Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Return of the Desert Island Jukebox Draft - Drop in a quarter


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

45.03: Missing - Everything But The Girl (1994)

There's another one still left on the board that is likely more known, but I really like this one a lot better ...don't recall ever hearing it even though it got to #2 and stayed there quite a while.  Apparently these two are big in the UK.  

good song, but one where the remix is better imo.

cowbell game is strong in this version tho

edit: I see eephus covered this already

Edited by Buffaloes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44. still nerdy

N.E.R.D. - The Way She Dances

2004

Took 44 rounds, but I'm going to double up on an artist here. Slim pickins in years I probably didn't delve too deep into. I've always liked this song, though. The bridge is really good and Chad Hugo is surprisingly good on the geetar outro. This song comes on the juke and pretty decent chance I'm finding my wife for a dance.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I think it's a rerecording without some contested sample. 

oof. im listening to it now. it kinda sucks. reminds me of when Cracker had a dispute with their og record label so they re-recorded their greatest hits and sounded...flat.

 

I'm going to throw it back. I will have to circle back later.

Edited by Buffaloes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

oof. im listening to it now. it kinda sucks. reminds me of when Cracker had a dispute with their og record label so they re-recorded their greatest hits and sounded...flat.

 

I'm going to throw it back. I will have to circle back later.

Rerecordings are usually the kiss of death. 

The only rerecorded collections I liked were from Squeeze and Gang of Four but I'm sure I'm leaving some out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:
1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

44.xx Oh Sheila - Ready For The World - (1985)

 

I will take the B-Side for now, but not sure if it will make the mix

I'm The One Who Loves You (even more Prince like than Oh Sheila)

I'm probably missing something but why am I linked to coming to america? 

Just trying to see if anyone is actually clicking links... 

Randy Watson!!!

Here is Oh Sheila for your pleasure.

What's good for the goose

Is always good for the gander

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hov34 said:
34 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:
1 hour ago, Hov34 said:

44.xx Oh Sheila - Ready For The World - (1985)

 

I will take the B-Side for now, but not sure if it will make the mix

I'm The One Who Loves You (even more Prince like than Oh Sheila)

I'm probably missing something but why am I linked to coming to america? 

Just trying to see if anyone is actually clicking links... 

Randy Watson!!!

Here is Oh Sheila for your pleasure.

What's good for the goose

Is always good for the gander

@Ilov80s I think these guys were from Michigan

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:
32 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I think it's a rerecording without some contested sample. 

oof. im listening to it now. it kinda sucks. reminds me of when Cracker had a dispute with their og record label so they re-recorded their greatest hits and sounded...flat.

 

I'm going to throw it back. I will have to circle back later.

Was the contested song True by Spandau Ballet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45.ee - The Fever - Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes (1976)

I couldn't very well draft fifty Springsteen adjacent songs and leave Johnny in the green room  His career benefited from Springsteen's halo effect but the Jukes were a formidable live act in their day. 

All their best songs (including this one) were written by Miami Steve or Springsteen.  You know you're in tight with the Boss if he gives you a song as great as this.  Springsteen's original dates back to the Wild & Innocent sessions; it's slower and sparser than the way Southside Johnny did it.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Eephus said:

45.ee - The Fever - Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes (1976)

I couldn't very well draft fifty Springsteen adjacent songs and leave Johnny in the green room  His career benefited from Springsteen's halo effect but the Jukes were a formidable live act in their day. 

All their best songs (including this one) were written by Miami Steve or Springsteen.  You know you're in tight with the Boss if he gives you a song as great as this.  Springsteen's original dates back to the Wild & Innocent sessions; it's slower and sparser than the way Southside Johnny did it.

I'm kinda bummed I couldn't talk myself into Havin A Party as my 79 pick. Really wanted that free roll. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Hov34 said:

Not to spotlight or anything, but has a Color Me Badd song ever been taken in the history of FBG drafts?

Asking for a friend.

 

 

hey ...I'm not one to judge someone else's taste in music 

but that is gawd-awful.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxu3pq319r0

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

ran across this in my desperate 90s one-hit wonder search and liked it

looked them up ...whoa - quite a few hits

wasn't aware of them 

they had i think one album that did pretty well in 1992 (this single was 1991). I liked them back in the day. not sure what happened after that

Edited by Buffaloes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

House music's never really connected with me, so to say music was in a bad place in the late 90's is a major understatement. Rap fell off a cliff after Tupac and Biggie died. There's only so much R&B I can absorb at once. TRL was seemingly boy bands and nu metal with nothing in between. Those that led the grunge movement were either dead, dying, or in jail. And their post grunge replacements...woof. But I was also in my prime teenage years, when music begins to rise towards its peak. So something had to get through, right?

Round 46 The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Jump Jive An' Wail (1999)

And this is why I'm conflicted when it comes to the late 90's swing revival. Was it really good music? Or did I just need something new to listen to and call my own? But I guess no matter the answer, at least those in my generation will put a dime in to hear this one. What else were we to do!

Edited by MAC_32
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Beatles! (AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH)

As I said in krista's Beatles thread, this is the perfect pair to my ears.

Round 46: The Beatles -- I Feel Fine

Year: 1964

Album: non-album single (these days, Past Masters Vol. 1)

B-side: She's a Woman

The IFF video is ... A RINGO SHOWCASE! 

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

House music's never really connected with me, so to say music was in a bad place in the late 90's is a major understatement. Rap fell off a cliff after Tupac and Biggie died. There's only so much R&B I can absorb at once. TRL was seemingly boy bands and nu metal with nothing in between. Those that led the grunge movement were either dead, dying, or in jail. And their post grunge replacements...woof. But I was also in my prime teenage years, when music begins to rise towards its peak. So something had to get through, right?

Round 46 The Brian Setzer Orchestra - Jump Jive An' Wail (1999)

And this is why I'm conflicted when it comes to the late 90's swing revival. Was it really good music? Or did I just need something new to listen to and call my own? But I guess no matter the answer, at least those in my generation will put a dime in to hear this one. What else were we to do!

I spent the late '90s immersed in Phish because nothing else was worth my attention. 

To add insult to injury, Neil Young did not release any albums in 1997, 1998 or 1999, save contributing four songs (one of which was awful) to a mediocre CSNY album.

Edited by Pip's Invitation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...