What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ja'Marr Chase, CIN (2 Viewers)

I'm sure I'm not alone in regretting my decision to draft him over Pitts in one of my dynasty leagues. This start to his professional career, outside of an injury, couldn't be more horrible so far....

I'm pretty relieved I took Pitts at 1.01 when I had that pick back in June

A year off, multiple issues with woman, and drops aren’t exactly confidence builders if I was drafting/buying Chase. I’m happy I passed on him in all my leagues for Pitts/Waddle/QB’s(Sflex)

Will not think about drafting.  

That said..................I wasn't going to draft this guy anyway.

Just another in my "DO NOT DRAFT LIST"
I didn't like him or draft him either, so this isn't a "rub it in" post.... just crazy seeing these old posts and how things have changed. 

Currently the WR1 in the entire NFL in standard scoring.

I didn't like him or draft him either, so this isn't a "rub it in" post.... just crazy seeing these old posts and how things have changed. 

Guilty of the august overreaction! Although I'm still plenty happy with the Pitts pick.

#1 overall dynasty asset?
I own him in 3 of 4 dynasties.  I am not trading him in any.  In the 4th I have a win now team (back to back ships) that I passed on him (didn't trade AJ Brown or T. hill) because I thought it would take him a year.  man was that a mistake.

Chase still has a ten cent head. I’d still take Pitts over him although it’s a tougher decision today than it was come draft time. 

To be fair I don't think those folks you quoted that took Pitts over him are too torn up about the guy they took either.  Chase might be the #1 dynasty WR but Pitts is almost certainly the #1 TE at this point.

On pace for 82 catches and 1256 yards as a rookie TE...

Last edited by a moderator:
Still might trade him straight up for Jefferson because of character concerns, but that's about it. Let's see what happens during these next offseasons and with the eventual inevitable media crush. Let's see how he handles it. But this start? Oh my God.

Those were drops with an excuse. One pass a little behind, the others in traffic and he doesn't wanna get knocked out in a meaningless preseason game on passes from Kyle Allen. Chase will be good when it counts. 
A reminder that preseason is overrated and that context matters. And I believe in Chris Simms, although it was an obvious choice. Simms also had Waddle 4th behind Smith and D Brown, calling him a true slot receiver with concerns about his size and ability to win on the outside and straight line speed. That's what I see. 

>>Ja’Marr Chase to me is just a slam dunk…He just has everything. First off, he has the ability to be an elite slot receiver. He’s not the most technique, well-schooled route runner yet, but it’s our old thing: let’s not over evaluate the guy that we’ve seen can do every movement on the planet with his hips and his feet…He could be the best slot in football, but he also could be the best outside weapon in football and just run by you with pure speed…This is the best receiver with the ball in his hands. That’s where he’s special. One, he can separate route running. Two, he plays way bigger than 6’1, 200 lbs. That’s the one thing I like about him, DeVonta Smith, and Dyami Brown. They’re 6-foot, 6’1, all of that, but man, when the ball’s in the air, it’s not 50-50. It’s kind of like 70-30 when the ball is in the air with these guys…As far as going over the middle and being fearless, he’s the most fearless of all of them…I’m really excited about Ja’Marr Chase. He is an awesome receiver, a weapon. He can do everything you want on the offensive side of the ball. You can do it all with him.”<<

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2021/03/23/lsu-wr-jamarr-chase-is-no-1-prospect-on-chris-simms-2021-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-rankings-available-now-on-chris-simms-unbuttoned-podcast/amp/

You know, I was asking myself that question.

I can't immediately think of anyone that I would take over him right now.
Jefferson comes to mind, but does the uncertainty of the potential coaching and/or quarterback change trump Chase's behavioral uncertainty? 

I think it's close. 

I took Chase at 1.05 in an 18-team keeper (keep eight) league. Pitts went 8. Needless to say I'm beyond happy with Chase, especially at number 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Early waiver wire targets and biggest risers/fallers in fantasy football following NFL Week 7

Excerpt:

BIGGEST RISERS

WR Ja’Marr Chase, Cincinnati Bengals: The rookie receiver put together his best game in the NFL. He’s had at least one explosive play in each game, but he was more consistently used in the offense on Sunday. His 26.3% threat rate was the second-best for him in a game after having just 17.1% last week. His aDOT of 12.4 was a season-low, but his targets (10), receptions (8), yards (201), avoided tackles (3) and yards per route run (5.29) were all season-highs. The scary thing is there is even more room for his target share to go up.

