I have everyone here beat with my paternal grandmother, Vada Elvira.
Vada ...so cool had no idea it was a woman's name as well 

one of my favorite Cincinnati Reds growing up was Vada Pinson -  :wub:

I also have a Wanda, if that tilts in my favor, though simey is going to be hard to beat here on sheer volume alone. Mildred, huh? I think that might take the cake.

Sorry I can't add much to this conversation, my family consists almost entirely of the stereotypical mid-Atlantic/New England white people names. I have a cousin named after Dylan Thomas, that's about as interesting as it gets. 

Oh, don't make me break out the full list.  I didn't even get to my Uncle Spud.  This isn't a competition.

(Or is it?)
Not the full list! With stories! Definitely not what we're looking for here. 

(No, it's not. Just trying to keep it going.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have a Wanda, if that tilts in my favor, though simey is going to be hard to beat here on sheer volume alone. Mildred, huh? I think that might take the cake.
Mildred was my maternal grandmother's sister. They also had a brother named Charles, and another sister who died as an infant named Gladys. I wish I had written down all the southern sayings Mildred (I called her Mildew when I was younger) would say. She was hilarious. 

Users who are viewing this thread