What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2018 - playlists in post #1 (2 Viewers)

dunno why google alerted me that A Place to Bury Strangers has a new album out... but looking forward to it. I think it's their 2nd album this year? (eta: the single on spotify is all kinds of synth/computery sound... a shift- but still sounds like them and good. not sure how it might sound across the the whole album... will find out later)

my Spotify's RR looks good finally... gonna be a good morning o' music:

Courtney Barnett (eta: more bluesy rock ala her work with kurt vile... doesn't hear anything I haven't already heard from her).

Echo & B men (looks like the full album of reinventions is out)

Broncho (eta: sounds like a 70s bubble-gum pop single- not turning my crank)

Kurt Vile (eta: see courtney barnett)

Pond

Drenge

Titus Andronicus (eta: dylan-esque... not sure here).

Lizzo

Pip Blom

Insecure Men

A Certain Ratio (?!- must be a re-release)

Ron Gallo

Soccer Mommy

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an aside, but I'm completely shuked by Pitchfork's "Understand (well known album) in Four Minutes." Maybe just listen to the ####### album?
I totally get the sentiment, but if you haven't heard the album yet, sometimes the backstory itself is a promo to spur listening. And sometimes you just want another take on an album you love. 

But yeah, there are a lot of those out there, possibly for people who want to sound like they know what they're talking about but don't want to listen. Or for people who consume their music like a thoroughly modern Millie (is anything less modern than that phrase?) one single song by a band or artist at a time, knowing nothing really of the band.  

And when's that new Vampire Weekend thing dropping?  

eta* I'm checking out the Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs thing. Sounds like a rocker.  

that echo and bunnymen album of redone songs is pretty ####### great... if you like their stuff. not that I've ever forgotten about them, but they had a lot of good #### that I just hadn't listened to much (mostly due to over-listening back in the day), so this reinterpretation thing is bringing me right back in. them and chemical bros were the loudest concerts I've ever been to.

eta: looks like there might be a new track mixed in there too... "how far". not that ####### great.

dunno why google alerted me that A Place to Bury Strangers has a new album out... but looking forward to it. I think it's their 2nd album this year? (eta: the single on spotify is all kinds of synth/computery sound... a shift- but still sounds like them and good. not sure how it might sound across the the whole album... will find out later)

I'm a dope. it's an album of remixes. but it's remixes by people like no-age, METZ, slowdive... so not all night at the roxbury uhn-tsz-unh-tsz-uhn-tsz head-bobby.

Huh. Because of this, I just put it on. Came out today?  
Yes. Parts of it sound like standard weird ####ed Up songs. Then parts of it sound like weird ####ed Up songs, except their is disco, power pop, straight up rock. And all the standard stuff (big vocals, saxophones, strings, spoken work sections). It's a more pop or accessible ####ed Up. And they've always been a band that I love their big bangers (Queen of Hearts, The Other Shoe, etc..) but their tendency for 80 minute albums of pure non stop in your face noise is a bit much for me, so when they mix it up here, it's perfect for me, and makes the louder stuff that much more impactful IMO.

Yes. Parts of it sound like standard weird ####ed Up songs. Then parts of it sound like weird ####ed Up songs, except their is disco, power pop, straight up rock. And all the standard stuff (big vocals, saxophones, strings, spoken work sections). It's a more pop or accessible ####ed Up. And they've always been a band that I love their big bangers (Queen of Hearts, The Other Shoe, etc..) but their tendency for 80 minute albums of pure non stop in your face noise is a bit much for me, so when they mix it up here, it's perfect for me, and makes the louder stuff that much more impactful IMO.
Cool. I just listened to the first track and it had a '90s ska vibe underneath it. A little weird.

I'm still stuck on Hidden World, though, so The Chemistry of Common Life and David Comes To Life are still sort of lingering around. I listened to parts of David Comes To Life and really liked it, but for some reason (I think I was in law school) when Chemistry came out, I wasn't in the mood for fifteen minute-long punk opuses. It didn't appeal to me then. 

I get what you're saying about the 80 minutes. I need ####ed Up in small doses, too. I also think they cut "Crusades" and never were finer than that nor had a higher point, so I sort of just shrug about them, respect the fact that they're a great band, and think maybe I'm just a little too old or rigid for them. 

Ron Gallo

all over the place in a really good way. liking this a lot- scratching lots of itches.

eta: love supreme (work together) is one of my immediate grabber favorite tunes in a while (since those first PQ singles dropped).

didn't have the right mood to get past the first ####ed up song... looking forward to checking it out when the mood is right.

Dose Your Dreams is a whirlwind. Kinda busy and overproduced (I think DC2L had my favorite guitar tones ever) but I’m into it. 

Still can't get into ###### Up, but Cursive is pretty great.  Rejuvenated, I guess the guy needed something to focus on.  It's too bad we're all gonna die

The new Swearin' too.. they sound like two different bands depending who's singing but they're both on Fort Apache for sure

I can't get past growly Gus singing stylee in ####ed up...even though the album, musically, is fantastic. Deafheaven is the same for me- have to be in exactly the right mood, and then it's all kinds of heck yes.

JOHN (TIMESTWO) popped up and made me remember The Three Johns and wonder if there are any other multiples of John bands out of there. the former's singer made me want to clear my throat... but the overall sound is in my wheelhouse.
Still want to clear my throat, but this album is pretty great. Has a bit of lemy/Motorhead mixed with the usual hard driving post stuff I like. 3 chords in yo face.