I had the 1.3 and 1.5 in my dynasty rookie draft this year. Took Chase at 3 and Pitts at 5. A couple months later, we had our league meeting and the league voted to take our TE scoring from standard scoring to 1 point per reception. 

Considering I haven’t made the playoffs since 2016 and I’m about to be 6-1, I am through the roof. 

Ja'Marr Chase caught 6-of-13 targets for 49 yards in Cincinnati's Week 9 loss to Cleveland.

It was a forgettable performance for Chase, who came up short on multiple opportunities downfield including a dropped end zone target that was thrown perfectly over his shoulder. Chase also had a five-yard reception punched out of his arms for a lost fumble in the second quarter. His usage was still strong as he registered a team-high 32.5% target share from Joe Burrow, out-targeting Tee Higgins 13-8 and recording at least nine targets for the third consecutive game. Chase will return from Cincinnati's bye as a confident WR1 in Week 11 against the Raiders.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Doug Kyed's Week 14 Mailbag: Ja'Marr Chase's recent decline, Indianapolis Colts' Super Bowl chances and Denver Broncos QB conundrum

Excerpt:

@THEKCAPCHA: WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE REASON FOR JA’MARR CHASE’S DECLINE IN PRODUCTION SINCE WEEK 7? #MAILDOUG

The easiest answer is that Chase has regressed to the mean. For a rookie wide receiver, Chase’s early-season production was unsustainable. The Cincinnati Bengals wideout was on pace for over 1,800 yards and 14 touchdowns after seven weeks. At some point, Chase was going to start playing like a normal human being, and defenses were going to adjust to his elite play.

Chase faced what PFF categorizes as “single” coverage on 41.4 percent of his receiving snaps through the first seven weeks of the season, and he caught 26 passes for 700 yards with six touchdowns in single coverage during that span of time. Chase has faced single coverage on just 28.1 percent of his receiving snaps in the last six weeks of the season, and he has five catches for 43 yards with one touchdown in single coverage during that span of time. So, not only is Chase facing less single coverage, he’s also been less effective against it.

Another element, which is related to the first, is that Chase has faced more Cover-3 and Cover-6 schemes over the last six weeks of the season. Opposing defenses were in Cover 3 or 6 on just 40.5 percent of snaps over the first seven weeks of the season, but that has risen to 48.3 percent over the last six weeks.

Chase also simply isn’t playing as well. He has a 61.4 receiving grade with five dropped passes over the last six weeks of the season. He had an 83.4 receiving grade with three dropped passes in the first seven weeks.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Chase. He’ll be a great player, as he showed over the first half of his rookie season, but some growing pains should have been expected after such an explosive start.

JA'MARR CHASE WR, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Speaking Thursday, Ravens DC Wink Martindale told reporters that he would not double or triple team Ja'Marr Chase like he did Davante Adams last week. 

"Adams is one of the top 2 receivers in the league and he's not No. 2. Aaron Rodgers is a Hall of Fame QB," Martindale said, "and I don't think we're ready to buy a gold jacket for Joe." Chase had 201 receiving yards and a touchdown against Baltimore in Week 7 and it appears he'll be put in a spot where those numbers are possible again with Baltimore's DB injury and COVID-19 issues. Chase will be on the WR1/WR2 borderline this week. 

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Dec 23, 2021, 1:21 PM ET

It's a trap! The 2nd game of in division games tend to play out different than the first game. Chase should get his but after his explosion in the first game the Ravens should plan a different look, other than having 2nd tier DB's 😜

There was a reason I stuck my neck out there for Chase in this thread.  The subtle things he was showing at 19 at LSU were special.  He's only 21 and sometimes lacks concentration but there is no other WR I'd take over him right now.  No one

That late game stretch where Chase kept running the same route, Burrows kept throwing the same ball and he just kept winning was pretty crazy.

Bengals have a lot of big, fast and good at WR right now.

That run where he just turn on the boosters and ran by everyone was incredible. 

He is unstoppable and as a rookie. Dont remember this type of electricity in a WR since Calvin came into the league. 
Congrats to you GMs w/Chase on your dynasty rosters.  He's a beast and has the right QB to keep him productive for the foreseeable future. 👍

When asked if Ja'Marr Chase will play Week 18 against the Browns, coach Zac Taylor said, "Potentially."

Joe Burrow won't play, and Joe Mixon is out after testing positive for COVID Wednesday. The Bengals still have a shot at the No. 1 seed in the AFC and homefield advantage throughout, but it may not be worth it to risk Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd, and others with Burrow already sitting.

SOURCE: Ben Baby on Twitter

Jan 5, 2022, 1:11 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread