What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2019 (Spotify playlists in 1st post) (1 Viewer)

I've mentioned IDLES drummer, jon's Spotify playlist which he updates quarterly or so. Just updated, and fantastic as always- wide mix of genres, current and old.

This one has a JB tune from the Payback. Now, I've always thought of this album as one of my faves JBs...but I don't think I've listened to the whole thing in 20+ years. Rectified over the last 24 hours...and maybe even better than I remembered.

exciting looking RR this week...

stereolab (not sure if new or old... first one up and sounds new)

twin peaks

GRMLN

of montreal

modest mouse

dizzy rascal (guesting)

billie eilish

boy azooga

flying lotus

grimes

pan amsterdam

moses sumney

lauryn hill

jeff rosenstock

omgomgomg... pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs w/ somebody called COLOSSAL SQUID (all-caps, so they must be amazing)

and more!

exciting looking RR this week...

stereolab (not sure if new or old... first one up and sounds new)

twin peaks

GRMLN

of montreal

modest mouse

dizzy rascal (guesting)

billie eilish

boy azooga

flying lotus

grimes

pan amsterdam

moses sumney

lauryn hill

jeff rosenstock

omgomgomg... pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs pigs w/ somebody called COLOSSAL SQUID (all-caps, so they must be amazing)

and more!
i have several of these.

also the shins and a bunch of DJ Shadow, including tracks with Nas, Wu-Tang, De La Soul, Gift of Gab, Run the Jewels and more.  Not sure if all these are new as its part of a double album.  The Run The Jewels one definitely is a different title than from before.

I'll give a very similar plug.  

My daughter's friend is in a band called Lula Wiles that recently released their 2nd album.  It's receiving some pretty good reviews and they are touring more nationally now. They play bluegrass/folk and sing some beautiful harmonies. Although not totally in my wheelhouse I'm liking the album quite a bit---and it did receive @simey's seal of approval :)  

Her friend also graduated from Berklee CoM (in 2016) and has moved to Nashville with her band mates.  When did your daughter's friend graduate from Berklee?
I saw Lula Wiles this past Friday, and they were very good. You are right about their harmonies, and all three have a nice voice. Each one had a song/songs where they were the lead singer, and then sometimes they all sang together throughout the song.  All three are multi-instrumentalist too. I enjoyed the show. I contacted Merlefest, and suggested they should book them.  

I am about to jump into christmas music with both feet, and probably will not have any new albums make the cut, but for what it is worth, here is the list albums that I will narrow down to my top-20 AoTY list (order is pretty much when I added it to my list)

#1 will either be PUP or Charly Bliss or Pkew Pkew Plew and some combination of Sturgill Simpson, FIDLAR, Chris Farren, and Jade Bird will likely round out the top 5... I think, I dunno... that list always depends on which way the wind is blowing when I make it. 

FIDLAR - Almost Free

This is Not the End Album by Spielbergs

Mike Krol - Power Chords

Dollar Signs ep

Reconciler - Set Us Free

Czarface meets Ghostface

Pkew Pkew Pkew - Optimal Lifestyles

Snash - EP

Blood Command - Return of the Arsonist

White Denim - Side Effects

Teenage Bottlerocket - Stay Rad!

Billie Eilish

Epic Beard Men

PUP - Morbid Stuff

Masked Intruder : iii

Clowns - Nature / Nurture

Heart Attack Man - Fake Blood

Harley Poe - Have a Nice Day.

Dead Bars - Regulars

Vampire Weekend - Father of the Bride

ZigZags - They'll Never Take Us Alive

Charly Bliss - Young Enough

Free Throw - What's Past is Prologue

Big Nothing - Chris

Jade Bird self titled

Pile - Green and Gray

The Raconteurs - Help Us Stranger

Prince Daddy & The Hyena - Cosmic Thrill Seekers

Stuck Out Here - Until We're Each Someone Else

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Infest the Rat's Nest

Tool

Off With Their Heads - Be Good

Sheer Mag - A Distant Call

Ghostface Killahs

Sturgill Simpson - Sound & Fury

Chris Farren - Born Hot

Death Rosenstock -Thanks, sorry!

