What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Mid-Year Song Draft - Round 9 this AM, Round 10/all owed picks this afternoon. (2 Viewers)

Here is my #1 song for 2017 from one of my top three albums of the year.  I will promise that all 15 of my selections won't be just in the Country/Americana genres, but we will start that way initially.  First, a song that I just took in Generpalooza II that I spotlighted as one of my favorites from this year.

Round 1 - Chris Stapleton - “Second One To Know” from the album “From A Room, Vol. 1”

While another song became the lead single from the follow-up to Stapleton’s 2015 breakthrough album “Traveller”, this track is the barn burner of the few new tracks that make their way into the nightly setlist.  The song features Chris’ unique vocal cadence with some fine electric gee-tar shredding towards the end.  When this song cranks up on the album, Stapleton is able to take these sections to another level playing live which will make this track a mainstay and highlight of his sets for decades to come.

The album title "From A Room" is not a tongue-in-cheek reference to any ol' room.  It's a reference to the Stapleton's two new 2017 releases as the songs on both of his 2017 projects were recorded in historic RCA Studio A -- hence the albums' titles "From A Room, Vol.1" and "From A Room, Vol. 2".  The producer on both discs was Americana hot-shot producer Dave Cobb, who is RCA Studio A's producer-in-residence and previously produced Stapleton's stellar debut solo disk "Traveller".

RIP Charles Bradley, like that Mr. Jukes song a lot, thanks for sharing it. Also really like this most recent (illegitimate) Ron Gallo pick, never heard of him before. 

Through 14 picks, we've managed to hit Greece, Sweden, Scotland, Australia, England (x2) and USA (x8) already... and that's without any obscure Norwegian or other bands from Eephus and no Canadian bands from me (yet).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't have expected this to be the first song picked from this album but it is a great song/album.
Yeah, I was debating between a couple other songs on the album, but I just really like something about the dreamy slow build to the climactic guitar solo in “i used to.”  

Northern Voice said:
I like this album a lot, I've gone back and forth between three songs, including this one for what my favourite song is on it. I may end up taking one from it before the end of this draft. 
Eephus would be so disappointed.  We aren't going only 1 song/artist? ;)

I won't dip into NV's Canadian pool yet - in the next couple picks though with something from an album that has been near the top of my list for most of the year.  For the am pick I will go with a more recent obsession.  Instantly fell in love with this album, but fair warning that a lot of the rest of it is more morose than this song, but it hits a spot for those kind of days too.   This song is one that I find hitting the replay button on a lot.  Lyrically it's still not an cheery, but the music is more so than the other songs.  Also, since this is an @Northern Voice draft, I should have remembered for the first pick, but I think the draft picks should go with a few italicized lyrics too...

Round 2:

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness

LINK

I have emotional motion sickness
Somebody roll the windows down
There are no words in the English language
I could scream to drown you out

Northern Voice said:
I like this album a lot, I've gone back and forth between three songs, including this one for what my favourite song is on it. I may end up taking one from it before the end of this draft. 
Was on my short list as well for drafting a song.

Northern Voice said:
I am not sure it my favorite either (it is a favorite though) but I am an album guy so I kinda went with one I dig that also has a cool video ;)   

Tellin' Lies is the one that made my Spotify Wrap up top-5

I won't dip into NV's Canadian pool yet - in the next couple picks though with something from an album that has been near the top of my list for most of the year.  For the am pick I will go with a more recent obsession.  Instantly fell in love with this album, but fair warning that a lot of the rest of it is more morose than this song, but it hits a spot for those kind of days too.   This song is one that I find hitting the replay button on a lot.  Lyrically it's still not an cheery, but the music is more so than the other songs.  Also, since this is an @Northern Voice draft, I should have remembered for the first pick, but I think the draft picks should go with a few italicized lyrics too...

Round 2:

Phoebe Bridgers - Motion Sickness

LINK

I have emotional motion sickness
Somebody roll the windows down
There are no words in the English language
I could scream to drown you out
Just heard part of this album for the first time last weekend---really good.  But, yeah, pretty morose.

