What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad calls by the REAL Refs today? (1 Viewer)

Pots

Footballguy
Just getting this ready since it looks like the real refs are coming back. They should be under the same microscope as the replacement guys.

I'm expecting a few missed calls and stuff here and there. I'm sure it will take them a week or two too get used to the speed of the game again. At least there won't be 15 minute time outs because of a holding call now though. That should be sweet.

Hey OP, maybe you should video tape yourself at work and then we all can watch it and tell you where you screwed up? It sounds more interesting to me.

Just getting this ready since it looks like the real refs are coming back. They should be under the same microscope as the replacement guys.

I'm expecting a few missed calls and stuff here and there. I'm sure it will take them a week or two too get used to the speed of the game again. At least there won't be 15 minute time outs because of a holding call now though. That should be sweet.
:goodposting:

yes the same scrutiny

lets see how many times they miswalk off yardage

lets see how many games turn into a cheap shot buffet at the end

lets look at them with the SAME scrutiny, which does NOT mean looking simply for a missed call or two, but rather how they handle the job and keep control of a game

lets

Believe it or not, they always are. It isn't like EVERY single play isn't seen by millions of people with DVRs and slow motion instant replays. If they screw up anything major, we've always heard about it. Maybe not as many people chiming in or not for as long, but we've still heard about it.With the real refs, we know there aren't any better options...they truly are the best of the best. But with the replacements, a lot of the issue was that there WERE better options out there. LOTS of better options actually, and the NFL was just toying with it.

Hey OP, maybe you should video tape yourself at work and then we all can watch it and tell you where you screwed up? It sounds more interesting to me.

Pay me what the Refs get paid, and I'll say gladly :thumbup:

Fair is fair. It should be interesting putting the regulars under the microscope. I'll be shocked if it's even close to what we've seen so far this year.

yes the same scrutinylets see how many times they miswalk off yardagelets see how many games turn into a cheap shot buffet at the endlets look at them with the SAME scrutiny, which does NOT mean looking simply for a missed call or two, but rather how they handle the job and keep control of a gamelets
:goodposting: Yeah the whole bashing of the replacement refs just isn't about missed or made calls it's about them not having control of the game. It's not just the calls but awarding extra timeouts, allowing extra challenges,etc...

Big thing will be the speed of the games and control they have over things.

Games were taking too longs.

Bad calls...sure, the real guys made them too...but did not seem to be as much going on.

Wondering how long they take to adjust...and players take to adjust to how the games will again be called.

yes the same scrutinylets see how many times they miswalk off yardagelets see how many games turn into a cheap shot buffet at the endlets look at them with the SAME scrutiny, which does NOT mean looking simply for a missed call or two, but rather how they handle the job and keep control of a gamelets
Exactly... look at the Pats Ravens game.... 8 of the first 12 plays resulted in near-brawls and the replacement refs did NOTHING. Hell edelman took shots to the jaw while trying to get off the line... facemask pulling...etc.... no flags. Players didn't respect the replacement refs and the replacement refs gave them no reason to....

Pay me what the Refs get paid, and I'll say gladly :thumbup:
pay the refs what the players get paid and they'll be happy too

Exactly... look at the Pats Ravens game.... 8 of the first 12 plays resulted in near-brawls and the replacement refs did NOTHING. Hell edelman took shots to the jaw while trying to get off the line... facemask pulling...etc.... no flags. Players didn't respect the replacement refs and the replacement refs gave them no reason to....
ravens eagles was a messskins rams was a messi saw people take swings and nothing was called

I expect a few people in the pool to be falling over themselves to point out every time the refs so much as stutter tonight. :thumbdown:

All I care about is that my stud WRs wont all be getting mugged by corners without flags coming up.

Cue monster stats for stud WRs, boys n gals.

:goodposting: -QG

:goodposting: Yeah the whole bashing of the replacement refs just isn't about missed or made calls it's about them not having control of the game. It's not just the calls but awarding extra timeouts, allowing extra challenges,etc...
:goodposting:

ravens eagles was a messskins rams was a messi saw people take swings and nothing was called
I watched both those games and they were horrible. Each one was like 2 teams met out in some random field with no one else around, and decided to settle all things themselves. Part game, part brawl.

I expect a few people in the pool to be falling over themselves to point out every time the refs so much as stutter tonight. :thumbdown:
Not saying that they should, but was it any different with the Replacement refs?
If your team brought in Arena League players and said "Don't worry, it will be fine.", you would naturally be more critical of poor performance. I think a higher level of scrutiny was justified from the start. In my opinion it was the rules bungling and control issues that led to an even further heightened level of scrutiny on the penalties and judgement calls. There will probably be an iffy roughing the QB or PI call (or no-call) tonight (like pretty much every game), but I'll be shocked if tonight we see any rules, administrative, or control problems on par with what we've seen the first three weeks. If the refs do really bungle something, they will of course deserve criticisim.

