What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (3 Viewers)

ericttspikes said:
Was hoping he'd do a larger US tour, but it looks like just NY and LA. 
I'm hoping that he'll  bring everything and the kitchen since, a la the RCMH Ladies and Gentlemen show. Brass, strings and choir. Let's Dance with that treatment would be astounding.

The last time he did just NY and LA, that was the deal. RCMH was the richest sound I've ever heard.

Together PANGEA  :thumbup:    Uncle Acid  :thumbup: :thumbup:

NEW EMMA RUTH :wub:   :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Old REM live #### that sounds like it was recorded on a rotary phone  :sleep: :thumbdown:  

If any band has a right to ape The Go-Betweens, it's The Goon Sax who are fronted (most of the time) by Robert Forster's son Louis.  Their second album "We're Not Talking" retains the quirky charm of their debut but is more accomplished musically.  The band races through twelve songs in less than a half hour.   They come in, plant the hook and get out before growing tiresome.

RIYL:  The Go-Betweens, the Flying Nun bands and all their modern progeny

The Chills have a new record out today but I haven't listened to it yet.

If any band has a right to ape The Go-Betweens, it's The Goon Sax who are fronted (most of the time) by Robert Forster's son Louis.  Their second album "We're Not Talking" retains the quirky charm of their debut but is more accomplished musically.  The band races through twelve songs in less than a half hour.   They come in, plant the hook and get out before growing tiresome.

RIYL:  The Go-Betweens, the Flying Nun bands and all their modern progeny

The Chills have a new record out today but I haven't listened to it yet.
A chills tune was on my rr today. Fairly meh.

Will look for that go-betweens progeny outfit.

Together PANGEA  :thumbup:    Uncle Acid  :thumbup: :thumbup:

NEW EMMA RUTH :wub:   :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Old REM live #### that sounds like it was recorded on a rotary phone  :sleep: :thumbdown:  
Is there a whole together pangea album? I think I had a single pop up, but I wasnt paying much attention.

Lol...uncle acid. I have a band called acid dads playlisted- they might be related or at least know @Ned's Mom

Is there a whole together pangea album? I think I had a single pop up, but I wasnt paying much attention.

Lol...uncle acid. I have a band called acid dads playlisted- they might be related or at least know @Ned's Mom
I'm not sure.. I liked the song, I like the band, check out their acoustic EP from earlier this year if you haven't

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, pretty solid heavy stoner #### from the UK.  I like their overall shtick.

Last edited by a moderator:
JZilla said:
I'm not sure.. I liked the song, I like the band, check out their acoustic EP from earlier this year if you haven't.
Is that the Roosters one? That was good stuff. I like them too

Ok so yeah, I kinda sorta really love the new Dirty Nil album. I'm on listen #2 right now (coincidentally while pooping) and it's already up there on my AoTY list.

Ok so yeah, I kinda sorta really love the new Dirty Nil album. I'm on listen #2 right now (coincidentally while pooping) and it's already up there on my AoTY list.
I think I didn't come back in here and mention it, but they were the "surprise" guest opener for The Hold Steady when I saw them last Friday (the day the album was released), album ####### rules.

Do NOT let Spotify try to tell you there's a new Spoon album. You can't unhear that crap...I've already punched Spotify in the nads for it.
they keep shoveling this fake crap at me and meanwhile I had no idea Failure has been kicking out some pretty good new stuff for a while

still, RR day has become something to look forward to  :thumbup:

My lady is working from home today too and she doesn't like RR day as much, now hiding in the bedroom.  Not a fan of Beak> at 7 am :shrug:  

The new Joyce Manor is pretty good pop punk if that's your thing.

I really like "Sum of All Your Parts" by Kilmarnock band Fatherson.  It's lovely anthemic Scottish pop for the most part.  It occasionally strays into Coldplay/Snow Patrol territory but there are grunge and 90s quiet/loud influences as well.  The singer's accented tenor is more than a little reminiscent of the dearly departed Scott Hutchison.

I have no idea what to make of the new Suede album.  They always had a bit of the drama queen about them but this is really over the top.

