What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (5 Viewers)

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 23         206.1                -20.0                                          1520
  • Jan 24         204.8                -21.3                                          1700
  • Jan 25         203.7                -22.4                                          1210
  • Jan 26         203.2                -22.9                                          1450
  • Jan 27         203.0                -23.1

here's some fun daily numbers... been a weird week!

1-19: 209.4
1-20: 209.0
1-21: 208.2
1-22: 207.6
1-23: 208.4
1-24: 208.8
1-25: 209.0
1-26: 205.6
1-27: 207.8

Weekend is always a little more iffy. Yesterday includes a little dehydration - late evening run and some time in the sauna before bed. Woke up with a headache and obvious need of fluids. Definitely passed the "easy weight" part at the first part of the month. To the "have to really make an effort" part to monitor intake and such. But overall relatively happy with progress. Slow and steady wins the race and all that.

here's some fun daily numbers... been a weird week!

1-19: 209.4
1-20: 209.0
1-21: 208.2
1-22: 207.6
1-23: 208.4
1-24: 208.8
1-25: 209.0
1-26: 205.6
1-27: 207.8

Weekend is always a little more iffy. Yesterday includes a little dehydration - late evening run and some time in the sauna before bed. Woke up with a headache and obvious need of fluids. Definitely passed the "easy weight" part at the first part of the month. To the "have to really make an effort" part to monitor intake and such. But overall relatively happy with progress. Slow and steady wins the race and all that.
I've had a few days like what you've mentioned.  When I have a big drop or gain (like you did on 1-26), I usually weigh myself 3 times to make sure the reading was correct (and they have been). It's hard to explain those weird fluctuations but as you know the long term trend is better to watch.  You are headed in the right direction! 

I'm wondering if I am starting to adapt to this IF lifestyle. It's been 16 hours since I ate anything and the only reason I am now is I'm about to go for a run. I feel like I could keep going without eating. Amazing how much water and black coffee staves off hunger pains.

rode my bike for about 40 minutes yesterday afternoon and had two turkey burgers for dinner basically it was a good day today so far i have had some honey nut cheerios and skim milk and walked for about 92 minutes in 10 degree temps i just couldnt take it for another 8 minutes what can i say im old and brittle i guess anyhow i will be back on the scale before dinner tonight and hopefully i will see some movement down take that to the bank bromigos 

I'm wondering if I am starting to adapt to this IF lifestyle. It's been 16 hours since I ate anything and the only reason I am now is I'm about to go for a run. I feel like I could keep going without eating. Amazing how much water and black coffee staves off hunger pains.
I'm realizing that I need to drink a lot more water during the day.  I've been doing a great job planning out meals and staying under my sodium goal (other than usually one cheat day where we get takeout).  I ate a very light (no sodium) breakfast today and just knocked off a piece of flounder and 3 chicken tenders and I'm still kind of hungry.  I don't drink coffee so I'm going to try just increasing my water consumption.  What exactly does water do to minimize the hunger pains?  Is it just a distraction?

Same here.  You get used to it so it's not as big of a push to make it, but then I'm thinking, I don't even feel any hunger pangs yet and I know I can deal with a few of those so I hold off a little further.  During the week I am between 18/6 and 20/4 depennding on when I cave and now I'm pulling 18/6 easily on the weekends.  Just need to figure out when to get my protein in.  Been breaking with a 30g bar, then another a couple hours later after my salad.  Finishing off with black beans, quinoa and avo

I'm realizing that I need to drink a lot more water during the day.  I've been doing a great job planning out meals and staying under my sodium goal (other than usually one cheat day where we get takeout).  I ate a very light (no sodium) breakfast today and just knocked off a piece of flounder and 3 chicken tenders and I'm still kind of hungry.  I don't drink coffee so I'm going to try just increasing my water consumption.  What exactly does water do to minimize the hunger pains?  Is it just a distraction?
#1 is the answer to your question, but I think the whole list is useful.

Two comments.

1 - It doesn't really matter how you weigh, as long as it's the same every time.  Personally I roll out of bed, take a leak, and jump on the scale.  I prefer weighing in in the buff because I know it's true.

2 - I don't do weight goals.  I have no real idea how my body is going to go so I just make sure I focus on taking the right steps.  If I set a "goal" of 180 by Christmas then what happens if I hit 185 October 1st?  Am I going to relax?  Plan a Halloween binge of a couple boxes of Twinkies because I know I have plenty of time to recover?  What good is that?  And what about if I do all the right things and I end up at 184?  Did I miss?  I don't want to take a bunch of great actions that result in a lot of great results but feel like I failed.  This isn't a sprint it's a marathon and if it takes me 6 more months to get to the "right" weight that's fine because I'm going to get another 30 years of that reward.  Just get there.