Just heard part of this album for the first time last weekend---really good.  But, yeah, pretty morose.
The transition from the song I took to the next song Funeral is pretty jarring, and that song sets up the tone for the rest of the album.  Really great, emotional album, but nobody is going to be bringing it to a party any time soon.  

Love the work in here. If there are certain songs unselected, I'll chime in at the end. Great to see ilov getting his groove on.  

Love the work in here. If there are certain songs unselected, I'll chime in at the end. Great to see ilov getting his groove on.  
ok gb, I can't wait any more... even though I've been looking up and down my playlist and intentionally haven't listened to them...

3rd (but 1st in my :wub:  )... why don't you win a medal? .... Well Done- IDLES

and best of all, still a lot of their tunes to take!

ok gb, I can't wait any more... even though I've been looking up and down my playlist and intentionally haven't listened to them...

3rd (but 1st in my :wub:  )... why don't you win a medal? .... Well Done- IDLES

and best of all, still a lot of their tunes to take!
Even Mary Barry likes reggae...

In need to listen to that more. Barely skimmed it over. 
It was the epitome of a grower for me.  Gets better each time.  Overall fairly mellow with a few more upbeat track and some great hooks. Lyrically fantastic. I've seen their sound compared to early DCFC but I hear some Built to Spill at times, some Modest Mouse as well. 

My 2nd pick: Feel it Still - Portugal the Man

Had this pegged as song of the year when it came out in in early March this year.  And despite the fact it's been co-opted by just about everyone (1st noticed it played as bumper music during the NHL draft), I don't care.  Creep in a T-Shirt was in a Taco Bell commercial (if memory serves).  Don't care.  Still a great song and SOD for all intents and purposes.

Can't keep my hands to myself
Think I'll dust 'em off, put 'em back up on the shelf

Last edited by a moderator:
As promised, my entire draft will not be country + Americana.

Round 2 Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - If We Were Vampires from the album “The Nashville Sound”

Isbell writes songs about his life.  His “Cover Me Up” From 2013’s “Southeastern” was a love song to his wife as he emerged from rehab a new man.  Years later, Isbell tugs the heart strings again with “Vampires” which causes the listener to consider the importance of a significant other in a marriage that grows by day.  My 2nd favorite song of the year (for a while my #1) as no other song has hit this emotionally during 2017.

Round 3 - Dave Hause - The Flinch from the album “Bury Me In Philly”

Just a nice slick pop-punk song from this Philly native, evoking some Bryan Adams aspects.  My #3 song of the year can just as easily be #13, that’s how close they are.

My 2nd pick:

Feel it Still by Portugal the Man (link probably not required, but I'll add one later)

Had this pegged as song of the year when it came out in in early March this year.  And despite the fact it's been co-opted by just about everyone (1st noticed it played as bumper music during the NHL draft), I don't care.  Creep in a T-Shirt was in a Taco Bell commercial (if memory serves).  Don't care.  Still a great song and SOD for all intents and purposes.
Yeah I'm surprised that's still around in Rd 3. I actually didn't know it was by PtM until like a month ago.

My 2nd pick:

Feel it Still by Portugal the Man (link probably not required, but I'll add one later)

I would've taken it if nobody else did... totally agree- first time listening it was a punch in the "of course, this is going to be a big one" gut. agree with you- easy non-IDLES song of the year.

also mentioned previously that it feels a lot like electric guest's "this head I hold"- relentlessly catchy, falsetto, upbeat.

I would've taken it if nobody else did... totally agree- first time listening it was a punch in the "of course, this is going to be a big one" gut. agree with you- easy non-IDLES song of the year.

also mentioned previously that it feels a lot like electric guest's "this head I hold"- relentlessly catchy, falsetto, upbeat.
count me as #3 on the "would have picked it eventually" list. I have 2 more from that album that may still get picked. 

My 2nd pick:

Never heard of this one.  

Users who are viewing this thread