The new Joyce Manor is pretty good pop punk if that's your thing.
Really mid-tempo and a bit jangly with the guitars, though. Not really feeling it. It's a record that sounds more sweetly pop than punk or rock in the mix. But I wouldn't known it dropped if you hadn't written about it, so thanks for that.  

Really mid-tempo and a bit jangly with the guitars, though. Not really feeling it. It's a record that sounds more sweetly pop than punk or rock in the mix. But I wouldn't known it dropped if you hadn't written about it, so thanks for that.  
Yeah the emphasis is definitely on the pop side.  It's enjoyable but forgettable.

I'm not sure.. I liked the song, I like the band, check out their acoustic EP from earlier this year if you haven't

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, pretty solid heavy stoner #### from the UK.  I like their overall shtick.
Zilla, check out the new album by (here goes) Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs. In the same vein as Uncle Acid. Sadly, the name is about as unfortunate as Dananananaykroyd. 

It might be missed because it's not on Spotify, but Pinegrove's new album was released today via Bandcamp. There was some controversy around it that Pitchfork covers here. The short version is their lead singer pressured someone he was in a relationship with into having sex and it became a much bigger deal than anyone wanted... he's not exactly R. Kelly.

It might be missed because it's not on Spotify, but Pinegrove's new album was released today via Bandcamp. There was some controversy around it that Pitchfork covers here. The short version is their lead singer pressured someone he was in a relationship with into having sex and it became a much bigger deal than anyone wanted... he's not exactly R. Kelly.
This is an aside, but I'm completely shuked by Pitchfork's "Understand (well known album) in Four Minutes." Maybe just listen to the ####### album?

I loved their last one and [redacted]. I don’t know what’s okay to say anymore. 

Nigel Tufnel said:
Zilla, check out the new album by (here goes) Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs. In the same vein as Uncle Acid. Sadly, the name is about as unfortunate as Dananananaykroyd. 
:thumbup:  I think I checked one tune out before on your rec, will investigate further

ETA - nm it was Floppo!  Solid .. kinda huge sounding, would be good in the car for me, too bad I don't have one

Last edited by a moderator:
I periodically check google for Savages- still one of my favorite debut albums and still bummed they split or are taking a hiatus. whenever I check, seems like all has been quiet on savages front.

but in my Discover Weekly today, this band featuring lead singer from perfect poosay pops up with their first ever single. it's the rhythm section from Savages, now calling themselves 180dB- bass player was the driving force in that band and pretty amazing, so I'm really happy to see her keep at it. the song apparently is a reinvention of a Goldy/skepta single, road-trip, that Goldy asked them to redo as a raging punk tune... and that it is (also with YeahYeahYeah's guitarist). looks like they'll be continuing the collaboration route with a full album in 2019. looking forward in a big way to hearing more of this.

I periodically check google for Savages- still one of my favorite debut albums and still bummed they split or are taking a hiatus. whenever I check, seems like all has been quiet on savages front.

but in my Discover Weekly today, this band featuring lead singer from perfect poosay pops up with their first ever single. it's the rhythm section from Savages, now calling themselves 180dB- bass player was the driving force in that band and pretty amazing, so I'm really happy to see her keep at it. the song apparently is a reinvention of a Goldy/skepta single, road-trip, that Goldy asked them to redo as a raging punk tune... and that it is (also with YeahYeahYeah's guitarist). looks like they'll be continuing the collaboration route with a full album in 2019. looking forward in a big way to hearing more of this.
Wow. Meredith Graves, Savages, and Nick Zinner? That sounds like sort of a can't miss. So much writing talent, and he also does production.    

after a couple not so hot weeks from Spotify with DW and RR, I ventured out into playlist world. listening to KEXP's song of the day 2018, which has been a decent start. (KCRW used to have a great and updated playlist that was similar- but IIRC not limited to new releases).

JOHN (TIMESTWO) popped up and made me remember The Three Johns and wonder if there are any other multiples of John bands out of there. the former's singer made me want to clear my throat... but the overall sound is in my wheelhouse.

Users who are viewing this thread