I know goals work for a lot of people, and I know all of the goal-setting mantras of balancing aggressive vs. realistic.  Goals (for me) end up being temporary (like "diets") but I view this as a permanent change in lifestyle. 

I have a lot of success turning important factors in my life into an economic model.  There's a decision, there's a reward for that decision, and there's a consequence to that decision.  That's it.  I can eat like a fat guy and love the delicious results but the consequence is I'll be a fat guy.  I have always been super secure with who I am so for years I was ok with what I looked like because I got to enjoy my eating so much - the delicious choices, the gluttonous quantities, the sugar binging.  Still do.  But now there's a different motivation.  I want to be not fat so I just redo the economic model - eat differently (and do fitness differently but that's just a subset of the decision), with the reward of being not fat, and the consequence is I just get less/less often foody goodness.  It's a little bizarre to watch my friends eat like pigs, know I used to join them, and not really feel like that's something I want to do any more.  I mean I know I'd love a double from Wendy's or their spicy chicken sandwich, but I know how far that will put me back and it's just not worth it.  One meal and that's 3 days worth of negative progress. 

I still eat almost all of the same things I used to (except fast food, that's almost zero), I have just drastically altered the pattern and quantities.  Biggest hugest most massive difference by a mile is the sugar intake - I've probably cut this by 90%.  It was a b s u r d how much sugar I consumed.  I haven't cut it all out because that's not very realistic and it's not rewarding enough.  I'll eat 1/2 a donut instead of 3 at breakfast.  I'll eat a apple as a snack instead of candy.  I'll have 3 Oreos after dinner instead of 20 (or more, how many are in a sleeve again?).  I could (try to) go to zero sugar but all that means is I'll lose .2 or .4 more pounds a couple times a week - not work how hard I would have to fight that, at least not yet.

The other big difference is I am mostly done eating by 6:00 PM.  This ends up being a passive intermittent fast and I can really burn calories off this way.  I might have an apple slice or two or maybe a few almonds but nothing that would break a fast.

31 days no alcohol, no going over calories. 66 days until Easter. 

I'm doing 2-3 days of cardio, then taking a rest day. Weights every other day.  Core/yoga most days. 

Yesterday was a rest day for all of the above except yoga, and ended up around 1600 total calories for the day. Today was a bit of everything - run and yoga and weights - and I had closer to 2000 calories worth of food. Split up my protein throughout the day and still got some fiber/fruits/vegetables... double egg egg sandwich, mixed berries and protein shake, chicken avocado and lettuce wrap, homemade chicken cordon bleu...  

Trying to make healthier versions of things I like so I don't get bored. Think I'll make beef stew tomorrow. 

31 days no alcohol, no going over calories. 66 days until Easter. 

I'm doing 2-3 days of cardio, then taking a rest day. Weights every other day.  Core/yoga most days. 

Yesterday was a rest day for all of the above except yoga, and ended up around 1600 total calories for the day. Today was a bit of everything - run and yoga and weights - and I had closer to 2000 calories worth of food. Split up my protein throughout the day and still got some fiber/fruits/vegetables... double egg egg sandwich, mixed berries and protein shake, chicken avocado and lettuce wrap, homemade chicken cordon bleu...  

Trying to make healthier versions of things I like so I don't get bored. Think I'll make beef stew tomorrow. 
I got winded reading your post.

Speaking of eggs, I've been coming up with some great combos lately (which dovetail nicely with frugality efforts) that I can throw together at lunch when I come to walk Cujo.

Monday: Two-egg omelette (heavy cream and butter were harmed) dunked in a bowl of "artisan" Costco chicken chili with a side of three applegate chicken breakfast sausages. ... about 850 calories, which is alright for my two meal a day effort. One can of chicken chili = 440 cals and surprisingly 52 grams of carbs (thanks, artisans).  Campari tomatoes and chile peppers were also harmed

Tuesday: New and improved.  Three agg omlette with three pieces of pre-cooked bacon wrapped inside, and three pieces of same chicken sausage. I gave myself a big pat on the back for this 600 calorie meal.

Wednesday:  #### it. Went Newk-ular and got a big-### salad to go.  Note to self - figure out how to make a sherry vinagrette (with healthy oils).  Love the stuff.

Should be getting first covid shot in the next week or two, and soon a second shot before returning to the gym.