Nobody is infallible. They missed calls all the time. It is just they have the best training in the world to do their job so if they screw up I can live with it. My metaphor would be if you had a local police officer working for the FBI and a terrorist attack occurs. Sure terrorist attacks occur under the FBI but I would feel a lot better knowing the best people are out there doing their jobs as opposed to a guy 5 promotions away from the actual job.

As far as the real refs, as people have previously stated, the games should be much smoother and you will not see the fracases that ensued. Heck, I think we'll see an ejection this week if things escalate.

Secondly, I think you'll see the WRs and QBs come back that we are used to seeing so perhaps buy Stafford and the like. CBs were getting away with a lot and even if they were flagged, it still didn't put yards up. With the real refs, you'll see a more closely called games so CBs will stop trying to get away with as much. It won't help teams like GB that much as teams are just going to play cover 2 against them. I'm also interested to see if the NFC West which has been considered a great defensive division will continue to be that way. Haven't seen down field that much but Seattle and Arizona were getting a ton of coverage sacks, so we'll see if those continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
No they shouldn't. What I mean by that is simply that the thought process isn't the same. I've stated this numerous times now - the main thing that seperates the "real" from the "replacement" refs is NOT the bad calls. It's the assumption of validity of outcome. If, for arguments sake, "real" refs would have been officiating the GB/Seattle game and made the exact same call (and keep in mind the replay official wasn't a replacement - so that part would have stayed the same regardless), there would not have been the same degree of outcry. Why? Simple - integrity of the officials and their abilities is presumed. Validity of outcome is assumed.

The fact that is thread titled "NFL supports decision to not overturn Seahawks' TD" is the perfect example of what I am trying to point out. That is to say, that if regular refs had made the same call, there would be no discussion about whether or not it should "stand" - of course it would. We all accept that the "real" refs word is final - albiet occasionally flawed. That simply wasn't the case with the replacements. The fact that some were holding out hope that the league would somehow swoop in and revers the ruling is proof that the replacement refs were not viewed as being the "final authority" whereas real refs are.

I noticed they didn't show the replay of the play Joe and Rice thought there was defensive holding on.

i am hoping for a call to blow the win for one of the teams at the end of the game just for the irony.

3 hour and 15 minute game. Last penalty should have been a non-call but the ref got sucker in. Oher's "holding" penalty was pretty lame although it made up for others that were missed. Several missed PI calls. Not sure what the Browns' unsportsmanlike penalty was about.

At least the real sucky refs looked good stinking it up. They definately bring professionalism to sucking.

3 hour and 15 minute game. Last penalty should have been a non-call but the ref got sucker in. Oher's "holding" penalty was pretty lame although it made up for others that were missed. Several missed PI calls. Not sure what the Browns' unsportsmanlike penalty was about.At least the real sucky refs looked good stinking it up. They definately bring professionalism to sucking.
6min longer than the average replacement ref game. Will the media give them shi!t?

3 hour and 15 minute game. Last penalty should have been a non-call but the ref got sucker in. Oher's "holding" penalty was pretty lame although it made up for others that were missed. Several missed PI calls. Not sure what the Browns' unsportsmanlike penalty was about.At least the real sucky refs looked good stinking it up. They definately bring professionalism to sucking.
6min longer than the average replacement ref game. Will the media give them shi!t?
The best was the review of the Cribb's fumble. After waiting for him to leave the field and a tv timeout they decide to review the play. Not really sure why it was reviewable as that wasn't explained. Per the rule mentioned on TV that shouldn't have been a turnover even though it looked like a fumble.

The best was the review of the Cribb's fumble. After waiting for him to leave the field and a tv timeout they decide to review the play. Not really sure why it was reviewable as that wasn't explained. Per the rule mentioned on TV that shouldn't have been a turnover even though it looked like a fumble.
It definitely was a fumble and every turnover is reviewed automatically by the booth. Just because he got the crap and the ball knocked out of him, that didn't change the fact that it was clearly a fumble and was clearly recovered by the Ravens.Do you say this because his helmet came off?

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely was a fumble and every turnover is reviewed automatically by the booth. Just because he got the crap and the ball knocked out of him, that didn't change the fact that it was clearly a fumble and was clearly recovered by the Ravens.Do you say this because his helmet came off?
Yeah...per Mayock. Of course he screws up more than the fake and real refs combined. Supposedly the helmet coming off ends the play. Who knows what the definition of "off" is. Antoher stupid NFL rule.

Users who are viewing this thread