"Fall Into the Sun" from Swearin' is pretty good.  They're a three-piece indie band with girl and boy singers who aren't doing anything revolutionary but have an album of good songs.  Allison Crutchfield is Waxahatchee's sister with a similar voice.  "Grow Into a Ghost"

Welsh band Estrons' debut LP starts off like gangbusters with "Lilac" but eventually settles into something like a poppier version of Savages.

spotify RR of interest...

singles:

cloud nothings

peter bjorn and john

speedy ortiz

GRMLN

Bully (eta ***ALERT*** this is not the bully you are looking for)

Sundara Karma (after a nice couple singles, they've turned into corporate yuck.. or maybe they always were- but I'm out)

FIDLAR (eta: didn't like- more kurt viley blues/roots rock than in yo face)

Yak (eta: decent- looking forward to a new album hopefully)

Joe Jackson? (big fan of his... and seem to recall a recent album that was pretty good- haven't listened to much)

Flatworms

eta: new weezer single, can't knock the hustle, is horrible.

Albums:

dodos with a new album- they've been pretty consistent with some good, not great stuff. but the first couple singles haven't grabbed me at all.

django django

kurt vile (feel like he and Courtney Barnett have morphed into some kind of sci-fi version of themselves after their duo album together. starting to burn out a little on the sound)

BRONCHO (first couple singles have been hit or miss- hopefully after that last awful album, they're back to the good stuff from their first couple)

I like the Django Django EP more than their album from this January.

The new Elvis Costello is in full croon mode.  It hardly rocks at all and will probably take a few listens to sink in.

John Grant is just bizarre.

Looks like Against Me! is coming out with a covers record.  By the numbers take on "People Who Died" :shrug:

New Jeff the Brotherhood is out and supposed to be good. I think I’ll listen to it. 
Got around to listening to this and I liked it. But, damn, it's like a whole different thing. Is their a chick in the band now? Miles different than Heavy Days, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not too sure how much run the 2 piece garage/punk thing would've gotten them. 

Looks like Against Me! is coming out with a covers record.  By the numbers take on "People Who Died" :shrug:
It's a compilation album 'Songs that Saved My Life'. I'm way more curious to hear Taking Back Sunday cover 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings' than I'd like to admit. The Maine's doing Transatlanticsim should be interesting too

Songs That Saved My Life looks to engage current artists with cover versions of those songs and share those stories with the world. This project benefits a variety of mental health and suicide prevention organizations. Currently, this project benefits Crisis Text Line, Hope For The Day, The Trevor Project, and To Write Love On Her Arms.

Last month, the Songs That Saved My Life grant was announced. The $10,000 grant will be awarded to a fan or band partnering with a non-profit organization related to mental health awareness and/or suicide prevention. Applications are open now and due on October 12th. To apply, visit songsthatsavedmylife.com/grant.

Songs That Saved My Life Track Listing:

1. Neck Deep – Torn (originally made famous by Natalie Imbruglia)

2. Movements – Losing My Religion (originally made famous by R.E.M.)

3. Stand Atlantic – Your Graduation (originally made famous by Modern Baseball)

4. Dance Gavin Dance – Semi Charmed Life (originally made famous by Third Eye Blind)

5. Against Me! – People Who Died (originally made famous by The Jim Carroll Band)

6. Taking Back Sunday – Bullet With Butterfly Wings (originally made famous by Smashing Pumpkins)

7. Dream State – Crawling (originally made famous by Linkin Park)

8. As It Is – Such Great Heights (originally made famous by The Postal Service)

9. Oceans Ate Alaska – Shape of my Heart (originally made famous by Sting)

10. Too Close To Touch – Let It Be (originally made famous by The Beatles)

11. Dan Campbell & Ace Enders – Broom People (originally made famous by The Mountain Goats)

12. The Maine – Transatlanticism (originally made famous by Death Cab For Cutie)

Ah

On the subject, there's a redux of The Wall coming out with some interesting artists.. Mark Lanegan has one on it that popped up for me

Nigel Tufnel said:
Pinegrove on Spotify today. New Uncle Acid and I’m gonna check out this David Nance Group thing. 
These are all pfg. Pinegrove is a bit of a downer overall but nice. I love that people still make music like whatever Uncle Acid is. Rawks. DNG: RIYL Neil Young, MMJ, Steve Gunn

I've been consistently impressed with GRMLN.  Surprised at that lack of love 'round these parts...

Honey Hahs showed up with the 1st song on my Discover weekly today and I liked the song (Stop Him) so much I went straight to the album (Dear Someone, Happy Something).  :thumbup:

I've been consistently impressed with GRMLN.  Surprised at that lack of love 'round these parts...

Honey Hahs showed up with the 1st song on my Discover weekly today and I liked the song (Stop Him) so much I went straight to the album (Dear Someone, Happy Something).  :thumbup:
Honey Hahs .. fascinating story; I knew they sounded young, but wow.  Rough Trade I remember from the Smiths.  That's a real label!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jul/08/the-three-sister-pop-group-the-honey-hahs-we-dont-want-to-get-too-massive

Coming around on this being in the conversation for AotY. So many different things on here that don’t sound like FU but it’s all so good I’m just throwing my hands up and letting it all go. This is their White Album. 
Wow. I really need to listen to this, then. What am I missing?  

Users who are viewing this thread