Some of you have got to have spouses that add to the equation and I will simply share a story from last night. 

I was trying to do Morn/Eve, rotation of tennis and cycling plus some walks/runs added in. But primarily we wanted to go approx 45-60 in the morning, about the same int he evening, weather has been perfect around South Florida of late. 

Mon bang/bang, Tue bang/bang, Wed Bang/hold all tickets...it started when I mentioned I could play tennis again last night(Played Tue Night) or I could make it a "date night" with her and we could get a bite and then go for a bike ride/walk...she gets me to not go ahead and play tennis thinking we would exercise, instead she comes home and I certainly didn't mind the first part of the evening if you catch my drift and then I took her out for a quick bite and then we ended up in the grocery store buying treats(this was not food) we came home and guess what happens? That's right, we end up eating jelly babies and watching TV and two bikes sat there in the hallway all night. 

Who's fault was it we didn't find our way out to exercise? In 2021 my wife has gone for a walk once and maybe like a couple bike rides but seriously in less than 3 days I've outpaced her. And I'm not trying to be mean but I play a lot of tennis and I am gone for hours, you add in biking and walks and I'm gone a lot during the week. And she reminds me of it but if I hang out with her all the time...I hope you understand. I love her to death but we can't be on the same health plan, she's a woman I'm a man, simple as that but I see couples trying to eat and exercise together and the ones i see where both male and female are in pretty good shape, they don't seem to exercise simultaneously, different times of the day, different routines, etc...

Some of you might have to distance a bit from loved ones so you can create better moments and memories in the future. 

I would like to also defend my wife right now and say that she is under immense stress and pressure, it's impacting her entire spirit from the inside-out, her world at the hospital has been turned upside down, she has 6 weeks of vacation time built up and i've told her if she doesn't take 2 weeks minimum off soon that I will fill the paper work out for her, we need a break but she is ready for a psychiatrist.

Getting a little frustrated.  I've been very good for the most part. A couple days obviously but overall just sitting the same.

Grrrr

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Here's a sample day of my diet when I'm good and not cheating.  Helped me drop 30 pounds in the past few years.  Honestly, I've never tracked how many calories I'm actually intaking, etc but the results have been good and feels right.  Now lean at 165 and the six pack is tight: 

7am: Coffee with collagen protein and half serving Syntha 6 Edge protein

8am:  walk or run

9am: Smoothie: Amazing Grass Antioxidant green mix,  Sacred 7 mushroom powder,  half serving Isopure protein, mixed berries, 1/3 cup of Fage yogurt

10am:  2 eggs, 2 egg whites, peppers/onions, turkey bacon omelet 

12pm:  snack:  cashews/almonds or peanut butter with hemp seeds or protein bar

2-3pm:  Chicken cesar salad or lean turkey with brown rice + wheat grass shot

5pm:  gym/weights

6-7pm:  Smoothie - Isopure protein, strawberries, spinach and avocado 

8pm:  Meat protein + rice or black beans

Supplements:  Orange Triad multivitamin, Glutamine, Vit D3, Flax/Fish Oil

Here's a sample day of my diet when I'm good and not cheating.  Helped me drop 30 pounds in the past few years.  Honestly, I've never tracked how many calories I'm actually intaking, etc but the results have been good and feels right.  Now lean at 165 and the six pack is tight: 
Good stuff although I’m disappointed you didn’t link to your workout gear.

Jan 1   274.4

Jan 18  260.0    - 14.4 lbs, 1385 cal, lift, 60 min cardio

Jan 19  258.2    - 16.2 lbs, 1196 cal, lift, 20 min cardio

Jan 20  260.2   -  14.2 lbs,  592 cal, lift, 25 min cardio 

Jan 21  260.2   -  14.2 lbs, 1495 cal, don't remember

Jan 22  260.4   -  14.0 lb,  1592 cal, off

Jan 23  -  didn't weigh, lifted, no cal count because my phone is a "6" and occasionally MFP ####s the bed and I have to uninstall and re-install.  

Jan 24  - see above sans lifting.

Jan 25  260.2   - 14.2 lbs, 

Jan 26  260.0   - 14.4 lbs, 1496 cal, lift

Jan 27  260.0   - 14.4 lbs, busy day and blew off mfp but likely around 1500 cal, lift

Jan 28  258.2  - 16.2 lbs

So 10 days of decent work but running in quicksand here.  I was really hoping to keep up the 2 lb a week so I could try a stint at 2200 cal.  I will be traveling so this was the last weigh-in for the month.  16 lbs was the goal so I need to be lazar focused this weekend to start off Feb no higher than 258.4.  From there it's a reset and attacking another 8 pounds in February.

