Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hov34

Power Pop

Recommended Posts

Feel like White Reaper's new album is pretty solid power pop. But I'm not a power pop expert, so ymmv.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to see you smile by bad englorsh was pretty horrible take that to the bank brohans

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 2:04 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

Couldn't I Just Tell You - Todd Rundgren

just one of many ... 

Thought you might be interested in this. Maybe?

https://store.rhino.com/special-edition-shops/record-store-day/the-complete-u-s-bearsville-warner-bros-singles.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My personal top 10, no order:

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Brinsley Schwarz - (What’s So Funny About) Peace Love and Understanding

Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy

Badfinger - No Matter What

Cheap Trick - Surrender

OK Go - Here it Goes Again

White Reaper - 1F

Flamin’ Groovies - Shake Some Action

Exploding Hearts - Modern Kicks

Hoodoo Gurus - I Want You Back

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 5:39 PM, Quint said:

Great call - came here to post this one. Have rediscovered it recently.

“Go All The Way” by the Raspberries is often cited as one of the grandfathers of power pop.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Anderson Council

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kLYx6ibSIAvNIx00k7z9cukVdl4GNc4XI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really, you could put the entire Smithereens catalog on shuffle and you're good. I think I'll do that right now.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, D_House said:

My personal top 10, no order:

Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend

Brinsley Schwarz - (What’s So Funny About) Peace Love and Understanding

Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy

Badfinger - No Matter What

Cheap Trick - Surrender

OK Go - Here it Goes Again

White Reaper - 1F

Flamin’ Groovies - Shake Some Action

Exploding Hearts - Modern Kicks

Hoodoo Gurus - I Want You Back

Huh. I never knew I liked power pop.  You sure Gin Blossoms qualify?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Huh. I never knew I liked power pop.  You sure Gin Blossoms qualify?

Pretty sure.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kevzilla said:

Really, you could put the entire Smithereens catalog on shuffle and you're good. I think I'll do that right now.

Didn't realize there was another Smithereens fan here.

Since the word 'pop' was used, I give you Top of the Pops.

When my teenage son heard this one, he asked if they were a 90's boy band.  Maybe if they had branded themselves that way they would have been more popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Smithereens fan here. 
 

ETA: Hoodoo Gurus are vastly underrated imo

Edited by Osaurus
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

Big Smithereens fan here. 
 

ETA: Hoodoo Gurus are vastly underrated imo

I think I love you.

 

I've mentioned this here before, but in ~87-88 I went to see The Bangles in part because the Gurus were opening for them.  Sadly, we got caught in a traffic jam and missed them completely. Though I didn't keep close track of them after the 80's, they did surprise me with this gem from about 10 years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I think I love you.

 

I've mentioned this here before, but in ~87-88 I went to see The Bangles in part because the Gurus were opening for them.  Sadly, we got caught in a traffic jam and missed them completely. Though I didn't keep close track of them after the 80's, they did surprise me with this gem from about 10 years ago.

My HS band covered two or three HG songs when that album came out...dig it up, I want you back...forgetting the other. Loved the album and really fun to play. Never got to see them live thiugh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

My HS band covered two or three HG songs when that album came out...dig it up, I want you back...forgetting the other. Loved the album and really fun to play. Never got to see them live thiugh

Could it have been Like Wow Wipeout

I Want You Back was the first song of theirs that I heard. With that trippy video that went with it, I was hooked.

Back to America's Band Since 1980, I'm hoping to catch them next year if/when they come around with Marshall Crenshaw. They supposedly do a meet and greet after the show.  Would love to just shake their hands and thank them for their music.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Could it have been Like Wow Wipeout

I Want You Back was the first song of theirs that I heard. With that trippy video that went with it, I was hooked.

Back to America's Band Since 1980, I'm hoping to catch them next year if/when they come around with Marshall Crenshaw. They supposedly do a meet and greet after the show.  Would love to just shake their hands and thank them for their music.

YES!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Otis said:

wtf is power pop 

It looks ike we have 20 different definitions.  From Wikipedia:  The genre typically incorporates melodic hooks, vocal harmonies, an energetic performance, and "happy"-sounding music underpinned by a sense of yearning, longing, or despair.

Here's a few examples that I have filed away under "power pop."

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

Not sure why I got the "laughing" smiley from @Charlie Steiner.

Sorry, I guess I was feeling a little music-snobby.  I just never thought of Pumped Up Kicks or 99 Red Balloons as power pop songs. I'll get off my high horse. Like you said, there are many different definitions. What's power pop to me may not be the same to you as well, and that's ok.  Carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Charlie Steiner said:

Sorry, I guess I was feeling a little music-snobby.  I just never thought of Pumped Up Kicks or 99 Red Balloons as power pop songs. I'll get off my high horse. Like you said, there are many different definitions. What's power pop to me may not be the same to you as well, and that's ok.  Carry on.

It's not every day I get out-snobbed.  Well-played.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admitted earlier to not being an expert, but for me it needs to be a bit stadium rock, but lite. And pop to me is usually 4/4 and in a major key. I make my own rules.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Apple Jack said:

Best Bob Pollard pop > best of everyone else combined

Well, he's recorded more songs than everyone else combined :shrug:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I admitted earlier to not being an expert, but for me it needs to be a bit stadium rock, but lite. And pop to me is usually 4/4 and in a major key. I make my own rules.

Sounds right.   Power pop is not an era.  Its a style.  Maybe light rock with a good hook.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Otis said:

wtf is power pop 

A pretty great genre, Kemoslobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, Eephus said:

The Power Pop collaborative playlist from Genrepalooza I is pretty awesome

Search for a guy named Ken Oatman on Spotify.  Dude has dozens of power pop playlists.  It’s pretty damn impressive.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.