McCafferty - The House With No Doorbell

The Black Keys - Let's Rock
ETA: Crap, I guess I don't know how to make a spoiler after all...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am about to jump into christmas music with both feet, and probably will not have any new albums make the cut, but for what it is worth, here is the list albums that I will narrow down to my top-20 AoTY list (order is pretty much when I added it to my list)

#1 will either be PUP or Charly Bliss or Pkew Pkew Plew and some combination of Sturgill Simpson, FIDLAR, Chris Farren, and Jade Bird will likely round out the top 5... I think, I dunno... that list always depends on which way the wind is blowing when I make it. 

ETA: Crap, I guess I don't know how to make a spoiler after all...
thanks for spoiling it for me, jerk!

RR this week...

I got to the first one and got excited:

canshaker pi (single- listening now... really good, but different sound- feels tighter and more produced and less guitar)

beck

amason

####kid

jose james

sports team

orielles

circa waves

destroyer

There are a couple of new tribute albums that might appeal to some here.

Ben Lee's Quarter Century Classix takes on indie rock from the 90s and 00s.  His introspective versions don't blow away any of the originals but underscore the quality of the songwriting.

Track listing

1. Web In Front by Archers of Loaf
  2. Blueprint by Fugazi
  3. Divine Hammer by The Breeders
  4. Car by Built to Spill
  5. Sugar Kane by Sonic Youth
  6. Get Me by Dinosaur Jr
  7. In The Mouth A Desert by Pavement
  8. Goldheart Mountain Top Queen Directory by Guided by Voices
  9. Speeding Motorcycle by Daniel Johnston
  10. Brand New Love by Sebadoh
  11. Ingrown by Smudge
  12. My Noise by Superchunk
  13. Godsend by Beat Happening

Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Waits is another tribute to Tom Waits, this time from the distaff side of the barn.  I haven't listened to it yet but the song and artist list looks promising:

Aimee Mann, Patty Griffin, Rosanne Cash, Phoebe Bridgers, Joseph, Shelby Lynne, Allison Moorer, Corinne Baily Rae, Courtney Marie Andrews, Kat Edmonson, The Wild Reeds, Iris Dement and Angie McMahon

There are a couple of new tribute albums that might appeal to some here.

Ben Lee's Quarter Century Classix takes on indie rock from the 90s and 00s.  His introspective versions don't blow away any of the originals but underscore the quality of the songwriting.

Come On Up To The House: Women Sing Waits is another tribute to Tom Waits, this time from the distaff side of the barn.  I haven't listened to it yet but the song and artist list looks promising:
FYI, both of your links go to the Waits album.

Here is Ben Lee

Haven't had much time but I like this week's new Trampled by Turtles and the cover is nice too!

Spaced on checking out most of last week's RR so I'm glad others posted theirs, I still need to check some of this stuff out

Haven't had much time but I like this week's new Trampled by Turtles and the cover is nice too!

Spaced on checking out most of last week's RR so I'm glad others posted theirs, I still need to check some of this stuff out
Blood Incantation has a new one out :headbang:

Just getting to my RR...

Pretty stinky this week, outside of a couple great tracks...

You stole my plimsoles...international teachers of pop with the guy from sleaford mods.

Tabloid newspaper.... Hotel Lux

Pretty... Mini skirt

Well, I guess that solidifies my AoTY pick... per Spotify, my top 5 songs from this year all from the same album.

This is good.  Now I'm a little sorry I didn't go see them at Download.  I'm always a little reluctant on new lead singers.  And I think we had to pick between them and Nova Twins.  But yeah, this is good.
I’ve been binging on them this week. So good. More bands should sound exactly like them. That would be cool. 

My top artist of Spring was Yngwie!  Makes sense I guess since I made a bomb ### playlist

Summer, Peter Gabriel, same deal

ZIllartist of the year: Pile

Most played song of the year: Feet 🦶 

still leading off my playlist

Pearl Jam appears to have thrown up a bunch of their Christmas tunes, FWIW

New Greg Dulli ❤️

Users who are viewing this thread