Trying to make a long story really short ... feel like a new dieter like me is "invading" this thread because I still don't yet feel committed to a real life change. But gotta start somewhere:

Short version - My wife and I are both in our late 40s, obese and both have high blood pressure. Little (but not no) physical activity. Been that way for years, not a recent thing. Last week, she had an edema scare in one of her legs. After seeing doctors, she put her foot down and has put us both on the DASH diet. That started this past Sunday 1/24 so right now we are just getting our feet wet.

Anyway ... has anyone in this thread (or one of the older threads?) started their healthy-weight journey from a weight above 300 lbs? I could be wrong, but intuitively it seems the considerations for dropping a quick 10-15 lbs are very different from attempting to shed 1/3 of one's bodyweight. Was wondering if anyone participating in this thread has been there.

Thanks for any knowledge or advice anyone can impart.

• Smile
Getting a little frustrated.  I've been very good for the most part. A couple days obviously but overall just sitting the same.

Grrrr
sometimes that just means your body is about to make a big weight loss so keep it up take that to the bank brohan 

Is it possible to lose 40 during that time?  Asking for a friend.
Intermittent Fasting is quickly taking over. It's been around but the body has some incredible healing things when it's not preoccupied digesting food. 
Down to brass tacks -- is intermittent fasting, at this moment, a thing mainstream doctors/dieticians would recommend to patients trying to go from profound obesity to 'normal'? How accepted in the medical community is intermittent fasting for major weight loss?

And really ... what all counts as 'intermittent fasting'? No solid food for one or more days? Solid food every day, but only during proscribed hours of the day (say, 10 am - 6 pm)? Both? Neither? Other things?

Trying to make a long story really short ... feel like a new dieter like me is "invading" this thread because I still don't yet feel committed to a real life change. But gotta start somewhere:

Short version - My wife and I are both in our late 40s, obese and both have high blood pressure. Little (but not no) physical activity. Been that way for years, not a recent thing. Last week, she had an edema scare in one of her legs. After seeing doctors, she put her foot down and has put us both on the DASH diet. That started this past Sunday 1/24 so right now we are just getting our feet wet.

Anyway ... has anyone in this thread (or one of the older threads?) started their healthy-weight journey from a weight above 300 lbs? I could be wrong, but intuitively it seems the considerations for dropping a quick 10-15 lbs are very different from attempting to shed 1/3 of one's bodyweight. Was wondering if anyone participating in this thread has been there.

Thanks for any knowledge or advice anyone can impart.
Mindest bro.  You need to get away from "temporary" and "diet" and into "new life".  If you're not there yet, just think "new next 2 months" to get going downhill.  It gets way easier.

I've dropped 22% of my prior body weight since July.  Max 9 pounds per month but it adds up over the long haul.  9.2, 8.8, 4.4, 8.0, 3.0, and 4.0 pounds lost are my 30 day marks (after the first week which was insane and unsustainable).

Down to brass tacks -- is intermittent fasting, at this moment, a thing mainstream doctors/dieticians would recommend to patients trying to go from profound obesity to 'normal'? How accepted in the medical community is intermittent fasting for major weight loss?

And really ... what all counts as 'intermittent fasting'? No solid food for one or more days? Solid food every day, but only during proscribed hours of the day (say, 10 am - 6 pm)? Both? Neither? Other things?
This term always cracks me up.  You know what they call the first meal of the day right?  And why?  Because back in the day people used to fast from sundown to sunup.  All we've done is attach a snazzy title to it.  Food is so available and prevalent in our society today this concept has all but disappeared except for those dark recesses of the health freak zone.

• Smile
I've dropped 22% of my prior body weight since July.  Max 9 pounds per month but it adds up over the long haul.  9.2, 8.8, 4.4, 8.0, 3.0, and 4.0 pounds lost are my 30 day marks (after the first week which was insane and unsustainable).
Strangely (or maybe not) we don't have a scale in the house. Is embarking on a healthy eating plan without a scale sorta pointless? Or is going by 'feel', clothes fit, energy levels, etc. OK? At least for my wife, beating back high-blood pressure and further bouts of edema are much more the goal than looking skinny (though she wants to be lighter for sure). Same for me -- I'd like to fit into clothes more easily again, but I don't care about looking 25 again.

You've got a point about "mindset". Controlling high blood pressure (through diet) is a goal, I would think. But otherwise, our aims seem muddled.

• Smile
This term [intermittent fasting] always cracks me up.
Gotcha. Just reading through the Phil Mickelson Fast thread ... and people are using "intermittent fasting" to mean different things. Sometimes multi-day no-food fasts ... sometimes a 16-hours-per-day-without-food fast.

Strangely (or maybe not) we don't have a scale in the house. Is embarking on a healthy eating plan without a scale sorta pointless? Or is going by 'feel', clothes fit, energy levels, etc. OK? At least for my wife, beating back high-blood pressure and further bouts of edema are much more the goal than looking skinny (though she wants to be lighter for sure). Same for me -- I'd like to fit into clothes more easily again, but I don't care about looking 25 again.

You've got a point about "mindset". Controlling high blood pressure (through diet) is a goal, I would think. But otherwise, our aims seem muddled.
Nothing is pointless but it might be more difficult if you can't see the progress.  Just depends on how you self-motivate.  It'll take quite some time before you "feel" any differently I think - it did for me.  Probably 4 weeks before I noticed clothes, another two weeks before the guy in the mirror looked different.  I bought my first new jeans at 3 months.  But hopping on a scale every day and seeing this:

is mind-blowing.

I have (had?) hypertension and am (was?) on two different meds for it.  I have an appt at the end of Feb and I expect she'll take me off both.  I've skipped my meds for a day or so just to see and my BP seems to hold at 115-120/70.

If your wife is on meds that might be contributing to the edema - I was originally on 10mg Amoldopine and had immediate significant edema in my feet and the doc changed me up pretty quickly and haven't had an issue since.

Gotcha. Just reading through the Phil Mickelson Fast thread ... and people are using "intermittent fasting" to mean different things. Sometimes multi-day no-food fasts ... sometimes a 16-hours-per-day-without-food fast.
That's the part that cracks me up, it's mostly just a buzzword with no real definition.

I have (had?) hypertension and am (was?) on two different meds for it.  I have an appt at the end of Feb and I expect she'll take me off both.  I've skipped my meds for a day or so just to see and my BP seems to hold at 115-120/70.

If your wife is on meds that might be contributing to the edema - I was originally on 10mg Amlodopine and had immediate significant edema in my feet and the doc changed me up pretty quickly and haven't had an issue since.
Same medicine, same issue for my wife. Her medicines were switched last week after her visits.

This times 1000.
I feel that.  Meal prepping has really helped me.  Grill up or a bake a few pounds of chicken breasts and thighs and/or lean ground turkey, a few cups of brown rice or beans, have salad and veggies on hand.  I'll either package them in takeout containers for each meal or just in big dishes for self serving.  Throw in tasty low calorie condiments like hot sauce, jalapeños, peppers, turmeric, etc depending on mood and create a bowl if you want.  Baby Rays has a great no sugar Hickory sauce if you want that BBQ flavor but I find fresh salsa the best option.   Now I order in maybe a few times a month for my cheat meal because I always have tasty 'free' options in my fridge that don't make me feel like #####.  

Nov 30: 234.4

------

Jan 1: 224.0

Jan 4: 221.6

Jan 8: 219.8

Jan 11: 219.0

Jan 15: 218.2

Jan 19: 220.4

Jan 22: 218.0

Jan 25: 218.4

Jan 28: 215.4

Checking in one day early, leaving for the mountains until Monday with no scale, going to feel weird not knowing my weight until Tuesday morning. I have stayed pretty true to IF, which means to me no eating from 7pm-noon. I have also stopped exercising altogether, but the weight still is dropping, Have also had ice cream and an occasional soda, which I was not doing in December. Feeling really good about hitting 215 today, I was bouncing back into the 220's, hoping those days are behind me.

Goal is 214 by the end of this month, this gets me out of "obese" and just to "overweight" according to BMI. Looking forward to that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Throw in tasty low calorie condiments like hot sauce, jalapeños, peppers, turmeric, etc depending on mood and create a bowl if you want.  Baby Rays has a great no sugar Hickory sauce if you want that BBQ flavor but I find fresh salsa the best option.
One trip-up for us with condiments and flavorings is avoiding sodium -- either sodium chloride (salt) or monosodium glutamate. Both are close to verboten. Turmeric and diced peppers are winners. No pickled jalapeno or BBQ sauce, though.

Going to try making our own salsa at some point ... will check out the sodium content of major brands, though I'm not hopeful. We have family friends who run a Central American restaurant ... might ask them to whip us up a special salsa recipe or pico de gallo for us sans salt.

Users who are viewing this thread